“Nice place to stay”

Ranked #167 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
Russellville, Kentucky
“Nice place to stay”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

This hotel was very affordable and right across the street from Universal. You can easily walk to the parks, but the hotel also offers a free shuttle. The room had a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker.

We had an issue with our television the first night we were there; I called to report it, and there was a technician there within minutes of the call. He was able to fix the problem within an hour or so.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Charleston, SC
Reviewed November 15, 2012

The best part about this hotel was the location as it is right across the street from Universal. However if you are looking for other places to go, there are not many choices as far as non-chain restaurants/bars. You can tell they definitely updated but it still feels as though it is an old hotel with updates = not new. The rooms are very large so that was a nice surprise. Housekeeping was a little loud in the hallways and overall the renovations helped but you are still working with an older hotel and it shows. I would stay here again because of the convenience, but know what to expect.

1 Thank Marianne M
Montrose, Scotland.
Reviewed November 13, 2012

The location is great for Universal Studios as it is quicker to walk there than to drive. The hotel had a decent room but the standard of housekeeping was poor as towels, shampoo, coffee and soap were not being routinely replaced. Every day we stayed here we had to call for replacements. The biggest problem we had was when a large charity group arrived (10 bus loads) and the hotel became chaos, getting to use a lift was a big problem as they were constantly in use. My partner had to walk up the fire escape to the sixth floor on one occasion. I feel strongly that the hotel should have warned us when we checked in that this group was arriving and offered alternative accommodation. I mean to harm or disrespect to this charity, but we were on holiday too. The hotel obviously knew of the impending chaos as they left us a letter asking for us to be patient and allow exclusive access to the pool for this group at specified times. If you are thinking of staying here you might want to check if large charity groups will also be staying. The lift problem was also worsened by one of the lifts being out of action. Overall very poor for a holiday Inn.

Room Tip: A low floor to avoid lift problems.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HumptyNumpty
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear HumptyNumpty,

Thank you for your review and your recent stay with us. I am pleased you liked the location of our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I’m disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. Please accept our deepest apologies for the issues you had encountered with the housekeeping service and that you were not able to fully enjoy your stay with us. Your comments are being reviewed by the hotel's management and appropriate action will be taken.

Thank you again for your comments and we all hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again on a future visit.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Sandy, Utah
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We ended up here through priceline at a good price and were really happy with our stay. The rooms feel new and clean, and it's nearly as close to Universal as Universal's parking lot. They also have a shuttle, though the times are limited. This place is a great value, particularly if you're headed to Universal.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We chose this hotel on the basis of it's proximity to Universal Parks. A reasonable 15-20 minute walk on pleasant paths with free parking at the hotel. Paid with Prioity Club points and received an upgrade to a suite, which was huge. Our son loved having his own enormous room with two beds to choose from along with his own bathroom. Lounge / dining area massive and a fully equipped kitchen. Free WiFi, a large TV in every room, and everything clean & tidy. No evidence of any bugs etc as reported elsewhere. Useful on site self serve laundry. Staff very friendly and helpful. Did not try the pool as Hurricane Sandy dropped by and we had rain. Agree with other reviewers that TGI Friday's linked next door offers good value breakfast and decent Dinner. We ate there both nights as CityWalk was heaving and wait times were too long. A short stay but a pleasant one and we would use this hotel again for Universal Parks.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
New Glasgow, Canada
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I am a sales professional associated with the hotel industry and had been staying at this property for a week attending a course. The evening before my departure I made my way to the business centre to print my boarding pass, there were several computers available and one that was for complimentary boarding pass printing only. I was getting an error message on that one so returned to my room to get my phone to confirm my reference information. I then moved to another computer to print from my email but needed to purchase "time" and had to go back to my room for my wallet, I went back to the business centre, didn't see the re-loadable cards and went to the front desk for assistance. I was getting a little weary of the run-around and looked visibly agitated (mostly because I was practically in my pyjamas, wearing no make-up and didn't want to be making a nuisance of myself) and the Manager on Duty Hamid noticed that I seemed less than thrilled. He followed me down the hall and invited me to return to the front desk so that I could use their computer to complete my task.

It seems like a small thing but I was thoroughly impressed, both with the anticipation of my needs and the gesture of goodwill. He had no idea that I was a Gold Priority Club member and travel to different hotels on a regular basis, not to mention that I was a member of the hospitality industry. Big thanks to Hamid and the fantastic staff at this property for making my stay an enjoyable one.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank EdiePonsacle
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

The toliet had a fur ring around the bottom. No AC in the lobby shop or game room. Front desk staff could be friendlier.
The pool was average and no hot tub. No breakfast which really was not a nice surprise. I recommend staying at another holiday inn in the area.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank American-Germany
Dear American-Germany,

Thank you for leaving a review. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and services are superior and we strive to be the best hotel around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. I'm sorry you were not fully satisfied with the hotel staff services, facilities, room amenities and breakfast the hotel has to offer. I have taken note of this issue and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. I do hope you decide to give us another chance for a future stay.

Zelyn N