“Good hotel at International Drive, but it lost quality since last year”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Orlando - International Drive
Ranked #122 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed December 11, 2013

It is a very good hotel in a central location , close to stores and parks. The hotel is new, rooms are confortable and there is a very good breakfast served daily in the hotel lobby.
Internet is free.
I went there last year and I felt the quality of service decreased. It was hard to get my room cleaned - housekeeping did not show Up in the first day and the safe stopped working.
As this hotel is new i think it should be better managed.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed December 2, 2013

We had a few problems here but it wasn't a terrible stay. The elevator was probably the most annoying cause it was soooo slow. Also, the key cards didnt work at first and the internet was spotty. The breakfast buffet was good enough, plenty of choices, biscuits and gravy being one of my favs. The only thing this hotel is missing is a bar/lounge but pretty conveinant to the parks. Front desk person told me it was 25 miles to Epcot, not sure what he was thinking as it was only 10. Shuttle picks up at Ecot at 6:30 and this seems quite early but at this time of the year we had finished the park by then so the shuttle would have been ok.

1  Thank tboneroswell
Mary_Bonomo, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Orlando - International Drive, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Thank you for taking time to share your recent review of the Holiday Inn Express and Suites Orlando. I apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. We are aware that some guests are having issues with our Wifi, and for this reason we are in the process of having more wireless access points added to rectify the situation. Similarly, per the Holiday Inn Express brand standards, we are not able to offer a bar or lounge. This is something that sets the Holiday Inn full service brand apart from the Holiday Inn Express limited service brand. I do agree that offering that type of service would be nice and more convenient for our valued guests, but unfortunately at this time it is not possible to offer that.

Please understand that with our shuttle services we try to offer scheduled times that meet the needs of the majority of guests using this complimentary service. I do understand that some guests prefer to spend more time at the park; however we try to keep in mind those who do not plan to stay the entire day as well. I appreciate your feedback on this as well.

Once again, thank you for sharing your comments about the hotel. This helps us to identify areas of opportunity so that we can make necessary improvements to improve the satisfaction of our guests.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

We had an excellent stay at this hotel. The check-in was very prompt. They have about 4 luggage trolleys where one use to move all the bags to our rooms. Internet access was available but it was very slow. Breakfast was excellent and it had a decent choice and enough places for people to sit and enjoy it. Its located on International drive and there are a few eating places nearby. There is I-ride trolley service available on International Drive to go to the Premium outlets and there are two of them on either ends. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Mary_Bonomo, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Orlando - International Drive, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Thank you so very much for taking time to share your most recent experience at the Holiday Inn Express and Suites Orlando. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and the service you received. We are looking forward to your next visit to Orlando!

Reviewed November 8, 2013

Location wise this place is great for Universal/Island of Adventures/Wet n Wild, it also has a TGI's conveniently located next to the hotel which is good for a quick breakfast buffet before your day at the parks, slightly discounted when staying at the hotel.
The hotel also lays on a free shuttle bus to the parks, leaving at four separate times between 8am-10am, tickets attained from the guest services desk.
Downsides to our stay were that we had to switch rooms due to the room above having a flood and the water dripped through the ceiling into the bathroom thankfully, then our new room the air con unit was quite loud and kept disturbing our rest.
Beds were comfy and the rooms quite spacious. They also allowed us a late check out at no extra cost. The staff were very prompt to rectify any problems we had and were always welcoming.
Another recommendation for dinner is Millers Alehouse just down the street next to the Double Tree hotel. Great food and service.

1  Thank janeymadone
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Arrived at hotel about 9 PM and was greeted in a warm manner as Priority members and had reserved the room on points. Got to our room and it was very cold so we tried the heater and it didn't work. Called the front desk and the maintenance person arrived and played with the switch, said it should work now and left. After several minutes it was still blowing cold air so we switched to another room. We tried the TV in the second room and it didn't work so the maintenance man arrived again but couldn't fix it so we went to the front desk and asked for another room. We then went to the third room and the TV didn't work however once we played with the plug on the back of the TV we got it to work. We set the alarm for 6 AM but it rang at 5 AM and when we reported it the front desk person had nothing to say. As Platinum members in the Holiday Inn Priority Club we would have expected much better response to the problems encountered. There was nothing said about any kind of point refund and no real apologies for all our problems.

1  Thank Dale C
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Orlando - International Drive, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear Dale C,

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in June for 6 nights then came back and stayed 2more nights. 1st time of stay I found, next morning under shirt white color??? I did not say anything but always wondering about change bed sheets? Staff was good, breakfast was good and hotel was clean also. When we came back 2nd time, next morning I found some one's house sleeper that was left in the drawer!! I was upset then so I took it to the manager and give it to him. Manager asked me is it yours??? LOL.. If it was mine why I was giving him,,,,,,,
Anyway no apology or nothing.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Mary_Bonomo, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Orlando - International Drive, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Thank you for writing your review of the Holiday Inn Express and Suites Orlando. I appreciate you taking time to share the events of your recent stay. I am a bit concerned because you made mention that after finding the t-shirt in your room, you brought this to a manager's attention, but I know that I have not spoken with anyone about something like this. Also, you referenced a male manager, but I am a female. Please understand that I take cleanliness and guest satisfaction very seriously and I would like to personally discuss this matter with you if at all possible. We have a well trained housekeeping staff and very rigid rules regarding our cleaning standards. Our sheets are changed every other day if staying over, and for every check out room. We understand there are many options for lodging in Orlando, and for this reason we pay close attention to cleanliness and detail to ensure our guests have an enjoyable, and most important, comfortable experience.

At any rate, I do ask if at all possible, if you could please contact me. I can be reached at 407-535-4100 ext. 705 during business hours. I have limited information, so unfortunately I have no means to contact you for additional information about your experience.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

I arrived at 10 am and was told that my room was not ready. "We can hold your luggage for you", said the staff, "Please come back after 4 pm." Sounds good. I have done this a lot of other times at other hotels. I came back at 6 pm. Something wasn't right.

Here's what went terribly wrong:
1- I came early and dropped off my luggage, but they claimed that I was late and gave my room away
2- After giving my room away that I paid in advance, they said they will not give me a refund. I have to accept any room they give me, even if it meant a cheaper lower end room.
3- Putting me in a room with a huge black stain (4 ft x 3 ft) and the staff saying that this is normal. Yes, all marble floors have big black stains (like someone spill a quart of motor oil on it and let it dry). The new room that they put me in was not like this.
4- After complaining about the black stain, the manager said that it was my fault because I booked the room through a 3rd party website like travelocity and that I should be grateful for what I was given.
5- Oh really? I reminded her (manager) that I am a ROYAL PLATINUM AMBASSADOR (the highest level membership that can be achieved in their IHG membership program) and that I booked this reservation through their IHG website. (yes, the manager lied just to make me feel bad)
6- Because of my membership status, I can get a free upgrade (which would not happen because I already paid for the most expensive room since I was traveling with other people)- in this case, I got a down grade and no refund for the difference.

ONLY AFTER BEING TOLD OF MY MEMBERSHIP LEVEL, they got me a room without a giant oil stained floor and something that I was more used to (like other Holiday Inn Express hotels).

Maybe this was a fluke, but everybody messed up, even the manager, until I reminded them of my membership status and that I booked directly with them.
I feel sorry for the next victim who does not have such a membership, because they might end up with a room with sticky floors and bathroom with a huge black stain.
In the end, I did get a suitable replacement, but the way the staff and manager handled it was VERY poor and that is why I gave them a two star rating.
Please note: the value, sleep quality and cleanliness were based on the replacement room that they gave me.

Room Tip: If you come in early, make the staff write a note that they will not give your room away.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Edwin Y

Thank you so very much for taking time to share your recent review of the Holiday Inn Express and Suites Orlando. I am very disappointed to hear of your less than satisfactory experience upon arrival at the hotel. One important thing I wanted to make mention of is that our granite in every one of our guest rooms and public areas does have a natural variation in color. The black spots you referenced that you saw on the table tops and floors is part of the granite's natural pattern. I do apologize if you mistook this natural design to be something different.

Regardless, the confusion with your reservation and room type never should have happened. I am sincerely sorry for the inconvenience that you experienced with your reservation. I do hope that you would allow us to make up for it by giving us another chance to redeem ourselves and our reputation. When you are planning to be in the Orlando area, I ask that you contact me directly (my extension is 705) so that I may arrange your reservation personally.