“Convenient but tired”

Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando
Ranked #171 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights on a trip to Halloween Horror Nights 2013. Chose this place primarily because of a good rate on a 2-bedroom/2-bathroom suite, as we met up with another couple, AND because the hotel is just across a big intersection from the Universal Studios entrance, so a 15-minute walk gets you to the Universal Studios "bus loop" where it is easy to get on a city bus (Lynx system) or on a shuttle or taxi as you prefer. The room was perfect but the hotel overall feels rather rundown. Breakfast is NOT included, but you are invited to a $8 buffet breakfast at the TGIFridays next door - can't comment on that, as we did not go.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank erxraydoc
D_Hall_Operations, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Thank you so much for sharing your experience while staying with us at the Fresh, Fun, and Affordable Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando®. We hope to welcome you back again very soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,166)

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Great location if spending a few days at Universal. The hotel does offer a shuttle that is shared between a few other hotels, but we decided to walk in order to get there a little before the parks opened. The walk took maybe 10 minutes and there were sidewalks a crosswalks the entire time. When we were tired after a long day at the park, we would take a taxi for around $5-$6. The hotel can call a taxi for you. We found the customer service to be great. The concierge gave us several coupons for restaurants and shops at the City Walk and answered all our questions.

The hotel is older and in need of a renovation, but the beds were comfortable and you can't beat the price and location! There is a TGI Fridays attached to the hotel. There are also several fast food places and a Walgreens right down the street.

Room Tip: If traveling with kids, you might want to get a suite on the top floor. Spacious, four beds, kitchen...
1  Thank MichelleDyer

Thank you so much for sharing your recent stay experience at the Fresh, Fun, and Affordable Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando®. We invite you to visit us again next time your travels take you to the Orlando area.

Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel because of its proximity to Universal and we wanted somewhere to stay at after going to Halloween Horror Nights. The location is perfect and it's only 5$ for a taxi to universal. Their shuttles to Universal only run during "the day." We were looking to head over to the park around 5:30 or 6:00 and was told the shuttle doesn't run that late.

The room was clean. The beds were not that comfortable. There was a full fridge, sink, microwave, and even a stove top in the room which may be beneficial to people staying multiple nights.

What I despised about this hotel was the service. People were not friendly here at all. The two things that irritated me the most were.. Being put in a smoking room when my reservation clearly shows a non-smoking room and the guy telling me that a smoking room was booked. I literally had to pull out my confirmation email and show him. Thank goodness a non-smoking room was still available for us to get instead because I would have left and stayed somewhere else. The second most irritating thing was being woken up by housekeeping at 9am. Checkout time is at 11am. So why in the world would housekeeping be knocking at our door at 9am?!? Waking all three of us who were staying in the room up. Why would they just not wait two more hours or check the computer to see if we checked out early before they tried to come in and clean the room?

I absolutely would never stay here again solely based on the service.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jennyb1115
D_Hall_Operations, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Thank you very much for choosing us during your recent stay. I wish to apologize for the unfortunate experience that you had at our hotel. This service experience is certainly not the standard that we are known for and is definitely an exception. I would like to speak with you in more detail. May I ask you to contact me directly at the hotel at your convenience.
David A Hall

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Hotel is right across the road from the road entrance to Universal and although you can walk to Universal the hotel run a free bus shuttle to the parks. It didn't run late when we were there but a cab only costs $4

Rooms were massive but then bathroom was small in comparison! Hotel joins onto TGI Fridays for breakfast buffet and dinner which was good.

Staff were helpful, would stay here again if going to Universal.

Room Tip: Get a high floor as the view is good, we were on top floor!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
D_Hall_Operations, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

We are happy that you enjoyed your accommodations and our staff at the Fresh, Fun, and Affordable Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando®. We hope to welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

We stayed overnight in the hotel for a little vacation while visiting Universal Studios. The clerk at the front desk was very friendly. She took the time to check our reward points that we haven't used for a long time. We were given a new card and because we haven't used the points for a long time, she upgraded our room. The room was nice and clean and the air conditioning worked very well. The hotel is very close to Universal Studios, we didn't walk but you may be able to although it is a busy street to cross. They also provide a shuttle from the hotel to the parks.We drove to Universal Studios and went back again later. Keep your receipt for the parking at the park and you don't have to pay to go back in. This is going to be our hotel that we use all the time while at the parks. It is in a great location to everything.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
D_Hall_Operations, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Thank you for the review! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Fresh, Fun, and Affordable Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando®. We take pride in our friendly service. We look forward to having you stay with us again next time you are in the Orlando area.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

We arrived on a Thursday evening. We were greeted by a courtesy staff (Jimmy the bellman was EXTREMELY nice and helpful - full of jokes too!!!) and we were quickly checked into a room (which was clean and VERY cold - perfect for us) and were on our way to Universal Horror nights. Upon our arrival back at our hotel room - about 2:00AM - I "thought" I left my cell phone in the cab. I was in panic-mode. I was begging the staff look at the video to find the cab that dropped us off and contact them. The staff quickly called for help at the cab company that I "thought" we rode back from the park (I wasn't sure if it was a yellow or white cab) They called for an officer to come to the hotel so I could fill out a report. (this scenario went on for over 30 minutes while my heart raced for fear of the loss of my phone as well as my drivers license and credit card- which was in an "all in one" case) well.....I went back to our room and FOUND my phone - thankfully. I had to comment on how nice and understanding the staff was in my panicked situation. I just knew our vacation would be ruined - how would I begin to get a new photo ID to get back on a plane. spend the day canceling credit cards and chasing a phone.....etc but it wasn't! and the staff was so eager to help me find my "lost" items! The rest of our stay was great. the hotel itself and the rooms were clean and neat. everyone is very nice and I would TOTALLY stay there again!! We initially chose Holiday Inn because of a 4 night offer with tickets to Universal, etc - but I would TOTALLY stay there again - JUST because I KNOW they care!! Beds very comfortable!! Location to Universal - across the street. $5 to take a cab. Free shuttle if you go during operational hours. ALSO -- we used the CBC transportation from that night on simply because if I dropped anything in the cab - I would know WHO brought us back to our room!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
D_Hall_Operations, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2013

Thank you for posting such great review of the Fresh, Fun, and Affordable Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando®. We are thrilled to learn your time with us was splendid, and are glad to hear you located your lost items. We look forward in welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed October 15, 2013

We, a family of 4, stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in September 2013. Our mission was to hit Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure for 3 days, and it was great. We had a one bedroom suite. The room was very spacious, there was a bedroom with two queen beds and a TV, a living room with a nice sofa, TV and a complete kitchenette. The hotel pool was quite deep, but as we can all swim, it didn't bother us. It was heated, so the water was comfortable. They also had a childrens pool, but the water was very cold as it was not heated (?). Breakfest was served at T.G.I Fridays, which is located in the hotel. Breakfest was ok, only 8$/adult, but that does not include drinks. Kids eat free, but you have to have a voucher from the front desk for that, and also again, does not include drinks. The breakfest buffé is as I said only ok, you'll find something to eat and service is good. The location of the hotel is great!! We walked every day to and from Universal, about 20-30 min, depends on how tired you are at the end of the day. We had booked a package including 3 day tickets to universal studios and islands of adventure for and a dining plan. with the dining plan we got to eat lunch, snacks and dinner at the parks. The package was a great deal. We loved it and it was GREAT value for the money we spent!!! We also did some great shopping at the premium outlets located on the other side of the highway, it's only a 5 minute car ride away :)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Anna M

Thank you for your comments! We are pleased to hear you and your family was comfortable and enjoyed our accommodations during your stay at the Fresh, Fun, and Affordable Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando®. We hope to welcome you back again very soon.