“stay out of it.”

Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando
Ranked #172 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed July 21, 2005

I checked in on Jul 18 night with booking thru travel agent in HK. This is the most terrible hotel that I had spent my vacation.
I stayed on the 4th floor.

1) The room smells.
2) Air - condiitioner too much noise. Well, it is not noise. It is like an old truck has the engine on next to you all the time.
3) Cockcoaches in the room.
4) Water for shower is weak like drippling.
5) flea bites found on my son within 5 minutes entering the room. then my wife.
6) Walls are dirty.
7) Carpet is moisted and very very dirty.
8) bath room is not clean.

Now, I checked in another hotel near by with a similar rate but a much cleaner room. All I ask for is a clean room to stay for the nights.

sorry, I should have taken photo to post it here.

• Stayed: July 2005
4  Thank a90394466
Write a ReviewReviews (2,217)

Florida
Reviewed July 16, 2005

My wife and I traveled here to Orlando to visit the Magic Kingdom...We are Holiday Inn "Priority Club" members so we decided to stay at this Holiday Inn being that it is very close to Disney's Magic Kingdom, and also because we are trying to build incentive "points" for always choosing Holiday Inn(s). This is one time I wish we would have chosen a different location.
We rented a room for one night, paid $89.00 plus tax. We were assigned to the 6th floor. As we were walking down the 6th floor corridor we could smell a musty aroma, and there was litter all through the hallway, as well as trash bags and dirty linen. Each step we took we could hear the squishing sound of water in the carpet. Upon entering our room we couldn't believe the condition of the room. The floor/carpet was damp and soggy to the step, and the paint was totally missing in very large area of the walls. The room was very bleak. I immediately telephoned the front desk and spoke with the Guest Manager Mr. Jeremy Butts. I told Mr. Butts that this room was unacceptable and under no circumstance was my wife and I going to stay in that room. Mr. Butts reassigned us to the 4th floor. The hallway on the 4th floor was in the same shape as that on the 6th. Wet and smelly, and very cluttered with bed linens and towels and trash. The hallway smelled of...feet?!? We entered the room (mainly to escape the smell of the hallway) and there we totally lost all of our vacation spirit. The room was damp, smelly and was decorated with flea market furnishings. Again, we told Mr. Butts that we could not understand how this Hotel could rent rooms in such a condition, and that the aroma of the hallways and rooms had actually effected us physically. We were going to leave the hotel for any other place when my wife had a 1-on-1 talk with Mr. Butts...we were assigned a room on the 10th floor, the hotels "best" floor. Suffice it to say that we did stay in this 10th floor room, but not because it was satisfactory, but because we were tired of dragging luggage around and we wanted to just go to Disney and come back to sleep and then go home.
This hotel is in such bad condition that I feel it should be totally condemned, and classified as unfit and unsafe to the public. Who inspects hotels for the safety of the public? There is no way this hotel could pass a health and safety inspection by a legit inspector!
I have attached several photos of our 10th floor room. The photos will show that the beds are very old and worn and stained. The pillows appeared to be urine stained. The carpet was not tacked down and was peeled up at the corners. When I pulled back the peeled up edge I found nasty "Q" tips, nails, dirt and ants. There was food stuck on the ceiling. The sliding glass door had a space between the wall and the door jamb that allowed outside weather to come in the room, and also allowed the a/c to escape the room. The balcony was muddy and strown with cigarette butts. The carpet was disgusting and very wet. This room was the better of the three. The hotel did reduce my nightly rate from $89.00 to $69.00...$29.00 would have been too much for this place! Note: I have found out that this hotel has been severely damaged as a direct result of several hurricanes and tropical storms over the past couple of years, thus the hotel leaks due to structural damage. This hotel is very nasty and very unsafe. Needs to be closed down and rebuilt.

• Stayed: July 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 7, 2005

There was certainly nothing wrong with this hotel but there was nothing great either. It appears older from the outside but the rooms are large and clean. It is right across from Universal but still a long way from the gates. We drove over to Universal and parked for $13 on the preferred parking level. The hotel has a shuttle but it didn't run as often as we would have liked so rather than wait around after a tiring day, we just drove. It was a quiet hotel and we had no problems. If you're looking for a memorable place to stay this probably isn't the place for you, but if you're just looking for a clean reasonable place to sleep, this hotel is fine.

Stayed: June 2005
7  Thank gumballmachine
Reviewed May 17, 2005

I have stayed at this hotel on many occassions and have always been able to get a fair rate. The room I was given had just been renovated and was excellent. (New carpet, drapes, sofa and beds). I was satisfied with the room and the hotel has an excellent location. (Near I-4, restaurants and Metrowest.) I did have one small problem and Jeremy at the front desk wanted to give me a lecture, berate, and belittle me. I just waited until the next day when he was not working and my problem was corrected by the morning desk manager. (I do not remember her name, but she was a young black girl and was fantastic!!) Thank-you! I will be back. I will not let one bad apple upset me-- although I think other customer's might.

• Stayed: May 2005, traveled on business
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 2, 2005

We stayed at this hotel twice in a 4 week span. Not because we wanted too but because of the groups we were with. The first time was a disaster. Our suites entrance was blocked with a trash bag, the hallway was filthy and there was a wet floor sign in the hallway the whole weekend.

That night someone came into our room with a key. We called to inform the desk and to make sure they took care of it and that someone didnt have our room key. The next day when our key didnt work we inquired to find out that they still had that other person in our room and didnt even show us in the hotel.

The next day we got evacuated by a fire alarm at 8 that morning and over the next 4 days we had to have new room keys made 6 times. Then to top it off on our last night we got awaken at 2 am by the fire alarm. We woke to hot wet carpets. We were meet in the hallway by steam and water pouring in from the ceiling feet from our door (the main hot water line had broken). We finally got back into our room at 6:30 am to get our belongings and put into a standard room (we had a suite) long enough to pack, shower and catch our flight.

Now many might say the water line was just bad luck, but remember the wet floor cone? Upon talking to others they said they reported a leak at that spot 2 days before and nothing was done. So to me it sounds like their negligence bit them in the butt that night.

The next morning as we were leaving we were once again greeted in the hallway by wet carpets, from a totally different wing. Another line had broken in the other wing! Upon check out they never apologized or offered any conpensation and after no sleep and a flight to go I didnt feel like arguing.

I sent emails to the Hotel directly and to Holiday Inn International. International sent me a reply apologizing. After 2 contacts from me and International saying they would forward my message to them, I never heard a word from the Kirkman Rd Holiday Inn.

3 weeks later we returned and except for a tub that obviously had not been cleaned the stay was uneventful, even though upon trips to the other wing I did run into two areas that once again had carpet that was soaked in water. I talked to a manager and told him of the fiasco and great flood from our visit before and the lack or communication or compensation from them and he told me he would check into it and offer conpensation. Upon check out nothing had been done. So once again I addressed the issue and was compensated one nights stay.

Considering we are Holiday Inn Priority Club members and we were staying in the largest suite they had, I expected much better serivce. I would expect better service if I were staying in the absolute cheapest room they had! I might have even let it all go with a sincere apology, but when it all added up, it was more than I can take.

In closing, there are many hotels in the Universal area, choose one other than this one until they clean up their act. They are renovating, but I dont know how much that will improve the situation. Also, dont believe the hype about being across from Universal. Yes they are across from the main gate but it is still a 1 mile walk (or more) to the park entrance and that is also across an 8 lane road.

7  Thank Speedracer61
Reviewed April 4, 2005

Stayed here for a week with my husband and two small children in Sept 2000 and was disappointed. Hotel looked good in lobby but room was a bit shabby.

• Stayed: September 2000
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Spring Hill fl
Reviewed April 3, 2005

My husband and I went to stay at this hotel for the weekend and were extremely dissapointed. We changed rooms three times because of mold and water damage. Finally they gave us a suite where it didnt smell and wasnt wet. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. What a waste of time and money.

• Stayed: October 2004