“Perfect Peabody”

Hyatt Regency Orlando
Ranked #28 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 7, 2009

This was my second trip to Orlando in which we stayed at the Peabody Hotel and it won't be our last.

Perfect location on International drive with an 'I-ride' trolley stop straight outside the hotel, + included with our stay @ the Peabody we received free I-ride pass for each day of our stay so we were able to travel for free our entire trip.

Also it's location is a short walk from Pointe Orlando which has a selection a nice shops & restaurants.

Great location and a great hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Orlando

Reviewed June 17, 2009

This hotel is right across the road from the convention center & ideally located if you are attending a congress (which we were). The rooms were of average 5 star size with 2 double beds. Internet access was free. The breakfast was not included but it was reasonably priced at their diner. The restaurants were all pretty good especially the Italian. A very friendly hotel to stay at especially if attending a convention.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ppmac
Reviewed June 9, 2009

The Peabody is an expensive hotel but while pricey, the service is outstanding!! Beds were great I felt like I could sleep for a week, pool is super, and the food is good as well,but again it is $$$$$.All staff extremely courteous, and helpful, remebering names,etc. I would stay again. The only small complaint I had was the pillows, they are so soft, they don't give any support,but other than that, they are A++++++

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Simplycuban
Reviewed April 29, 2009

The hotel was clean and overall very nice. However, everything was VERY pricey. I was there for a conference and because the hotel was so unorganized, it took us 6 (SIX) hours to check into our hotel room. The line literally wrapped around the lobby. There were several other hotels in the area that had no problem checking in, so this was completely inexcusable. They did refund us one night's stay but the damage had been done.

Also, the hotel boasts that it is across the street from the convention center, make sure you know what area of the convention center you wil be in. The main one can be kind of a long walk for those that may be a little older.

Overall, the hotel was clean and we had no problems the rest of the time; however, the hotel left a very bad taste in my mouth - I will NEVER go there again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank NaptownChica
Reviewed April 24, 2009

My wife and I spent five nights at The Peabody wile attending a conference at the Convention Center. We made reservations on the last day of the 2008 conference, hoping we would receive our choice of room in 2009. I realize that hotel bookings made through conference planners are usually hit-and-miss, but we were disappointed to learn that our room request was changed from a king bed to two double beds. The check-in person offered us a king upgrade (at additional cost), which we declined. I told her that I'd accept a free upgrade, but she was not amused. In hindsight, I should have asked for a manager to upgrade us. We asked for and received a room with a pool view. After reading about the construction at the hotel, I didn't want to have to listen to construction noise at the beginning and end of a busy day. The only time we heard any noise at all was while sitting around the pool. Even then, it was no big deal.

We were in room #2142 -- high enough to see the fireworks from Disney in the evening, although we were occupied with business dinners and didn't get a chance to see the fireworks.

The room was a nice size, with adequate closet space and plenty of hangers. The in-room safe was large enough to hold my wife's jewelry, my laptop, and my camera.

The furniture was a little dated and showed some wear. The carpet had several stains. The hotel is undergoing a major renovation of guest rooms (although we saw no signs of such activity), and our room had yet to be redone.

The bedding was new, nice quality and very comfortable, as were the firm mattresses, which we prefer. There were plenty of pillows for watching TV and comfortable sleeping.

A large armoire housed the old 27" CRT-type television (refurbished rooms have flat screens). There is also a 10" LCD TV monitor in the bathroom. There were four drawers for storage (barely enough for two people staying five nights), as well as a minibar (which should be avoided because of its high prices).

The bathroom countertop showed signs of wear, as did the separate vanity area in the room, which my wife used for make-up, etc. The counter in the bathroom is very narrow and is really too small for two guests to share. There was one sink. The faucets were a bit tricky and you could find yourself doused with water if you're careful in turning them on.

The shower's water pressure was adequate, with plenty of hot water for two showers. The bathroom was clean, but there was some mildew visible on the tiles surrounding the tub.

The room also contained a small desk, with a lamp and telephone. The lamp had two AC outlets, convenient for plugging in your laptop and cell phone charger.

There was a small, comfortable chair, but it showed some signs of wear.

Housekeeping did a nice job of cleaning the room during our stay. Wake-up calls came right on time.

We used the outdoor pool and hot tub a couple of times. They were both very nice. There were plenty of lounge chairs and towels. Drink service was available and the servers were not at all aggressive in pushing the (overpriced) drinks.

When we had time, we had breakfast at a nearby Denny's and IHOP. The hotel's B-Line Dinner was very expensive and several people complained about the slow service.

We met friends and colleagues in the large lobby area for late cocktails on two of our five nights at the hotel. Service was slow, but the place was quite busy. A pianist/singer provided a pleasant background for conversation.

The service at The Peabody was top-notch, with a friendly and helpful staff. Although many reviewers here complained about
the valet parking, I never had to wait more than 10 minutes to have my car delivered to the front door. You could even call from your room and the car would be ready and waiting when you got downstairs.

The Convention Center is located directly across the street from The Peabody, so it's very convenient for conference attendees.

Overall, I'd give The Peabody 3-1/2 stars, at least until they finish construction and renovation of the rooms. I'll probably opt to stay at the nearby Rosen on my next visit, if I need to be close to the Convention Center. If you have access to a car, both the new Rosen at Shingle Creek and the Ritz-Carlton offer superior (although more expensive) facilities.

There are plenty of places to eat along International Drive and on nearby Sand Lake Road. Upscale shopping and outlet malls are also nearby, but in current economy, vacation shopping is no longer a recreational pursuit for most of us.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank John F
Reviewed April 18, 2009

Spent 3 nights at the lovely Peabody this week. In my opinion its one of the best in Orlando and certainly the best on I drive.
As the hotel is mainly used be people at conferences it had a lovely, quiet and calm atmosphere with lots of space around the pool in the day.
Nothing to complain about except perhaps that the public rooms in the hotel and the restaurants were freezing = warm clothes required.
Lots of people complaining about the $20 parking fee. We left our car in the car park at Pointe Orlando. Only a 10 min walk away and faster and cheaper than the valet. They charge $6 per night but if you leave in the morning before the shops open there's no charge - ideal if you're going to the parks. We also got a validation sticker from one of the restaurants in Pointe Orlando so ended up not paying anything at all.
Overall a great place to stay - my daughter loved the ducks and watched all the duck parades - none of us wanted to leave. The only place to stay on I Drive and when the extension is completed it will be even better.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank karensolihull
Reviewed April 17, 2009

My visit to the Peabody Orlando was for a weeklong conference. I wasn't disappointed. This is a 4-5 star property, with the facilities, services, (and prices) to match.

Other posters have lamented the $20/night valet parking fee and extra "resort charge". With 150+ people in our group, we were able to negotiate these rates into our package. Other larger groups might want to look into this before booking. Outside of this, the rooms were spacious, clean and modern with some great views. (Ask for an upper-floor, west-facing room to view the Disney and Sea World fireworks displays.) Most striking is the attentiveness and sincere friendliness of all staff; front desk, bellmen, concierge and restaurants. All in all a great stay at a higher end hotel. I'd be willing to return as a tourist to take advantage of some of the facilities that our schedule kept us from enjoying.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business