“A great family base for Disney”

Staybridge Suites Lake Buena Vista
Ranked #17 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed June 16, 2008

This is a great family base for a stay at Disney. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite, there were two excellent sized bedrooms, a big parents room and 2 double beds in the 'childrens' room. They each had their own bathrooms and wash facilities. The living room and kitchen area were more than sufficient for a large family. You had the choice to eat in or go out. The rooms have been refurbished, with new curtains, bed linen, etc. What did let the rooms down where the quality and wear and tear on the kitchen and bathroom units. They were classic American, functional but not high quality. They needed refurbished.

The other facilities were excellent, from the service from the staff, to the Free breakfast, which was more than adequate, and great waffles, to the Free internet and wifi in the rooms, if you wanted. One draw back at breakfast, no fresh fruit!

The pool area was superb, and open until 11pm, which is a welcome break from the heat of Floirda and gives you an opportunity to rest your weary legs. The accommodation is on three floors and is situated around the coutryard pool, which gives a very safe and enclosed sense to the hotel.

The utlimate question, would I stay there again and would I recommend it to friends? The answer to both questions is YES, and we did. We cancelled the last night of another hotel to return to Staybridge Suites before coming home.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank saparker
Write a ReviewReviews (2,727)

Reviewed June 13, 2008

What a fab hotel! My family (2 adults 2 children) stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment - very spacious, very clean and comfortable in May 2008 for two weeks. We could not fault the hotel at all. Free breakfast every morning and Managers specials during the week which included free beer/wine between 5.30pm/7.30pm. The pool/pool towels were immaculate and lots of inflatables/toys for the children to use. This was my fifth time to Florida (3rd time for my husband and children) and it was the best hotel so far we have stayed in. Brilliant location and right on the doorstep of Walt Disney World. I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends. Light Maid service was daily and a complete change of sheets/hoovering was carried out on a Wednesday. We had a king sized comfortable bed in the master room with bathroom and the children had a queen sized bed each with their own bathroom. Lots of wardrobe and drawer space. The staff were very polite and friendly - even the maintenance guys. We viewed lots of hotels before making a decision and it was thanks to TripAdvisor that we picked the Staybridge Suites at Lake Buena Visita as it has glowing reviews - I can now see why! If you are travelling on a budget - this would be ideal as you could take full advantage of the free breakfasts and meals of an evening - all you do is leave gratuity. Lots of restaurants within walking distance - and a huge Walgreens opposite for holiday essentials. We took advantage of the free Internet use in the Games Room - and the children loved playing the arcade games. Also a launderette on site and a shop right next to the reception desk which stays open all the time. I cant praise this hotel enough - I would definitely stay there again it was lovely and a shame the holiday had to end!

3  Thank mickeymouse68
Reviewed June 6, 2008

Party of 2 adults and a 6 year old stayed here for one week in May'08. Our flight from Dublin was delayed and by the time we got to the hotel we were under pressure to make the 9pm performance of La Nouba . Check-in was very fast. In and out in less then even 5 minutes with the staff answering some questions for me. I always like a quick check in.

Our 2 bedroom suite was a good size. Full size fridge, microwave, dishwasher and cooker. Plenty of towels, replaced daily. Large TV in main room and one in each bedroom. Beds were very comfortable. Ample parking.

The morning buffet was fine. Not a lot of change from day-to-day but you don't have that at home anyway. We were very happy with it. The hotel provide disposable cups, plates, bowls and plastic cutlery if you want to take your breakfast on the run. We availed of this a couple of times.

Free Wi-Fi seemed to be available everywhere. Rooms have wired and wi-fi. It's a nice option to have this free. I am not a fan of charging for internet access.

There is a banner in reception displaying that Staybridge is listed as one of the top 10 family hotels in Orlando (or something similar) I heard one of the staff mention this to a potential customer who dropped by, they seemed to be proud of this. I got the impression that the staff were generally proud of the hotel. I take this as good sign.

Location wise the suites are close to everything. One tip when going to the Disney parks other then Typhoon lagoon, Downtown Disney or Cirque is to go via I-4. There is a entrance to Disney less then a mile away via Hotel Plaza Blvd but having to stop for traffic light every couple of hundred meters put me off.

There is a 24 hour Walgreen's right across the road from the hotel. There is a large walmart within 5-10 minutes drive. When you are coming out of the hotel on to the main road, turn left and drive straight for 2-3 miles it's on your right (pass under I-4).

For what it is. A mid-range spacious family friendly suite complex that is comfortable and safe close to all the attractions, I would give this 5/5.

One comment my wife made was that the Laundry was very handy but a fold-up clothes airer would be useful in the room.

2  Thank joe201
Reviewed May 28, 2008

Stayed at the Staybridge for 4 nites in May in one of their 2 bedroom/2 bath suites. The rooms are clean/comfortable & quite spacious. The Staybridge is within 10 minutes of the Magic Kingdom & Hollywood Studios and about 15 minutes from the Universal Parks. They are within minutes of many restaurants; drug stores; supermarkets; gas stations; dunkin donuts; etc - it's very conviently located. Included with your stay is a hot breakfast every morning - usually eggs; bacon & waffles....It's really a great value!
The biggest drawback for me was that although they replenish the towels & make the beds every day the room was not cleaned during our 4 nite stay (I don't believe they actually clean the room & change the sheets unless you're staying longer than a week). Not a big deal as we didn't spend much time in the room but it was a negative.

2  Thank Jersey717
Reviewed May 26, 2008

We stayed here May 22-25, 2008. This is a great place to stay if you need the "suite ammenities". We chose a one bedroom suite. It had a king bed, one bathroom, a kitchenette with stove, refriderator, toaster, microwave, and sink. The living area had a sofa bed and tv, and also a dining table area.
Our boys slept on the pull out just fine. They are 6 & 9 but if they were older we would have opted for the 2 bedroom.

We only ate out "nice" one evening and twice lunch in Magic kingdom & Blizzard Beach. The rest of the time the kitchen came in handy and we were able to have snacks, drinks for the kids and for us adults grabbed some beer from winn dixie next door, and sandwich stuff for the rest of the time.

The bathroom was a little cramped, it needed about another 2 feet of space in there. It also needed a new shower head, but I find that in most hotels. If they would just stick to a plain ole shower head and avoid the fancy shower massagers they would work better and longer. Other than that it got us cleaned just fine.

Breakfast was pretty good and got us to a great start. Eggs, bacon or sasauge, yogurt & granola, cereal, juices, milk, coffee, soda, waffles, muffins, bagels. We arrived late and did not stay during there BBQ evenings but it sounded good.

We did not realize how booked the hotel was until our last day when we decided to sleep in (9am). We like to get to the parks early. There were alot of eople at breakfast that day but everything flowed just fine.

Pool was small but we were there for the parks not the hotel pool. There was also a hot tub.

Very close to DT Disney (5minutes). Close to all of Disney. There was shuttle service to all of these. I did notice that animal kingdom had only one pick up and return but the rest had multiple times. Saved on parking fees!

If you are going to universal there is no shuttle service, but I would reccomend a closer hotel to there anyways. I think there is another staybridge closer to that.

The hotel staff was ALWAYS smiling and actually seemed like they liked their job. Very nice and willing to answer any questions.

We used our reward points to stay but the price is resonable compared to other hotel in the area plus you get breakfast, a kitchen, some shuttle service, and a suite.
We would definately stay here again even if we did not have points to used for our stay.

Oh I have to tell you this....One day after going to the Magic Kingdom when we got back into our room, our room was not only cleaned but my son's favorite stuffed animal was proudly set up on the pull out bed waiting for him. They posed him so cute. Disney hotels (All Stars) do this kind of thing with the stuffed animal you buy. So it was a nice touch.

2  Thank ThisFloridaFamilyof4
Reviewed May 23, 2008

We stayed for 1 week in early May and loved our stay. I had done an enormous amount of planning for the trip, and was really happy with this place. If you're not staying at any of the Disney hotels, this is a great choice as we found that the hotel is never more than 10 minutes away to any of the 4 WDW parks. You can walk to Walgreen's (across street) or Winn-Dixie (next door). As well, the suites are nicely laid out and although they are not super large - they are more than enough room for a family of four. In fact, our 2 bedroom had a king size bed and 2 doubles, as well as 2 bathrooms, 3 T.V.'s, in-room safe and kitchen with full-size fridge, stove, m/wave, dishwasher and toaster. We found the rooms clean and nicely decorated/furnished.

You can request a room right around the pool, but I don't know how noisy it might get (I think the pool is open quite late). Our room was still facing in towards the courtyard but was at the other end opposite the pool, and we liked that just fine as we could easily get to our parked car. However, even though the hotel was operating at full capacity, it was never noisy or overcrowded. Bear in mind there are no elevators, so if you bring a lot of luggage, you may not want to go higher than 2nd floor.

The included buffet breakfast was deliciious! There's a waffle making station (yum!), and they always offer an egg dish (scrambled or omelette), meat (bacon, etc.),cereal, yogurt, granola, fruit, coffee, OJ, and cake, donut or muffins. You can choose to eat either inside or out (or in your room!), and the outside courtyard area is very tranquil and pretty. The pool and surrounding area is large and has a tropical-like feel to it. The hotel has a handy business center as well with free Internet.

There's also a manager's cocktail reception 2 or 3 nights a week (I think it was Tues, Wed & Thurs evenings) and the offerings are pretty generous. They had chicken wings, salad, veggies/dip, beer and wine one night when we were there.

Overall, this is a great hotel for families, couples, friends - anyone who wants a clean, comfortable stay with a great buffet breakfast included. Excellent value for money - I'm very glad we chose this one.

3  Thank Sonia T
Reviewed May 21, 2008

In preparing for my family's Orlando stay, I picked the Staybridge on the basis of many positive reviews. I am sad to say I now understand why some reviews were positive, while others less so.

The benefits of this hotel for us were its location, which is handy to WDW, many restaurants, a pharmacy, and supermarket (walking distance for all but WDW). Other value-added services included the buffet breakfasts, manager receptions (3 times weekly) guest laundry (nominal fee), complimentary newspapers and shuttles to shops and WDW, tidy pool area and grounds, and willingness of staff to respond to issues brought to their attention.

The drawbacks we experienced was a room that desperately needed more regular maintenance prior to guest check-in. For example, we were met with carpets that turned our feet/socks black within moments of walking on them, a toilet that would not flush/drain consistently (2 maintenance calls during our stay alone, problem still occuring on check-out), a moldy/mildewed shower head, curtain (a fresh one provided on request), toilet tank filled with mold, a moldy air exchange system, and rumpled bedding that appeared "enjoyed" by the previous guests.

We appreciate that cleaning staff in most major hotels have 20 minutes or less to prepare a unit for new guests to arrive, but if you have health issues, such as sensitivities to molds, mildews, or dust mites, this is probably a hotel you want to avoid until the management works out a better maintenance schedule. Think I am being too fussy? Check out what the Centre for Disease Control has to say about exposure to molds and mildews. Offering us a portion of our stay costs back, while acknowledgement of a problem, did not fix the underlying issue, which is the need for better maintenance of the rooms, which I suspect is not unique to this particular property.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family