I must be one of the few people who visit this hotel only because I was attending a business convention at a nearby (and infinitely more pleasant) resort hotel, and had zero interest in the theme parks and other attractions nearby. However that resort hotel was double the price of the HI, and that influenced my colleague's and my decision to stay here instead. We survived.
My initial reaction on arrival was that the place was a dump: I was located in a pretty basic, and clearly old, room. Old furniture, peeling wallpaper in the bathroom, with stains I didn't even want to think about. And with room-service food from TGIF, it doesn't get much worse (in a mainstream US city, that is). My colleague was upgraded to a suite on level 7, and although it was somewhat cheerier than my cell, it was nothing special. This is a very basic HI, and given its proximity to Universal, and the relatively cheap price, one could do worse. Although, the morning TV bulletins about tourists being attacked in other motels in the immediate vicinity tended to amplify the slightly seedy atmosphere and added a certain frisson of danger.
Otherwise, the front-desk staff did nothing wrong, and were pleasant in my brief dealings with them. The room was made up properly every day, and I left with my health and luggage intact. This was despite the risk of combustion from the maze of wires and cables under the desk, where I enjoyed complimentary high-speed internet. (See picture.) I know that electrical equipment is an afterthought at many hotels, but this particular array of wires, cables, plugs and devices must surely set some sort of record.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn & Suites across from Universal Orlando is located in the heart of Central Florida's exciting attractions, convention and shopping area. Visit our recently renovated hotel just across the street from the Universal Orlando Resort. Our property features a variety of room types to fit any traveler's needs from Deluxe Guest Rooms with two double beds or a king size bed, and spacious One or Two-Bedroom Suites with nicely equipped kitchenette including microwave and refrigerator. Must be at least 21 to stay. Fabulous amenities to enhance your visit to Orlando such as Game Room, Gift Shop, Guest Laundry Facilities and Valet Service, Fitness Center, Business Center, Outdoor Heated Pool and Kids Splash Zone and the Destination Universal Guest Services Desk with discount attraction tickets to Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure, and SeaWorld. Complimentary Limited Scheduled transportation to Universal Orlando and SeaWorld. Transportation to Walt Disney World also available. Shuttle transportation schedule subject to change seasonally, service provided through the Destination Universal Guest Services Desk, advance reservations required. TGI Friday's Restaurant on-property serving Breakfast Buffet, Lunch and Dinner, Bar offers Happy Hour daily. TGI Friday's also serving room service. Banquet/Meeting facilities feature 13,000 sq. ft. of flexible function space including 6,500 square foot ballroom and 8 break out rooms. Our experienced team will make your stay or event with us special. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TravelUp, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn & Suites Main Gate To Universal Orlando Hotel Orlando
- Holiday Inn And Suites Main Gate To Universal Orlando
- Holiday Inn Orlando