“Grumpy old Men at BWI Concierge”

Disney's BoardWalk Inn
Ranked #68 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed November 29, 2007

Stayed at the BWI over 5 nights at Thanksgiving. Booked a concierge level room at the AAA rate of $500.00 a night. The room had 2 Queen beds and a tiny little day bed that a small child could barely fit in. The sink was cracked and the toilet bowl was tilted (looks like it had been removed and replaced several times from the grout marks on the tile).The food/snack/beverage offerings in the lounge were pretty pathetic. A simple continental breakfast in the AM (bagels, toast, danish, 3 cereal choices.) A few bags of chips and pretzels and a few soggy cookies in the PM. At cocktail time the white/red wine and beer did not appear until exactly 5:00 and not a minute sooner. At 10 minutes before 7 the conciege announced "10 minutes before we take everything away". A real class act!!! There were 2 hot entrees every night (some inedible) and the same cheese, crackers, veggies and dip every night. In addition the lounge itself was very small with only 1 table for 4 and 2 tables for 2. There is 2 couch areas with a cocktail table. But try eating your cereal bending down over a low table. The room is way too small to handle the large amount of rooms assigned to the concierge level. In addition huge familiy groups desend on this spot so there was usually never any place to sit. You could bring your food back to your room but whats the point. There is only a small bistro table with 2 chairs in your room. What do the other 2 people in your room do?
The staff up on the concierge lounge also left a lot to be desired. With the lone exception of Lorenzo everyone else had a puss on their faces and every question you asked them was an effort for them to respond. They were all a grumpy bunch of old men and women who I never saw crack a smile. The one positive note is the hotel is in a great location to walk to Epcot and MGM. The pool is very small for the size of the hotel with the most rock hard lounge chairs I have ever sat in ---if you could find one. If you are looking to have lunch at the pool---forget about it. They only serve 2 cold sandwich selections. I stayed at the Yacht and Beach Club concierge and I feel they are far superior. For the money I paid for a room at the BWI I was very disappointed!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Maryella
There are newer reviews for Disney's BoardWalk Inn

Reviewed November 5, 2007

I just returned from a fantastic family vacation. My entire family (parents, brothers and sisters and their spouses) stayed at the Boardwalk and all of us had a great experience. The check in process was painless! They were able to check us all in quickly. Our rooms were clean and overlooked one of the two “adult” pools at the resort. The adult pool was simple and quiet, which was nice.

The restaurants at the Boardwalk were nice and there were plenty of options at the Boardwalk for each meal. The Dolphin, Swan, Beach Club and Yacht Club are all within walking distance, so you can also have a meal there as well. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet at the Yacht Club. It was nice to fill up and then walk some of the breakfast off.

EPCOT and MGM are within walking distance of the resort. You can take a boat to both but we found walking to be faster. We took buses to Animal Kingdom and Blizzard Beach. The Boardwalk is close so both rides weren’t very long. We walked through EPCOT and took the monorail to the Magic Kingdom.

The Boardwalk lights up at night. We stayed on a Friday and Saturday night so there was a lot of activity at the Dance Hall and the Piano bar. The ESPN club was lots of fun on Saturday during all of the college games.

I would probably not include the meal plan in our next Disney package. The package provides more food than you really need.

Our only bad experience was at the Grand Floridian. We decided to use two of our sit down meal points at Citricos. Our waiter was incredibly nice and cordial until we mentioned that we were using the Disney meal plan to pay for the meal. After that our service went down hill and his attitude went sour. The Disney meal plan includes an appetizer, the entrée and a dessert. It also includes gratuity (18%). Needless to say, we waited a long time for our food (which was puzzling since it was 9pm and we were one of the last groups in the restaurant), he was slow to refill our drinks and water, and we waited quite awhile to get our bill. We are a relaxed group and we were enjoying the conversation but we all noticed the delay after awhile.

All in all, we had a great time. I would recommend the Boardwalk to anyone and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Lmacmay
Reviewed November 2, 2007

We stayed at the Boardwalk as part of a wedding event; because of that we got a "special" rate. For the bargain price of almost $300 per night, we got a room with worn carpet and furnishings, and a musty, mildew odor that was a long walk from the lobby and main wedding venue.

I have stayed at a range of hotels and resorts, and the Boardwalk gets accolades in Conde Naste Traveler and other publications. I think part of the thrill is staying "on property", close to the Disney attractions with a variety of restaurants within walking distance. If you disregard these things though, the hotel is in serious need of some refurbishments.

The valet service is so sssssllllllowwwww; we knew this and called to have the car brought around. The car was left unlocked a distance from the valet stand; I was not happy with this. Crime happens at Disney more than people realize. Be cautious -- just because you are on vacation, don't leave your common sense at home.

If we had friends coming into town that were planning on visiting the attractions, they would get the advice to stay at other hotels that are half the price but in much better condition.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank yosemitesunshine
Reviewed October 24, 2007

My husband, my parents and I stayed at the Boardwalk for the EPCOT Food and Wine Festival. I would highly recommend this hotel for that event. You could walk from the hotel to EPCOT (a short walk I might add) or take a free water shuttle. It was very convenient especially since you enter into the World Showcase.

The hotel itself is nice. There are alot of food options at the Boardwalk, so that is convenient. I thought it was a little overpriced for what you got, especially if you pay full price. We were spoiled and paid the Florida Resident discount. I did not encounter any real negatives but for the price.

Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank SchafG
Reviewed September 29, 2007

Stayed for 5 nights at the Boardwalk. I loved the Magical Express and the close location to Epcot. It wouldn't rank as a 5 star hotel in my book, but the room was large and the pool was very nice. My only complaint was with the bus system. I thought the buses were few and far between. I am comparing it with last years stay at the Port Orleans Riverside. I would recommend this property for couples.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AlwaysPlanning
Reviewed September 9, 2007

I recently stayed here for my honeymoon. It was cute and cozy and the atmosphere was very nice. However, I still had some complaints. As always, the Disney staff was amazing. Very friendly and helpful. When we first go there, we asked about having a king size bed but when we got to the room we had 2 twins. My husband called and we were switched to a different room with a king size bed. Then it took them about 7 hours to get our luggage to us and it was 1 am before they got it to our room because they had sent it to the wrong room. The room was nice but definitely not as clean. There was mildew on the ceiling in the shower that had not been cleaned. I think all the maids did while we were there where change out our towels and make the bed. The sheets weren't changed out once while we were there b/c there was a hole in one so that we were able to tell it was the same sheet the entire trip. The food was good however at the restruants that were on the boardwalk. At night time you can see the fireworks being shot off from the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. The bus rides were awesome b/c you are the first stop in the morning so the busses are always empty with plenty of seats and at night when you are tired your the first stop so you can get off instead of having to go to all the hotels. The pool was a very good size with a very fun slide. Also, you are within walking distance of Epcot and MGM. There are little paths to both which make it very convient. I would recommend taking these instead of the boats that can take you to each since those take so long waiting on passengers and stop at all the hotels. Its quicker to walk. We did have fun and overall it was nice. I'm not sure we'd stay there again since there are other hotels to try and we like trying different places. As long as you aren't a super hotel snob, the rooms are ok if not the nicest, but if you are looking for luxery, this isn't the place to stay. Its great for a family though.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Whit2810
Reviewed August 15, 2007

My wife and I just returned from a wonderful five night stay at the BoardWalk Inn and would strongly recommend it to anyone looking for a deluxe lodging at WDW.

First off, it is a gorgeous hotel that is extremely well located in the Epcot Resort Area. Well the exterior along the actual boardwalk is fine, it is the interior that really captures your eye. The attention to detail with the decorations is exceptional and reflects the trappings of 1920s American decor. Beautiful floors, furnishings, memorabilia and tapestries make the public areas really pop. The rooms are also spacious and well decorated, with plenty of closet and drawer space and two sinks on the vanity outside the bathroom. Our room had a small balcony that overlooked the first floor garden suites, but more significantly, the fireworks at Epcot, which made for a nice evening in.

In general, the staff was great and the little details were paid close attention to for the most part (like the steady stock of hand towels in the men's room that could be "borrowed" for use as a head mop while out in the Central Florida summer heat! :o))

Unlike a fair number of WDW resorts that suffer from things to do outside the resort, BW is right in the thick of things on the boardwalk, with a handful of dining options nearby as well as the kitschy trappings of the boardwalk itself. Only a five minute walk to the World Showcase entrance to Epcot, it's nothing to walk or take the boat over to Epcot for a bite or a drink. One of the real gems of the resort is the Belle Vue Room bar located on the second floor of the Inn. A bartender who really knows how to mix and serve a cocktail works the comfortably furnished and largely quiet room just past the main lobby. It is a kids-free zone for the most part and was a really pleasure to retire to for a quiet drink at the end of the day.

This is not to say that we didn't have a couple of quarrels with the BW. The main pool, which is generally very nice, is well removed from the Inn side on the Villas side and requires a march across the resort campus or through the hotel lobby. We would have used the "Quiet Pool" on the Inn side to cool off more, but there is no bar in the Quiet Pool area so our business went to the main pool. Signage in the complex could be better (lots of arrows pointing into the beyond with no reference markers to pick up the trail). Bus service can take a while because BW shares many of its bus routes with some combination of the Swan, Dolphin, Yacht and Beach Club resorts. And, unlike many other Disney resorts that are organized around some sort of central service node, all of BW's shops and restaurants and most of its amenities are located along the boardwalk and not really in the hotel itself, which can make a run for convenience items more of a trek than you might anticipate.

Still, those complaints aside, we would very much recommend this hotel for a future stay at WDW. It is very comfortable, attractive and well located and the service is very, very good. While my wife tells me we need to experience other resorts at WDW, I know I would be very happy returning to the BW time and again on our future trips!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Schmengi9