“Value for money and convenience”

Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando
Ranked #167 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
Plano, Texas
“Value for money and convenience”
Reviewed March 15, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 5 night during spring break. The facility is clean. But TGIF is the only food place closeby. Wish we had breakfast option in the hotel itself. The shuttle to the attractions get full quickly and the Guest services dont mention that you need a ticket to board the shuttle. Sometimes when you come at 8 the 10 shuttle is even full. But we did walk to universal couple of times which was easy trek. Overall well worth the money for clean safe convenient location. But it's bare bone no frills.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank VijiK_12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed March 14, 2012

Stayed at 3 3-star hotels that I got on Priceline on my trip over the past week, all close to Universal, this was my favorite. The room has free wireless internet and free parking. The hallways smell like smoke somewhat and there were ashtrays near the elevators and made me worried about the room but it didn't smell like smoke at all. Room seemed newly refurbished and everything was clean in the room, didn't ask so don't know how recently. There was also a mini-fridge which was nice.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Stayed here recently for an event at Universal. Technically this hotel is right across the street, but you wouldn't want to walk all the way to the parks from here, and there is not shuttle (which is pretty weird).

There is a TGI Friday's attached, which is pretty lackluster.

The hotel room was nice, pool is standard motel fare as are the grounds to don't think you will be relaxing at a resort.

Staff, not so much. No pleasantries, no attempt to enhance the stay, no directions on how to find your room or where to park, the front desk gal just took my cc and then handed over the keys.

Room Tip: There is nothing to view, so just try to get a room not facing the main road (Kirkman).
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, ihgcare at Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando, responded to this review, April 1, 2012
Dear Captain_Deguello,

Thank you for advising us of your dissatisfaction towards our Front Desk service. Please allow me to apologize for any inconvenience or negative impression this might have caused you. I understand why you are disappointed, let me assure you that this is not our usual level of service. Our management has taken note of this and proper action has been taken to ensure that situations of this nature will not reoccur in the future. Again, thank you for all your valuable comments which help us identify areas of improvement. We take this opportunity to send you our best wishes.

Brenda J.
IHGCare
Reviewed March 12, 2012

first of all , it is not a short walk to universal. My family is very active and fit and this is quite the walk. There is a super busy freeway you have to cross as well. Not safe and there is not a shuttle to take you. By far they should not call themselves a resort....I found black hair in my shower in the room. I let it slide. The rest of the room is clean. Beds were comfy but if you are tall or even a bit large forget it bc these beds are SMALL. Its like sleeping in a super twin. My husband I could not sleep together. I slept with my 11 year old and it was still tight. Bathrooms were super small too. There was not a vanity. Ok so TGIF is connected to hotel . Wow, THATS IT! Bring snacks bc theres nothing else for miles unless you eat at universal.
Other than this the pool was heated but the hotel is dated. They tried covering it up with fresh paint but you can still tell. I wouldnt stay here again. As a matter of fact I think Universal was way over rated. Should have went to Disney. The lines were soooooo long. The line for drinks even longer. Crazy. Next time we'll be relaxing in a real resort with better ammenities ....

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Sandyvla
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
Dear Sandyvla,

I am so sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us.
The main gate to Universal Studios is actually adjacent to the hotel.
If this is to much of a walk for you, or you have things to carry.
We do offer a free shuttle service to Universal Studios, Sea World, Wet and Wild
and Island of Adventures. However I do thank you for your comments and for staying with
us. Best wishes.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Woodbridge, New Jersey
Reviewed March 11, 2012

I surprised my boyfriend with a trip to Orlando for his birthday this past week (3/6 to 3/10). I booked this hotel mainly for the distance to the parks, and the rate available. I am a hotel employee back home so my expectations are very high when I travel, and I honestly did not expect much from this hotel prior to arriving. I was so wrong.

The Holiday Inn has recently been renovated, so all the rooms look as if they were brand new again. The bed is SO comfortable, it honestly was very hard to leave in the morning to go to the park. The staff was so nice and accommodating; sometimes when a hotel is full, people staying on lower rates get stuck next to A/C units, icemakers, or old furniture. This was not the case for us, and I was so happy.

Anyone who complains about the walk to the park from this hotel is CRAZY. Yes, you have to cross an intersection, which has a large crosswalk to assist pedestrians. Yes, you have to walk about a mile to get to the hotel, down a gorgeous path next to the water completely surrounded by flowering plants. This hotel is seriously the closest you can get without spending an arm and a leg at the Hard Rock Hotel or the Loews located on site.

The only thing I could even complain about (and this was maybe just a miscommunication) but I was given the impression when I booked that the shuttle ran throughout the day to get you to and from the park. It runs 3 times in the AM right at the park's opening, and 3 times at night after park close. This was technically the park's off season, so the hours were slightly shorter, maybe that was the reason for the shuttle's hours. It really did not impede our stay in any way as it gave us more exercise and allowed us to enjoy our mornings without having to rush to make the 9 Am shuttle.

One tip for anyone staying- the Friday's next door has a breakfast buffet for 8 per person, which is okay, but there is a really great bakery right when you get into Islands of Adventure (Crescent Moon I think it's called?) where you can get fresh baked breakfast at about half the cost. Also, go to Confisco restaurant at least once during your stay- it is AMAZING.

Room Tip: We stayed in 1020, which had a great view and was about midway down the hall. Also, their pool is s...
4 Thank Lauren F
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed March 11, 2012

My husband and I chose this hotel due to the proximity to the gates of Universal Studios. We couldn't be happier with our choice! We were able to leave our car parked at the hotel (for free) and do the 15 minute walk each morning to the parks. Having the TGIFriday's down below also came in handy for a quick bite to eat in the morning or at night. The room was very comfortable and clean, although the wifi was a bit spotty, especially in the evening hours (maybe due to a large amount of users?). We would definitely recommend staying here!

1 Thank hfritzinger
UK
Reviewed March 11, 2012

We arrived in Orlando (having driven up from Key Largo) earlier than expected and were pleased to be able to check-in early, We were even more pleased to be upgraded from a double room to a one-bedroom suite! (Priority Club member). Even for just two of us this was a huge bonus: certainly saved all those 'discussions' about who gets the comfy chair and who has to sprawl on the bed!

Both rooms were spacious and clean. Some of the wooden furniture looked a little tired but we had no issues with sticky/broken drawers or wobbly handles. Housekeeping was good, although when we got back to the hotel at 6.00pm after our first day at Universal,the room had not been done. Frankly, we weren't bothered (still plenty of fresh towels) although we did phone housekeeping because we wanted more coffee for the next morning. Within 10 minutes a housekeeper had arrived and offered to do the room there and then if we wanted. We didn't, but did get lots of coffee sachets for the next morning - and continued to get plenty provided for the rest of our stay. If I was going to nitpick about this it would be to ask why the hotel doesn't provide a coffee maker that can make two cups at once.

Other reviewers have done a good job of describing the rooms & providing photos, so I won't repeat that. The hotel offers a free shuttle to and from Universal (need to book and times are limited) but it's only a 10 minute walk: I swear it takes nearly as long to cross the roads as it does to walk there! We were very tired at the end of one day and got a cab from Universal to the hotel (which only cost $5) rather than walk or wait for the shuttle.

There's a TGIFriday attached to the hotel where you can get an all-you-can-eat breakfast for (IIRC) $8 which we didn't use so can't comment on, but we did eat there in the evening and also used their Room Service. This has a reduced menu available, but still broad enough to suit most tastes and was excellent at good prices. Certainly better value than the in-house room service offered at many 4- and 5-star hotels!

We didn't use the pool area at all, so can't comment on that. All the staff we spoke to were courteous and helpful - with a special mention for Marlene on Guest Services whose sense of humour and cheery disposition was fantastic :)

Overall, I give this hotel 5 stars for spacious, clean & comfy rooms; convenience (the sole purpose of this stay was to visit Universal Studios) and value for money.

1 Thank welshwench