“Disney does Grownup”

Ranked #65 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
Canberra
“Disney does Grownup”
Reviewed May 20, 2009

I stayed at the Boardwalk for 5 nights as part of a holiday and whilst attending a course at the Disney Institute in the Boardwalk Conference Facility.
So the room was great! It was very quiet and down a side corridor so there are no hoards of people walking past the door to the lift or the foyer. I was told by Disney staff that the Boardwalk is considered among the higher end of the Deluxe (so Wilderness and AK are lower end delux) and that meant sheets and towels with higher thread count and duvet's instead of bedspreads. Also more pillows on the bed than one can possibly use.
The room was really clean - the only thing was lots of hair left in the bathroom - on the floor, in tub, in sinks on vanity top - strange but not enough to be be completely problematic. Plasma screen TV, small balcony overlooking the Garden Units gardens, small fridge but no mini bar, desk and chair, couch, drawer unit. The safe was not big enough to hold a laptop. The toiletries were a bit below average - only shampoo, shower gel, conditioner, lotion and soap. Not even a shower cap! No milk supplied for tea or coffee - had to buy that in the general store. I didn't really interact with any of the staff. so I can't really comment. I didn't use the pool - but it seemed a bit open to the general public for my liking.
If you like looking for Mickeys there are heaps of them - carved into the furniture, the fittings, the carpets, the shower curtain, even the paintings on the wall. But it is all done very elegantly and the whole place is quite plush and adult. Possibly driven by the conference centre but there are fewer families staying here than say WL or AKL
the location of this place is great - walking distance to Epcot and HS and lots of other resorts. The Boardwalk is interesting for it's shops and restaurants.
the one bugbear I had was with the buses. Every bus I got on would be diverted through Swan, Dolphin, Yacht and Beach resorts before going where I wanted. and the same coming back. Buses would drive PAST the Boardwalk and go Swan, Dolphin, Yacht and Beach before returning to the Boardwalk - I never got a break and it added 20 mins to every journey. In the end I did the 5 min walk to Beach and started catching buses from there and getting off at Swan and walking the 5 mins back.
The conference centre was very nice - large, spacious rooms, well appointed, comfortable. the food served was very good quality.
Again - Disney gives nothing away for free - wifi internet available in the conference centre - $5 / 4 hours or wifi avail in hotel lobby $10 / 24 hours or internet cable available in room (which I couldn't get to work - $10/24 hrs).
A lovely stay - overly expensive for what you get - and not quite special enough to make me want to return.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank DownunderSugarglider

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
UK
Reviewed May 17, 2009

I've just got back from a week's stay club level at the Boardwalk Inn. I've stayed there twice before, as well as other Disney deluxe resorts and this resort is by far the best!

The newly refurbished rooms are beautiful and very comfortable. Every member of staff I encountered from 'mousekeeping' to club level were professional and extremely helpful, nothing was too much trouble for anyone.

The Epcot resort area is a great area to stay in, not only can you walk directly into Epcot or Hollywood Studios, but you have the restaurants at the other resorts you can go to. There's so much variety you're never bored, and you're never 'stuck' at your own resort.

The club level cast members here really are the best, they treat you like you're a long lost friend, whether it's your first stay club level or you're a returning guest. I was really sorry to be leaving at the end of this trip, I could have stayed at least another week.

Food offerings in the lounge are also amongst the best, there's good variety and they're topped up constantly, other club levels I've stayed at really aren't a patch on the Boardwalk.

• Stayed May 2009
3 Thank HighMaintenanceUk
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 13, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Disney’s Boardwalk Resort from May 8th-May 11th 2009 to attend a marriage retreat. I must say the resort was pretty decent in appearance but I cannot comment on the value of the rooms for the money because we were only required to pay for the third night which only cost us 109USD(I DON'T THINK I WOULD PAY MUCH MORE THAN $230 A NIGHT PERSONALLY)The rooms were a nice size and the bathroom and vanity areas were adequate and cleaned well. The lobby of the resort is kind of old fashioned with beautiful chandeliers. The resort will put you in mind of an old boardwalk theme 1940ish with lots of old fashioned storefront and activities going on at night. It was nice to be able to see the fireworks at Epcot from the boardwalk and get a good funnel cake. The resort also had a night club, a few eateries, and a gym but I did not visit so I can’t comment. The Boardwalk Resorts premier restaurant is called the Flying Fish. The service was EXCELLENT but honestly the food was not all that great. We did had a full breakfast in the conference room compliments of the sponsors of the retreat and it was pretty tasty. The only real compliant I have was the smell in the hallways. I think they may need to freshen up or change the carpets because they make the hallways smell like funky feet. Overall my experience here at the Boardwalk resort was nice. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained and the staff seem friendly. Honestly, I would not pay to stay here because it just wasn’t my style of accommodation, this seems to be a great family resort as I'm sure most Disney reosrts are.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
fort benning, ga
Reviewed May 12, 2009

During our stay at the boardwalk hotel we was treated like kings and queens. The boardwalk staff went above and beyond to make sure our stay here was enjoyable and it turned into the best trip ever. We are military so we travel alot. So, for me to say this was the best trip ever is a huge compliment. The resort had so much to offer for the kids and adults in our party. If you are trying to decide between hotels choose this one. The southern hospitality of the staff will greatly be missed;-*(

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank krisyandjames
Cape Cod
Reviewed May 3, 2009

This was our third trip to Disney with the past two trips at Caribbean Beach and the Polynesian. This hotel did not offer the relaxed experience of the other two and we were a bit disappointed with the trip as it wasn't a good fit for us. My wife and I talked a great deal about it, trying to figure out why the two past trips were wonderful and the most recent one mediocre. I will share our insight into this hotel. It is important to mention, I think this is a terrific hotel and it simply wasn't a good fit for us, but I am sure some others might feel the same way.

First, I will comment on the good aspects. This is a beautiful hotel, and I very much enjoyed the early 20th century theme. Our room was beautiful. We had a very nice view of the lake in a standard room, so we were quite happy. It is within easy walking distance to Epcot (walking was faster than the ferry) and has a ferry to Hollywood Studios.

Now the aspects we didn't like. This was the nosiest hotel of the three we stayed at. The door was perhaps the heaviest hotel door I have seen, but we heard hall conversations readily. Between the hall and the boardwalk, it is not for light sleepers like my son. Our room was generally not cleaned until sometime between 1 and 3 pm, so as we have a three year old and returned for a mid-day nap, 3 days of the vacation were without maid service. We have never had that problem at the other resorts, and perhaps we were simply at the end of the list, but it was a bit annoying. Finally, the boardwalk is a mixed blessing. Unlike the other two resorts which have their own dining and shopping resources, the boardwalk inn and boardwalk are one unit. So whereas we previously looked forward to the much more tranquil resort after a busy day in the park, at the boardwalk inn, you don't feel like you leave the park. Some people might love this, but we didn't find it relaxing. Unlike most Disney resorts where the dining and shopping options are mostly for guests of that particular resort, the boardwalk is heavily toured by everyone, so the lines for everything are much longer than other resorts. While this should seem obvious by the hotel ads, it really didn't dawn on us that we would miss the quiet of the polynesian or carribean beach resorts.

This is a wonderful location at Disney and a beautiful hotel. It offers a unique experience which is quiet different from other Disney resorts. I think if someone likes constant activity, it would be a great location. However, if you look at your Disney resort as a place to recharge after a day in the park, it probably isn't the best place.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
6 Thank OCT1
Wexford Ireland
Reviewed April 24, 2009

Absolutely stunning experience with Boardwalk Inn - staff very helpful and great fun only downside was the cost of General Store on Boardwalk - a little too pricey for recessionary times!! Food in Restaurants also excellent - a great trip to Florida finished with this hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Mary M
Penn
Reviewed April 20, 2009

Nothing I can say, other then it was perfect. Worth the extra money for sure.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family