“A Great Place to Stay”

Ranked #164 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
Wisbech, United Kingdom
“A Great Place to Stay”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

There are a number of negative comments about this hotel, which from my experience seem unfounded.

Check-in was fast efficient and friendly. I had let the hotel know before my arrival that I was celebrating my birthday during my stay and they upgraded me to a one bedroom suit. Very kind of them because all I was expecting was maybe a card to acknowledge the passing of another year.

The suit itself was compact but very comfortable with a separate lounge area with kitchenette and a separate bedroom with two double beds. Between the two rooms were a washing room and small storage area and a bathroom. The bed had quality linens and comfortable pillows, as was the mattress. This ensured a good night’s sleep. The suit itself was clean and well serviced every day. You know some people complain about how rooms are serviced but take my advice, when you see the maids out in the corridor, take time to say hello and be friendly to them. You will reap the benefits as they will take extra care when servicing the rooms. The odd tip here and there also helps.

I did not use the hotels dining options. They have a TGF Fridays on site. I did however make use of the pool, which although was small, had nice warm water.

I chose this hotel because I was also spending time at Universal Studios. The hotel offer complementary transport to Universal. I used on the first day. The only problem is that it picks up guests from other hotels. The second day I decided to walk. The walk is about 15 minutes. I left at the same time as the complementary bus and arrived at universal at the same time as the bus.

In summary the service was excellent. All the staff I encountered was friendly and went out of their way to help. I have nothing to complain about and would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Universal area. If I come back to this area this will certainly be my first choice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
D_Hall_Operations, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Thank you for your comments! We’re thrilled that you had a great stay with us at the beautiful Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando®. We are happy to hear you had a great time. Making memorable stay experiences with our valued guests is what we do! We look forward in seeing you again next time you visit the Orlando area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Our family has stayed in many Holiday inns over the past ten years and we usually get a clean room, reasonably well maintained, without any frills. But we were disappointed with this particular Holiday Inn. The original room we were given smelled odd so we asked for another room. The second room also had a slight mildew like smell, but we were too tired to go to another hotel. The carpeting is old and needs to be replaced the bathroom is tiny and outdated (old tiles and some missing grout). Yes it's super close to Universal, but next time we will stay in a nicer hotel.

We also had just spent 3 days in the Marriot Grande Vista, which was much cleaner, had a full kitchen, balcony and dinning table for only $30 more per night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
D_Hall_Operations, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
We are disheartened to hear that your experience left you with a negative impression of our Hotel. We strive to provide each and every one of our valued guests with a positive, memorable stay experience, and we certainly failed to meet that for you. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the circumstances you encountered during your recent stay with us. We value our guest’s feedback and strive to ensure that our guest service exceeds our guest expectations.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed April 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for two nights prior to our cruise out of Cape Canaveral. I'm not sure how much the rates are normally since I paid with Ultimate Rewards points, but if they are as high as I'm assuming they might be, I would probably be rather disappointed.

The room itself was all right but awkwardly large (two full size beds when there was more than enough room for queens), although the bathroom was incredibly small. However, the hallways and other common areas aside from the lobby are extremely run down and really give the appearance of an old, cheap motel. I'm really not the least bit picky about decor and style normally, but the brown paint and stained carpets did not make me feel like I was on vacation. In their defense, they were apparently shampooing the carpet while we were there, which smelled awful, by the way.

Speaking of smelling awful, we used one of the staircases near an exterior door one time. I would not recommend doing so. I'm not exaggerating when I say it smelled like people routinely used it as a restroom and/or something had died in it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your recent stay experience. Comments like yours provide us with a valuable feedback in identifying areas that we can improve upon. We look forward in welcoming you back next time you visit the Orlando area.
Singapore
Reviewed April 22, 2013

First time to Orlando, fitting in some vacation between work. The aim is to hit the theme parks on my own. I booked on Universal Vacations because it was a one stop for airplane ticket, airport pickup & drop off, hotel accommodation and 2-day tickets to Universal. I selected Holiday Inn as the hotel of choice since it was opposite the Main Gate and there were a lot of good reviews on it compared to the Doubletree. (Although I am a Hilton Diamond member and status-less with Holiday Inn)

The hotel is in a need of maintenance or a renovation. Things are falling apart - as an example - door and cupboard knobs will come off when you pull them, the taps in the kitchen will actually put out of the kitchen counter top so you need to be careful. Also with regards to hot water - although it was hot but the pressure wasn't that strong.

The fitness center looked okay - not that great but usable. There is also a swimming pool which people used.

Service was excellent. All the staff I encountered were friendly and went out of their way to help. The check in lady upgraded me to a suite since the room reserved for me was smoking and I had an allergy to smoke. That was really appreciated. Everyone was nice and I have nothing to complain about.

Summary: For a short trip where you are hardly in the room, this is good enough. If I had my family here for a long trip, I may have to think hard on whether to select this.

PRO

- Would have been the hotel I would have selected anyway even if they weren't part of Universal Vacations.

- Location to Universal - directly opposite. Although you could walk in - I heard it was 20-30 minutes walk but still do-able. The shuttle is convenient. Just had to book it from the shop in the lobby but they opened early and more than enough time to get your tickets. It has a TGIF next to it. Cross the road and is a Doubletree but beyond it, is a small strip mall with some restaurants and a 24-hr Walgreen at the far end. Opposite the Walgreen is a McDonalds. Walgreen was great as there was a kitchenette in the room and I had a fridge to store cold food as well as basic kitchen utensils so could make my own breakfast and dinner.

CON

- Comfort. The bed was springy and noisy. Walls were not that thick so you could hear others around you. It didn't make for a comfortable night sleep but after spending a whole day at a theme park sometimes you just collapse from exhaustion.

- No safe in the room. You had to put your valuables in the safe deposit box in the management office. Just seem like an extra effort to do it.

- Distance to Disney. Although the shuttle was free, there were only 3 departures and only to Epcot Center. Similar with return, there were only 3 returns but timing was good - late in the evening. This is a shared shuttle, so it goes around other hotels picking up people. When I took it, I was the first and the last to be dropped off. In the morning (early) - it took an hour to get to Epcot and there were only 2 pick ups but the bus had to stop at a lot of hotels anyway. Return was nearly 40 mins with many drop offs. Taxi from Epcot was nearly USD 50 excluding tip !!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ultraelite_archer
D_Hall_Operations, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review for our future guests to read. We take pride in our friendly service here at the beautiful Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando®. Your comments will help our team continually improve to provide a better experience for our guests. We invite you back to stay with us again next time you are in the Orlando area.
Cresson, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Reception was nice and check-in fairly easy. Then, nobody was about to show our room or explain the funcionalities, not even taking the luggage. We were ok, the rooms were fine but TV did not work until we called service to check on it. Bathroom ok, small but funcional. Check out ok but if I was on business....too slow.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
D_Hall_Operations, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. The points you have described are being reviewed by our Management Team as each of us share a common interest to ensure each and every guest receives a most positive and memorable stay experience. We invite you back next time you visit the Orlando area.
Mendoza
Reviewed April 15, 2013

The worst Holiday Inn I have ever been. We arrived about noon, prior to our check in time. They told us to return at 4pm but we could leave our luggage there. We were absolutely tired after flying from Argentina for more than 18 hours. So when we returned at 4.30pm our bedroom was no ready yet. Once it was ready it took them about 30 extra minutes to give us our luggage back.
The smell of the carpets was awful.
We reserved an apartment with one room, so out children were supposed to sleep in the sofa. That was impossible because it was absolutely unconfortable. So they slept in same room with my wife and me.
The location is excelent, just accross from Universal Studios Parks.
The swimming pool had a good temperature but was to close to the parking lot and there were too many busses parked on the other side of the fence (tall enough) but still a bad view.
Could not earn Priority Club points because I made the reservation through a travel agent (my fault, I did not know that) but at the hotel they did not help me with that situation.
The bathroom was small and old (so is the whole facility) and was not so clean.
I don't recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Old building, no so clean, excellent location
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
We are disheartened to hear that your experience left you with a negative impression of our Hotel. We strive to provide each and every one of our valued guests with a positive, memorable stay experience, and we certainly failed to meet that for you. We appreciate you sharing your feedback, as it is an invaluable tool for identifying opportunities for improvement. We remain hopeful you will give us a second chance and stay with us again should your travels ever bring you to the Orlando area.
El Segundo, California
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Booked the room as part of a vacation package, the hotel is literally across the street from Universal. The suite size and comfort exceeded our expectations and there was plenty of room for the 5 of us. The Kitchenette was under stocked, the full size fridge cycled loudly which is a factor for person sleeping on fold out couch. The pool area much nicer than the photos. Maid service was spotty during our 5 night stay, made beds every other day, we had to ask for linens and towels daily, no replacement glasses or disposable cups provided after first day. Guest services and front desk staff only OK. Great location if you plan to walk to the park. We drove daily so next time we will choose a cheaper hotel further away. Overall the value was OK.

1 Thank Tad L
D_Hall_Operations, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
We are happy that you enjoyed your accommodations at the beautiful Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando®. We use your valuable feedback as opportunity to improve the quality of our Hotel experience for all. We hope to welcome you back again very soon.