“Somewhat depressing”

Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando
Ranked #175 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed June 3, 2007

I must be one of the few people who visit this hotel only because I was attending a business convention at a nearby (and infinitely more pleasant) resort hotel, and had zero interest in the theme parks and other attractions nearby. However that resort hotel was double the price of the HI, and that influenced my colleague's and my decision to stay here instead. We survived.
My initial reaction on arrival was that the place was a dump: I was located in a pretty basic, and clearly old, room. Old furniture, peeling wallpaper in the bathroom, with stains I didn't even want to think about. And with room-service food from TGIF, it doesn't get much worse (in a mainstream US city, that is). My colleague was upgraded to a suite on level 7, and although it was somewhat cheerier than my cell, it was nothing special. This is a very basic HI, and given its proximity to Universal, and the relatively cheap price, one could do worse. Although, the morning TV bulletins about tourists being attacked in other motels in the immediate vicinity tended to amplify the slightly seedy atmosphere and added a certain frisson of danger.
Otherwise, the front-desk staff did nothing wrong, and were pleasant in my brief dealings with them. The room was made up properly every day, and I left with my health and luggage intact. This was despite the risk of combustion from the maze of wires and cables under the desk, where I enjoyed complimentary high-speed internet. (See picture.) I know that electrical equipment is an afterthought at many hotels, but this particular array of wires, cables, plugs and devices must surely set some sort of record.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank AntonyG

Reviewed May 28, 2007

I spent two days arriving to Orlando with my partner. It was very conveniently located in Orlando and very close to Universal Studios, where we spent the following morning.
Hotel is nothing special. Very family-esque with screaming kids in the swimming pool. Staff are friendly and you can use their free shuttle service to go to Universal Studios.
We wanted to use their gym, but they were refurbishing it, so they gave us free passes to an even better gymnasium, which was a nice treat.
Overall a little bit worn out, old furniture, but clean and handy for Universal studios

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kyrikos
Reviewed May 9, 2007

We only stayed here because everywhere else was booked solid during the week we wanted in Feb 2007. They gave us a room in the 'Tower' which was obviously some kind of punishment!

Our lack of planning meant that we paid way over the odds for a grim lime green painted room - some of the problems being:-

Tiny window which was useless against the relentless traffic noise from the highway outside.

Very dark room with low ceiling - all walls painted lime green with black damp patches on the ceiling

Very noisy fridge with an internal door that wouldn't shut properly due to the amount of ice frozen solid from the freezer compartment. (we left this wide open for the when housekeeping came in - they did nothing just shut the door on it!

Layer of dust on all surfaces, filthy carpet, etc etc

Couldn't believe this was a holiday inn, having travelled from Vegas where we had stayed in the fantastic Holiday Inn Express there. Also they had the cheek to charge us twice for our stay, saying that they hadn't been paid by the website we booked with!! We did get the money back promptly but it was an annoying end to a poor stay.

Stayed: February 2007
2  Thank loopylady
Reviewed April 4, 2007

I read the reviews before booking and we stayed in a two-bedroom suite. The size of the room was fine but we had several issues: there were ants crawling on the sink, one of the bathroom tubs had a very slow drain (nothing like showering while standing in dirty water), The television in the living room didn't work and they didn't have a replacement, they mention they offer video games for the kids, what they don't mention is that it is a system built into the television and it costs $7 a game for 60 minutes. Though we were gone most of the day in the parks, when we came back to the room the offerings were very slim and you had to pay for additional basic channels. The game room wasn't a great deal since the machine that dispensed the coins broke on our first night and the hotel wouldn't sell us the tokens. It is definitely true what I've read on other reviews. The hotel staff really doesn't seem to care much if there is a problem. Finally, the last thing that turned me against the hotel. I was checking out and it took 35 minutes to get a $0 balance bill printed. I still didn't get it and had to leave because my shuttle had arrived.

There were some good points: The TGIFriday's restaurant offers poolside service. That was great when I was watching the kids swim; The kids eating free was a good deal (though you have to ask for the vouchers because we weren' told we needed to get the voucher from the hotel front desk BEFORE eating) but that was easily fixed.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank chicagoan0923
Reviewed March 11, 2007

We stayed at the hotel only one night which was Saturday March 11th. The rooms are in dire need of renovations. I read other reviews regarding the suites so that it what we booked. We had a filthy bathroom with faucets that leaked. The front desk staff was rude and probably tired of hearing all the complaints. Our room wasnt ready until an hour after check in time. We also had requested a wake up call which never came! It was terrible. It is not worth it to be close to Universal to have to stay in a room like this one.

• Stayed: March 2007
4  Thank traveler038
Reviewed March 6, 2007

We stayed over at the Holiday Inn Universal from Dec-06 ending thru Jan 1st '07 , to celebrate the new year in Orlando.

Right upon arrival we were asked to wait for 4 hours in the lobby as the room was not ready. A person on the front desk (His name is Euclid) acted extremely aloof and his attitude was saying that he does not care at all what we do and we were wasting his time asking for options.

The room itself was a twin bed with hair on the pillows.

The worst part was yet to come. The bathroom was absolutely filthy, with what looked like blood stains in the bath tub as well as the floor looked like it had dirt pasted all over the place.

From the 2nd night of the stay, the bathroom ceiling literally started leaking with a yellow watery substance running down and splashing on the sink surface and all over the bathroom. We had to use towels to let the water/whatever it was drip on the same.

Nothing was done with our complaints. There was no internet connectivity as well.

I would never recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled solo
4  Thank MgFar
Reviewed February 18, 2007

We stayed in a suite - the room was beautiful and VERY clean. All staff were very friendly and helpful (ice machine wasnt working in the fridge, they were there within 5 minutes with a large box of ice).
This hotel is right across the street from Universal/Islands of Adventure - it's a beautifully landscaped 10 minute walk to the park entrance. You do have to cross a busy road, but there are signals-had no problems crossing it with my 6 and 11 year olds.
Kids eat free at TGIFridays (which is attached to hotel) but make sure you ask for the "Kids Eat Free" coupon when checking in at the front desk (they forgot to give us ours). Food isn't the best but convenient - I would recommend eating somewhere else if you can.
The pool is heated and very clean - kids had a great time in it.
I was very impressed with this hotel and will for sure be back.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family