“Beware of your belongings!!”

Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando
Ranked #167 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
Alberta
“Beware of your belongings!!”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed there at the end of January 2013. We stayed there after returning from a Disney Cruise. While we were enjoying our last day in Orlando, at Universal Studios, someone stole my daughter's iPod, all of our iPod and iPhone charging cables and chargers, my dive camera with all of my dive video and photos from our trip, and our headphones. After everything was said and done, I was out $1400 dollars!!!!! We didn't realize that our stuff was missing until we got to the airport to catch our plane. We realized that our carryon with all the above items had been rifles through and the items were missing! We called the hotel upon returning to Canada and were advised by the hotel security manager, Dave Hall, that he would investigate. He got back to us shortly after and said that he did a thorough investigation and determined that the only one in our room was cleaning staff. He stated that he spoke with cleaning staff who denied stealing our items. He stated that they had been employees for some time and had never had any previous complaints or concerns. I was told to contact Orlando police. Nothing was ever done and I was out $1400.00 with no recourse!!!!
I normally put valuables in the room safe, but there was no safe in the room. I have stayed at Holiday Inn's all over the place and never had any issues in the past.
I am VERY disappointed with the hotel and their lack of trying to rectify the problem. I wonder how many other people have had this happen and just never reported it here????
Ensure to take your valuables with you when you stay here!!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Canadacopper
D_Hall_Operations, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us this time while visiting the Orlando area. I am sorry to hear about the missing items you reported. This type of event is extremely rare as our employees fully understand we have a zero tolerance for employee theft, have multiple checks in place, and will automatically prosecute any employee should they ever remove an item from a guest room. It was recommended for you to contact Orlando Police so that a case number could be started, they in turn would take over the investigation, and we would cooperate fully. Contacting Orlando Police is something you must do yourself since you are the owner of the items. Please contact me at the Hotel to provide an update with your contact with Orlando Police, as we have not yet heard from them.

David A Hall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Uxbridge
Reviewed March 9, 2013

People who write a negative about this property need to remember it is just a Holiday Inn, somewhere to hang your hat at the end of the day, it is not a Ritz Carlton
Just returned from a weeks stay here and was very comfortable.
We arrived early last Saturday to find only one of our two booked rooms ready ( not their fault it was ours for getting there before check in )
I would like to thank Chris and the young lady he was training for being very gracious and helpful. Not all of the staff we dealt with over the week where as friendly but most where. It's too bad one or two bad apples spoil the bunch.
Chris offered us an upgrade to a suite and took the time to show us the unit before making our decision.
I think the rooms could be a little cleaner such as the carpeting and the ceramic tiles
The hallways smell musty. They should remove the carpet and install an easy to maintain ceramic ( would be noisy but cleaner) same goes for the rooms and use area rugs for warmth
My wife tells me the pool was lovely and warm, I never got the chance to check it out since the weather was a little cool for me to go swimming ( a bit of a whim I guess)
All and all a good stay with the price and location being number 1
I would be happy to provide the management with more details if they wish to discuss further.

Room Tip: Pick a room away from the elevator and on one of the upper floors to help reduce exterior noises
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Bocachica
D_Hall_Operations, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
We appreciate your kind words towards our location, friendly staff, and amenities at the beautiful Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando®. We are looking forward to seeing you again during your next visit to the Orlando area.
Cary, NC
Reviewed March 5, 2013

For a holiday inn this was excellent, and for the money we spent on hotwire or expedia it was an incredible value. I think we paid less than $50/night.
The only knock I had is that the shuttle runs basically three times at night and three times in the AM. I assumed when it said shuttle, and since they are literally hundreds of feet from universal, they would have shuttles every half hour like most other hotels do. Not the case. So if you want to go back to City Walk for Dinner you are either paying for parking, $7 for a taxi each way or walking, again. As tired as we were we still walked as waiting for the shuttle was an hour plus spread in between runs. Everything else was great and the room was well maintained and attached Fridays was good also. Great location with burger king, walgreen's etc. close by.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jim N
D_Hall_Operations, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Thank you for your comments! We are pleased to hear you enjoyed the accommodations during your stay at the beautiful Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando® We look forward to having you stay with us again next time you are in the Orlando area.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We were visiting Universal Studios Orlando for 2 days. This hotel is right across from the main gate. The room was very nice and spacious and the service we received was great. There is a TGIF attached where we ate all our breakfasts and dinners. Kids ate free. Breakfast buffet for adults was $7 or $8 and it was good. Dinners were great - we ordered the 2 for menu and for $10 had an appetizer and main meal. It was good value. There is a shuttle bus to take you to and from the park that is free but you need to gt a ticket the day before to ride it. Just go to concierge. Even though you are in front of the main gate it is about a 20 min walk to get into the park. So take the bus.

4 Thank Mozie1996
D_Hall_Operations, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for your kind words! We’re pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the beautiful Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando®, and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to our area.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed February 17 - February 23. Booked a 2 bedroom - 2 bath suite for my father and me. I asked for a room on the first floor or easily accessible by elevator as my father has difficulty walking and we brought his travel ECV with us. Requested a smoking room, which was not available on the first floor; but, the front desk accommodated my request without my even having to ask. Check in was quick and easy. The front desk staff was marvelous. The suite was on the first floor, the closest to the lobby, easily accessible with handicapped parking by the entrance, and very spacious. Dad could use his ECV and I could walk to Universal Studios. The reason I can't give the hotel an excellent rating is because the suite we were in was woefully in need of updating. It was looking worn and a bit sad. I don't know if other rooms have been updated, so I can only speak about the suite we were in. But, the beds were GREAT, it was very quiet and we did get great sleep, except for the night pipes on the 6th floor burst and water came all the way down to the first floor into our suite (minor - in the bathroom and the front closet - luckily we had nothing in the closet, so there was no damage). Agreed, things happen, and I do have to commend the staff on the way they handled it (at least for us). They offered to move us immediately, but we were fine (and moving dad would have been difficult at best). The staff was gracious. The next morning the fire alarms went off and the hotel was evacuated. The fire department determined that it was probably due to the flooding the previous night getting into the smoke detection system. I couldn't help but laugh. Even Dad had to chuckle. All in all, if the suite had been updated, I would have rated the hotel as very good to excellent. There is a Friday's attached to the hotel with interior access and the buffet was extensive and good. I find no fault with anything other than the need for updating. Holiday Inn - are you reading this? You have a great location, great staff, business center, spacious suites.... hopefully, you're planning on updating the first floor suites.

Room Tip: The suites are spacious but check to see if they have been updated.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
We appreciate you taking the time to write your review at the beautiful Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando®. We look forward to seeing you again soon next time your travels take you to the Orlando area.
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed February 19, 2013

The stay was good until the last night. The room was clean and updated. Except for the plumbing obviously. The last night a pipe busted in the room next door to us and no one called our room to alert us. So when we woke up in morning, we woke up to a flood. Guess what all of our luggage was ruined! And the manager did not care just said she would reimburse our last night to help with our inconvenience. So sad that after people get your money they do not care about you or any of our destroyed belongings.

5 Thank Lindsey J
D_Hall_Operations, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We sincerely apologize that we experienced a water pipe break which caused damage to your property; this is not a normal event that happens. Please contact me at the hotel so we may work together to reach a satisfactory resolution. We do care very much for all of our valued guests after they leave our doors, as we strive to ensure a positive memory so they will return and stay with us again next time they are in the Orlando area.

David Hall, Director of Operations
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed February 19, 2013

The hotel was recently renovated. The public areas and rooms are attractively decorated with modern furnishings and pleasant earthy green-tone color schemes.

The bed was very comfortable. Rooms come equipped with a microwave and small refrigerator. The bathroom, albeit a little small, comes with a granite vanity. (The microwave also sits atop a granite countertop.) A coffee maker, coffee, iron, and ironing board are provided.

A TGI Fridays is attached to the restaurant, and they offer an excellent breakfast buffet for $7.99. Actually, I was a little surprised how good it was considering it was so inexpensive and at a restaurant that typically doesn't serve breakfast. The french toast slices and biscuits were huge. Eggs are hard to mess up, but theirs were excellent. I'm not sure what they added to them.

The hotel is right across the street from the entrance to Universal. You can walk to the park or take the hotel's free shuttle. A taxi will cost just under $5 before tipping. The hotel also doesn't charge for parking, so this saved a significant amount of money.

The hotel also has a coin laundry. They also accept pets. They also have a guest relations desk where you can buy tickets to the area attractions. (You will pay less for Universal tickets here than on Universal's website.) Free Wi-Fi that worked well too.

The staff is very pleasant and helpful.

Got the room at an unbelievable Priceline bid.

Now, the bad, which is why I can't give it an excellent rating:

I had a problem at check-in with my room type. I had booked my room through Priceline about eight or nine months before and requested a king non-smoking. At check-in, I found my request had been noted on my account but not acted upon, and by then the hotel had filled up. The desk clerk did his best to correct the situation. I did not get my king bed, but I at least did get out of a smoking room, which was an absolute necessity. I'll give credit to the desk clerk for trying to help and being pleasant.

The A/C unit hummed very loudly.

During our stay, the boiler quit working, so we were without hot water for showers one morning.

I would also say that the walls in the corridors to the rooms and above the TV in the rooms are a little barren and need some artwork. The doors and door frames to the rooms are very plain and cheap looking, giving the hotel a warehouse or industrial feel. The TVs, while being flat screen, are on the small side, which adds to making that part of the wall look empty. However, none of that should make you consider not staying here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NoCleverCreation
Thank you for the review! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us at the beautiful Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando®. Additionally, thank you for your comments of areas we can improve upon. We look forward to having you stay with us again next time you are in the Orlando area