“Sandy Bottom Pool !!!!”

Disney's Beach Club Resort
Ranked #57 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed March 17, 2009

Yet another amazing stay. My family just recently purchased more DVC points at the Beach Club, only hearing a little about it I didn't know what to expect. Man this place blew me out of the water. The villas are great and currently being redone in order to keep them up to date. The pool is shared with the Yatch Club, don't be worried its HUGE, complete with a sand bottom and an island in the middle made entirely of sand, for all the kids (and adults) to play in. It has a lazy river that hits a max depth of (if I can remember) 9 ft., it also provides wonderful poolside entertainment for kids and adults of all ages...something i found a lot of other places lack. The Beach Club is a hop step away from Epcot and we walked there in under 10 mins, also providing boat and bus transportation to the other theme parks. The staff are incredible...we ran into some wireless internet complications on our end... and they provided us with their own computer as well as complimentary internet and printing. The end result is....this place is AMAZING personally one of the greatest places to consider purchasing DVC points or just visiting for a couple of nights. Can't wait to go back

6  Thank nKarakolis

Reviewed March 9, 2009

My husband and first spent time at the Beach Club for our honeymoon and we have stayed here ever since. The greeting by the staff each time we go is the BEST and anytime we need anything they are there. We even keep contact with them before and after our stays. We look forward to seeing them as soon as we can. This goes from the moment we set foot on property to the mousekeeping staff. Especially the greeting by Captain Art!
The atomosphere is perfect for us and everyone else we have ever taken. It is very family friendly as well as wonderful for an adults only trip, like there was in October. Look for 'Hidden Mickey's' throughout the resort. Including the easy to find ones in the hallway carpet.
We always eat the Cape Mays for the clam bake and Beaches and Cream at least once. When you have a group (3 plus people) ask for the Kitchen Sink! :) Book at least 90 days in advance for any sit down dining reservations to ensure you are able to eat where you want. Otherwise it will be difficult to obtain a reservation.
The pool is out of this world, especially the sand bottom.
The workout area is just as nice, plus you can get an access card to go when the club is closed.
We used Magic Express as we have each visit since it was in place. We never have a problem with our luggage or checking-in on the departure date.
Movies on the beach are great fun! Lots of activities to do at the resort if you are not at a park. Get a list from the front desk.
Enjoy evening walks around the Boardwalk or a surrey bike ride. You are even within walking distance to a miniature golf course which is great fun!
As for anything Disney - this is a place where you need to semi-plan before you go, although planning in relaxing days can be done. This resort is the only reason we bought into the Beach Club Villas DVC program years ago, but we still spend time at the main resort as well. The location of this resort is FANTASTIC and fairly central to all of WDW.
If you ever have any problems while at Disney or after the trip let the Cast Members know Right Away! Call when you get home. Let them know of your problems so they can help or offer alternative options. That is what we have found out through repeated stays and talking to others.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank skiwin
Reviewed March 3, 2009

My family and I (2 boys 3 and 4 y/o) spent 5 nights (2/25-3/2) there for a conference. We had never had any experience with Disney (aside from Disneyland) and looked forward to this vacation. We booked via the conference and got great rates. All in all, we had a wonderful time. I will break trip down by category.

Check-in: Prior to our trip, I booked transportation via Disney Magical Express. I was curious to see how the whole process would work out. I couldn't imagine not having to pick up our luggage and was skeptical that all would arrive at our hotel. When we disembarked from the plane, I headed over to the counter and was sent directly onto a bus. We waited approx 10 mins and the bus departed. We made 1 stop at the Yacht club and then arrived at the Beach. The trip was uneventful. Checkin was as breeze. They were really friendly and gave pins to our kids. We also had grandparents arriving the following day and they were able to arrange for adjoining rooms under those circumstances.

Room: The room was a basic one on the first floor. We liked the little couch that was there. The TV was smaller than expected (prob around 34inch flat screen). We liked having a small fridge and requested a microwave (free of charge). The beds were comfortable and had 2 different pillow options. The room initially had a smoke like odor, but the front desk reassured me that there were no "smoking rooms" and it was impossible that the prev occupants smoked. They did offer an air purifier. However, once we aired out the room it was ok.

Pool/Restaurants: We really enjoyed the pool. Although the middle section was closed off for repair, we still were able to enjoy the beach area plus the water slide section. My only complaint was that due to the construction, you had to walk around the slide to get to the Hurricane grill. You couldn't access it by crossing to the other side of the pool. There were plenty of lifeguards (in contrast to resorts in Mexico) and we felt safe to have our kids play in the beach water. The boys love the shallowness of the water and had a great time. We ate at the Cape May for breakfast twice. The food was so-so, but the kids loved the characters. Breakfast was $20 per person and that seemed reasonable considering the other cost. There was a Marketplace store that sold everything from cold medicine to frozen dinners. That was good place to buy snacks and things.

Service: I really saw the difference in terms of friendliness and service. Anything you need or asked for was properly addressed. We requested adjoining rooms and that was granted, even though the arrival dates were off by 2 days. We asked to extend our stay and that was granted. Concierge could only do so much with dining reservations. Book in advance people!

Location: We loved the idea of being able to walk around a lake (be it man made). We liked the close proximity to the Boardwalk and Epcot. For fun, our boys would just ride the boat shuttle around. It was a really peaceful and nice resort.

Cost: We came to Disneyworld expecting to spend money. Don't come here hoping to get the best deal. Things do cost more at Disney. You can get a burger at the Hurricane Grill for $7. Sodas cost approx $3 (see tip below). Being able to charge anything and everything to our key card was convenient. just be prepared for the large bill at the end of the stay.

Tips: Buy a refillable mug. IT will cost you $13 but will save you a ton. We were able to refill it anywhere in the hotel and at Boardwalk as well. Very very nice. Tip #2, book dining reservations well in advance. Things get booked up pretty fast at the nicer restaurants. Tip #3, if you have some time, tour the Disney Vacation Club. They are really cool and do no pressuring at all. You will learn alot, and if nothing else, will get offered VIP Fastpass to 3 rides. Worth the 90 min presentation I think.

Departure: Check out was nice. We received our boarding pass that morning. Luggage was checked in at the hotel. The only thing is that they still require you to get picked up 3 hours in advance. Travel time is 1 hr so you have 2 hour to hang out at the airport. If you can, fly with United Air, because on departure, they don't charge you for luggage (they have contract with Disney).

Complaints: At night, shuttle service takes a long time from non park areas (ie Downtown Disney).

Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
9  Thank Saysum
Reviewed March 2, 2009

We took our son and his family for a vacation at Disney's Beach Club Resort and came away very disappointed. We were given adjoining non-smoking rooms on the ground floor but unfortunately, the prior guests had not obeyed the non-smoking rule. Both rooms smelled heavily of smoke even after opening the sliding doors to the patio for hours. We spoke to the housekeeping staff and they told us about the prior guests and the problems they had with them. They offered to steam clean the carpeting, change all linens, and put an air cleaner in the room while we were at Epcot (we were told no other rooms were available). When we returned from the park early that evening the odor was not as strong but still there. Again they told us no other rooms were available. Finally the third day they moved us to non-adjoining rooms on the 3rd floor that were much better.

Overall the Disney "experience" at this resort is quite good... nice gift shops, great pools, friendly staff and a comfortable boat ride to Epcot and Boardwalk. But a few other things will make us think again before staying at the Beach Club... it's too spread out, poor and expensive food selections, and the hotel could use a good face lift.

2  Thank SugarBearGeorgia
Reviewed March 1, 2009

My husband, 12-year-old son and I went on our annual trip to Disney World on 30 Nov - 6 Dec 08. After many other trips to WDW in the last 13 years, this was our first stay at the Beach Club. We were greeted with the overwhelmingly lovely smell of chocolate and gingerbread from the carasoul horse in the middle of the lobby. YUM! The staff that checked us in and personally escorted us to the concierge level were WONDERFUL! We requested a lagoon view and were not disappointed. The room overlooked the pool and we were able to enjoy the 'changing of the guards' each afternoon that we were 'home'.... changing of the lifeguards that is. :) All the lifeguards gather together and perform a line dance - along with anyone else that wants to participate. It's a really cool thing to watch. Make sure to get an activities list because there are fun things to do all day long. Each evening they offer a Disney movie on the beach. Just pull a lounge chair over to the sandy beach near the HUGE inflatable movie screen, sit back and enjoy! What a neat concept! Back to the room.... we were fortunate enough to get a recently renovated room, with all new decor and a really nice flat-screen TV. The concierge lounge is GREAT! The food offerings, from early in the morning to late in the evening, are really good. The concierge staff are true treasures! They are more than willing to help with any request! A couple evenings we went back to the room early and they provided us with some movies to watch.... free of charge. What a nice touch! Turn-down service with the chocolate mints is nice too. We love the proximity to EPCOT - our favorite park. The boat ride to Hollywood Studios was very relaxing. Of course the pool is the BEST!!! The food options are good also... Cape May Cafe (Clambake buffet for dinner) and the Beaches and Cream ice cream parlor. If you really want to try something unique, ask for the kitchen sink sundae! :)
There are only 2 negative things I can say, which happen to apply to all Disney resorts, and I've mentioned it every time I get asked to fill out a survery about my stay on-property... Disney needs to offer free wireless internet and offer more movie channels. When a family can go to almost any other national hotel chain (even the low-cost ones) and surf the internet for free, Disney should definitely do the same! As for the movie channels, it's one thing to have a few channels with Disney shows and infomercials but 10 or 12 channels worth of Disney, Disney XD, Stacy and the Top 10 things to see/do (we do enjoy Stacy though), several devoted to the Disney Vacation Club, Disney hotel information, etc etc etc. Enough already! Give us adults some Showtime, HBO, or Starz or something! That's another option that you'll find at most other hotels.
With all of that said, if you're going to stay at WDW please try the Beach Club! You'll be soooooooo glad you did!! :)

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank jresle
Reviewed February 26, 2009

My family and I (my mom, dad, and little sister) went to the Beach Club as our first Disney World stay. None of us had ever been to Disney before, and I'm not sure I can understand why.

PROS:
-Delicious restaraunts (although without the meal plan I'm sure it'd be mighty expensive!)
-Very large pool
-Beautiful scenery
-Within walking distance to our favorite park (Epcot) as well as Hollywood Studios.
-Wonderful maid service (Cleaned our room when we were out!)
-Easy to find rooms (Compared to reviews for moderate hotels)
-Definately bang! for your buck!
-Always clean smelling.

CONS:
-VERY small balcony, but so what? It's hot enough to go outside!
-We heard leaf blowers outside our balcony at 6 a.m.
-The lobby had an overwhelming soap smell-- suprised my dad's nose could handle it!
-$10 charged to your room if you used the wireless internet!

Other than that, I have no complaints. This hotel was the obvious best stay of my life.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank lhmll
Reviewed February 21, 2009

I recently stayed at the Beach Club resort with my parents and sister, and we were thrilled with the whole experience. As soon as we walked in I felt calm and relaxed in the peach and ivory tones of the spacious lobby. The staff was always very prompt and pleasant, and they even gave roses to all the ladies in our party upon arrival. Our rooms had small balconies over looking a lovely flower garden, always very quiet and peaceful. My one complaint about the location was that it required a rather roundabout walk through the lobby to get in and out. But I loved being so close to Epcot and the surrounding resorts. It's very easy to walk to the park or the many other hotel restaurants, plus there's easy boat and bus service to the other Disney areas.

My room was of a very standard size and shape, but all of the furnishings were clean and attractive. There's turn-down service in the evening, which is nice, since when I first checked in I felt a bit overwhelmed and confused by the dozens of pillows on our beds.

The hotel has some very nice amenities. The highlight is its amazing pool. Sadly, the pool's slide was closed for refurbishment while I was there, but I still thoroughly enjoyed the drifting pool nearby. The bottom of the feature pool is covered in sand, which really was a very novel and fun thing to play in. I saw lots of little kids having a blast building sandcastles on the pool's "beach." There's also a beach by the lake, a very pleasant place to sit and have a drink. The hotel offers a wide variety of special activities as well. Most of them are geared towards kids, such as the evening movies on the beach or making s'mores by a campfire, but adults are welcome to participate as well. There's a pleasant little bar and a couple of restaurants at the resort as well. Beaches & Cream had excellent ice cream and good (though pricey) hamburgers. One morning we tried the character breakfast at the Cape May Cafe, which was wonderful. Lots of hearty, traditional breakfast food and a chance to chat with Minnie, Goofy, and Donald, all dressed up for the beach. Adorable!

The biggest drawback to the Beach Club is the steep sticker price. Because I was staying with a castmember, we had a greatly reduced rate. If not for this discount, I'm not sure that I'd feel the cost was worth it, since there are so many more affordable luxury hotels in Orlando. But if cost is no object, this place is a gem.

5  Thank Marywhotravels