“Good basic accommodations for a family, clean, spacious villas”

Sheraton Vistana Resort - Lake Buena Vista
Ranked #67 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersGold level
Philadelphia
“Good basic accommodations for a family, clean, spacious villas”
Reviewed March 31, 2012

i am a Westin owner and booked the Sheraton Vistana Villas for a trip with our kids to Disney. The resort has been remodeled since I was there previously, and and the accomodations are nice. Not a Westin, but nice enough for a family. The Villa was clean and nicely furnished. The utensils and pots/pans were pretty sparse, but enough to make your meals. Sheraton only provides soap in the bathrooms, not shampoo, etc. I didnt know this and had to go buy shampoo.

The pool does get crowded, although we always got chairs eventually by finding one here and one there and moving them together.

The resort is close to all of the attractions. Lots of restaurants nearby as well.

All in all, it is a good resort for a family who plans on going to the various parks. I wouldnt consider this a destination resort, although my kids had a ball playing in the pool one day.

4 Thank rrlawgirl
das51, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Vistana Resort - Lake Buena Vista, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
Dear Westin Owner.. Many thanks for sharing your comments and feedback with Trip Advisor.

Thank you for chosing the Sheraton Vistana Resort as your destination spot.
Our resort does offer not offer shampoo, conditioners and coffee, as our owners prefers to bring their own. This small amenity is conveniently stocked in our Market Place, amongst daily staples, other toiletries and groceries.

The 7 pools can get crowed during Spring Break and holidays, but the Management Team continues to monitor the usage of chairs and towels, which seems to be controllable and appreciated by all.

Again, thank you for being loyal to the Starwood Family, we are looking forward to serve you again, anytime you are in the Central Florida area.

Well Wishes to you and your family.
Regards
SVO Management, Inc.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,199)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Central NY
Reviewed March 29, 2012

My wife, daughter (6 yrs.), and I, stayed here March 17th - 24th, 2012. We rented a one bedroom villa in the Cascades section, Building 9 by using an Interval International "getaway".

General location of property - Excellent location just off the I-4 and close to everything, Easy in and easy out. Disney (Epcot / Magic Kingdom) is a mere 5 miles away, at most, and almost a straight shot from the property (World Drive is just a 1/4 mile south of resort). Seaworld is about same distance, if not closer. Universal Orlando is a little further, but still an easy drive. The resort is large, two big sections with separate security gates and each with it's own subsections. On the "Cascades" side, it was a reasonable walk, for us, to most amenities. I would say that if you were in the further reaches of the resort that the walk to some amenities could be daunting. But most pools were centrally located. We never ventured to the "Fountain" side of the resort.

Check in - Very nice check in experience, you have but one chance to make a first impression with me. Front desk staff were very friendly. Our room was not ready (1pm) but I have have come to expect that at resorts of this size, and we were pretty early. The desk clerk was very nice and explained that there was a locker room next to the "Super Pool" we could use to change and swim while we waited. Having a locker room for transient travelers was a great feature, and it was very thoughtful of her to explain this to a wary traveler. She also explained that, when I returned, I was already checked in and all I needed to do was come to the "keys only" section of the desk. This helped immensely when I returned to find the lobby full of wary "tourists", and me not being one of them! I was given my keys and explained how to navigate to the villa. Then I was given a bag of coupons to both local eating establishments, and off site activities, and a list of resort activities. I was also offered a chance to schedule a timeshare sales meeting to which I respectfully replied, "I'm sorry, but I can barely afford the one week I own now". Which, with the economy lately, is no exaggeration. She did try one last time with a monetary enticement and a free lunch or breakfast. But I again politely said that there wasn't a chance with me. So off we went.

The Building / Grounds - Some buildings do back up to the busy FL535, but all balcony's face toward the interior of the property. Our building was a little bit more toward the interior of the property, about 50 yards away from the FL535. I would venture to say that this appeared to be one of the better buildings to be in because it was quiet both in front, and back, of the building. Some "backs" of the buildings would face out to the FL535 or to the main resort roads. Our building had a nice "cul-de-sac" parking lot that was neither busy nor full. Our room was the smaller of the two styles of one bedroom villas but was spacious enough for the three of us. There were the requisite TV's (LCD's like they should be ... see another of my reviews), full fridge, full oven, dishwasher, etc., etc. What my wife and I thought was a really nice feature was the Bose Wave sound system. This set this resort apart from other resorts we've stayed. We loved listening to tunes while preparing lunch or morning breakfast. There was a spa tub in the bathroom, another nice feature. King size bed in the bedroom, another nice feature. A good size screened balcony that overlooked the pond and fountain from the fourth floor. The hair dryer and coffee maker were in disrepair when we arrived. The hair dryer looked as though a non-compatible cleaning fluid had been wiped on it and melted the plastic, making it a sticky, almost gooey mess. The coffee pot had chips out of the glass right at the spout, was afraid of getting glass in our coffee. When we called to let them know, we were greeted about 20 mins. later with BRAND NEW items. Great service. My wife was ecstatic that it was an 1875 watt hair dryer, so there you go ladies ... leave them blowers at home! The cabinets and counter-top (granite) appear to be quite new. And I had heard these villas were recently updated. The furniture was comfortable and both the king bed and pullout were also comfortable. We never really heard any other guests, save for the occasional toilet flush (and they were powerful ... so there you go guys ... bring your [--] down!). It did appear that there were guests to one side, and above us. But they were either really quiet, or the building is reasonably insulated.
The grounds here, and my wife agrees, are the MOST BEAUTIFUL we've seen in ANY resort we've been to. The flora was just phenomenal. Whomever designed, and whomever maintains, this luscious landscape have to be commended. Everywhere you turn there is color. You can tell that there was a plan in place that made sure there was some kind of flowering, blooming, or just plain color, all year round. There was also a perfect blend of palm trees, deciduous trees, and ornamental trees surrounding the resort, especially the "Spa Pool" area. There were tall palms, short palms, palms that were at your fingertips from the hallway to your villa. Absolutely perfect. The eighty foot palm at the Cascades pool was a treat ... what a beauty!

The Pools - Our building was somewhat centrally located and we had two pools within easy walking distance, the "Cascades" and the "Spa". There were three more pools a little further down the road, "Falls", "Super", and what I called the adult lap pool. On the days we swam, we used the "Cascades" primarily, and at night we would use the "Spa". Both were clean and clear, and I know pools (chlorination). The "Cascades" pool does get busy during the day and you will want to get an early start to your swimming day to get a decent chair. However, it never seemed over-crowded, just busy. People were always coming and going so there was, if you happened down for an afternoon swim, an opportunity to get a chair to place your stuff. Might not have always been in the best seat in the house, but a chair anyway. The "Spa" pool at night (8pm and on) was absolutely phenomenal ... never busy and, again, the landscaping made you feel as if you were living the rock star life. Although I do have one complaint here, ducks were nesting near a tree at this pool and were swimming in the pool along with the humans, gasp! I wasn't too fond of that but it couldn't be any worse than swimming at your local lake, eh?. Chlorine in this water at least ....
We did swim in both the "Super" and "Falls" pool and both were reasonably busy but never over-crowded. The "Super" pool seemed to be "the place to be" and geared towards eating, drinking, and having fun. While the "Falls" pool seemed to be more for the laid back crowd with small children. The "Cascades" pool was a mixture of both. I did have but one problem at the pools, and that was with the lazy people that would just leave their towels all over the place and not drop them in the bins that were at EVERY gate!!! Come late afternoon it looked as though a bomb of blue striped towels went off. How lazy can you be? This wasn't the resorts fault, it's just pure human laziness or entitlement.

Activities - Sadly, because of our "off resort" activities list and/or our just plain exhaustion come evening, we only did but one activity at the resort. A very nice gal at the "Cascades" pool braided my daughter's hair. She loves it so much that she still has it in a week later. The resort did have a long list of daily activities though, and it seemed there was something for everyone, even adult game shows!

Restaurants / Amenities - My wife and I are the type that likes to prepare a light lunch in the villa and then hit the streets for dinner, so we didn't eat at the resort at all. But the food looked nicely prepared and presented from what I could see being delivered poolside at the "Cascades" pool. Yes, they deliver food and beverages right to your chair / table!! Much to the chagrin of my wife, I like to seek out restaurants that the locals call home, not the tourists. I found the jackpot when I found the "El Tenampa" about 4/5 miles south of FL535. The best Mexican food I have ever had, and my wife agrees. That will be another review! The "Marketplace" is the on site store that had all the usual "must haves", and had four to five computers, with printers, so you can check in for flights AND print your boarding passes without needing a staff person. That was another nice feature.

Overall - The Sheraton Vistana Resort (not to be confused with Sheraton Vistana Villages on I-Drive) was a top notch resort. The staff was very accommodating, and the security staff at the gates always greeted you back, sometimes taking your room key and swiping it in the gate reader for you. It's those little things that makes you feel a little special, even if it's only for a week in your life. As the title of my review states, any timeshare owner here should be proud of their home resort. The villas are fantastically updated, the grounds are stunning and well maintained. You can tell that there has been reinvestment at this resort. Keep up the good work ... I can only hope we can muster up another vacation here!!

4 Thank thepiratemorgan
canada
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Loved the two bedroom. Very clean grounds. The only complaint the bar wasnt open by our pool had sign saying best frozen drinks they lost a lot of business the pool was packed everyday. We will return again.

2 Thank bluesky11
Thank you for sharing your observations and comments with Trip Advisor.
We are appreciative for every feedback received from our guests and owners.

Your comments are valuable as they were already shared with the Management Team for awareness.

We look forward to welcome you and to serve you, hopefully under brighter circumstances.
Warmest Regards

Pocono Mountains Region, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 27, 2012

First, I rent these villas from those that own. They are top notch accommodations. The staff is great. You don't have to leave the resort to have a wonderful vacation. But if you want to, it's centrally located to all Orlando attractions. We love it here!

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank jerseyt719
It is with delight that we read of your positive comments and feedback shared with Trip Advisor.
Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Vistana, a Time Share Vacation Ownership Property as your vacation spot.

Hopefully, someday you too will be interested in becoming a Timeshare owner. Until then, we look forward to welcome you to the Sheraton, your home away from your home.

Again, thank you for recommending the Sheraton to other friends and families and for being loyal to the Starwood Family.
Best Wishes

Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed March 26, 2012

my family owns a time share at this resort so we've been there lots of times and every time we go we love it a little bit more. it has everything you need to spend the time of your life, its big, comfty and so beautiful ! in a few words i love Vistana, it is definitely the best resort in the área, plus its so close to disney its incredible !

Room Tip: ask for the cascade villas since they are very new and just finished their renovations
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank andrelofish
das51, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Vistana Resort - Lake Buena Vista, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
We are truly delighted to learn that you enjoyed your recent vacation at the Sheraton Vistana Resort.

Many thanks for taking the time to write and share your experience with us, your comments are appreciated and will be shared amongs the team members.

Thanks for recommending the Sheraton Vistana to others. We are looking forward to welcome you home again very soon.
Best Wishes,

Knoxville, TN
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Our stay at Vistana was from 3/17/12-3/24/12, so we just returned home. We have stayed at this resort several times before, so we have great memories there of when our children were small. Now taking 20-year old son and his girlfriend, it's a little different for us. We were very happy with our Courts unit (bldg 3, unit 40) with the recent renovation. Granite in kitchen and baths, hardwood on steps to upstairs bedroom, wonderful gas grills (only gas grills on property, rest are charcoal) made our stay wonderful. The Courts is also conveniently located to both Cascades and the Super Pool, as well as others if you'd like to visit them. Our unit was simply BEAUTIFUL and it definitely met my high standards.

Now for a few areas that could use improving...

$9 per person roundtrip for a Disney shuttle is ridiculous! Of course, we drove and paid $15 to park at Disney instead, but a free shuttle would have been nice. (Summer Bay Resort down on Hwy 192, last resort we stayed at in Orlando, offers free shuttle.)

As I headed to bed at 10:00 PM Saturday night, I called and asked for a 7:00 AM wake-up call to go to Epcot. My 7:00 AM wake-up call came at 4:00 AM!! My son, his girlfriend and I had left home Friday night at midnight for the 10 hour drive, and with a full day at Epcot planned on Sunday, my precious sleep was highly valued! I couldn't figure out how SEVEN sounded like FOUR in any accent! I suppose I chock it up to incompetence, which seems to abound these days!

While I appreciate the complimentary pool towels being so plentiful, it poses a problem with trying to find a chair at the very crowded pools. With no accountability for them, the towels are left all over the chairs with no one lying on them for hours. Inconsiderate people get up and leave the pool area, but don't deposit their used towels in the bins, so you're not sure which chairs are available. On our second day at the pool, we committed the no-no of reserving chairs to avoid this hassle!

All in all, we would definitely stay at Vistana again. The units and grounds are both impeccably maintained. And I'm glad to see that they have earned back their RCI Gold Crown award!

Room Tip: Call ahead and ask to be located away from I-4 or Hwy 535.
7 Thank tscarbrough
Many thanks for taking the time to write and share your observations and impressions with Trip Advisor.

We appreciate your feedback which stemmed from your recent vacation at the Sheraton VIstana Resort.

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback about the Courts and the recent property renovation. Yes, we are very proud of our Gold Crown Status, which we vow to retain.

Owners and Exchange Guests are very appreciative for the shuttle and have been paying $9.00 round trip to the Disney Theme parks.. for years. This amenity is appreciated for non drivers/international guests. However, we value your comments.

Our Management team are scheduled daily to monitors the pool chairs and towels, so far, we have seen reasonable progress. We will continue this focus for total controllability.

Your comments relating to the wake up call is disappointing and we do extend our apologies for the inconvenience.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts, we look forward to welcome you home soon!
Best Wishes,

Dassie S,
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed March 24, 2012

When Sheraton took over the Vistana I expected great things. We own a timeshare and have been visitors several times there for almost 20 years.

We were invited to an 'Owners Update' which turned out to be a very high pressure sales pitch trying to get us to upgrade in the Starwood program which is way too complicated to even understand.

The unit we were able to reserve (granted - we reserved late) was cramped and worn. Housekeeping ignored rewuests and we wound up having to buy our own Tpaper and tissues!

Earlier stays had been flawless...so sad to see this property going downhill.

Room Tip: Stay away from the 1 bedroom units in the Cascades...very cramped compared to 2 BR units.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RCKTRAVELER
Dear Owner
Thank you for sharing your feedback and observations with Trip Advisor and for allowing the Sheraton team to address your concerns.

The invite to partipate in the Product Update is optional when you are staying at the Sheraton, the session is about sharing information and learning more about Starwood Network Benefits and upgrades.. We are very sorry to learn that our sales associate made you feel pressured.. Your comments have been shared with the Sales Director for awareness and focus.

We are sorry that your villa requests were not met this time. Please knowSheraton staff pride themselves in delivering service, which reflects in the rave reviews we receive globally. Your experience is an exception and taken seriously. It will be shared with the team for coaching.

We welcome the opportunity to oversee your villa needs, please feel free to contact our Guest Services team, by dialling 0 anytime.

Looking forward to welcome you again your Gold Crown, Go Green Initiative Resort, recognized for Starwood's Global Sustainability and recepient of Florida Green Lodging Award.
We are very proud of our newly renovated 1682 villas and positive reviews and recommendations. Thank you for being loyal.

Our Sheraton Team makes the Difference!.
Regards,