Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando
Ranked #166 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Calgary, Canada
“Family Vacay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

We were visiting Universal Studios Orlando for 2 days. This hotel is right across from the main gate. The room was very nice and spacious and the service we received was great. There is a TGIF attached where we ate all our breakfasts and dinners. Kids ate free. Breakfast buffet for adults was $7 or $8 and it was good. Dinners were great - we ordered the 2 for menu and for $10 had an appetizer and main meal. It was good value. There is a shuttle bus to take you to and from the park that is free but you need to gt a ticket the day before to ride it. Just go to concierge. Even though you are in front of the main gate it is about a 20 min walk to get into the park. So take the bus.

4 Thank Mozie1996
D_Hall_Operations, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for your kind words! We’re pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the beautiful Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando®, and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to our area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed February 17 - February 23. Booked a 2 bedroom - 2 bath suite for my father and me. I asked for a room on the first floor or easily accessible by elevator as my father has difficulty walking and we brought his travel ECV with us. Requested a smoking room, which was not available on the first floor; but, the front desk accommodated my request without my even having to ask. Check in was quick and easy. The front desk staff was marvelous. The suite was on the first floor, the closest to the lobby, easily accessible with handicapped parking by the entrance, and very spacious. Dad could use his ECV and I could walk to Universal Studios. The reason I can't give the hotel an excellent rating is because the suite we were in was woefully in need of updating. It was looking worn and a bit sad. I don't know if other rooms have been updated, so I can only speak about the suite we were in. But, the beds were GREAT, it was very quiet and we did get great sleep, except for the night pipes on the 6th floor burst and water came all the way down to the first floor into our suite (minor - in the bathroom and the front closet - luckily we had nothing in the closet, so there was no damage). Agreed, things happen, and I do have to commend the staff on the way they handled it (at least for us). They offered to move us immediately, but we were fine (and moving dad would have been difficult at best). The staff was gracious. The next morning the fire alarms went off and the hotel was evacuated. The fire department determined that it was probably due to the flooding the previous night getting into the smoke detection system. I couldn't help but laugh. Even Dad had to chuckle. All in all, if the suite had been updated, I would have rated the hotel as very good to excellent. There is a Friday's attached to the hotel with interior access and the buffet was extensive and good. I find no fault with anything other than the need for updating. Holiday Inn - are you reading this? You have a great location, great staff, business center, spacious suites.... hopefully, you're planning on updating the first floor suites.

Room Tip: The suites are spacious but check to see if they have been updated.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We appreciate you taking the time to write your review at the beautiful Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando®. We look forward to seeing you again soon next time your travels take you to the Orlando area.
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

The stay was good until the last night. The room was clean and updated. Except for the plumbing obviously. The last night a pipe busted in the room next door to us and no one called our room to alert us. So when we woke up in morning, we woke up to a flood. Guess what all of our luggage was ruined! And the manager did not care just said she would reimburse our last night to help with our inconvenience. So sad that after people get your money they do not care about you or any of our destroyed belongings.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Lindsey J
D_Hall_Operations, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We sincerely apologize that we experienced a water pipe break which caused damage to your property; this is not a normal event that happens. Please contact me at the hotel so we may work together to reach a satisfactory resolution. We do care very much for all of our valued guests after they leave our doors, as we strive to ensure a positive memory so they will return and stay with us again next time they are in the Orlando area.

David Hall, Director of Operations
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

The hotel was recently renovated. The public areas and rooms are attractively decorated with modern furnishings and pleasant earthy green-tone color schemes.

The bed was very comfortable. Rooms come equipped with a microwave and small refrigerator. The bathroom, albeit a little small, comes with a granite vanity. (The microwave also sits atop a granite countertop.) A coffee maker, coffee, iron, and ironing board are provided.

A TGI Fridays is attached to the restaurant, and they offer an excellent breakfast buffet for $7.99. Actually, I was a little surprised how good it was considering it was so inexpensive and at a restaurant that typically doesn't serve breakfast. The french toast slices and biscuits were huge. Eggs are hard to mess up, but theirs were excellent. I'm not sure what they added to them.

The hotel is right across the street from the entrance to Universal. You can walk to the park or take the hotel's free shuttle. A taxi will cost just under $5 before tipping. The hotel also doesn't charge for parking, so this saved a significant amount of money.

The hotel also has a coin laundry. They also accept pets. They also have a guest relations desk where you can buy tickets to the area attractions. (You will pay less for Universal tickets here than on Universal's website.) Free Wi-Fi that worked well too.

The staff is very pleasant and helpful.

Got the room at an unbelievable Priceline bid.

Now, the bad, which is why I can't give it an excellent rating:

I had a problem at check-in with my room type. I had booked my room through Priceline about eight or nine months before and requested a king non-smoking. At check-in, I found my request had been noted on my account but not acted upon, and by then the hotel had filled up. The desk clerk did his best to correct the situation. I did not get my king bed, but I at least did get out of a smoking room, which was an absolute necessity. I'll give credit to the desk clerk for trying to help and being pleasant.

The A/C unit hummed very loudly.

During our stay, the boiler quit working, so we were without hot water for showers one morning.

I would also say that the walls in the corridors to the rooms and above the TV in the rooms are a little barren and need some artwork. The doors and door frames to the rooms are very plain and cheap looking, giving the hotel a warehouse or industrial feel. The TVs, while being flat screen, are on the small side, which adds to making that part of the wall look empty. However, none of that should make you consider not staying here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NoCleverCreation
Thank you for the review! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us at the beautiful Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando®. Additionally, thank you for your comments of areas we can improve upon. We look forward to having you stay with us again next time you are in the Orlando area
Regina, SK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel having booked through Expedia. My friend and I were expecting a room with two double beds and a bathtub in the bathroom. Instead we got the wheelchair accessible room with one bed, and the wheelchair accessible bathroom (ie: locker room style bathroom). We did ask, but weren't able to switch rooms that night- so we dragged our tired selves to the attached TGIFridays, which was awesome. A pair of cocktails later and we didn't care that our room had no clock, 2 phones (both of which the "wake up call" button transfered to the restaurant, and one very comfortable if small bed.
The next morning we got tickets for the free return shuttle, stowed our baggage in the hotel's storage room, and couldn't have been happier about how easy that made it for us to enjoy our trip to the park.
I would stay again, but I might lower my expectations slightly next time.

Room Tip: The fitness centre and pool are on the main floor- this might be a plus for you, or a minus.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank badness59
Thank you for your comments. We apologize only the wheel chair accessible rooms were available during your stay. We have 134 suite rooms and 226 rooms with double beds. We hope to welcome you back the next time your travels take you to the Orlando area.
Brazil
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

I booked this hotel using hotwire.com. Very good rate. Rooms are large with free internet(!), microwave, fridge and coffee machine. Complimentary tea and coffee. No safe but I didn't ask the front desk for one.
We had a begining of fire in the hotel due to a careless smoker. The alarm was sound and the evacuaton proccess was quite easy. No damage at all. Only the room involved. So I must say this is a safe hotel.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank TFernandes
D_Hall_Operations, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing the great experience you had while staying with us at the beautiful Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando®. There was no fire, rather some smoke from a nearby brush fire set off an interior smoke detector.

We hope to welcome you back again very soon.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

I really loved this hotel. I secured a price under £35 per night on Hotwire.com - and was a little worried considering its existing Tripadvisor ranking ... but wow!

The check-in was flawless. Super quick, friendly, no nonsense .. The room.. Gigantic! And clean! With a microwave, fridge, access to a moderately sized fitness center, and a 15 minute walk from Universal Studios. It also has a TGIFriday's virtually (or actually, can't recall) attached to the hotel.

We stayed here only two nights, and used it as a base to see Kennedy Space Center, and Universal - and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank seputus
D_Hall_Operations, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your recent stay experience at the beautiful Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando®. Please visit us again next time your travels take you to the Orlando area.