“Other Deluxes Better”

Disney's Beach Club Resort
Ranked #57 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed May 24, 2007

May 17-21st. 2007 - Our sixth trip to WDW in a year(20 overall) - we've stayed in nearly every resort on property and this is the first Deluxe we would not recommend. A few quirks add up to a not so deluxe hotel.
At the Poly, guests and castmembers alike greet each other warmly, a nice Aloha, almost like family. At the Beach club it was an entirely different feel: stuffy, pretentious people everywhere. If all your clothing has an IZOD gator logo on it, you always turn your collars up, and you greet your guests with a "Dahhrliiing its been so longggg" with a couple of "air-kisses" thrown in for good measure then this is the place for you...
The much bragged about pool was okay - hardly a "miniature water park" as one site listed it. Nice but again other resorts have equally nice pools.
No food court for breakfast - just a small selection of muffins and one hot entree in the gift shop.
The bathrooms at this resort were smaller and more cramped than those at the moderates, and we were in a deluxe room. No privacy at the sinks from the rest of the room ( again the moderates offer a door or curtain to separate the bathroom area from the rest of the room.
Pluses: Super close to EPCOT - literally a few hundred yards from the corner of the property, and close to Boardwalk, A fun pool for the kids, but again not the only one on WDW property.
For the cost involved and considering all aspects, cleanliness, closeness to the parks, resort amenities, staff friendliness, and professionalism and food availability. I would have to go with a thumbs down on this one. If you're looking for a good moderate I recommend the Port Orleans French Quarter, top of the line. And for Deluxe - nothing beats the Polynesian considering all criteria listed above.

8  Thank DisneyFan_natic

Reviewed May 13, 2007

Using a employee discount, we (two adults, two teens) stayed here from May 2 through May 6th. We used the Magical Bus to get to the hotel. It was a bit delayed at the airport, which added to the anxiety of wanting to 'just get there already'.

Check-in was easy. Our room was on the lower level, right near the kids babysitting area. At first I was a bit leary, but honestly we never heard the kiddos. However, the people in the hallway were very loud......don't people realize that when it is 7 am, not everyone is up?

Having stayed here before, once in the villa, and once in the resort; I knew what to expect for atmosphere and amenities. I was surprised to see that his room was very different (smaller, not as well appointed) as the one I stayed in last July. When I asked about this at the desk, no one could tell me the reason. In fact, I think they thought I was nuts. But I know it was smaller and seemed a bit 'older'.

Anyway....the room was immaculate, and was made up perfectly each day. Our second to last day, we did get a knock at 8 am for mousekeeping. I knew I should have asked for one of those 'do not disturb' signs.

The location of the Beach Club is perfect. Walk to Epcot and you can walk to MGM. The pools are wonderful, the beach and looking out over the boardwalk area is just fun! Mostly families and older couples stay here. No problems with unsupervised teens, etc.

The employees in the Marketplace (where you can get food, etc.,) were very friendly. We did buy the $11.99 refillable mug and got a lot of use from it. We brought our own breakfast items (bagels, yogurt) and supplemented with the fresh fruit purchased in the Marketplace.

We did eat at Beaches and Cream for our last lunch there. The food was really good and great, friendly service.

What it boils down to is you are paying for the location. We were hardly ever in our room. We did use the pools. But for $200+ to just 'sleep' it is a lot of money. But, having stayed elsewhere in Disney; it is our favorite location by far. I would stay again, but try to get an upstairs room, and in the newer area.

10  Thank dentalhy
Reviewed May 9, 2007

Let's face it... Anything in Disney is overpriced. You pay for what you get not get what you pay for. We stayed here for 4 nights and then went on the Disney Cruise. (We were disappointed with the cruise as the food for children under 10 to choose from was very minimal, among other things) We found the location and property to be as expected. We were upgraded for free to the concierge level without even asking which was nice but we still felt the upgrade was not worth the price.(and as mentioned, it was free.)

As other's have mentioned, some of the property is in need of updating. The room had to have been a recent renovate because it was as expected, very nice. I found the pool area really run down. However, it may be do to the unruly guests and not the lack of trying by the hotel staff. We also were assigned a room at the very end of a hallway. We did not care as we are mid aged and "somewhat" fit however, I noticed a few people who where having trouble and complaining of the distance they were away from the elevators. Everything in Disney is a far walk, including your room.

We stayed at the Hard Rock for 3 nights and it just seemed to be a better run facility and was in much nicer condition. It was also cheaper than the beach club. (not by much though) I feel since we stayed there first I had a comparable park hotel to go apples to apples with the beach club, although nice, it just lacked the Magic. I will also mention that Disney Fast Pass doesn't even come close to the Universal express. (The express is what you hope for for the money.)

In summary, I liked this property and it pretty much delivered what I thought it would. I can only give it an average rating do to the cost for what you get. And again, that is not fault of this property... That is just Disney.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank Vegastrip
Reviewed May 5, 2007

My family of five just returned from a week's vacation at Walt Disney World and we had a very positive experience with Disney's Beach Club resort. Five of us (kids ages 9, 7 and 5) fit comfortably in a standard room with two queen size beds and a single day bed. Although a little tight, the only time we spent in the room was to sleep and change our clothes. The room, including the bathroom, was clean and we did not experience any of the problems others referred to in their reviews.

Disney offers a number of resort choices for a variety of budgets. The two things that make the Beach Club standout from the others is the amazing pool and it's close proximity to Epcot and MGM.

The pool was awesome for people of all ages. First, it was huge and meandered around the property. While there were alot of people using the pool, it never felt crowded and you could find a chair or two, particularly in the sun. Unlike other resorts I have visited, the chairs in the shade were the first to go. The depth ranged from 2 feet to 6 feet. The big hit with my family was the part of the pool that had a large mound of sand in the middle of it. It was like going to the beach and my five year old son loved sitting in the water and playing in the sand with the bucket and shovel that could be found all over the place. The sand is the unique feature of this pool...it is on the bottom of the entire pool. For the older kids and adults there is a real nice water slide and a whirlpool area in the main pool.

As I said before, the other thing that makes the Beach Club standout is it's promximity to Epcot and MGM. For Epoct it is a five minute walk to the back gate. This was great as we were able to run and catch Illuminations several times during our stay. To get to MGM it is a short boat ride or about a mile long walk. We always took the boat which seemed to run on a 15 minute schedule.

Bus transportation is provided to reach all of the other parts of Walt Disney World.

All in all, a very pleasant experience and we will definitely return to the Beach Club when we return to Disney. If you have a young family, the pool and the proximity to Epcot and MGM are well worth the premium price.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
12  Thank LongIsland53
Reviewed May 1, 2007

I had stayed at the Beach Club several years ago for a business conference and liked it. I chose it for this trip, which was a vacation with a 7 year old (and her first trip to Disney) primarily for its great pool - the best in the "World" and its location.

The rooms were as spacious as I recalled and clean.The theme is that of an old fashioned New England beach resort - with of course, lots of Mickey. Cute -in that Disney way. But the rooms are tired, the bedspreads are "pilly': and need to be replaced and the sheets and blankets are of a cheap motel quality and are almost shabby. Althought the beds were comfortable enough they were no Heavenly Beds! Not even close.Our room included what they call a day bed - it had a very narrow thin foam pad to sleep on, it would only work for a young child.

The vanity with double sinks is very nicely laid out in an alcove; however the bathroom itself , with toilet and tub is smaller than average and again the tub is old and tired looking.- as are the towels. One of the sliding doors in he closet was broken and we had to call about it

The thing that bugs me here is that Disney markets this as a Deluxe property....and we paid close to $400 per night for a standard room. These rooms need to be refurbushed and they offer none of the amenities ( robes, turn down service etc.)that one expects from a deluxe property

One expects superior service in a Deluxe property and Disney did not deliver. The front desk was a split with one half of the staff being great and the other half seemed barely trained. We had some problems at check in and a convuluted scenario with our baggage not being delivered. When we called and spoke to a Robert at the bell desk, he told us he did not know where our bags were...litteraly talked gibberish and gave us the run around,didn;t call back etc. We later found out he had been just one week on the job and he was not supposed to be left alone And he was left alone. The result we had a frustrating wait of almost 2 hours. The managment knew but offered no real apology.

We found the same at the Conceirge Desk - some were fabulous, knew their stuff and went out of their way to help but one woman on the desk barely knew how to book something in the system.

Housekeeping I would give a C-.. They did the least amount possbile. On two occassions we came back from the parks between 1:30-2pm to find the room not made up. I had to call and once I was told my room would not be cleaned until 5PM because there were too many check-outs that day! I protested and they sent a maid. Again, a deluxe property where one pays $400 a night and you can't get your room cleaned!

Dining I would give a B+. Cape May has a really good buffet, reasonably priced - howerver since they offer a character breakfast you can't get in ther in the AM without advance reservations.They do provide a good venue in the Marketplace, One half is devoted to "grab and go" fare and for breakfast there is an assortment of pastries, bagels, fruit etc. But if you wanted to sit down, relax and have some eggs - apparently you are out of luck. What's up with that?

The pool gets an A+, huge and like a waterpark it's great fun for the kids. Our 7 year old loved the waterslide and the lifeguards really do their job.

The poolside grille is good with some healthy choices. And there is a great ice cream shop, poolside as well - the other half is a grille where you can get in out of the sun, sit and eat a burger.

Our room was at the end (closest to Epcot) and we had a "quiet" pool just steps from our room. This was great, for as much as we enjoyed the big pool and all the activity. It was nice to have that option.

One of the best things about the Beach Club is its location. It's just a 5 minute walk to Epcot and that allowed us to enjoy more time there. We were right on the Boardwalk wihch is a plus.It's about a 12-15 minute boat ride to MGM .However you do have to take a bus to the Magic Kingdom - the morning service out was very good...but we had a lengthy waits (well over 20 minutes) on our early afternoons returns.

All -in - all, a pretty spot in a great location. They need to work on their staff training to provide better service and get some new bedspreads!

13  Thank allie1
Reviewed April 5, 2007

One of my favorite activities is walking. Now saying that, my room was the farthest away from civilization that I could find. It was great. The hallways were nicely decorated, the carpets clean, and flowers set on tables every few feet. My room was large with no strange odors. My daughter loved the fact that the offered a stocked fridge and candy, but after I explained that they charged for even picking up a candy bar, she understood.

The main reason I picked this hotel was for the pool! It is awesome! The slide is the best and I have no idea how they make that sandy "sinkiing" bottom. Another section of the pool has a slight current to it, so you can enjoy a nice lazy ride in a tube if you want. And still another section of the 3 acre pool is especially made for children. Very nice, Disney.

The burgers at Hurricane Hannas are the best! I didn't partake in the character breakfast, as we have done plenty of those in the past years, so I cannot comment. I will say that when we walked by, it looked as though patrons were enjoying themselves. I do recommend that if you stay at a Disney hotel and you have purchased a vacation package, add the dining package too, it will save you some serious $$.

The proximity of this hotel to not only Epcot, but also to MGM Studios is ideal. If you are just going to be visiting the Disney parks, then you can utilize the Disney transportation, and not have to waste money on a car rental. I will say though, the buses are not the greatest. Oh they are very clean - but if you don't time it right - there can be quite a wait.

I found the staff to be quite attentive. I am a pretty laid back person, and I like to joke around a lot and I found that most of the staff were much like I am. We are all just big kids!

I can highly recommend this property. The best time of year to visit is during the months of September and the week or two prior to Christmas. I don't ever recommend anyone to come to Disney at the peak seasons, it is just too chaotic!

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled with family
9  Thank alipkin911
Reviewed April 3, 2007

My spouse and I stayed at this property in March 2007 while attending a 4-day conference. We have visited DisneyWorld before and have stayed both on- and off-property, but never in one of the "Deluxe" resorts (one of the conference perks). Throughout the trip, I tried to anticipate whether we would return with the entire family (kids) at some later date, and offer the following observations.

Check-in was a little slow....we got into the room at 3:30. Not terrible, but we did have to kill a couple of hours before we got into the room. The room itself was nice...clean, comfy beds, fridge, safe and plenty of storage. The toilet/tub were separated by a door from a double-sink vanity, and our room had a nice balcony overlooking the lagoon. Bed linens and towels were adequate, but certainly not anything above-average or luxurious. Maid service was prompt and efficient on a daily basis. Definitely enough storage for a family of four, and the bath setup works well for a family, too.

There is a fabulous pool complex on this property (shared with Disney's Yacht Club). I counted 3 separate pool areas...a "lazy river", a sand-bottom swimming pool, and a "beach" pool...lots of sand for the little ones to build sand castles...reminded me of the beach! Towel service was great...I actually liked the pool towels better than the ones in the room! The pool was heated to just about the perfect temperature. There was a water slide (similar to one you would expect to see in a large water park) and it looked fun. There didn't appear to be a huge wait at any particular time. The pool hours seemed "short"...I know that my kids would not have been happy about the closing time of 8 p.m.! There was another small pool close to our room, and I'm not sure if the 8pm rule applied, but swimmers stayed in that pool longer (noise was not an issue).

It is literally a 5-minute walk to Epcot, and a short water-taxi ride (10-15 minutes) to MGM. There was never a huge wait for the water taxis. Bus service to the other parks and Downtown Disney was regular and efficient. The "Boardwalk" with restaurants and entertainment was also a short walk (5-10 minutes) from the property.

There is a marketplace where one can purchase souvenirs, sundries and deli-types foods (pre-made sandwiches, salads) along with beverages (including beer/wine). We did purchase a bottle of wine, but had to request an opener from housekeeping...it was delivered very quickly! There were also several other restaurants on the property with various price ranges and levels of service.

The resort does charge a fee for internet service.

Overall, we had a very enjoyable stay. However, the room was in the $450 price range--and for someone such as myself, who does occasionally like to splurge on vacation, this is a little more "splurge" than I can handle.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business