“Short stopover for Universal Parks”

Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando
Ranked #166 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Short stopover for Universal Parks”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

We chose this hotel on the basis of it's proximity to Universal Parks. A reasonable 15-20 minute walk on pleasant paths with free parking at the hotel. Paid with Prioity Club points and received an upgrade to a suite, which was huge. Our son loved having his own enormous room with two beds to choose from along with his own bathroom. Lounge / dining area massive and a fully equipped kitchen. Free WiFi, a large TV in every room, and everything clean & tidy. No evidence of any bugs etc as reported elsewhere. Useful on site self serve laundry. Staff very friendly and helpful. Did not try the pool as Hurricane Sandy dropped by and we had rain. Agree with other reviewers that TGI Friday's linked next door offers good value breakfast and decent Dinner. We ate there both nights as CityWalk was heaving and wait times were too long. A short stay but a pleasant one and we would use this hotel again for Universal Parks.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New Glasgow, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

I am a sales professional associated with the hotel industry and had been staying at this property for a week attending a course. The evening before my departure I made my way to the business centre to print my boarding pass, there were several computers available and one that was for complimentary boarding pass printing only. I was getting an error message on that one so returned to my room to get my phone to confirm my reference information. I then moved to another computer to print from my email but needed to purchase "time" and had to go back to my room for my wallet, I went back to the business centre, didn't see the re-loadable cards and went to the front desk for assistance. I was getting a little weary of the run-around and looked visibly agitated (mostly because I was practically in my pyjamas, wearing no make-up and didn't want to be making a nuisance of myself) and the Manager on Duty Hamid noticed that I seemed less than thrilled. He followed me down the hall and invited me to return to the front desk so that I could use their computer to complete my task.

It seems like a small thing but I was thoroughly impressed, both with the anticipation of my needs and the gesture of goodwill. He had no idea that I was a Gold Priority Club member and travel to different hotels on a regular basis, not to mention that I was a member of the hospitality industry. Big thanks to Hamid and the fantastic staff at this property for making my stay an enjoyable one.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank EdiePonsacle
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

The toliet had a fur ring around the bottom. No AC in the lobby shop or game room. Front desk staff could be friendlier.
The pool was average and no hot tub. No breakfast which really was not a nice surprise. I recommend staying at another holiday inn in the area.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank American-Germany
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear American-Germany,

Thank you for leaving a review. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and services are superior and we strive to be the best hotel around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. I'm sorry you were not fully satisfied with the hotel staff services, facilities, room amenities and breakfast the hotel has to offer. I have taken note of this issue and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. I do hope you decide to give us another chance for a future stay.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHG Care
Southport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

We hate the faf of taxis and those silly shuttle buses that end up taking an hour to get you to the parks. Whilst you can still use them from this hotel (as we did for seaworld) the best thing about this hotel was being able to walk to universal studios. It's about 15 minutes but all on proper paths etc. as a bigger family we really loved the flexibility this gave us, we could come and go as we pleased to the parks without the stress of taxis (I'm a stickler for the kids always having proper kids seats and this always seems to be a real problem) and we never have our own car as we don't fancy driving on the other side if the rd.
we certainly don't mind walking and found it so convenient.
The hotel itself has a nice pool and the rooms are a good size and the renovation means they are really nice and modern. We paid half what it would have cost to stay at one of the onsite universal hotels and got the same location benefits and still a really nice hotel. As long as the price stays reasonable we will be back!!

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank emj252
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

We have just returned from Orlando - literally - having been held up by Hurricane/Monster Storm Sandy.

When we first booked this hotel, we looked on here and were worried about some of the comments that had been made such as rude and unhelpful staff, bed bugs, lack to towels etc. Now that we have stayed at the hotel we have nothing but good things to say. Our room was on the 10th floor, it had 2 double beds in, chairs, desk, chest of draws and of course a huge TV. The bathroom was spotless, with PLENTY of towels, which were replenished every day. The room was clean and the beds were made everyday. NO BEDBUGS either! Check-in was painless and quick which was a bonus seeing as we had been travelling for over 24 hours in total.

We can't thank the staff enough when we had to extend our stay for 1 night due to Hurricane Sandy hitting the East Coast, we were due to fly via Washington but our flights were cancelled. There was no problem with extending the room for the extra night and they gave us a discounted rate.

We can highly recommend the breakfast buffet at TGI's - which is attached to the hotel - $7.99 all you can eat.

Universal is about a 10/15min walk from the hotel. Depsite being told it was not safe to walk and you had to cross the multi-lane highway, we can categorically say that its nonsense!! Yes you have to cross about 8 lanes of traffic but there are crossings - just like in the UK - you press the button and wait for the lights. As for not safe to walk, again nonsense, its well lit and there is high footfall. We felt perfectly safe.

We would highly recommend Keke's restaurant on Conroy Road for breakfast. They are so friendly and the food was delicious and very reasonable.

If you are pre-booking your car rental from the UK before you go, please check your details/small print. We booked via another well know holiday website and paid for our rental. They stated that you couldn't use debit, pre-paid or virtual cards only credit cards. This is not the case. Also we thought we had paid and all that was required was for us to pick our rental up. Not the case! They will try and sell you all sorts of different insurances and add on's, just keep saying no, what we didn't know about was that you are asked to pay for your fuel up front. So you've potentially been travelling for the best part of 12 hours and you think you have paid for everything only to be asked for $120. The other problem we had was that we paid for a mid-sized car, when we got to the rental pick up there were no mid-sizes left so we were told to just take something else. We used Dollar, and I have to say we would not use them again. When we called to say that we would need to car for an extra day because of our flights being cancelled due to Hurricane Sandy, the reply was "that's no concern of ours" then they tried to charge us £108 + tax for the extra day when the paperwork we had stated their daily rate as $34. Suffice to say we will not be using Dollar again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jayne38
Brooklyn, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

We had a trip to Universal for Halloween Horror Nights 22, comfortable accommodations and very close to Universal. If you use priceline I'd suggest paying more to get the room you want and not taking the gamble and ending up in a smoking room like we did. We got a smoking suite which was great and had a fridge/microwave etc. but our clothes ended up a little stinky. We arrived early and couldn't check in but they took out bags for us while we went off to explore the parks

Breakfast buffet at TGIs was $8 and did the trick. Also a short walk from the hotel = walgreens, liquor store, starbucks, golden corral (cheaper breakfast than TGIs), orlando ale house (cheap and awesome sports bar), kobe japanese steak house. You don't need a rental car if you're only visiting Universal, but it's maybe worth getting one as the taxi fare from the airport is $50 and it's not really that far!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Ross L
USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

If you're planning on spending any time at Universal at all this is a great hotel option. At a third of the cost of staying within the resort but still a short 15 minute walk away (or free shuttle) this place is the bees knees. We basically chose it for those reasons and the free Wi-Fi.
Check in was quick, and not very friendly nor informative, and it wasn't even busy! We got hooked into talking to the Holiday vacations person for a few minutes promising us $90 and only a bit of our time. Avoid the temptation!
You have to make reservations for the shuttle into Universal ahead of time which is no big deal but the shuttle leaves really early and doesn't go directly to Universal in the morning.
The room itself was good, it had a fridge, microwave, coffee maker (with coffee & tea) and was clean. It was also quiet which was welcome.
It was nice having the Fridays attached for the breakfast buffet before the park opened.
My biggest hang-up with the hotel was I left something in the room after we checked out. I noticed in less than 2 hours and called right away. It took all day for me to get a real response back from security. For something that could/should have been solved quickly and easily I was not impressed. I'm just happy it's being returned.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple