“Great Value for money”

Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando
Ranked #171 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed April 13, 2010

If you are looking for a good value hotel close to Universal then stay here. The hotel is currently being renovated and as a a result we were in a one bedroomed suite which was clean spacious and had everything we needed for our 2 night stay.
The reception staff were very helpful as we turned up very early and our room was not ready which we expected so they stored our luggage in a secure room to allow us to go and spend the day at Universal and come back to check in. On returning they remembered us and checked us in quickly.

The hotel is a 10-15 minute walk to Universal studios and although it is across a large highway there is a pedestrian crossing so it is not difficult to get across. In all honesty it takes almost as long to walk from the far end of the car park in Universal as it does from the hotel!!

All in all the hotel is great value for money and is as close as you will get to Universal without staying in one of the resort hotels which will be far more expensive.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,166)

Reviewed March 24, 2010

We returned yesterday from a week long stay at the Holiday Inn Universal. Yes, the place is older but are undergoing a billion dollar renovation - inside and out. The staff could not have been more helpful. We had a suite which was cleaned thoroughly every day. The beds are comfy and the bedrooms are quiet, I never heard anything from the hallway or from outside. This is the place to stay for Universal and I can't wait to go back next year to see the renovations!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2010

The hotel is within walking distance to Universal Studios, but it's a LONG walk.
There is 1 bus in the morning going to Universal and 1 returning, catch it, it's better than walking. A taxi is a good option at $7.
The whole feeling of this hotel is DO NOT expect to be pampered.
If your goal is to spend the day at Universal and you just need a place to crash, this place is fine. The hotel is well worn. There is a very mediocore TGIF restaurant attached.
Not recommended for people with small children.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank jbinder007
Reviewed February 21, 2010

I am not a hotel snob. I will stay at a 3 star hotel if it is clean. Honestly a clean room is always my main concern because I spend very little time in the room except to sleep and shower. Before I unpack I do a check of the room that I learned watching one of the news programs. I first check the bed by pulling back the blankets and sheets and check the folds of the mattress (I even do this in 4 & 5 star hotels). When I walked into this room it looked clean but when I lifted the fold of the mattress can you guess what I saw!!?!?! Two bed bugs just waiting for me to lay down so that they could begin their feast. Needless to say I went to the front desk let them know that my room was already occupied and that I would be leaving. The night manager was very apologetic, but he was not as surprised as I would have liked him to have been. My husband even brought one of the little critters down in a plastic cup. So if you don't mind sharing your room with icky bloodsuckers that may decide to hitch a ride home then this may be the hotel with you.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
8  Thank DeeDee076
Reviewed January 8, 2010

...and that's about it! the staff was nice, but the place itself is a dump! when we first arrived we were welcomed to sinks, photos, pipes, and other random things scattered about on the lawn. it looked like a yard sale that someone took a metal bat too. so after that i wasn't expecting anything special. our room had the view of a back-lot. and the curtains are incapable of closing, so be prepared to rise with the sun! the table in the room was set, but they left dirty dishes in the dishwasher. we got this room because not only can you literally walk to the park, but it said that they had a kitchen. HOWEVER, the stove tops don't work because they decided not to make them functional. why? it's a mystery that the staff doesn't even know about. the room we had was pretty big and spacious. 2 beds a living room/bathroom/wash area. the sink in our vanity was not only falling out of the countertop, but it was clogged since the day we got there, and we kept asking for them to fix it. ....that never happened. needless to say when we left it didn't drain at all! last, but not least (i'm sparing your time by not telling you everything that happened) there were multipul trays of leftover food from applebees that someone didn't want to finish, just chillin out in the hallway, waiting 5 days for someone to pick up. yup. ...it was nice being so close to the park. so we didn't have to pay for parking. and that's really the only thing positive i can say about it.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank Traveler222225
Reviewed November 6, 2009

When I read the reviews I was afraid because I had already made my reservation to this hotel. But we were very happy with our room. Our reservation was for a room with two double beds (for 4 persons) and we had the surprise to have a kitchenette (fridge, dishwasher, table) and a sofa. We had plenty of place and it was clean. And it is easy to walk to universal studios, it took 10-15 minutes. (but they have shuttle if you want)
We had a great time :)

Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank acidburn666
Reviewed October 27, 2009

I think that some of the previous reviews of this hotel do it a major injustice. Granted, it is not the newest hotel in the area, nor is it the most luxurious, but it does have some excellent advantages:
1. Location
Situated right at at the entrance to Universal Sudios and an easy walk of about 10 minutes to both parks. The property also has a TGI Fridays on site and is roughly 2 minutes in the car from the heart of International Drive.
2. Price
Excellent rates and far cheaper than many similar standard hotels in the area.
3. Rooms
Not the most modern, but extremely spacious and with all the required extras. We had a 1 bed suite, and this included a small kitchen, microwave, fridge and 2 TVs.
4. Staff
Very friendly and helpful. There is also a Universal Studios desk in the hotel selling park tickets and a car hire desk (I think it was Budget).
Overall the hotel "does what it says on the tin". If your looking for a cheap, clean and spacious hotel right next door to Universal then choose this one.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple