“Nice Hotel With Significant Challenges”

Orlando World Center Marriott
Ranked #70 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
Tampa, Florida
“Nice Hotel With Significant Challenges”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This massive and impressive hotel is well appointed and has a knowledgeable and friendly staff. My room was nice, roomy and had a very comfortable bed. The problems I found were first with the parking. There are not enough spaces to accommodate the number of rooms. I was able to valet park for a hefty per/day fee but had to wait over 30 minutes for my car to be retrieved. Finding a slightly late lunch during the afternoon is like finding a needle in a haystack. There is a food court with overpriced boxed items and Starbucks, which ran out of lunch items by 1 pm. I was surprised to turn on the local news one morning and hear a report that the HazMat team had been onsite at the hotel overnight. When I looked out the balcony, there were quite a few emergency vehicles still present from the night before. Apparently a fire broke out in a storage room containing chemical but it was located apart from the main hotel and no guests had to be evacuated.

1 Thank EnjoyingLifeinTampa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,225)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
gagirl47
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We were looking for a place to spend the night before leaving on a cruise the next day. We chose the Marriott World Center as we had wanted to try this hotel for some time. We checked in and got a nice room overlooking the pool. Then the banging and the drilling began. It sounded like it was right next door and went until night. Then at 9:00 the next morning it started again. I guess you don't need alarm clocks here! The hotel is old and showing many signs of disrepair, but after asking at the front desk what the occupancy rate was (50%) they clearly had plenty of rooms AWAY from the area that they were working on. We should not have been put right next to the construction.

The pool was beautiful, but we never did go into it. We did have dinner at the japanese restaurant on site which ended up at about $150 for 2 of us with 2 drinks. The filet was good but the shrimp and chicken my husband had was not good at all. I think we will take this off of the list and will not be back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Alex P, Guest Care Coordinator at Orlando World Center Marriott, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
gagirl47, I apologize for the noise you experienced during your stay. I understand your frustration. I hope you will give us another opportunity so you can enjoy all of the great amenities including the pool.
England
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Quite big place, nice staff around pool bar with decent snack food. More of a business type hotel but for us playing golf was fine, room service was excellent. Golf course is excellent and golf staff give you the PGA feeling . Would definitely go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Alex P, Guest Care Coordinator at Orlando World Center Marriott, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
JohnBoland, thank you for the review! Hope you can make it back for another stay and a round or two of golf soon.
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husband and I along with our 2 young daughters stayed at the Orlando World Center Marriott Resort during spring break and our long awaited vacation was ruined as we were bitten all over by bedbugs. We have heard that bedbugs are not strangers at hotels but we totally did not expect it at this hotel or any Marriott hotels. Without going into too much details, I just want to share how terrible the Front Office Manager, Ronald Mcanaugh, Assistant Front Office Manager, Johsel Rivera, and Legal Claims Adjuster, Shannon Eiser, handled the situation.

First of all, Ronald and Johsel kept insisting that the hotel was not at fault given the nature of their operation even though they had an external pest control company come in to confirm that there was indeed bedbugs in the room. They were insensitive to the fact that we were there on vacation with our kids and had to waste time changing rooms a few times. We did not enjoy all the theme parks which we had prepaid in advance since we were so uncomfortable dealing with the itchy bites. They weren't very apologetic and didn't take extra steps to make sure we enjoyed the rest of our stay. What is most appalling is that front office manager and assistant manager didn't seem shocked or surprised when we told them and it leads us to believe that they may probably deal with this all the time, which explains their cold-hearted demeanor.

Second of all, they were negligent in handling our personal belongings when they offered to steam them. They left our items in the bell stand overnight along with luggages from other hotel guests even though they know that our room had bedbugs. They didn't even realized that their staff left them there until the following afternoon when we were looking for my belongings and no one knew where they were. They didn't take the highest level of care in preventing the spread of bedbugs. Since they were negligent in handling out personal items and didn't steam them in a timely matter, I was worried about bringing bedbugs back to our apt in NYC. We didn't have confidence that our belongings, which included soft luggages and a stroller, were steamed properly. When we requested that they pay for a bedbug canine inspector when we arrive home, we had to deal with Shannon Eiser from their legal claims dept and she was also insensitive.

This brings me to my third point. Shannon Eiser was quick to shift blame on us when she was suppose to help resolve the issue. She was insinuating that we brought the bedbugs to the hotel and said that there was a recent outbreak in NYC. Adding fuel to fire, that was how unprofessional they all were and lacked sensitivity. She also said they needed to find out what stage of the life cycle the bedbugs were in before she can agree to pay for the inspector. In the end, she agreed to cover the cost but that again took a lot of effort on my part, spending almost one day on the phone with various personnel. The least they can do was to offer this since they didn't handle our personal items properly in the first place but she made us feel like this request was unreasonable. I don't care what stage those bedbugs were in. The fact of the matter is that there were bedbugs in the room and that has been confirmed. Besides the inspection cost was only $500.

Lastly, as mentioned earlier, they did not take extra steps to make sure we enjoyed the rest of our stay. They did not outright offer anything to remediate the situation besides comping our parking fees as we had prepaid our rooms thru a 3rd party. After dragging our kids to the front desk and haggling a few times and also calling the Marriott corporate customer care line a few times, we got food credit to use at restaurants inside the Marriott as well as Marriott points equivalent to 5 nights for future use. This took a lot of effort and much emotional stress and frustration. When I requested to get a refund on our stay, they revoked the Marriott points back. They handled the situation in such a distasteful way. This was a traumatizing experience for all of us and nothing can make up for what we went through. A refund should be immediately offered for having such a horrific time and offering point for future use should represent a sincere opportunity from the hotel to correct this unfortunate situation and to help restore our faith in the Marriott brand. They refused to let us keep the points and revoked them immediately.

I am disappointed in both the hotel and the corporate office's way of handling our situation. We should not have to deal with anything like this on a family vacation. The amount of frustration and anguish we endured was unnecessary.

Beware of bedbugs when you stay here!!!! And when something does happen, beware that they will be quick to shift fault to their customers.

Mr. Bill Marriott, please take note of this situation and do something about the lack of quality professional customer care Ronald Mcanaugh, Johsel Rivera and Shannon Eiser are exhibiting. They are bringing down the Marriott name that you and your family worked hard for.

• Stayed March 2013
19 Thank Laney1212
Marriott cares greatly about every guest’s experience. We take hotel hygiene and sanitation very seriously. As a result, Marriott has established very strict standards of cleanliness for all its hotels that either meet or exceed public health department regulations, including pest control. In the unusual event we are made aware of a concern, we respond immediately to the situation and take the appropriate steps to remediate whatever problem we find.
Decatur, Georgia
Reviewed August 25, 2013

This place is quite big. I recently attended a business conference here and was impressed in several ways. Although there were 8000 attendees, the hotel employees kept everything flowing.
The pool and waterslide areas were quite pretty---my kids would have been in heaven. I ate at several restaurants in the hotel and every meal was good.
One day I left my room without my key. I only realized it as I was returning to my room. I was about to ask a maid to let me in when out of nowhere comes a security guard on a Segway. I showed him my driver's license, he called the desk and verified my room and opened the door. Kind of scary but wonderful timing that saved me a long trip to the lobby and a wait in line to get a new key. I would definitely come back with the family on our next visit to the theme parks.

2 Thank Terry R
Greenwich, Connecticut
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed at the Marriott World Center during our trip to Epcot. We travelled with our two teenage children. Check in was very quick and efficient despite the size of the hotel. As soon as we pulled up to the front of the hotel, we were met by a valet and a bellman who took the luggage from the car. We were then escorted to the front desk. There were five or six people at the front desk to make sure check in was quick and efficient. It took all of two minutes. As for parking (which was a concern for me staying at this hotel) there are two options: self park or valet park. We decided to valet park and then changed to self park when we learned we were staying in the North Tower. There was an outdoor parking lot right outside of the North Tower. It was great. No waiting for the car with the valet and we were able to come and go as we wanted. The North Tower is toward the back of the hotel and was very quiet.
As I am a Marriott Rewards member, we were upgraded to a room facing Epcot and Disney which was great for watching the fireworks at night. The Epcot fireworks were more difficult to see than the Disney ones as much of that show is done at ground level at the park, but there was a great view of any fireworks that went up in the sky. However, we were able to lay in bed and watch the fireworks. The Disney fireworks went off an hour later than the ones at Epcot so we had a wonderful display of fireworks. It was amazing.
The bellman was so helpful. He took us to our room and immediately ordered us a refrigerator (no charge) and called a maintenance technician to fix the lock on the sliding glass door on the balcony as we were not able to open it. The refrigerator came to the room in five minutes and the technician was there as well in under 10 minutes and immediately fixed the problem.
The room was adequate with nice, comfortable beds. The room was very clean. There could have been more towels there, but I asked the staff for more towels and I was given what I needed and then some. I loved the two sinks outside the bathroom. Very helpful with two teenagers. After settling into the room, we went to the pool for the afternoon. Pool is gorgeous and the slides are lots of fun. There were plenty of cushioned chairs and hotel staff were constantly walking around making sure the pool area was clean of cups, food and towels. The best part of the afternoon was the free refills on the iced tea. Not something I would have known. The iced tea was $4.25 plus tip which would have been very pricey for one, but with free refills all afternoon it was a great bargain. By the way, the sweet tea was delicious.
We ate breakfast the next morning at the buffet. There is a different price for kids and for teenagers. I knew the kids buffet was less but I did not know there was also a different price for teenagers so that I did not have to pay for a full adult buffet for my teenager. Since the food in the Food Court was quite pricey, this ended up being a better bet given the amount of food, juice and tea and coffee that was available at the buffet. The food was delicious. I am generally leary of food court food, but we ate there the second morning and the food was very fresh.
There is no doubt that this hotel is massive. However, the way the hotel is designed is very convenient. We never had a long walk anywhere. Some previous reviewers said the North Tower was older and noisey from renovations. We had no issues with anything. The room was so quiet. I would definitely recommend that tower because of the ease of parking.

Last I cannot conclude this review without mentioning how nice and friendly the staff was. They were so helpful and did everything they could to ensure a wonderful stay. To me, the attitude of the staff is of key importance and the World Center did not disappoint. The only caution I would have about this hotel is that if there is a convention going on the hotel will be packed. The day we left there were two big conventions at the hotel. As we drove off, the line of cars coming into the facility backed up into the road. There were signs saying the parking lots were full. I am not sure how hotel guests got around this mess, but I am sure they were directed where to go by the staff. Other than that issue, this is a wonderful place to stay.

Room Tip: A high floor facing Disney and Epcot