“As Good As It Gets”

Hyatt Regency Orlando
Ranked #29 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I just came back from a 4-night stay at the Peabody Hotel while attending the Photoshop World 2013 conference (April 16-19). I stayed in a Loft room (Room 12522) on the 25th floor, and I was by myself. I am 55, female and an experienced traveler.

ACCESS TO THE OCCC: Overall, this is a magnificent hotel and conference facility. The covered walkway over to the Orange County Convention Center is ideal, particularly if it rains. This is a big hotel, so put on your walking shoes, folks. After a long day of sitting through classes, the walk to and from the hotel was a welcome relief. Allocate 10 to 15 minutes to get from your room to the meeting rooms at the convention center. There are other hotels in close proximity to the OCCC (the Hilton and another one right next to the Hilton), but I believe that the Peabody was the only one with an attached covered walkway.

MY ROOM: My room was average size, not huge, but roomy with a desk, a coffee/vanity area, a comfy chair for extra seating, and 2 queen beds. The view of the convention center and the beautiful, large pool was fantastic! As an added plus, I could see the fireworks at the Magic Kingdom in the distance.

There was a nice nook next to the TV for my suitcase and enough room to stash my duffle bag. There was an iron & ironing board, an extra pillow, and an in-room safe, which I am happy to say was large enough to store my 12-inch Mac Air and 2 small cameras. The mini-fridge was located in the cabinetry underneath the TV. I had no trouble finding enough outlets for my iPad, iPhone, and laptop. If my husband had been with me and we were sharing the room, there wouldn't have been enough outlets. The large umbrella in the closet was a very nice addition and a real convenience for guests.

The automatic floor lights underneath both the nightstand and the bathroom counter were a very nice touch! Also, the in-mirron remote-control TV in the bathroom was very cool, and I used it every night when I took a bath. I appreciated the spa bath salts that were replenished each day. Shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, bath soap, and a cute little duck-shaped souvenir soap were all of good quality and did not dry out my hair & skin. The tub & shower were clean & new. The large rain shower head was quite nice. The spa robe & spa slippers were soft and cozy, as were the towels. The bed & pillows were comfortable, as well.

This hotel provides 2 bottles of water every day as part of the room package, which is a very nice amenity. Also, there is a complimentary wine (1 glass or house red or chardonnay) and a nice cheese & crackers spread for the Loft guests every evening between 5-6 p.m. Complimentary bottles of iced water, coffee and cookies are available every evening in the lobby for weary travelers and guests.

IN-ROOM COFFEE: I agree with everyone else about the in-room coffee supply. There was 1 tea pod, 1 hazelnut pod (ick) and one plain coffee pod, which is not adequate for the average coffee drinker. I've learned to check ahead and find out what kind of coffeemaker is provided in the rooms. A lot of hotels are converting to K-pods from the old Mr. Coffee style mini-pots. I check ahead to see if they have K-pods (Keurig brand), and I buy a box of 10 Starbucks dark-blend K-pods (readily available at Safeway & Target) to pack in my luggage. I've stayed in hotels where they charge for each individual pod, but the issue is solvable if you just BRING YOUR OWN. Having said that, you only get 4 teaspoon size half-&-half containers in the room each day, so either bring powdered creamer with you, or request extra half-&-half from room service. I scoured the hotel looking for freebie half-&-half (none at the B-Line coffee condiment table), and I couldn't find any. So, the answer is to bring your own pods & creamer, or leave a note for the maid to leave extra packages of coffee condiments in your room. Or, call room service and simply ask them to bring up a dozen extra creamers.

TEMP: My room was a little warm, especially when I first arrived, and I wasn't quite sure how to adjust the temp. After a long day traveling and after long days at the conference, I wanted to come back to a cool room. I was on the southern-west side of the hotel, so my room got hit with pretty intense afternoon sun, and the black-out drapes did a pretty good job of blocking the heat. It's not like it takes a rocket scientist to figure out a thermostat, but it looked like it was set on an automatic setting of 73 degrees, and although I could adjust it down, I wasn't sure if it was cooling efficiently, or not. I could have called downstairs about it, but it wasn't that big of a deal because the room was comfortable most of the time. If it had been summer, and I was staying for longer, I would have called.

NOISE: I could just barely hear the elevators during quiet times of the evening, but I could really hear whatever was going on in the hall outside of my room. I could hear other guests coming & going from their rooms. But, the rooms themselves are pretty sound-proof. I couldn't hear any next door noise from TVs or conversations.

ROOM SERVICE & IN-ROOM DINING: Great service, prices were reasonable for room service, delivered within 30 minutes, and the food was excellent. I highly recommend the pizza place!

TIPS: I tipped the morning maid and the evening turn-down maid ($5 per). I also tipped the shuttle drivers ($2 per trip). I tipped 20 percent for room service.

HOTEL DINING: The B-Line Express counter is okay, but if you want fresh food, go to the Coffee Etcetera counter just down from B-Line. I got fresh fruit and yogurt there every morning. Fast & efficient service there, as well.

PRINTING YOUR BOARDING PASS: I was able to print my boarding pass at a computer terminal & printer that was available in the wine & cheese area upstairs on the 26th floor. If you're not in the Loft rooms, there is a business facility in the hotel. Just ask the concierge about it.

IN-ROOM CHECKOUT: It is a huge convenience and a big timesaver to be able to check-out using the in-room TV guest account services. My bill was slipped under the door the night before I checked-out, and I was able to settle up the next morning on the TV monitor.

AIRPORT SHUTTLE SERVICE: Plan on an hour to an hour and a half from the airport to the hotel. Mears runs the van service to all of the hotels on International Drive. I purchased my round-trip ticket when I made my hotel reservations online. You print your voucher, then check in at the Mears counter on Level 1 to get your round-trip tickets. If you've ever taken the Disney Magic bus to the resorts, the check-in counter is in the same location. But, you get a van, not the big motor coach. Be sure to check the pickup time on your return ticket. Mine was incorrect and had my pickup time at 8:45 pm. rather than 8:45 a.m. The woman at the Mears counter brought it to my attention and told me to call the number on the ticket when I got to my hotel to correct the time, which I did. You need to confirm 24-hours ahead of your pickup time, so do this anyway. The van was about 20 minutes late picking us up, so add an extra 20-30 minutes to your return schedule.

The pickup area at the Peabody is not in front of the lobby. It is located outside of the Mallard lounge where the duck fountain is. Go through those doors, and there is a MEARS SHUTTLE sign to the right along the sidewalk. That's where you wait. One passenger got there just in time because she thought the shuttle pickup was someplace else. If you're not sure, ask the concierge desk. Also, if you are traveling with your family, and you have a lot of luggage and gear, mention it when you confirm your return reservation. The vans only hold so much!

THE PEABODY DUCKS: Don't miss this! It's super cute, and it's a hallmark of the hotel. They come in at 11 a.m. and go back to their duck "palace" at 5 p.m. I got there about a half-hour early and just waited at one of the tables while I had yogurt & fruit. There was a pretty good crowd there by the time it started. Expect kids and families. Kids are well behaved, and the duck master is there to maintain order and safety for the little ducks. It is a lot more crowded in the evenings, especially when a new conference rolls in. It's packed because there is a bar right next to the fountain, and it's a great place to sit and have a drink while waiting for the duck show to start.

OVERALL: This is a fantastic hotel and convention facility! I'd definitely recommend it, and I plan to stay there again.

Room Tip: Pay the extra to stay in the Loft if you are traveling as a couple or by yourself. The views are sp...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
MarshallKelberman, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Dear dontstealmypen:

I appreciate your detailed review of your experiences with your accommodations on The Loft at The Peabody Orlando and value your feedback on our products and service. I am pleased to read you describe our hotel as a fantastic hotel and convention facility and thank you for your recommendation of our hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back to The Peabody Orlando when you make plans to stay with us again.

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Orlando

Reviewed April 20, 2013

The Peabody does not offer coffee in the room. Instead they advertise free coffee in the lobby. First of all, that is inconvenient. Second, who wants to go traipsing through the lobby of a hotel before showering and getting dressed? So our first morning there I went down at 9:30am (we checked in after 10pm, we were on vacation and so we had enjoyed the hotel bar till 1am) only to discover that the free coffee service ends at 8:30am. Next morning we didn't wake up till 9am so I did the same thing. Our third and final morning I went down at 8am, at this point I was on a mission to get my free coffee!!! I finally found the unattended coffee cart tucked into an alcove created by the entry to a bar only to discover that the coffee dispenser was EMPTY. The nearest staff person was a desk clerk who gave an eye roll that said it all, "not my problem." Also frustrating was that I should not eat processed sugar or flour products. Their Coffee Express has tons of delicious looking pastries, 14 different fruit juices, but no apples, bananas, or oranges. In the end I spent $20 each morning on two cups of coffee and two oatmeals in a container (which I probably shouldn't have eaten because of the sugar, but was pretty good) at the coffee shop.

Other than that, the place is GREAT! Wonderful warm and friendly staff otherwise, beautiful room. But at the end of the day, a hotel is only as good as what it promises and delivers.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
MarshallKelberman, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear boltonguy518:

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate the opportunity to hear your concerns and want to assure you that it is valuable as our management team discuss product improvements such as our coffee options. I am delighted that all other aspects of your stay with us was great, particularly our friendly staff. When planning a return trip to our area, I hope we are fortunate enough to welcome you back to The Peabody Orlando.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed here recently for a conference. My room was on the 19th floor of the 2nd (newer) tower. Had a great view of the grotto pool. Very comfortable bed. Loved the automatic floor lights by the bed and in the bath when I had to get up at night. Pool was nice, though I wish there was a way to screen out obnoxious people. One horrible family in particular, but I guess you can't necessarily screen out trash upon check-in. Very nice housekeeping staff. The little fridge was convenient to keep cold drinks for all hours. The concierge folks were very nice, knowledgeable and helpful.

My negatives are basically the same as everyone else's. Having to go downstairs for a cup of coffee early in the morning is ridiculous. All hotels of all levels have in-room coffee makers or the Euro-style water kettles nowadays. You need to fix this now. You advertise free coffee in the AM, but if there is a conference (or twelve!) going on, you have to get there early or it's gone! And room service is too expensive just for coffee. And the fitness center should be included, though at least you're not charging for the pools or pool towels.

Overall, it's very nice. Convenient to the trolley and Pointe Orlando shopping and restaurants.

Room Tip: Apparently high in the 2nd tower is the place to be.

Dear aimoNorthCarolina:

Thank you for sharing your comments on our very nice housekeeping staff and our concierge who were very nice, knowledgeable and helpful. I truly appreciate knowing about our guests' experiences so we can celebrate our successes and address your concerns to better serve you in the future. I will take your feedback regarding coffee to our management team as we continue to discuss product improvements. For business or pleasure, I look forward to our next opportunity to welcome you back to The Peabody Orlando.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stayed at this property with my mother and my daughter who was 3.5 at the time. The overall property is absolutely beautiful. Watching the ducks march is a MUST! Having a TV in the bathroom mirror made bath time for my daughter more fun. I also really liked having the lights that are motion sensor at night on the floor. The diner there has very very good food and is open 24/7 which makes it convenient for late night meals after a theme park. I really recommend staying at this hotel. The only real downfall was the parking fees. around $15-$20 to park in the parking garage. The $10 resort fee wasn't too bad considering I have paid much much more at other hotels.

Room Tip: Higher floors give a better view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
MarshallKelberman, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Dear TheCurtis5:

Thank you for staying with us at The Peabody Orlando. I appreciate your recommendation of our hotel. We are currently redesigning the resort fee you mention, we will provide ala carte options that I feel will better serve the needs of both our business and leisure guests. When considering a trip back to Orlando, I hope we will have the opportunity to host that return visit.

***For the incident skip to paragraph 3***

I arrived at The Peabody Orlando one Friday evening and was impressed by the grandness of the hotel. On arrival, the valets and bell hops were very attentive, courteous and well organized; before I knew it, I was whisked away to the elegant hotel lobby and was checked-in all in one fell swoop. After a few moments of taking in the elegance of my environment, I found myself in a plush room with modern amenities. Had I not come to attend a conference, I would have gladly spent more time enjoying the inviting amenities sprawled throughout the grounds of the hotel. With my belongings packed away and the conference winding down, I was ready to head back home.

Overall, I was leaving the hotel with a great experience. Both Napa and Capriccio Grill had exquisite cuisines complete with inviting ambiances. Housekeeping services were not intrusive and left the room as when I first stepped foot in the door. I witnessed the famed march of the ducks and took in the euphoric ambiance created by the smartphone camera flashes emanating from the hands of the smiling hotel guests. I knew I would be happy to come back to this home away from home.

Or so I thought.....

On my way out to the front desk I decided to grab a quick appetizer at the Mallard Lobby Bar just in front of the Peabody Duck Fountain- where I knew I could find the hotel's feathered friends pompously meandering about their oasis one last time. As I approached the bar one particular duck (let’s just call him Mr. Mallard for our purposes) stood out from the group as he was the apparent leader of the flock. After sitting down and sorting through the bars afternoon offerings I unconsciously ordered the chicken tenders without giving much thought about the pristine mallards swashing about the fountain just behind me. In retrospect one could make the argument this probably wasn't the most appropriate selection given the circumstances and suffice it to say Karma woke up on the wrong side of my bed that morning.

Within a few minutes, my meal arrived and I happily dug in, enjoying the pungent taste of the stinky blue cheese sprinkled over the spicy chicken -tenders. Not surprisingly, after finishing off the first fillet I was left with an unsettling feeling. I realized that here I was devouring what could have been one of Mr. Mallard's cousins! Chicken tenders?! Really?!.... How cruel and insensitive of me! In a moment of hesitation and dismay, I swung around and gazed toward the ducks in a plea of forgiveness, but by then I knew it didn't matter. The damage had been done and Karma was joyfully frolicking alongside Mr. Mallard as though they had been playmates since birth. I was screwed. I immediately swung back around to push back my plate and there it was… A wretched, belly-up dead fly in full spread eagle sprawled across my lettuce garnish.

Karma’s hard hand of justice slapped me across the face and I had no one to blame but me… and of course the Peabody staff in charge of food prep. I was appalled and yet didn’t feel like causing a ruckus given my surroundings entrenched in the sense of irony. It probably also didn’t help that my flight was going to leave within a couple of hours but none-the-less, I had the meal removed from my bill. The bartender was apologetic but was conveniently on his way out for a shift change. He did not offer to bring up a manager as he probably saw the look of indifference of my face but in reality I was trying hold back the sudden urge to burst out in laughter. I ended up notifying the front desk person on my way out.

It's a shame that I had to knock service, value and cleanliness a few notches over my very last experience at the hotel. But an experience at a hotel is part of a chain of events that is only as strong as its weakest link.

Pros: Look and Feel of the place. A good laugh from my experience at the bar.

Cons:

SERVICE: Bad under extreme circumstances. None of the 3 bartenders knew what to do in the above scenario. One simply apologized and left during the shift change. The other two stood at the ready with blank stares as though preparing for a volley of complaints from my direction. Neither of them offered to bring a manager for inspection. Lucky for them, I was in a good mood.

BAR FOOD: Who knows where that fly came from, but god help them I hope they do a little more food prep inspection before someone gets sick.

FOLLOW UP: I left my information at the front desk on the way out and I have yet to receive a call for explanation or assurance that the matter is being looked into.

Room Tip: Only 'Loft Level' rooms have in-room coffee makers.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
MarshallKelberman, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear TheSanchy:

Thank you for sharing your stay experiences with me. I certainly appreciate your positive feedback but sincerely regret your visit did not end with the same high level of service you enjoyed during your stay. I apologize for any discomfort along with the oversight to follow up as expected I want to assure you that we are committed to Peabody Service Excellence, I will share your experience with the appropriate areas so we may review all practices to ensure our product and service standards are met. I value your business and hope we will have an opportunity to host your next visit to Orlando so we may exceed your expectations from arrival to departure.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

This is one of those "one thing really irked me so I'm going to give a 2-star review to a 4-star product."

Almost a premium property...it's not a Claridge's in London, but nice. Great location for conferences, service is what you'd expect from a business hotel that sees thousands of people a day, rooms are relatively spacious and (almost) well appointed...but, god forbid that you want a convenient cup of coffee or newspaper. Complimentary papers are at the bell stand in the lobby...coffee is $4 a cup a across the lobby and down the hall. Both require becoming fit for public appearance, and...four bucks for a medium cup of coffee in a hotel where you're paying more than 200 bucks a night...seriously?!?

Room Tip: Pick a room with a convenient outlet for using the coffee pot you bought at Walmart on the way from...
2  Thank Steve S

Dear Steve S:

Thank you for sharing your concerns with me Steve. I apologize for any inconvenience surrounding access to a morning paper and coffee. I value your feedback which and will consider your experience as we discuss our product improvement efforts. When traveling back to Orlando, whether for business or pleasure, I hope you will consider The Peabody Orlando as your host hotel.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

The Peabody is just like any other over-priced resort hotel. They nickle and dime you to death. There was state sales tax, county occupancy tax, OCCCD surcharge, hotel/resort service fee and hotel/resort service fee tax, a $10 a day charge to connect to Internet in your room, a charge to use the fitness center (in a resort hotel?). No coffee/tea maker in your room, and a cup of tea costs about $4 for a large but you only get one tea bag, for $6 you can get 2 teabags (Lipton). Very nice pool area so don't forget your bathing suite. There's a refridgerator in your room so go to the nearest grocery store and stock up. Snack food is priced outrageously in the hotel store.

Room Tip: My room 10904 on the 9th floor in the old tower overlooked a lap pool and the convention center. It...

Dear Sunshine19518:

Thank you. I appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns. Based on guest feedback, we are developing new options for internet and fitness center services that I feel will better serve the needs of both our business and leisure travelers. We also continue to use guest feedback when discussing in room coffee with our management team. I regret any disappointments with your stay and hope you will consider The Peabody Orlando for your accommodations when visiting our area again.