“Ok contrived charm but what's wrong with that!”

Disney's BoardWalk Inn
Ranked #62 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
“Ok contrived charm but what's wrong with that!”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Ok I love Disney and it was the centre for my Dopey challenge this January, ie half and full marathon at Disney whilst celebrating my 50th with my wife. It is showing some signs of age in decor but is still very smart. The locale is great for Brits who can walk to Disney studios and Epcot. The room was comfortable spacious and clean. Staff were friendly and helpful. Aftercare, when I thought I had left iPad was prompt (it was left on plane). This is more suited to couples than families. It has some quiet areas amongst the large plot. If you do the rundisney weekend this is the luxury and best place option, back for my 52nd

Room Tip: Only tried one it was fine!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DocCJH

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
Timbuktu, Mali
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a two night stay at the BWI. We arrived early and our low floor room request (made online and over the phone the day prior) was honored. We were in room 1352, which was in a really cool section of the BWI, in the direction of EPCOT and back by their garden villas and a quiet pool. It was a bit of an ordeal to get to the actual boardwalk from this area though as there was no clear cut route, rather we had to go back up into the main lobby and then go back downstairs to get out (kinda annoying to have to backtrack when you know EPCOT's entrance is so close by).

The double bed room was fine, but it is showing its age, especially in the bathroom (sinks made a gurgling noise and were slow to drain, toilet had been replaced and the floor had markings/old caulk, etc). Coffee pods were not replenished on 2nd day. Hot water didn't work on the 2nd day but was fixed after we returned from the park. Thank goodness because we staaaank! Beds were comfy and linens smelled fresh. We were by an entry door but rarely heard any traffic. Also rarely heard our neighbors through the walls. Nice balcony off of the room with two chairs and a table. Quiet and powerful AC. Quiet refrigerator.

What I do not understand however is the lack of cleanliness I've experienced during my last four Disney stays (see reviews in my profile). This time there was hair in multiple places in the bathroom - on the floor, behind the shower curtain, on the walls of the shower. I have a toddler who is in to everything so I spent the first ten minutes of our vacation on my hands and knees picking up the "shrapnel" left behind by other guests. And frankly after I spotted the hair the rest of the room seemed questionable.

Quiet pool was very nice, it wasn't crowded and was only about 5' deep at its max. Ample towels, Coke machine and bathroom was very close by. Life vests were provided as no lifeguard was on duty. There was also a hot tub. Plenty of loungers and table/chair combos with umbrellas for shade. Pool decking was SCORCHING HOT so wear your flops!

We ate at Kouzzina for breakfast one morning and that was great. We also ate at the brewery for lunch and that was just ok. Flying Fish was "eh," as I don't think for the prices you pay that you get good value. I've had better seafood at my neighborhood Bonefish Grill for less than half of the price (at FF, it was $50 for my salmon entree that was just OK and didn't even come with a side item, those are served family style and cost extra). For a fun breakfast try to head into EPCOT using the walkway (aka the International Gateway). France's bakery opens early (World Showcase itself doesn't open until 11 am) and the food is good plus they serve mimosas... Also if you want decent table service food I suggest The Fountain inside of the Dolphin. It's not usually crowded and perfect for a quick bite with your little ones. Hit the next door ice cream counter after lunch for a delicious soft serve treat! The food quality at the Dolphin is far superior to Disney's offerings.

We walked to and from Hollywood Studios from the BWI and it's a pleasant 20 minute walk, with some shade coverage provided by trees.

We have one more trip planned to Disney before our FL resident seasonal passes expire. We will be trying the Contemporary in September. If the cleanliness of that hotel is not up to par, I'm giving up on Disney for the next couple of years and going back to the Waldorf. Or even back to the Swan/Dolphin if we need to be close to EPCOT. The bottom line is that if I'm going to pay premium prices I at least expect the room to be clean.

• Stayed June 2014
7 Thank Hosalito
Tarpon Springs, Florida
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Recently my boyfriend and I stayed for 2 nights at the Boardwalk Inn at Disney World. We chose this hotel because you can either walk or take a boat ride to Epcot park. There is also a boardwalk area where you can get food, drinks, shop, and enjoy recreational activities. The Bakery on the boardwalk is the place to buy a refillable mug, which is a good value. My boyfriend and I shared one mug, which cost about $12 for $48 hours (you could also purchase 24 hours for about $9). Sounds expensive, but we went back for refills so much that we definitely got our money's worth. The mug can be filled at multiple locations, including next to the Boardwalk pools, so you don't have to go to the Bakery every time you're thirsty. They had sodas, lemonade, and teas to choose from. The raspberry lemonade was my favorite. I think there is a chip or sensor in the mug, and the soda fountains apparently read it to provide service.

The hotel itself was clean and the ambiance enjoyable. There were towels arranged in a Mickey head on one of our beds, which was a nice touch. There is a refrigerator in the room, so if you want to avoid spending a lot of money on Disney-priced snacks, I recommend you bring some of your own. We saw on a sign in the hotel that there would be a "Continental style" breakfast served....but be warned, they don't mean free! Watch out for the maids. They startled us one morning at about 8:30. Put out your "do not disturb" signs unless you get up really early.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BeastandBelle
Benton, Arkansas
Reviewed June 3, 2014

This was a fun hotel to stay at. My husband and I stayed for our anniversary in April and it was great. Our room had a balcony overlooking the boardwalk, and it was fun to people watch from there. Many places to eat right there. The room had fun Disney touches, such as Minnie Mouse lamp. The room was large and the bed was comfortable. The staff was friendly and always ready to help with any need. We would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank memi13
Mooresville, NC
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Spent six wonderful nights at Boardwalk in late May with my family, and we absolutely loved it! Our room was in a great location on the ground floor. We were very close to the lobby and the boardwalk, and our room overlooked the larger pool. My wife despises clowns, and the massive clown face looking straight into our room was the source of endless jokes at her expense all week (the kids were cracking up!). Overall this property was super!

What we liked:
- Location was awesome!!! Some of our best memories from this Disney vacation were making the short walk over to Epcot in the evenings to see the Illuminations show. We could get the kids all cleaned up, walk over and see the show, and then have them back in bed by 9:30 to get ready for the next day. The boat service to Hollywood Studios was great, too.
- The food options were pretty good here, I thought. My kids loved the pizza window, and my wife and I found the quality and variety of the sandwiches at the bakery to be super. Nothing's cheap at any resort, but I honestly felt like we were getting something good for the money we paid.
- The boardwalk by the water was just plain fun. Those walks back from Epcot were awesome in the evenings with the lights, the happy people all around, and the street performers. You have to check out this one magician who was outstanding. He was funny and did great card/rope/rubic's cube tricks.

Alas, nothing is perfect, and while I'm not a nitpicky person there was an incident that I will NOT leave out of this review. It's really the only reason I didn't give the Boardwalk an Excellent rating. The Bell Hop staff was a blemish on the whole experience.

No one told us up front that we weren't allowed to carry our own bags out to our car when we checked out, and when I asked if I could use a cart to transport my luggage I was rudely told "Nope" by the guy at the desk. I explained that I wanted to carry my own luggage, but I was told that I would "have to return to my room and press the button to call the bell staff". I certainly understand that they want to keep the property beautiful by limiting the number of guests dragging around all sorts of bags and igloo coolers through the lobby, but I like carrying my own stuff....

After a bell hop finally showed up with a cart and walked my luggage to the entrance, I was in a bit of a pinch. Two things were at play - First, I didn't WANT to tip this guy since I didn't want his help to begin with. And, since I was encouraged to pay for everything with my magic band, I honestly didn't have much cash with me. He rolled his eyes at me and said that "This is a 5 star hotel" (it's really only 4 - sorry, dude) and that I "should appreciate the services I got". This was unacceptable and left a final memory of the Boardwalk that's tough to overcome.

My suggestion would be to offer an alternative way out for people who want to carry their own bags to the loading area. Not everyone wants help that they have to pay for.

There - I've gotten through the bad stuff. I'll recommend this hotel to anyone, and I'd be happy to share some of out favorite tips if you'd like. Just be ready for the departure. The process is not fair, but as long as you're not surprised then it'll be much more palatable and allow you to focus on all of the high points of your Disney experience. You'll love the Boardwalk!

Happy travels!

Room Tip: Try to get one with easy access to the boardwalk. You'll be going there a lot, so saving a few...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
16 Thank SegundoLunadeMiel
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Stayed here on business. Disney's customer service model plainly put, works. Everyone greets you with smiles, and genuinely appear to care about your experience. Had a room overlooking the garden although views of the lake/boardwalk would have been preferred. Nonetheless, the gardens were well kept and were peaceful. Fitness center was a bit on the tight side but clean and had various options based on the physical activity you had in mind. Didn't use the pool but did frequent the ESPN club. The massive screen there makes for an immersive sporting experience. Picked up a few souvenirs for the family and as is the case with most things Disney, they were not 'cheap'. One evening I walked around the lake to the other side where a company was hosting a closed event right on the beach in front of a sister hotel. I, along with quite a few others, sat on adjoining benches along the boardwalk and enjoyed the live Caribbean band. Pretty cool experience even though we couldn't take advantage of the open bar. Pluses are very easy access to Epcot and wonderful views. Immediate minus is that this is not so if seeing the land of enchantment (or being super close) is what you are looking for. Overall, good stay and would recommend to those interested in saving a few $ or being close to Epcot.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Hoxoe
Yorktown Heights, New York
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Recently stayed at the BoardWalk Inn for 5 days with my family. My husband and I had stayed in the vacation club owners area a few years back and were less than thrilled but decided to give the hotel a try since it was close to Epcot and we wanted the entertainment on the boardwalk at night. On the positive side the Disney service was great. My daughter lost her magic band and the concierge desk replaced it quickly. The transportation to the parks was also quite good (bus and boat) and I needed a cab one morning and it was quickly available after walking out the front door. Another plus is that they have 2 laundry rooms (tip: the laundry room near the gym is FREE. You have to pay for laundry on the 3rd floor of the hotel). The pool area is nice with a playground, waterslide and other water features. On 2 of the afternoons there were organized activities at/in the pool for the kids (like trivia contests, etc.). There is a small bar area by the pool where you can get expensive drinks and a few sandwiches. The reason for the 3 stars is that the room was less than spectacular. One of our sinks was peeling inside, it smelled very musty each day and the carpet was a bit sticky. I could've easily overlooked all of these minor issues if I hadn't paid a high price to stay in a Deluxe resort. When I'm paying $300+ per night in Orlando I expect the accommodations to be as deluxe as the price I am paying. My brother had a room on the same floor 4 doors down and it was HUGE. He paid the same price I did and had a walk-in closet and at least 30% more space. Another disappointment although no fault of Disney's is that it rained every single day so the entertainment on the boardwalk was non-existent. A couple tips: the bar on the 2nd floor has great service as well and you can sit outside on the porch and enjoy a nightcap after a long day at the parks. In the morning, this same area serves the same food the bakery on the boardwalk does WITHOUT the long lines.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family