“Good quality, friendly staff, expensive extras, but noisy.”

Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort
Ranked #207 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed February 8, 2014

We had adjoining rooms 1304 and 1306 on the third floor overlooking the pool so great outlook. Great quality room, bed and bed linen. All well until we tried to sleep. Noisy. Turned off air con. Better. Turned off fridge. Better still. Occasional noise from the elevator and ice machine just down the hall. But main noise seemed to be from the pool machinery down below and between our block and the next. Better the second night.

• Stayed: February 2014
thepoliteone, General Manager at Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Dear Mike B.

Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor posting. I appreciate your comments both positive and constructive. I will certainly review your comments with the team and I am sure that we can utilize to improve our service.

If ever your travles take you back to Orlando we would love to be of service to you again.

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort

Reviewed February 3, 2014

i stayed at this hotel for 3 days and 3 nights and the mattress in the room was unbelievably comfortable. the pool jacuzzi and the music were so tranquil but most of all the customer service was the best ive ever had and i stay at alot of hotels. overall our stay at this resort was outstanding.

Room Tip: get a room facing swimming pool if possible.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ernie b
thepoliteone, General Manager at Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Dear ernie b,

Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor posting. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. If ever your travels take you back to orlando we would love to be of service to you again.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

This was not great, nor was it terrible. Motel-style rooms was NOT what we were expecting when we booked this "resort!" This property is listed as a "4 star" resort on Priceline; I cannot imagine why that is. There does appear to be one building of rooms with interior entry but I am not sure. I won't complain about the resort fee; almost every area hotel/resort has one, and at least with this one you get free parking, free internet (which worked great for us), bottled water and the pool areas which is far more than what you get at some other properties. However, had I known that it was motel style, we would never have booked this stay.

Pros: Very comfortable beds
Close proximity to Downtown Disney, many restaurants and a grocery store
My kids loved the bunk beds in our room
Friendly staff
Nice looking pool area

Cons: Poor exterior lighting-I felt unsafe and uncomfortable
Misleading designation as "resort" when it is pretty much a motel
While the bathroom was clean, the tub was dingy & stained and I felt uncomfortable giving the kids a bath in it
Poor water pressure in shower
We had sugar ants in our room

Probably the most significant thing was that I felt so uncomfortable during our stay. In fact, we had booked and paid for two nights and we actually went home one night early due in large part to my discomfort. As someone who frequents the area and has stayed in many area hotels, we enjoyed our stay at pretty much every other property more than we did this one.

2  Thank hopesicle

Dear hopesicle,

Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor posting. I appreciate your comments both positive and constructive. I will certainly review your comments with the team and I am sure that we can improve.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

I was expecting a Sheraton to be significantly nicer. The hotel rooms themselves were updated and nice with large flat screen TV, comfortable beds and bedding, etc. The hallways looked run-down. The elevator was old and slow. I didn't really use the amenities since I was there on business, but I was told when I checked in that there was a $20 per day "resort fee". I really hate it when they do that. It should be included in the price of the hotel room considering there is no option to not pay it if you choose not to use the amenities. Free parking and wifi perhaps made up for this.

The location was good as it was very close to Disney and lots of plazas with family-friendly restaurants and such.

I pricelined this hotel with "name your own price", and I think it was $130 per night. With the resort fee, it came out to $150 per night. I think that's an okay price for this place, but I would not want to pay more than that.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank takedown8

Dear takedown8,

Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor posting. I appreciate your comments both positive and constructive. I will be reviewing your comments with the team and I am sure we will improve in the future.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

My family and I stayed at this resort January 20 and 21, 2014.

* Rooms: 4 out of 5
The resort is a remodeled dated hotel compound that is setup motel style (room doors face to the outside, although our family suite stretched the entire width of the building - meaning we had a balcony on the other side over looking the pool compound). With that being said, the remodel was beautiful and the family suite we stayed in with the bunk beds was VERY spacious and well appointed. Everything was clean and well maintained, although the bunk beds were a bit wobbly in our room (they should have anchored them to the wall or ceiling). Like all Sheraton and Westin properties - the beds were extremely comfortable.

* Pool Compound: 5 out of 5
This is where the resort really shines - the pool area is fantastic with a number of swimming areas, and activities to include a water slide, basketball, toddler areas, and handicap access. The yellow umbrellas and cabanas create a pleasing look the area. I did not notice attendants coming to take your drink order, but I did not lounge often so I may have just missed it.

* Hotel Extras: 3 out of 5
The hotel charges you an additional resort fee of $16.95 daily on top of your standard room rate. Honestly, I am not sure what you get for this additional fee - other than the large pool. My understanding is that provided wireless internet (which should be free in my opinion), two bottles of water, the fitness center, and an arcade....all things that do not warrant an additional cost in my opinion. With that said, the fitness center was large and very well appointed. They had new looking and well maintained life-fitness equipment, a large variety of weight machines, and a dumbbell station going up to I believe 120 lbs. We were very pleased with the fitness center, but did not feel it was worth an additional fee of $20 daily.

Hotel Location / Transportation Costs: 1 out of 5
First off, this hotel provides NO Shuttle Service to and from the airport (that is $50 each way). With that said, the hotel is right outside of the main gate to Walt Disney World, which was one of the reasons we booked it. Keep in mind this is a VERY busy street, which can be noisy but also allows you walking distance to a huge number of restaurants, convenience stores, and gift shops which was very nice. We never ate at the hotel, but walked to a nearby I-HOP for breakfast etc. What the hotel does do is GOUGE you on transportation costs - particularly to Walt Disney World. Instead of contracting to the main transportation company in the area (MEARS, who are THE metered Checkered and Yellow Taxis and also run DISNEY MAGICAL EXPRESS AND DISNEY CRUISE LINE BUS services) they contract to a non-metered taxi service for the hotel which charges you 3X the rate of the metered cab companies. Although this property is right outside the main gate of Disney, it is still 2 miles to Downtown Disney (the nearest Disney property that you could catch the free Disney bus service). As a result you will likely need to use their transportation. In our case, we requested a cab from the concierge and they had a black van pull up which they had staged in their property. My first concern in getting in the vehicle was there was the meter was disabled and taped up with electrical tape. When I asked the bellman he said this was the transportation company the Sheraton used. Since we are Starwood Preferred guests, I blindly trusted this would work out. BIG MISTAKE: They charged $25 dollars to go 2 miles to Downtown Disney. When we took a metered (Mears) taxi back, it cost $8.91. On return I spoke with the hotel manager, and basically was brushed off saying this is the service our hotel uses. When I wanted to go to Dinner at one of the Disney resorts, I requested a MEARS taxi at the front desk, and they still pulled around a black Cadillac Escalade that was unmetered. When I asked how much to go to Disney resort they pulled up a sheet of paper and quoted me a rate of $35 Dollars! I waived off the service and used my smart phone to call MEARS taxi directly. They came to the hotel, loaded up my family of 5 and took us to dinner for $11. BOTTOM LINE: This hotel subsidizes their profits by contracting with non-metered cab companies - STAY AWAY from anything they call a taxi and contact MEARS directly at: 407-422-4561.

IN SUMMARY: Although I am a Starwood Preferred guest, I would NEVER stay at this property again due to the resort fee and hidden surcharges the hotel puts on transportation. These EXTRA fees make me feel that the property is attempting to extort me at every turn, and there are only the features of the resort I used. Beyond what I feel is disingenuos charging practices, when you add the total cost up - it is cheaper to simply stay on Disney Property if that is your destination.

Room Tip: The family suites are worth the extra expense, although the hotel may upgrade you for free at the de...
2  Thank Brian H
thepoliteone, General Manager at Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Dear Brian H,

Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor posting. I appreciate you comments both positive and constructive. I will certainly look into the your comments regarding transportation as their fees are to mirrow the fees of the local taxi companies.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

Stayed for one day/night. Check-in was nice, Friendly and painless. I do always hate the way the front desk staff has to "sell you" the "resort fee". $20.00 for Wireless and two bottles of water. Whatever? The place is older but with a new facelift. Very well done. The location is perfect if you like to walk around to different restaurants and bars. The pool is well done and great for families. I ate lunch at the in house 27 Palms. The food was good and reasonable. Staff there very attentive. I would say that it doesn't feel like a Sheraton property. I'm not sure why, but it doesn't. However I do admit that I would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank ffmunson

Dear ffmunson,

Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor posting. I appreciate you comments and will certainly review them with the staff. If ever your travels take you back to Orlando we would love to be of service to you again.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

This hotel has a modern, more "self serve" feel than the usual idea one has of a Sheraton. It was obviously remodeled recently. The lobby is very clean, and has a streamlined reception area and a small store with drinks and chips, snacks and ice cream. I also saw the hotel restaurant (?) on that floor but did not go in. The rooms are larger than some others in the Orlando area and each one has a small balcony. The pool area also has jacuzzis and even a BBQ area with seating around it; it looks like a great place to enjoy during the summer (we went in January and it was too cold for that). The elevators take a little time and could be frustrating if you are in a hurry but, otherwise, it was a good stay. It is a comfortable place - you won't feel luxurious and pampered with service but it is updated and practical and clean! Self parking is free, although it gets a bit limited in the later evenings when everyone is home from the parks. Valet is only $10 a night, which is extremely reasonable.
There are lots and lots of restaurants within walking distance. It is surrounded by many options, from Argentinian steak houses to Denny's and IHOP and Macaroni Grille... It only takes about 10-15 minutes by car to get to Walt Disney World. However, you have to take I4 and may get rush hour traffic in the morning and evening.
Beware if you are booking this through a website like Groupon because the nightly hotel rate will not include the $20 a night resort fee and you will be charged for this.

2  Thank kdmia

Dear, kdmia,

Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor posting. I am glad that you enjoyed the resort and would certainly like to have you back as a guest in the future.