“Great resort with wonderful amenities”

Sheraton Vistana Resort - Lake Buena Vista
Ranked #65 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersGold level
Fairfax, Virginia
“Great resort with wonderful amenities”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Some friends invited us to join them for a week at this resort, and we enjoyed every minute of it. Our room was large and clean (a two-bedroom condo with full kitchen, living/dining room, balcony overlooking a lake, and even a Jacuzzi tub in the master suite). Unfortunately, the beds were pretty uncomfortable and the pillows were too firm, so that your spine sinks into the mattress while your head is raised up--which results in a position that unavoidably leads to lots of tossing and turning at night and neck/back aches. That's pretty much the only complaint I have about the room, as everything else was very nice.
The kitchen was well stocked, but if you plan on "home cooking" be aware that you will need all the basics (including basic condiments like salt, pepper, and sugar; as well as coffee and tea) because the room does not include any. We assumed that things like mini-golf and movie rentals would be free, but they are not. Fortunately the use of tennis courts (if you have your own rackets and balls) and all pools (including hot tubs, sauna, and steam bath--which were our favorite!) IS free.
This resort is located close to all the main parks, which is convenient--but it also means that the traffic around is terrible. We actually only went to one park, and spent the other days enjoying the resort, but we heard several people complaining about how full the roads were and how long it took them to get to and from the parks--despite being SO close! Perhaps it was because the area is extra busy during the holiday season...
I cannot comment on the resort restaurants, as we did not eat at any of them. We did grab a quick meal at the "food court" (KFC, A&W, Pizza Hut), but service was slow, the food took forever, and it was not very good. Fortunately there are plenty of good places to eat nearby, and I would recommend walking to them, instead of driving and having to deal with traffic. There are also a Walgreen's, a 7-Eleven, and a few other small stores walking distance. The resort Market is also conveniently located, but of course is overpriced. They have a nice deli, which also offers lunch specials.
The tennis courts were great and made of clay (which is our favorite surface to play on). The various pool areas were lots of fun and the pools were even heated for the winter, which made it comfortable for swimming despite the cool outdoor temperatures. We spent a lot of time in the sauna and steam bath--note that you sometimes have to turn them on before use, and give them some time to warm up.
The mini-golf was well kept, but is very simple. All holes were par 2, which I actually think is a mistake by the sign designers, because a few were double holes (you have to get the ball into one hole, it goes through a tube to a separate green, and then you have to get it into a second hole) and it would be nearly impossible to get two holes in one in order to get par 2. Other than that, it's a fun activity for families. There are some discounts and specials for mini golf, which appear on the resort event schedule.
Cleaning service only came by once during our stay--for some reason I assumed they would come every day, to make the beds and such... but that wasn't a big deal. We just kept everything tidy ourselves, and on cleaning day we got fresh towels.
All-in-all, we enjoyed our stay at the Vistana Resort very much!

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor and up offer more privacy.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank ReiseLust_23
das51, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Vistana Resort - Lake Buena Vista, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
We certainly appreciate your feedback, views and opinions expressed through Trip Advisor.
Thank you for taking the time to share your observations which stemmed from your recent vacation at the Sheraton.

We are famous for our 7 heated pools and variety of activities for all age groups. It's a delight to learn that you enjoyed a bit of tennis and swimming. Please be sure to tell our staff if something is missing or should be replaced, such as mattress and pillows. It is always our pleasure to provide comfort and relaxation for our guests.

As of January, our kitchen is currently stocked with 2 packets of regular & decaf Starbucks coffee, 2 Tazo teas and condiments for your enjoyment.

We are hopeful you will return to the Sheraton and we thank you for recommending this resort.
Best Wishes for a Happy New Year.

Resort Management Team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,182)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Hamilton, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

we stayed at sheraton vistana for one week the week before christmas, every thing there was
excellent except the internt connection never worked if you dont mind that , its perfect place to stay.best to have a car it's not far from most attraction but their taxi is a bit expensive,we stayed at Cascades 2 with elevator. Best restaurant Cicis pizza on the highway very delicious and very cheap

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Vistana Resort to spend your vacation.
We appreciate every comment shared by our guests, as it provides the resort staff an opportunity to improve service or share a praise.

We are sorry to learn that the internet service was uncooperative. Not sure if this issue was reported for our Internet Specialists to assist.

We encourage our guests to tell us -as our team will always find solutions. Please know that we appreciate your understanding on this matter.

Thanks again for allowing us to serve you, we look forward to host you again soon.

Warmest Wishes
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

Our second stay at The Sheraton Vistana Resort was just as wonderful as our first. The resort is just minutes from Disney World and Universal Studios. The units are large, comfortable, immaculate and the hot tub in the unit is perfect for relaxing after a full day of visiting amusement parks. The staff are friendly and helpful. The grounds are beautiful and the facilities are excellent. My kids loved the pools and the arcades.
Being a family of five, it was great to have room to spread out and not be crowded together in one room. Plus having a washer and dryer in the unit was great!

2 Thank hicksspa
Thank you for reconsidering the Sheraton Vistana Resort on your 2nd trip to Orlando.
We are very encouraged to read about your wonderful experience with the family.

The Sheraton is a family-oriented resort - which is also "home away from home" for our owners who are proudly await to return and to belong.

Our caring staff takes pride in the aesthetics looks of villa, landscaping, and much more.
It is our pleasure to serve and delight you.

We look forward to welcome you again home where you can continue to create lifetime memories.

Best Wishes
Littleton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed for 8 days over Christmas at the Sheraton Vistana Lake Buena Vista in a two bedroom unit. We received a room on the second floor in the Lakes area and our building had an elevator, all as we had requested. The building was away from the highway and was overall quite quiet. One night neighbors (above?) were playing their music too loud for me and the bass was annoying, but not annoying enough for me to call the front desk to complain. We really only use our hotel as a base of operations when we are at Disney (leave at 7am, return at 10pm) and only took the time to sleep in the rooms and did not visit any of amenities available on the property. The unit was in nice condition, however the roman tub bathtub stopper did not work, but we called and maintenance fixed the problem quickly. When I needed a ride to Hollywood Studios, I discovered the hotel did not offer a shuttle to the parks, or if it did, it was not immediately obvious after looking through their literature. So, I called for a cab. The cab arrived 10 minutes after calling, which impressed me. However, I had wished there was a free shuttle. The location is very close to Disney and it was a short drive to the parks. Remember to bring automatic dishwashing powder and laundry detergent if you plan to use those appliances. I didn't see any in the room, however I had packed some, so I wasn't looking too hard. The beds were comfortable, but did not have fitted sheets. The bottom sheet kept coming off the mattress and it was annoying. Maids do not come as at a regular hotel, so it was an annoyance for the whole trip. Overall, the resort was lovely, quiet, well maintained, and close to the parks. When you check in, the front desk will bring you down to the marketing staff to try to get you to go to a timeshare presentation. The marketing woman was a bit pushy and tried to bribe us to go to the presentation with a free continental breakfast and some light up swords for the kids, but I held firm and refused to make an appointment. After you check in, you should just bypass marketing and go straight to your room and avoid the hassle. I didn't realize that was an option at the time. The front desk was also very kind and printed our boarding passes for us. That was impressive service to me!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in a building with an elevator and away from the highway. I wished I was on a top flo...
2 Thank Deb41647
Thank you for sharing your positive feedback and observations during your recent vacation at the Sheraton.

We appreciate your time and effort to share your comments with our caring staff, as they take pride in delivering impeccable service, always.

Our villas are stocked with complimentary dishwashing liquid and soap, our staff will be happy to deliver extras if requested.

Daily shuttle will charge a nominal fee of $9.00 round trip to Disney Parks. Our Tickets and Transportation Team can readily assist with the scheduling.
Thanks again for choosing the Sheraton to enjoy your vacation and for sharing this recommendation with others.

We are hopeful you will return to enjoy this lovely resort -to explore nature, peace and tranquility .

Best Wishes and a Happy New Year
Resort Management Team
Palm Bay, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

We spent a night here in a one bedroom suite. It was extremely spacious. The suite is very comfortable. The living room has a couch and easy chair and is equipped with a flat panel HD TV and a Bose stereo. Unfortunately, as in many hotels, the HDTV is nice but the programming is standard definition. The kitchen area has a nice dining room table with four chairs, full sized refrigerator, stove, dishwasher and sink. One does not have to go out to eat. Groceries are available for purchase in the resort complex. The bedroom has a large, comfortable bed and a flat panel HD TV with no HD channels. The area is very quiet and conducive to a good night's sleep. There are a number of activities for all ages and decent eating places. The resort is well maintained. It is within about a 20 minute drive from the area attractions. A car is a necessity.

There is a lot to do for people of all ages on the grounds. There are a number of places to eat. We experienced the restaurant in The Market Place and went to the Magic and Mayhem show at Zimmie's Restaurant. The show is entertaining and a dinner buffet is included. The buffet provides a well balanced meal and is fairly plain but decent food. With gratuity and tax (

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JackofPBFL
das51, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Vistana Resort - Lake Buena Vista, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to write and share your expressions and observations with Trip Advisor.

We thank you for choosing the Sheraton to enjoy your vacation and we appreciate your feedback on your villa accommodation, the amenities and activities.

We look forward to serve you again for many years to come.
Best Wishes for a Safe and Prosperous New Year.

Regards
Resort Management, Team
Danbury, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

We stayed at the Sheraton Vistana Resort from December 1-December 8.

When we checked in to our 2 bedroom/2 bath, it looked nice enough, but from the first night we stayed, my son and I woke up to itchy eyes, runny nose, sneezing, and coughing. My asthma was acting up as well. I didn't think it was the bed or the room, but when we went out for the whole day, my son and I were fine.

The second night, same thing, we woke up miserably. The headboard was the only thing I noticed that had a weird design and every area of it was full of dust that you could see in every crevice of the headboard, in which because of the design, were many.

I called about us waking up sick for 2 nights in a row, and we were informed that the cleaning crew would come. Unfortunately, when they did, they informed us that they don't change the sheets, only replace towels, and do a quick tidy up mid week. We were also informed that it could be the type of chemicals they use to clean that could be making us sick.

When we found a large dead bug the first day in the bathroom and called, we were told that they could send someone to spray the room, and I thought, why would they use a bug killing spray all over the room, while we are occupying it....perhaps that is what they did right before we got there, which could have been the reason for the dead bug, and for my son and I being sick.

So, for the whole week there, my asthma was bad and my allergies were terrible and the same with my 6 year old son. The resort we went to in the same area the following week was a huge relief, as I did not wake up sick.

On top of this, there were other minor things, such as there being no sponge for the dishes, and when asking about it, they said they don't provide it, yet, every resort we have ever stayed at do provide a sponge to clean your dishes, and strangely enough, they do provide the dishwashing liquid!

There were no activities worth going to and most of them were pricey and not worth it. I have never been so disappointed with a resorts activities as I was with the Sheraton Vistana Resort.

5 of us went to the advertised big Bingo event, and there were only 3 other people there...and when I asked the guy doing the bingo what a person would win, he said a mug, a small towel, and the main prize was 2 nights there, and it cost $10 each person for the game, which was more than the worth of most of the prizes.

The grand prize of 2 nights there....I did not want to win either, bc why in the world would anyone want to spend 2 more nights there, even for free.

4 Thank HonestMom0913
SVRGM, General Manager at Sheraton Vistana Resort - Lake Buena Vista, responded to this review, December 25, 2012
Many thanks for taking time out of your busy calendar to write a review on Trip Advisor. If you would like to reach out to me personally regarding the challenges encountered I invite you to do so at by using the following email address: svrgm@starwoodvo.com

Wishing you and your family all the best during this holiday season.

Glen A. Vlasic - General Manager
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

We stayed for 8 days in a 2-room villa. This is a property that does not throw in the hotel 'benefits' but you get a kitchen and the best way to keep your dining options open. Most who come to Orlando are here for the amusement parks - which means spending most of the day outside, so you really don't need much else from your accomodations. The rooms/furnishings appear tired, but very comfortable. The biggest issue we had was poor wifi connectivity, which apparently has been cited in several reviews here.

You must have a car in this location - shuttle services are good, but after a long day, you don't want to deal with scrambles to get home.

1 Thank gul1957
das51, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Vistana Resort - Lake Buena Vista, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to share your views and opinions with the Trip Advisor Portal.

We are very sorry to learn that the WIFI was an inconvenience to you. This may have happened due heavy volume usage, but I am happy to report the system is operational and satisfactory. Your comments are valuable and have been shared for improvement

Thanks again for choosing the Sheraton, we look forward to welcome you again soon.
Warmest Holiday Wishes,