“Property is beautiful but service is not consistent”

Orlando World Center Marriott
Ranked #70 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Palm Springs, California
“Property is beautiful but service is not consistent”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We have been to this property many times, some for business and some for pleasure. We brought our children here for years, their favorite place besides the pool was the ice cream parlor.With that being said, while I find the front desk to be excellent while at the pool I find the poolside service to be horrible. It is very hit and miss; one day we had a excellent server who roamed constantly and everyone was happy. We were a very large group with different needs and bills. Then I go out today solo when I approach the restaurant, I had a wrap over my suit I was told to go back to my seat, they have poolside service. After objecting that I didn't want to juggle my food, the young female manager told me that wasn't a problem they brought it to me. To eat on my lap in a lounge chair by the pool, thanks for no thanks. I went back to poolside but after waiting about ten minutes figured hey, I will grab something inside. Well my options were scarce, greasy burgers or prepackaged foods. I opted to also skip the prepared meals at Starbucks and had a protein bar and a water. Now I see why so many people were bringing their own food out to eat. I thought the food we had previous was very good and reasonably priced but this type of service is not warranted. The next day I decided to give it one more try. The server we had never approached anyone in our group once in a three hour period. When we finally flagged down our server, we asked why she hadn't stopped by and she very rudely told us "she was busy." Hire more people, there was a convention going on and a lot of people out by the pool. The consensus of our contingent was the food could be very tasty but with service like that we passed the next day and grabbed sandwiches from Publix. This is a major training issue.
Housekeeping also is spotty. One day our amenities were replaced the next they weren't so we had no hair conditioner. Strange, then one day the housekeeper was excellent and checked back in the afternoon to see if we needed anything. Another training issue! One of the girls in our group said she went back at 3pm the previous day and no one had cleaned their room yet so she had no clean towels. Not good! We have chosen another property for our get together next year.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing the fireworks, although they may not be able to do so.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank adventurerplus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,175)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
University Park, Illinois
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Overall, the resort is exquisite. My room was tastefully decorated, well appointed and quite comfortable. Walter at checkin was wonderful! A very pleasant person who made me and two of my colleagues feel welcomed. He assigned our rooms so we could be near one another; gave us a great view for the fireworks; and personally escorted us to the tower where we would be staying. Absolutely every employee I encountered made me feel like a valued guest. Even while walking down a hall employees greeted me.
There are several eating options on the property and those that I tried were tasty but a bit pricey. I would recommend getting a rental car to expand your dining selections and your wallet. I truly enjoyed my stay at this hotel.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Snisuoc
Alex P, Guest Care Coordinator at Orlando World Center Marriott, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Lynn C, thank you for choosing to stay with us earlier this year. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Teddy at the front desk and Teresa in the bar were absolutely great...did everything they could to make my experience awesome. Teresa provided exceptional service in the bar in spite of it being packed. MWC should be proud of both employees

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Paul K, we are thrilled to hear about your awesome experience. Thank you for the kind words about Teddy & Teresa and for posting a review.
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Stayed on October 20 and 21, 2013. Excellent site location with great restaurants and convention center facilities. Housekeeping did not show up to clean my room on Monday, totally unacceptable for a hotel of this quality. Also, sliding door to balcony was locked due to "painting", so I was not able to walk out on the balcony to enjoy the excellent view and weather. No "painting" or housekeeping occurred in my room during my stay so this was very frustrating.

Seattle
Reviewed October 22, 2013

The Lobby Bar at the Marriot World center has the best managed staff of any hotel I have stayed at in many years. Kimberly Bradley who manages this gathering place has created a great customer experience through her wonderful and professional staff.
Teresa Wilson is the best in class in service and sincerity. Also Rob and Juan behind the bar were attentive, professional and as friendly as family.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 22, 2013

In town for 5 days for my husband's conference, I usually tag along and get to experience many different resorts around the country. I am VERY particular about service and attitude, from the front desk experience to housekeeping to wait staff at restaurants. Our stay began with an expedient and informational check in process and quick bag delivery by the bellman. Our room was as requested - on the quiet side of the resort (West Tower) overlooking the Spa Pool. The room was clean and nicely updated, if a bit small - but that is to be expected at a conference type property for a standard room.

Some standouts were security person - Anna - at the pools. She was helpful to me finding my way around on our first day at the resort, and she would recognize us and say "hello" for the rest of our stay. While we had a really nice meal at the Italian restaurant in the lobby the first night, it was the FABULOUS, friendly service from Dennis (from Queens, NY!) at the Falls Pool Bar and Grill the next day that kept us coming back each night. He first served me and my local girlfriends who came to meet me for lunch, and since we had not seen each other in years, we were not the easiest table to take care of! We talked and laughed, did not get to the menu for quite awhile, exchanged gifts, and through it all, Dennis did not rush us, neither did he keep us waiting. Our long lunch was made much more enjoyable by his graciousness and great service.

Food at the Falls Bar was great quality, gorgeous setting, and the specialty drinks were yummy - bartender did not skimp on the liquor! Dennis and the rest of the staff there (cute little blonde gal also served us a couple of times) were a delight and caused us to end each evening at the resort instead of going out into Orlando and eating off property.

We travel the world, both on business and pleasure, and it is rare that I have a stay about which I have nothing to complain. This was one of those rare, wonderful weeks. Thanks so much!

Room Tip: We don't have children, so we like to be near spa/workout facility and "grown up" pool...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Alex P, Guest Care Coordinator at Orlando World Center Marriott, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Lauren Leah M, thank you for sharing your wonderful week with us! We hope you and your husband will make plans to stay with us again soon.
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

My family & I stayed here in September on a family vacation. This is our sixth visit to Orlando but our first time at the Marriott World Center. It was exactly what we were looking for. Good service, good food, activities for my eight year old daughter and relaxation for my wife. It has the best pool I have ever seen at a hotel, it's huge and the new water slides are great. We spent as much time as possible at the pool. They have organized activities for kids and my daughter won one of the contests they held. It really made her day.

We loved our room although I wished the rooms had queen size beds instead of double beds. I would recommend getting a pool view room, we were on a budget so we didn't, our room was on the convention center side. The view from inside the room and out the window was the golf course, but when we sat on our balcony we could then see the roof of the convention center and hear the noise of the air conditioning units on the roof.

Also the hotel is currently undergoing renovations, but the noise from that was between 9AM and 5PM. The inconvenience was very minor.

This hotel is supposed to be the largest Marriott in the world, with over 2000 rooms and 450,000 sq. ft. of meeting space. It is huge. If you park your car in the parking garage, it can be a long walk to/from your room. The hotel was not busy when we were there and we were able to park in the lot for the North & West towers. Just a short walk to the elevators from there.

This hotel is geared to convention business and is priced and outfitted as such. No mini-fridge, instead a minibar with items for sale. Dining is very good but pricey. They do charge for internet and parking but there is no "Daily Resort Fee" that similar Orlando resort hotels charge.

Nice thing about the hotel is the convention side and the resort side don't really intersect. I hate having walk through a hotel lobby full business people while I wearing a wet bathing suit hauling a big inflatable pool float.

I am a Marriott Rewards member and they were always sending me email offers with great deals for this hotel. I was able to get a deal at low price with free parking plus a $25 per day resort credit for much less than a room at a Disney "moderate resort". This place is comparable to a WDW deluxe resort.

This is not the place to stay if you do not have a car. There is nothing within walking distance but WDW, dining and shopping are 5-10 min. by car.
We will stay here again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Travel_Jacket
Travel_Jacket, thank you for your being a Marriott Rewards member and for choosing to stay with us this time. We are thrilled to hear about the great time you and your family had while on vacation. We look forward to your next visit!