“Large room; hotel next to convention center”

Hyatt Regency Orlando
Ranked #29 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Large room; hotel next to convention center”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

This hotel is very handy if you need to be at the convention center (as I did). It is what you would expect from a decent hotel: friendly check-in, sizable room, clean bathroom. Nothing stood out, but there were no low points either. Some decent restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ChrBrd
MarshallKelberman, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Orlando, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear ChrBrd:

Thank you for your review of The Peabody Orlando, I enjoy hearing from our guests and hope we will be your preferred choice for accommodations when returning to our area for business or pleasure.

Director of Rooms, The Peabody Orlando

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (964)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

We ended up booking this hotel on a fly when we visited for a weekend. We live in Tampa and venture over to Orlando frequently. We always try new hotels because we couldn't find one that we like. I would recommend the Peabody to anyone! We went as a couple but families and groups would be great as well! Rooms are cozy but spacious, bathrooms are nice. Definitely booking this hotel from now on.. Looking forward to going back! Walking distAnce to restaurants and clubs! Booked it on hotels.com for $50 less than pea body's site.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Katie I:

Thank you for your review and recommendation of The Peabody Orlando for both business and pleasure. I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel and to becoming your home away from home in Orlando.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed at the Peabody for 3 nights and chose the Club level which is floors 26 and above. I highly recommend the club level. The breakfast spread is good if you like European continental. The evening spread is creative with cold and hot foods - while not a full dinner, it will meet your needs. I never made it to desert as it is from 8:30 to 9:30pm (it should be later in the night). The Club also comes with free valet parking which saved the day with my in and out travels each day. Normally, valet is $26 per day. The room is very comfortable especially the bed and temperature. The system is quite and you can't hear the cooling or heat which is terrific. The water pressure in the shower is light and we had difficulty with hot water which was disappointing. Turn down service was basic with some chocolates. The spa is very nice with outdoor hot tubs and locker room hot spa with sauna. The fitness center is one of the best I've seen. The pool area is spacious and I highly recommend a private cabana rental - seats 4 with your own TV and beverages. Price is very reasonable for half or full day. Overall, the staff was very friendly in all areas. The only aspect that turned me off was during breakfast at club level. The meal ends at 10am. I saw folks getting their food around 10am and the wait staff began clearing the buffet table while folks was standing. I thought that was just poor service and judgment - that would never happen at the Ritz. The location is close to Universal and Disney. I would return only at Club level and hope I don't arrive late for any meals.

Room Tip: Ask for 26th floor close to the Club Lounge. Rent a cabana by the pool.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MaryJim2468:

Thank you for staying with us at The Peabody Orlando. I’m glad you enjoyed our comfortable accommodations and the added amenities offered with the exclusive Club level booking. I appreciate your feedback on your Club level experiences and throughout the hotel and hope we will have the pleasure of being your host when your travel plans bring you back to Orlando.

swansea
Reviewed July 1, 2013

we have stayed here twice itis one of my favorite hotels,beauty full rooms very airy and loads of room kids have an a room a ajoining rooms which is really nice,
lovely food and wine this is a must if you are going to orlando even if its just for one night you are central in idrive the iride stops right out side for you too they have every thing you need in this hotel and the duck walk in the morning is great for the kids to watch we will be going back again very soon we stayed there for 3weeks in march cant wait to go back in october.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Joanna G:

I am delighted we have earned your business and a 5 star review Joanna. Thank you for your continued patronage, I look forward to welcoming you back in October for another great stay.

Orlando, FL
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We can't wait to go back!

My fiance' and I decided to spend a night here spontaneously. We got a great last-minute rate and packed a bag immediately. Living in Orlando, we love taking advantage of all the resorts nearby, but ironically have little patience for tourists traps. One thing we noticed immediately is that since this is a convention hotel and farther away from the main theme parks (Disney and Universal), it seems to be more adult oriented, although that's not to say there weren't kids and it was certainly family/kid friendly. My guess is that Disney-goers just choose to stay closer to the parks. This is a win for us.

Service was impeccable and we did not run into one unhelpful or rude person. Our server at the B-Line Diner seemed less than thrilled to be working, but although she wasn't the friendliest, the service was still there. We opted for the diner to save some money (being a last minute trip and all) and the food was great. We are looking forward to trying the Capriccio Grill next time, as well as Napa.

We had a room in the Mallard Tower. I'm not sure if this is the new tower that everyone has been recommending, but we loved it. We had a high floor overlooking the adult pool. It was spacious, with a separate hall/bathroom area from the bedroom which we liked a lot. The bed was very comfortable and we both slept like babies, albeit we did get a little hot even with the a/c set to 65 degrees. We usually have that experience in most hotels though, with hotels beds using down comforters that create a furnace like experience nowadays. After reading some reviews, it seems you can request a fan which we will certainly do next time.

As far as complaints go about expensive amenities, etc, well consider where you are staying. This is a higher-end hotel in a convention area in a city whose primary revenue is tourism. If you're looking to save, you might want to consider a Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express. Both wonderful hotels for budget-minded people.

Everything was immaculate when we were there, and it was relatively quiet. Granted, it was one of their slower weekends, but that was perfect for us. We are looking forward to staying again soon!

Room Tip: Higher floor
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MarshallKelberman, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Orlando, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Kimberly1017:

I am delighted to know that our impeccable Peabody service earned your 5-star review. I appreciate your business and invite you to visit our webpage to sign up for email communications on our special offers and I look forward to seeing you back at The Peabody Orlando soon.

san francisco, ca
Reviewed June 29, 2013

stingy. stingy stingy stingy. stingy. i can't emphasize the stinginess of this supposedly higher-end hotel. absolutely stingy.

the peabody has installed a variety of motion-sensored devices. officially, it is a "green" initiative, but i refuse to accept this as the whole truth, especially when they could have implemented green devices that didn't cause the heap of troubles that their devices caused. i will never be convinced that the peabody's measures aren't just miserly cheapness in green clothing.

the peabody is an orlando hotel. an orlando *florida* hotel. as in, a hotel that is in a city that was built atop a swamp in a rainforest of a climate. orlando gets hot and humid, i mean to say, especially when it is summertime. despite this, the peabody has chosen to make the air-conditioning unit motion-activated. the thermostat is on a wall over some furniture and facing away from the bits of the room that a person might occupy, which means that you have to lean over furniture to wave your hands in front of it. this motion activates the unit for 5 minutes, at which time you have to stop what you're doing, walk over, lean over the furniture, and wave your hands some more.

hey! guess when a body is at its least active. when it's asleep! this means that, when you finally turn into bed, exhausted from an evening of leaning and waving, the air shuts off and the room returns to its initial stuffy, 78-degree temp (hotter if you've just showered or, i imagine, as summer progresses).

after my first night of little and restless sleep in that sauna of a room, i called down to the front desk to ask if there were anything i could do to keep the air on. at that point, i was willing to believe that it was a mistake on my part -- that i just hadn't been able to see some blindingly obvious way to work the air properly. of course a high-class hotel wouldn't expect the thousands of people who stay there each night sweat it out. nope! the woman at the front desk confirmed that it was motion sensored and that there was nothing i could do about it. then she told me to stay right there and that maintenance would be up straight away. 2 hours later, no maintenance. when i called down again, there was no answer.

it wasn't until the overnight staff arrived that someone finally helped. the overnight concierge (she was awesome and i am a jerk for not writing her name down) apologized for the daytime staff and assured me that "night shift don't play like that." within minutes, maintenance was up in our room, performing some sort of override that would keep the air on for exactly 8 hours.

my husband and i were never awakened by our wake-up call; our wake-up call was the moment that pur room hit 76 degrees -- typically before 8 am.

there were other problems, but the air conditioning problem was so overwhelming that it isn't particularly worth the trouble to type them out.

i am giving this hotel 2.4 stars, which rounds down to 2. one star goes to the very helpful, very efficient overnight crew. they were truly fantastic -- a figurative (as well as a literal) night-and-day difference from the flighty, unhelpful morning crew. one star goes to mia in the spa (nice lady, fantastic mani/pedis) and the wonderful people who make up the afternoon/evening valet/parking garage crew. the 4/10 of a star goes to the seriously-overpriced-but-also-very-delicious cheeseburger on the overnight room-service menu.

having lived in orlando for a decade, i knew the peabody's reputation and was actually excited about my peabody stay. now i know to give it a wide berth. checked put of the peabody and spent my last night in orlando at a jenky-looking radisson near disney world that ended up being far more comfortable -- certainly cooler.

Room Tip: if you want a good room, go somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
MarshallKelberman, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Orlando, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear john-and-kira:

I regret the discomfort you describe but appreciate the opportunity to follow up with my team and investigate your experiences. I want to assure you that guest comfort and quality service is a priority for us and that I take your concerns seriously. I am pleased to hear that our concierge, Mia at the spa, and the room service cuisine were to your liking and hope you find those indicative of the reputation you previously heard of. Should you travel back to our area, I hope you will consider our hotel for your accommodations as I am confident we will regain your trust in our abilities to exceed your expectations with the standards of service established for The Peabody Orlando.

NJ
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stayed at The Peabody for a wedding. The hotel gave me the wedding reserved price for the time I was there. The hotel employees were so nice and helpful. They couldn't do enough for you.
I stayed for 6 days and during that I ordered turn down service which is part of the hotel fee you pay. You get chocolates on your pillow, a robe laid out, and bottled water at your bed side along with turning down your bed. Pretty cool.
The hotel is something to see! I walked around to the conference center and I was amazed how large this place is.
The room was large and had 2 windows to see out to the theme parks. I loved it. The main thing for me was the TV in the bathroom mirror! Really, do we need this, no, but it was so neat!! The bathroom wasn't that big to see the TV from the toilet or shower, but you could listen while you were in there. It was a great thing to experience.
The wedding was beautiful! The room was decorated very nicely and the lights that they used made it very soft and romantic. The reception was again with soft lights, table settings that kept the color theme. The food was over the top! I ordered the Filet Mignon and I am so glad I did! You did not need a knife to cut it and it was so moist. Everyone at the table raved about it.
Now about the bars and the cost of the drinks.
I feel in love with a Signature Cocktail. The drink was $14.91. Oh but it was good, real good. Just what the bar bill at any of the bars.
I loved the pools, the walking in helped so much with a relative that wasn't steady on his feet. They have a kid section, a water fall pool, a hot tub and a water slide for the young at heart. You can't use the water slide unless it is maned and it wasn't until the weekend.
And of course don't forget the ducks. We were able to see the walk twice and watched a duck lay an egg!
I would stay there again for the right price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear happytotravel127:

I am delighted we had the opportunity to host your family for such a special event. Thank you for sharing your Peabody experiences with me, particularly our employees that were so nice and helpful. It will be my pleasure to share your feedback with our team who made your stay memorable. We invite you to follow us on Facebook and Twitter, where we would love to share with you our recipe for your favorite handcrafted cocktail so you can enjoy your Peabody memories at home! When traveling back to our area, I hope The Peabody Orlando will be your preferred choice for hotel accommodations.