“Fall Break October 2013”

Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando
Ranked #175 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We arrived on a Thursday evening. We were greeted by a courtesy staff (Jimmy the bellman was EXTREMELY nice and helpful - full of jokes too!!!) and we were quickly checked into a room (which was clean and VERY cold - perfect for us) and were on our way to Universal Horror nights. Upon our arrival back at our hotel room - about 2:00AM - I "thought" I left my cell phone in the cab. I was in panic-mode. I was begging the staff look at the video to find the cab that dropped us off and contact them. The staff quickly called for help at the cab company that I "thought" we rode back from the park (I wasn't sure if it was a yellow or white cab) They called for an officer to come to the hotel so I could fill out a report. (this scenario went on for over 30 minutes while my heart raced for fear of the loss of my phone as well as my drivers license and credit card- which was in an "all in one" case) well.....I went back to our room and FOUND my phone - thankfully. I had to comment on how nice and understanding the staff was in my panicked situation. I just knew our vacation would be ruined - how would I begin to get a new photo ID to get back on a plane. spend the day canceling credit cards and chasing a phone.....etc but it wasn't! and the staff was so eager to help me find my "lost" items! The rest of our stay was great. the hotel itself and the rooms were clean and neat. everyone is very nice and I would TOTALLY stay there again!! We initially chose Holiday Inn because of a 4 night offer with tickets to Universal, etc - but I would TOTALLY stay there again - JUST because I KNOW they care!! Beds very comfortable!! Location to Universal - across the street. $5 to take a cab. Free shuttle if you go during operational hours. ALSO -- we used the CBC transportation from that night on simply because if I dropped anything in the cab - I would know WHO brought us back to our room!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
D_Hall_Operations, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2013

Thank you for posting such great review of the Fresh, Fun, and Affordable Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando®. We are thrilled to learn your time with us was splendid, and are glad to hear you located your lost items. We look forward in welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed October 15, 2013

We, a family of 4, stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in September 2013. Our mission was to hit Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure for 3 days, and it was great. We had a one bedroom suite. The room was very spacious, there was a bedroom with two queen beds and a TV, a living room with a nice sofa, TV and a complete kitchenette. The hotel pool was quite deep, but as we can all swim, it didn't bother us. It was heated, so the water was comfortable. They also had a childrens pool, but the water was very cold as it was not heated (?). Breakfest was served at T.G.I Fridays, which is located in the hotel. Breakfest was ok, only 8$/adult, but that does not include drinks. Kids eat free, but you have to have a voucher from the front desk for that, and also again, does not include drinks. The breakfest buffé is as I said only ok, you'll find something to eat and service is good. The location of the hotel is great!! We walked every day to and from Universal, about 20-30 min, depends on how tired you are at the end of the day. We had booked a package including 3 day tickets to universal studios and islands of adventure for and a dining plan. with the dining plan we got to eat lunch, snacks and dinner at the parks. The package was a great deal. We loved it and it was GREAT value for the money we spent!!! We also did some great shopping at the premium outlets located on the other side of the highway, it's only a 5 minute car ride away :)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Anna M

Thank you for your comments! We are pleased to hear you and your family was comfortable and enjoyed our accommodations during your stay at the Fresh, Fun, and Affordable Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando®. We hope to welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

This hotel is located right across from Universal Orlando. We arrived to the hotel and were quickly checked in and shown to our room for the night. Upon entering the room (which was nice enough looking) we discovered our AC did not work. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful as was the maintenance staff who quickly came to our aid. As the problem could not be corrected, we were given an upgraded suite for our visit. I do not believe the room was planned to be used, as the floor was clearly being updated so perhaps some of the issues we encountered were due to that. That being said, in our suite, which was nicely decorated and much larger than the room we booked, the fridge didn't work (like at all) and though the AC worked it was not especially cool. Also, the room had a "musty" smell upon entering. We soon discovered the reason for this smell as there was a MAJOR leak in one of the showers. We didn't notice it at first, but after 2 uses, the carpet flooring in the adjoining bedroom was soaked, and water was also leaking into the hallway. Maintenance did look at this issue, but said unless we wanted to move rooms again (which we did not) that it would need to be repaired once we were out. As we were only there for 2 nights, we just made do for the rest of our visit. Overall, I would stay here again if i were traveling to Universal for the location alone. The hotel was clean, the staff was friendly, parking was free as was the Wi-fi (which I found to be slow), but the rooms could definitely use some updating and apparently more regular maintenance checks.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
D_Hall_Operations, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Thanks for writing your feedback from your recent stay at the Fresh, Fun, and Affordable Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando®. . Please accept our sincere apologies for not exceeding your expectations. We look forward to having you as our guest again very soon.

Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

My friends and I were just here last weekend for a long weekend trip to islands of adventure. I just want to point out that the hotel needs some updating. The carpets shouldn't be brown, it makes the hallways look darker and kind of dirty. And since it's very humid in Orlando, it has that musty smell. Also, upon check in, we were given a smoking room despite requesting a non smoking room. The lady showed me the confirmation and our booking agent forgot to specify that. It's not the hotel's fault but the lady was not too nice about it either. We asked if there was any non-smoking available and all I got was that they were booked solid for the weekend and actually had no rooms for the other guests. We had no choice but to febreeze the room our entire stay. It's a good thing that we were only there to sleep.

Pros:
- wifi was fast
- room was spacious
- free parking

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank r0ch3lle

We offer our sincere apologies regarding the extraordinary challenges you had experienced and most of all that you did not fully enjoy your recent stay with us. Please know that the level of service we provide is taken very seriously. We regret that we did not meet your expectations. I remain hopeful you would provide us a second chance next time you a visit the Orlando area.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights. The staff was friendly and helpful. The first room, I received had an air conditioner problem and they relocated me right away in a larger room. Maintenance staff was very friendly. The room I got was a suite. The room was clean but out-dated. The room needs to be modernized. The overall hotel was clean but I think it is need of some remodeling. Having the TGI Friendlys attached is a plus. TGI also provides room service. Nice perk was the reserved parking spaces for club members. Front desk offered a bottle of water or a can of soda for being a club member.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
D_Hall_Operations, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

We appreciate you taking the time share your review at the Fresh, Fun, and Affordable Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando®, As an IHG Rewards Club member, you are one of our most important guests. We certainly appreciate the feedback as it is most important to us and helps us to ensure your future stays are more comfortable. We are glad you had a chance to enjoy TGIF Fridays, who offers great food and amazing drinks, just down a hallway from our main lobby. Looking forward to seeing you again soon next time your travels take you to the Orlando area.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Stayed for 2 weeks at the end of September. Spoke to Brenda before our trip as it was our 1st Anniversary together and she arranged for flowers and welcome basket to be in the room on arrival. A massive thank you for that.

The hotel offers shuttles to Disney, Sea World and even Busch Gardens. I was worried about the Disney busses from other feedback but I found the times good. 3 trips in the morning between 7:55 and 11am and 3 staggered returns with the last being 10:30, this gave us enough time for all the evening shows and even get to Downtown Disney.

15 mins walk from Universal meant we didn't bother with a coach there. The ticket office within the lobby organised I-Trolley and Halloween Horror Night tickets as well as providing us with lots of vouchers and information. All the staff were very friendly and the TGI attached is very convenient for dinner, although City Walks is 15 mins away, international drive a short trolley ride or other restaurants walking distance further up Kirkman Road. Pool was nice and open late and there were ample car parking.

There were improvements taking place whilst we were there, but these didn't interfere with our stay.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and I would use it again if we revisit Orlando.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mr_Nutty
D_Hall_Operations, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

We are happy that you enjoyed your accommodations and our staff at the Fresh, Fun, and Affordable Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando®. We hope to welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Stayed here 3 nights for our Universal Studios vacation and I have no complains. The hotel is attached to TGI Fridays. The room was clean and comfortable. Internet and parking is free. We were out and about day and night and we felt safe. The parking lot did get a bit full at night so we had to park at the restaurant next door. There is a shuttle that takes people from the hotel to universal studios. Make sure to get a pass in the lobby. We also walked from universal to the hotel which took approximately 15 minutes. If you decide to drive to universal, the parking fee is lower at night (great for night activities/dinner/clubbing).

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Solitaire078
D_Hall_Operations, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Thank you so much for sharing your recent stay experience at the Fresh, Fun, and Affordable Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando®. Please visit us again next time your travels take you to the Orlando area.