“Poor service and 700 dollar "hold" on my account!”

Hyatt Regency Orlando
Ranked #27 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Enfield, Ireland
“Poor service and 700 dollar "hold" on my account!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

It's my first trip to Orlando. I did a lot of research into where to stay and as we were staying with our young daughter over Christmas we wanted a really nice hotel. I booked the Peabody, but got the Hyatt....they seem to be 2 different hotels.
At check in the girl asked for my credit card for security. I told her I had a debit card. I assumed she was taking my card number etc, instead she took $700 off my card without prior explanation or permission. I told her it was unacceptable and to put it back as you can't "hold" $700 on a debit card, the cash just comes off. It's a disgraceful policy and as someone in the hospitality trade there is no reason to hold that amount of money. To take that amount without permission is racketeering!!! It took 4 days for them to put it back!!
I did not book breakfast, an oversight on my agents part but was willing to pay for the service. At $55 per person per day I thought better of it!!
Our room was nice, nothing exceptional but comfortable. Cleaning is modest though. I came back to pillows on the floor, used pillow covers left on bed, no toilet roll left in room and the same piece of gum under a glass for days.
This was not a cheap hotel and I would have expected a lot more. This trip cost a lot of money and we were more than happy to pay it for quality. This hotel has been a real letdown and I will never stay in this or any Hyatt again. I should have gone to the Rosen!! I have friends traveling over in March and I will be telling them to avoid this place!

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Ciarab78
Jose P, Manager at Hyatt Regency Orlando, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Ciarab78,

My sincerest apologies for the experience you describe; I can assure this is not the level of service we are accustomed to providing. I will be researching this further with our management team to ensure our communications and standards are maintained.
I do hope you will give us an opportunity to show the level of service Hyatt is known for on your next visit to Orlando.

Sr. Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (945)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Hyatt Regency Orlando for five nights. This is a really clean and fresh hotel perfect if you are a couple of have kids.

The pool area is really nice and there are pool equipments to borrow. The main pool is good for toddlers since it's not stop right away. Also there is a kids pool, a pool with a waterfall and an outdoor jacuzzi.

We tried three of the restaurants (The B-liner for dinner, Napa for breakfast and Fiorenzo for dinner. Our favorite was Fiorenzo where we had a perfect host for he night. Unfortunately we don't remember his name, only that he was Turkish.

We could definitely recommend other people to stay at this hotel!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Tanja,

Thank you so much for your recommendation of Hyatt Regency Orlando.
I will be happy to share your kind words about Gokhan, the server at Fiorenzo Italian Steakhouse and look forward to welcoming you when you return to Orlando.

Director of Rooms
Shalimar, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

This was our third December in a row for a mid month 4 night stay. I truly loved the Peabody and was very concerned with the change in ownership. I needn't have worried-it is still a lovely hotel. It was great to see so many familiar faces as so many of the staff have stayed. I don't have anything but compliments for the staff. Always have stayed on the club level and this time we were on the 26th floor. The club lounge has really upgraded the food but I was disappointed in the wine and beer selection and feel that their could be room for improvement there. There is only 1 red and 1 white (chardonnay) to chose from and not being a chardonnay fan, I would have liked to have had more choice.
Our room was clean, large and a corner room so great views. Mr. Pastrana, Sr. Director of Rooms had left a gift basket full of goodies in the room along with a friendly "welcome back" note which was really appreciated. I do miss the ducks, but the great service that started with the Peabody has followed into the Hyatt. Plans are to be back again next year!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bethany B
Dear Atlcollie,

I am happy to read you received the welcome note! Thank you also for your kind words on our associates, I look forward to sharing your review with them. I will also be sure to review the selection in the club lounge to see how we may improve that experience.

We look forward to seeing you again next year!

Sr. Director of Rooms
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at this beautiful hotel to celebrate our
36th Anniversary. When we arrived on Saturday, Anna, at the front desk
upgraded our room and took care of parking fees for us. Later we were treated to a bottle of champagne. We have stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions, when it was The Peabody and the only difference is the ducks are gone. Thank you to everyone for making our stay wonderful.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Patti G
HRORLANDO, Manager at Hyatt Regency Orlando, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Thank you for your excellent feedback. We appreciate that you took the time to write about your stay. While we aren't able to continue the tradition with the Ducks due to it being Peabody's tradiition, we hope we made our mark with Service and amenities!

Please come back and see us in the near future.

Best,
Brian C.
Hotel Manager
yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

We stayed for five nights from the thanksgiving weekend and without a doubt this large hotel is exceptionally beautiful and the staff were helpful and polite. We travelled as a couple for the first time - family now grown up so fully enjoyed and appreciated the little luxuries and high standards of the Hyatt.
The good - The room was great, with an extremely comfortable king sized bed. Loved the little night lights under the tables and the bathroom, appreciated the luxury of having a tv in the mirror and the soft towels. We enjoyed the view over the pool, but sadly did not get to use it as the weather was not great. Location is perfect, just five minutes walk to point Orlando and many restaurants.
We received free wifi and car parking, so grateful not to incur any extra charges, and the chocolate covered strawberries one night... A romantic touch for our anniversary.
But... Would like to say, the reason I chose the Hyatt (Peabody) was for the duck march and bathroom amenities... For many years, the Peabody was on my bucket list but with a family, cost was a factor... This end of an era happened a few weeks before our arrival and I was so disappointed.
The bad - Did not like the lack of toiletries in the bathroom... The few items that were there, looked cheap. Then there was a list of items you could call down for as you needed them.... Sorry, that's so wrong... The Hyatt is a top hotel, guests should not have to pick up a phone for essentials that are supplied as standard throughout any three star plus hotel... And wait for the delivery....and the dollars for a tip.
my review is a true reflection of a Hyatt but its feels anonymous without the special touches that made it unique like the Peabody.... It needs to find its own identity...by pampering its guests to the Peabody standard...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ppmaiden
Dear PPMaiden,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hyatt Regency Orlando, and for such a special occassion. We are delighted to have been a part of your anniversary.
Thank you also for sharing your experiences during your visit; I assure you we will be reviewing your comments in regards to the bathroom amenities.
We look forward to welcoming you back - and hope the sun will cooperate on your next visit to Hyatt Regency Orlando.

Director of Rooms
West Palm Beach, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

I stayed at this hotel last Saturday. i thought i had gotten a great deal on a great room. i was overcharged by 70 something dollars and I'm still waiting for someone to get back to me because their accounting department is apparently on vacation. not to mention valet is posted as 20 but they charge you 26. and it literally took 25 minutes for them to retrieve my car with no one else there waiting. the property is beautiful but I've been stuck in a week long fight over the charges to my account. i will never stay here again or any other Hyatt for that matter to avoid the hold on my bank account. i wish the Peabody still existed, this wouldn't have happened and if it did happen, it would've already been resolved. if you stay here, be prepared to spend a lot more than you bargained for.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank malyna23
Dear Malyna23,

I apologize for your most recent experiences at our hotel; it does not represent the level of service we are accustomed to providing. I hope you will provide us with an opportunity to restore your positive opinion of our hotels once again, please feel free to reach out to me directly to share further details so I can assist in expediting the resolution of your account.

Director of Rooms, Hyatt Regency Orlando
Perth, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

The pools and spa are lovely and the treatment I received was divine: 80 minutes of sugar scrub, heated mud and massage. Thank you Gina for making my trip so relaxing! The pool staff could not have been nicer. The orchids and other tropicals are amazing as is the decor throughout.

All of the services were excellent, the room immaculately clean and a professional, friendly staff. I felt a little like Bill Murray in Lost in Trasnlation - a giant hotel with efficient staff at every turn, each one saying hello. The rental car staff by the orchid pond were extremely helpful as well. Thank you for a most pleasant stay. Love the trolley service!

We had a cocktail party and two dinners in the conference level below the lobby and the food was exceptional.

Room Tip: We were at the room closest to the elevator but never heard a sound. There are plenty of elevators s...