“If not for the mandatory fees, I would give it 5 stars”

Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort
Ranked #204 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel, given its very reasonable price. Checkin was very pleasant and quick. There are several pools, plenty of outside chairs, and other comfortable seating places near the pool area. There are also plenty of towels at the pool deck and a guy even came around with cooling towels. When evening came, a pool movie was shown. We had a room with a balcony, facing the pool. The room was very clean and was of a decent size for a party of two adults and two teenagers. We didn't discover that the room had a refrigerator until we were near checkout inasmuch as it is in what appears to be the dresser. We didn't use any of the other facilities since we spent most of our time by the pool. The location was also great for breakfast because there was a Sizzler buffet next door. Overall, a good experience with the exception of a $10 per day charge for parking and a $10 per day resort fee charge. I have paid resort fees before, but at resorts. This is a hotel with a nice pool area. I would not classify it as the type of resort in which you should pay a resort fee.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Gil R, Manager at Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Hello kjjesq,

Thank you for the positive and constructive comments on the Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort. We're glad that we were able to provide a positive guest experience for you. We truly appreciate the great feedback and we hope to see you again in the near future!

Assistant GM

Write a ReviewReviews (1,707)

Reviewed September 5, 2012

I have stayedI have stayed at this hotel several times since it was changed from the Sheraton Safari to Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort. The renovation is truly amazing. This hotel can truly be called a "resort". It has amazing pools, great outside space, and comfortable and spacious rooms. The breakfast is average but the location of this hotel makes up for that. If you are looking for the "disney hotel quality" and a low budget price, then this is the place for you. I will continue to use this hotel for all of my Orlando hotel needs.

Room Tip: Make sure you request a pool view room.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Dear Scott B,

Thank you for the great review on Tripadvisor. We're glad that we exceeded your expectations and the overall you had a great stay with us. We truly appreciate the positive feedback and we hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a few times in the past before the renovation. I always enjoyed the location, price point, their welcoming arms to small dogs and a nice pool area. When I heard that they were going to renovate I thought "great it will become cookie cutter and over priced like so many other hotels". So far I've been proven wrong.

The lobby is fresh and clean. It felt more like a conservative W than a Sheraton.

The rooms: I booked a suite this time. Nothing too crazy but it has a nice king bed facing the pool and in the family room a sleeper sofa and table. The styling was great though. We were lucky enough to have a room with tile floors (they just feel cleaner to me). The bed was super cozy. The decor is fresh and modern but still something my Mom would like. I found the room to be very clean and just all around nice.

The Pool: They really did a nice job of updating but not taking away. There are 2 pools here. One with a nice slide for the kids and 2 hot tubs. Towel service is great and there seemed to be enough chairs but not overwhelming. There is an outside bar area but it was closed while we were there.

They are small pet friendly. This is an amazing advantage for a pet owner who spoils my dog like a child. We prefer nicer hotels (she is more particular than I am). Not only do they allow pets but you have a nice room that is tiled instead of carpet which I prefer anyway due to allergies. Secondly and best of all they do not charge a fee for that. You just sign a waiver. Brilliant and it keeps me coming back.

The downside and the only reason I couldn't give 5 stars is that they now charge $10 a day for parking and a resort fee of $9.95. I travel all the time and just don't understand when a hotel thinks they have the right to charge a resort fee. I always feel that a resort fee is a scam. Just include the price into the room rate if it is required and not an option! Do you want the services and thus the fee. It did include wifi which was nice I guess but not needed. Paying to park in this area also seems like just another way to make some cash.

Overall it's a great option if you plan to go to Disney World and would rather not stay on property. I will most likely stay there again but just factor in an additional $20 added to the lowest published rate per night for fees.

Room Tip: -I prefer the tile floored rooms. -Some rooms face the parking lot which I would avoid because t...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Hello RussellKP,

Thank you for your positive review on the Sheraton LBVR. We're glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the Orlando area!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

When you get out of the car, you are engulfed in the smell of garbage. I asked the valet why it smelled like garbage and he said "uh, maybe because there's a garbage can right there" and pointed to the left of the entrance where there was a large commercial trash bin. I smelled garbage every time we walked outside the door of the hotel.
Don't waste your money on the valet. The self-parking is in the same area directly to the right of the entrance.
This was a 3 star hotel at best. Not terrible, not great. I was disappointed because I based my decision on the previous reviews. I would have been much happier at the Hyatt or the Peabody which weren't much more expensive than this hotel.
The room carpeting was not clean. My teen walked around after her shower and her feet were dirty on the bottom. I did not walk around without my shoes. The air conditioning never got very cold, definitely not close to the temperature setting. The bathroom had hair stuck to the tiles, the shower curtain was stained and the towels were small and thin. But, I left a tip for housekeeping and my room was significantly cleaner the next day, except for the carpet.
The walls in the room were paper thin. I listened to the guy staying next door cough all night. When in the bathroom, you could hear the people next door talking. The music from the pool area also came in loud and clear.
The pool area was ok. I never smelled chlorine or saw anyone check the PH levels like I've seen at other places. The slide was fun for the kids but there were so many people they spent a lot of time in line. The bartender was selective in who she provided with customer service. I was one of the lucky ones but I watched her be blatantly rude to others.
Overall, this is a poorly renovated, very old hotel that can't beat others in its proposed star range. I stayed in the preferred SPG area for members too. I hate to see what the non-preferred rooms offered. I wouldn't stay here again and I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Gil R, Manager at Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Hello asplashgirl,

Thank you for your recent review on the Sheraton LBVR. We appreciate your feedback and I'm sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations. I have shared your review with our entire team and I can honestly tell that you we're really disappointed that we did not deliver the service nor the experience that we are well known for. In the future, please contact my office directly and I will make sure your next stay with us is a great experience.

At Your Service,

Reviewed September 4, 2012

This hotel was absolutely perfect. It was close to all the attractions and had all the amenities we needed. We loved the pool area with the slide , restaurant and bar. And the breakfasts were wonderful. The friendly, helpful staff just added to the experience. I would recommend to anyone who wants to experience Orlando and all the city has to offer.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family

Dear Marilyn B,

Thank you for the grear review on the Sheraton LBVR. We appreciate the great comments and we're happy to hear that you had a wonderful experience with us. We hope to see you again in the very near future!

Reviewed September 3, 2012

We got a great deal on this hotel through Hotwire-wound up paying approximately $75/night after the parking charge. For that price we felt that we got a great deal. Stayed for 4 nights over the holiday weekend. Beds are comfortable, room was clean and modern. We had a 3rd floor room facing the street and it was very quiet, even for a country mouse such as myself. I never heard any noise.
Pool facility is clean and well-maintained. Water slide keeps the kids busy. There is a small store selling basic items (quite expensive, but we enjoyed the ice cream without having to leave the building, which is a big plus), nice workout facility, business center, and restaurant. We only ate breakfast at the restaurant-the buffet was good and ample, and although it is a bit pricy, it really is an elegant place with incredibly good service. Staff treated us like long-lost family-really can't say enough about how good they are, and I'm not one for effusive praise.
Others have complained about inadequate/poorly located parking. This was not my experience at all. We got a spot right in front of the hotel everyday and only walked a short distance. Perhaps this was part of the renovations?
Regardless, we will definitely be back-this facility has more than persuaded us to be repeat customers whenever we are in Orlando.

Room Tip: Ask for a street-side room-they seem to be quieter than those that face the pool
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Dear pickles37_10,

Thank you for the great review on the Sheraton LBVR. We're glad that you had a great experience with us and we hope to be your home away from home when your travels bring you back to Orlando!

Reviewed September 2, 2012

It is true than as an SPG member you get a lot of perks while visiting SPG properties. This was a fine example how a 2 star hotel makes you feel like you are in a 5 star property.
The service starts when you register and continues throughout your stay.
The complimentary business center is great, the fitness facilities are spotless and well equiped. The pools are great.
I had a great stay and will definetly used them again, and again.

Room Tip: Become a member of their SPG program.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello BluePrelude,

Thank you for the great review on your most recent stay with us! We appreciate the great comments especially from our loyal customers-our SPG guest. We're glad that we exceeded your expectations and we hope to see you again in the near future!