“2nd Stay & Pet Friendly”

The Courtyard at Lake Lucerne
Ranked #1 of 4 Orlando B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 20, 2014

First stay my husband stayed here the second time he went there for business I was able to go along. It is a neat old place. We stayed in the Wellborn suites because this section is pet friendly. If you are looking for top of the line upscale place then this isn't for you. However if you are looking for a clean and old school historic place this is it. The bathroom was small and the room was basic but the bed was comfortable! The windows are older style so you can't open them but it adds character. The breakfast was fresh and homemade egg frittata. One with ham and the other with spinach. You can choose to eat your breakfast on the large gorgeous porch or you can eat it inside. We sat outside since we took our dog to breakfast with us. They do have a cat that lives there so if your dog does not like cats then this might be an issue for you. Our dog doesn't mind them so he did fine with sitting on the porch while the cat was at the other end.

Also if you have a dog with you, you can go for a fairly long walk around the lake right across the street. You can also walk downtown but it is a fairly long walk for a dog in the heat.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank couple-n-pup

Reviewed May 9, 2014

What started out as a scheduling booking nightmare, ended rather nicely, with just a tad bit of inconvenience. Booked over a month prior with a reservationist on her way out the door (moved to Japan apparently... good luck Hanah). Anyway Raphael did his darnedest to make things right. Apparently there are like 3 wedding every weekend and our rooms got double booked or something. Well to resolve we had to move three times for the 3 nights we stayed (I was down for a medical conference) but that was not big deal because we got to taste all the inn had to offer.

We spent one night in the main house (Dr. Phillips) and one in the inn over the in-keepers hangout and finally one night in the ArtDeco restored hotel next door. So it was cool to experience all three settings. Of course the upgrade to the main house was awesome, giving us a bathroom the size of one of their regular rooms. Nice thing is that the staff was very apologetic and accommodating and this made up for everything.

Nice thing about a convention town with a B&B or Inn... is that you are not crowded into a sardine can of a host hotel with resort fees and feeling nickle and dime'd to death. This was refreshing and also allowed us walking access to the downtown area which we thoroughly enjoyed. We will stay again, but be warned it is very popular with brides to be, and can get noisy at least until 10:30PM. Also they serve free wine and liquor at about 5PM... some cheese and crackers and fresh fruit would be nice.

Breakfast is a warm Continental each morning. Finding the place and parking can be a bit of a challenge. GPS's don't always get your there.

Room Tip: GPS may lead you to the other side of the circling street. Double check your bookings! Make su...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank JPSaleebyMD
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Watch which room you choose. I chose the standard room based on the photos posted online. It looked charming, unique and like a cool place to stay. What I got was an old 1 bedroom apartment with filthy, old carpet, crummy walls, tilted TV, smelly and old worn out furniture. Not antiques like the photos showed.
I understand a difference in standard and premium but again, what I had to stay in was in now way like the photos online for the "standard" room.
Outside was very nice between the houses, and I guess the other real houses most likely have the cool rooms with hardwood floors, nice antique furniture and charm. I was in a building not a house, made of cinder block. I was kept awake for a while from the room above me.
Breakfast was so-so.
Clerk was dreaming of another job.

Room Tip: Just make sure you understand what you are getting with a standard room!!!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank dcxpl
Reviewed March 25, 2014

This is a quaint, charming property. Very difficult to locate, even after reading the other reviews here on Trip Advisor and trying to take note of the hints. Our GPS took us to the wrong location, but the map feature on our iphone got us there. Staff was very helpful and accommodating, even allowing us to check in earlier than we had discussed. What a beautiful property! I only wish we'd had time to explore the different buildings and take advantage of the complimentary cocktail hour and breakfast.

We were in a small apartment in the Wellborn Building - 1 bedroom, living room, small kitchenette (no stove or range) and full bath. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in! The biggest drawback was the location. Located right next to a very noisy highway. The regular traffic noise wasn't too bad, but the constant emergency vehicle sirens was distracting, and the train horn blowing in the distance throughout the night didn't lend to a good night's sleep. If you're sensitive to light (as I am) make sure you take a sleep mask with you as the blinds do little to block the well-lit property.

Unfortunately, we had to leave too early to enjoy the included breakfast, and the office was not yet open (6:30) for us to properly check out, so we left the key in the room and called later to let them know we had left.

Would we go back? Yes, if it were in a different location...but since the owners are not likely to move the four beautiful buildings encompassing this property, returning won't be an option for us.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wendy S
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We decided this place was so charming that we had to incorporate it into our wedding. We along with all of our family stayed here. It was hands down the worst wedding decision we made. Do NOT recommend at all. We chose our rooms in advance online and at check-in different family members got bumped to different rooms because they gave ours away. Quoted a certain deal in the beginning and charged something different at check-out. Management is rude and will avoid your calls if you have an issue. Out of the bride's room and the groom's- Tub was broken in one ... tub, ac, AND toilet broken in the other. My wedding dress was damp from the humidity in the room. Front desk just shrugged it all off. I was heartbroken that we paid a small fortune to rent out almost all of their rooms and got such bad service. And the quality was definitely not on par with the price tag. Right down the road we could've all gotten clean suites with working AC, an awesome view of lake eola, and even a hot tub and pool for less than we paid here. Tour the house, it's cute, but don't stay here. I really wish I could go back and do it over.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Mysti_R
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Ok - so some of the reviews here were giving me second thoughts about staying here, which turned out to be stressing over nothing. There is a ramp between the front of the complex and the lake, but that should not bother you. The complex is focused inwards towards the courtyard, an oasis in downtown Orlando. I stayed in the apartment building, are really huge hotel suites. The art deco furnishings sealed the deal for me. The furnishings had some mileage on them (bar cabinet, dresser) but they are antiques, and the room was very clean. Coming from NY in February, I truly enjoyed eating breakfast on a porch in the courtyard, which was of a better quality than what you would get at a chain. The cocktail hour was quaint and I enjoyed it. Staying at a place like this makes traveling fun again. If you don't understand that I can't help you out. Either way, when I go back to Orlando I will be staying there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank 311Geoff
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We made a reservation for this B&B and ended up in the Wellborn Suites because they "don't allow children in our houses." The Wellborn Suites are old apartments nicely refitted with 1950s furniture. They were clean and funky and functional, but not exactly what we expected. The photo of the jacuzzi tub is not at all representative of the room we got. I believe they do have THAT room, but don't think it is a good representation of the Suites in general. The two houses on the property at stunning and everything one would hope for-- beauty, antiques, pure loveliness. There is quite a bit of nearby highway noise. Landscaping is very nice and the two very, very old kitties are feeble but friendly and happy.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family