“Great pool area - very poor service !!”

Disney's Beach Club Resort
Ranked #64 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Arrived after spending 4 nights on the Disney Dream Cruise, where the service was outstanding !! Unfortunately, we then checked into the Beach Club for 3 nights. Arriving at 10:00 AM, or room was not ready, which was normal. The desk agent asked for my cell phone number so they could text us when the room was ready. The test text never arrived nor did any text when the room was ready (we had gone to Epcot in the meantime). While checking in, the agent asked many questions about the room we wanted - how close to the elevator, what floor, large balcony or small, what type of view.

When we returned from Epcot and got our room, we went up to the 4th floor and neither room key opened the door. Back down to the front desk where it took the 10 minutes to re-program the keys. When I arrived back at the room, the Bell Service person had let my wife and grand-Daughter in when he delivered the bags and he noticed that one of the 2 sliding doors was off the track, so he called maintenance at 3:30PM. I don't know why the desk clerk bothered to ask what type of room we wanted, as none of the items he asked for feedback on were satisfied by the room we were given.

The room is all carpeted and the area in front of the sink and mirrors in the exposed part of the bathroom was soaked from the people who were there before I (I assume). Not pleasant to have your feet soaked walking around your room !! My wife commented that it did not look like the room had been vacuumed either. When we went to dinner, my wife asked that the room be recleaned and for someone to fix the sliding door, which no one had arrived to fix by 6:00PM after the 3:30 PM call.

When we arrived back from dinner, that room had been cleaned. I phoned maintenance as the door had still not been repaired and was DANGEROUS ! I told them they had 5 minutes to have someone arrive to repair the door or I would just remove it and place it in the hallway. I had a 7 year old in the room and the door could have caused injury. A maintenance person arrived within 5 minutes and repaired the door, more than 7 hours after the issue was reported by one of their own staff !!

We went to the ice cream parlour shortly afterwards and order to waffle cones. After waiting in line for a WHILE (it was only 100 degrees outside - did they not think people were going to be ordering ice cream ?), the server gave me one of the cones (vanilla, not the strawberry ordered, but I had waited so long I was willing to overlook this error). She then informs that they had run out of waffle cones (again, it was 100 degrees. Did they not expect to sell any ice cream that night ?). She then proceeds to put the 2 scoops on a regular small cone, not offering to refund the extra chanrge for the waffle cone. On the way back to the room, the ice cream fell off the cone. I couldn't be bothered to head back and have likely have argued with them to replace the cone.

Most of the rest of the time we were at a Park or using the pool, which was very nice. My Grand-Daughter had a great time and even the pathetic service at the Beach Club couldn't erase the joy that the look on her face brought me when we were at the Magic Kingdom !

On the last night after dinner, I again stopped by the Front Desk because I hadn't receved any information on the Magical Express transfers back to the airport the next morning. The clerk behind the desk asked me for some information and called a number to enquire on my behalf. He was on hold and I asked if he could call me in the room because it was now 11:00PM and I wanted to get my Grand-Daughter to bed. He suggested I should call them myself, hung up and wrote the number down. I went to the room and called and the person at Magical Express said they had no record of my reservation and this was quite common for people who take the Disney Cruise before going to Disney World (I guess the left hand doesn't talk to the right hand!). She re-booked my reservation which ended up being for 6:30Am the next morning.

The service on the Disney Cruise was superb !! At the Beach Club - NOT SO MUCH !! Beautiful pool but such lousy customer service for the price they charge, I doubt whether I would stay there again. Much better options close to the park !

Room Tip: They ask a lot about your room preferences, but don't seem to make any effort to meet them.
3  Thank Dan H
Write a ReviewReviews (2,867)

Reviewed June 28, 2013

My family of 5 and stayed here and welcomed by brother's family of four from out-of-state. What an experience! From the beginning, the Disney staff went out of their way to make this memorable. The bus picked up my brother's family at the airport and assured them not to worry about their bags. When we arrived at the resort, buttons were waiting for everyone, nicely decorated for the kids. The Club Level refreshments were waiting for us as well, which were very nice. Our rooms were adjoining and ready for us ... including a note for the kids from Mickey and Minnie! Each night was wonderful, from movies, to lounging by the pool and walking over to cruise the Boardwalk. You can walk from here to Epcot, to avoid the long lines at the front, and you enter right between England and France. You can also walk to Hollywood Studios! Thank you, Disney for another great vacation!

Room Tip: Rooms with the view of the Boardwalk are really worth the price - entertainment from your balcony ea...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank TravellingMom M
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed here 6/18 to 6/24 on the club level after a great club level experience at the Wilderness Lodge last year. We figured the pool with giant water slide would be nice for our son. It was. Location is great. Rooms were clean. But club level service is sorely lacking.

I checked in online prior to arrival. Room was ready at arrival and we were escorted up to the 5th floor. We were given a folder with keys and told our room number but not shown our room. Nothing like the extensive walk thru we got at the WL the year prior. No other information was provided at checkin. I figured this was the streamlined online checkin process.

When doing my online checkin I changed the credit card on file and created a pin for all charges to the room. You would think that would be the card they ended up charging to, right? Wrong! And when I pointed it out to the concierge on check out day at first she gave me a little attitude like it was my fault for not verifying it on arrival. A...I did an online checkin...isnt that the point of the online checkin and pin set up? and B. no one asked me anything at arrival. They didn't even show me to my room!

The club itself is about 25% of the space it needs to be. Everyone pretty much fought for uncleaned, unbussed tables at breakfast or were left to carry food back to their rooms. The food was nowhere near the level on the WL. Mostly a different variation of something cheap and fried every night.

Maid service mediocre. Only got towel animals the first 3 nights - one Mickey and 2 of the same oddly shaped thing I couldn't make out. What a disappointment for my son. They stocked my room with only conditioner and shower gel. After pointing this out the concierge called for shampoo to be brought which never arrived. I had to leave a note asking for shampoo the next day.

The coffee/tea in room was stocked only with decaf one day and the dirty cups were never replaced. I stopped tipping at this point and had to start placing all dirty cups and dishes outside the room to be sure they were replaced.

The tub was slow to drain, the light on the porch never came on...we were told it was on a timer. Well the one on the room next door worked and ours never did. The closet door was also off its track and hard to open.

Last year I had a large box delivered via FedEx directly to the WL. At this hotel, they have a "deal" with their business center to basically hold the boxes coming in and out and make you or a bellman retrieve or deliver the for a $10 fee plus tip of course. Talk about nickel and diming. And when I asked the concierge she told me I HAD to escort the bellman and box over there....wrong! One call to the business center corrected that. I just sent the bellman over. If I ever go back to Disney it will be to a non business centered hotel to avoid them picking my pockets with ridiculous fees and inconveniences like this...just deliver my flipping box for crying out loud....I am on the concierge floor paying how much a night? The concierges at Beach Club shouldn't even called themselves that...a real concierge would oversee the box delivery for me. That is called SERVICE. That is what they did at the WL and without a $10 nuisance charge each way.

The concierge was also wrong when I asked about my pirates cruise. The itinerary said to "ask the concierge about exact time and location" in case of any changes. I did. They told me to go thru the Contemporary straight out to the marina. Wrong again! If I had done this we would've missed the pre party and food in the conference room beforehand. Thank goodness the Contemporary doorman saw my son's costume and directed us where to go.

I asked for turn down at 7pm the day I checked in but this was ignored. The maids started knocking on all the doors for turn down service at 5pm which is when everyone is getting ready for dinner. Who wants them in there when you are getting dressed! Out went the do not disturb sign at 5pm so I could shower and change. So I recieved no turn down service the whole week.

Basically if you want a great location and pool and can put up with crappy maid service, mediocre bar type food in a tiny lounge area with way too little seating and concierges who provide no service whatsoever and were in fact wrong on a number of occasions, by all means stay here. I will not be returning!

Room Tip: Ask for full balcony.
11  Thank Hookem91
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We just got back from WDW stay at the Beach Club from 6/14 to 6/19 in a garden view room 4627. They gave us a room on the 3rd floor pretty far from the elevator at check in so I requested for one closest to the elevator. It was next door to the elevator making it very convenient to go down for drinks or pool. The hotel location & the pool were the reasons we picked it. It's a very short walk to Epcot like 5-10 min top. The pool and the slide were amazing. My kids really enjoyed it. The reason I gave it 4 stars because of the pool & location and the convenient to restaurants but the room does show its age. Carpet & wall paper really should be replaced for the amount of $$$ and considering it is in the deluxe category. Maid service was good but they will not leave you enough shampoo & conditioner for 4 people. You have to request for it. The bottles are really small like 1.25 oz size. Overall a great stay for the pool & Epcot and the food down at Cape May Cafe.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closest to lobby or elevator as the hallways are long and winding
2  Thank JPJTAB
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This resort is in walking distance of Epcot, a definite plus. My biggest complaint was that the dresser and desk needed wiped off in my room and the room next door. The pool area is great and my kids loved the water slide.

Room Tip: We liked having a pool view.
1  Thank tz122
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My family just returned from a wonderful Disney vacation. We stayed at Disney's Beach Club Resort, which is one of the Epcot resorts. The location is wonderful. Walking distance to Epcot, the Board Walk, and to Hollywood Studios. It's a toss up whether my kids had more fun at the Hotel pool/water slide or whether it was at the Disney parks. We're not the kind of family that go to the parks from the time the parks open until they close. We were at the Beach Club pool a lot and really enjoyed ourselves. I've never been in a pool before with a sand bottom. Very cool! I can't wait to go back to Disney again next and will definitely consider staying at the Beach Club Resort again.

Planning a trip to Disney can be overwelming to say the least! So many hotels, park options, meals plans, park ride plans, etc. to consider. I worked with Lynda Hower at Dream Makers Vacation Services to plan everything. She made planning so easy, and she had lots of great suggestions. Thank you, Lynda!!

2  Thank Tracey W
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

The pool, as reviewed, is great and definately a kid pleaser. My 7 yr old could not get enough of the slide! Free wifi at Disney was a wonderful bonus. Beyond that the resort was a dud. I don't think I encountered anyone on staff that was overly pleasant. If you are on the dining plan, quick service breakfast choice is most nil, particularly for kids. We left with almost half of our quick service meals unused. Room was clean, but average. We got the towel animals the first two nights that we were there and then nothing - that was a bummer for my son - he so anticipated that every day after our trip to wilderness lodge several years ago. Stay there instead!

• Stayed: June 2013