“Our Peabody Duck Stay”

Hyatt Regency Orlando
Ranked #28 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We recently stayed at the Peabody on International Dr. This is a very large hotel with nice accommodations. We did not however get to stay in the new tall tower that was recently finished, however I believe that the rooms are close to the same no matter which tower you are in. The one nice thing in the room which we experienced and had never seen before is the TV that is in the bathroom mirror. It is built right in and you can watch TV through the mirror. There is also a really nice floor night light that automatically comes on when you enter the bathroom say in the middle of the night. They have two large pools however there is more activity at the pool that has the waterfall and children areas. We did eat in the "diner" area of the hotel which was nice for breakfast. Of course this comes with an attractive price tag as well. We also watched at 5:00pm as the ducks come out and do their evening walk which drew a large crowd and was enjoyable for everyone. A must see at least once during your stay. This hotel is situated close to all the nearby attractions and there is an array of quality restaurants all around this area for a variety of different foods. The rooms provide a sample of shampoos and conditioners as most nice hotels do but I thought it was cute that they have a small bar soap in the shape of a duck. I asked the morning maid for an extra one to give to my grandchildren which she happily provided. I really did appreciate that. My only complaint was that I didn't think that at this time of year the hotel was so crowded that we couldn't have received a room with a view that say is overlooking a pool or some of the sights instead of rooftop air conditioners and an empty field. This was a business trip and not being the one "in charge" I didn't feel I had much say about room selection. This is truly a beautiful hotel though.

Room Tip: New Tower Northwest side has best view of Pool area.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
MarshallKelberman, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Dear Sweepygolf14:

Thank you for your review of The Peabody Orlando. I enjoy knowing that you enjoyed your stay with us along with our unique 70-plus year tradition – the march of The Peabody ducks. I hope we will be fortunate enough to welcome you back to our hotel and that your grandchildren will be a part of this visit so they too can enjoy this special event. I look forward to seeing you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Orlando

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Whilst travelling back from our 5 day cruise our driver informed us that the Peabody was the best hotel in Orlando, and he was right.

Although its huge its still got lots of nice features which make it feel special. The staff were great and we loved the big shop which we visited late evening for snacks.

The pool is great and has lots of sun beds so you can soak up the sun. The restaurants are nice although a little bit expensive so we headed out to sample what the other restaurants had to offer.

My husband loved the tv in the bathroom mirror, I had read about it on other reviews and wondered what it would be like and what the fuss was about but it is cool.

If we had to think of something negative to say it would be that we would of liked some transport from the hotel to the parks, we had to get taxi's which was expensive.

All in all we had a fab time and will defo recommend it to our friends,

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear siwan30:

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Peabody Orlando, I’m glad to know that your Peabody experience will be a part of your honeymoon memories. I appreciate your review and recommendation of our hotel and hope that we will have the opportunity to host your future celebrations.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Having stayed in Orlando on many occasions, I have never even considered the Peabody as it is a convention hotel. However, a last minute holiday meant that the usual hotels we stay in (Ritz Carlton/Hyatt Grand Cypress/Hilton) were all fully booked so we booked for four days at the Peabody. Although it is unquestionably a convention hotel (there were at least four going on while we were there) and you feel a bit funny crossing the lobby in shorts and a tee-shirt while everyone else is in a suit , the Peabody is in fact great for a family vacation. The fantastic pools areas are virtually empty for most of the day. The facilities are great (gorgeous fluffy pool towels) with a superb bar and fantastic poolside service from attentive and polite staff. Its position on International Drive is perfect - loads of restaurants, bars and smaller attractions (weird upside down science museum, mini golf etc) are within walking distance or a short ride on the I-Trolley which constantly runs up and down the road. The Napa restaurant is excellent and again the service impeccable with staff who know the menu inside and out and are efficient and friendly without being obtrusive. The B-line restaurant is perfect for kids and serves a great breakfast (enough to keep you going all day!) The room we had was just a standard but was huge and in great condition - I have stayed (and paid!) for suites that were smaller! Housekeeping is efficient and standards of cleanliness high. Two minor annoyances – I agree with other reviewers that the lack of a coffee making facility in the room is a real shame. They can’t need the revenue from the coffee shop that much! AND the concierges are hopeless! Like all the staff they are extremely polite and attentive but they know NOTHING! On the first two days, they were unable to tell me how far away the town of Kissemme St Cloud was (and apparently unable to check on one of the many computers in front of them); told me that Gatorland (a very popular attraction) was over 60 miles away and would cost over $80 in a taxi when in fact it was less than 10 miles away and cost $25; did not know whether the hotels own Italian restaurant, that had been closed the night before for a function would be open that night (in fact they did not know it had been closed at all!) and could not help when I asked about where to find tickets for the Blue Man Group show. It turns out that there is a separate desk in the hotel that does tickets/taxis/attractions etc but it did not occur to any of the concierges I spoke to tell me this! The good news is that the Bellhops know everything and happily answered all questions or if they did not were able to go away and find out! Overall, this is an excellent hotel, with great facilities and staff in a superb location. We will definitely be staying again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank 712anon712

Dear 712anon712:

I am so pleased that we had the opportunity to host your visit and appreciate your interest to stay with The Peabody Orlando again. Thank you for the ability to recognize our bell staff for the level of service they provided you, I am very proud of their dedication to serve our guests.

I was surprised to learn about your encounters with our concierge and value your feedback to have the opportunity to follow up and ensure that each concierge has the knowledge and tools to respond to our guest’s needs.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel when your travel plans bring you back to our area.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Now, we travel around the world and can not remember a hotel without in room coffee makers. I understand that this is an additional source of revenue, but at these rates come on!

I want to awake, have coffee when I want and not have to get dressed and hike from my room to get my coffee. Although I don't agree, this is the norm Las Vegas. Does this torque anyone else off?

Manager indicated that it is due to health reasons. Really?

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank Rick S
MarshallKelberman, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Dear Rick S:

Thank you for your review Rick. I assure you that your feedback is important to us as we continue to discuss product improvements. I appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns & look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel should your travel plans include Orlando.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We weren't really sure what to expect from this hotel as it has such a large conference centre attached to it (for large read huge!), but we really did have a most pleasant surprise. Everything about this hotel is big, and as the room is the most important thing to us, the Executive King room we had was just that. The bed really did make the difference and was as comfortable as any of the top New York ones as were the bedding and pillows. Sleep was easy and we never had any unwanted noise.

The restaurants maybe a few dollars more than those elsewhere, but the service was spot on and food excellent. There are more bars than you could ever really want and it was fun to make my way through the different beers on the menu (in moderation of course).

The overall ambiance was akin to hotels in the Far East which on the whole are also roomy and well run. The climate in Florida also adds to the flavour.

Will certainly stay here again if we venture back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I was allocated to the Peabody as part of a meeting that took place at the Convention center on Interational Drive. I knew it was a good hotel, and in terms of quality, it is probably the best quality hotel that I have stayed in ever on International drive, but certainly the most expensive.
It is a huge operation with two tower blocks, and I estimated about 2000 rooms, but I am guessing and may be wildly wrong: anyway, it was a lot of rooms. The reception was efficient, but the moment I set place on the property, I felt I had entered gratuity land. I know this is more part of the culture in the U.S. than the UK, but as a guests comfort has to be uppermost in the mind of a hotel, then why disturb it. Similarly, I was immediately asked (not offered) if I wanted to upgrade. As I already had a good room, as a single traveler this did not make any sense to anyone except the hotel.
The rooms are excellent with a lot of space, two big beds and places to work. I found the lack of a coffee machine was a minus, but they are in the business of selling stuff to travellers. Everything in this hotel is extra, but they do tell you that shoe shine and internet and coffee from 5.30 to 8.30 are part of a compulsory supplement. I had a package arriving at the hotel, and they charged me $5 for handing to me. I told them that I wanted $10 for receiving it and another $20 for talking to them in a posh English accent, and they did not see the joke. I did not use the restaurants but walked to establishments on International drive charging a fraction of the price, but this was not the view of most of the guests. The bar was always full and there were lots of functions going on, so my view of the revenue flow is unique to me.
One important note is that for a 28 storey hotel, the lifts worked all the time and were rapid and functional. It is a huge hotel to negotiate, and you have to plan in advance if you want to leave as it can take up to ten minutes to get to the front door. If you are actually using the conference centre, allow up to 20 minutes to get there even though it is only across the road.
I did not use the car parking of which there is plenty, but I did use the outdoor swimming pool. This is a long possibly 50 yard pool in the recreation area. It is straight, so that serious swimmers can actually get some lengths in.
The minibar is empty, and the sign says 'feed me'. The television is a big flatscreen, but has the problem that they try to direct you to the pay per view items and it is a multistep process to actually watch television. As others have noted, nice touches are he motion sensor lights that come on at night in the room and bathroom, and the bathroom mirror with built in television.
The ducks are an institution and are a clear statement of what is important in America.
Check out time is interesting, as one finds that all kinds of taxes are added to the bill. Some of these are common like sales tax and occupancy tax, but an unexpected one was a tax for being in the proximity of the Orange County Conference Center. So I asked the checkout girl if you had to pay it if you did not use the conference centre, and she said you did. I told her that the British had once tried to tax the Americans for Tea, and look what happened there. She did not understand.
So my conclusion is a luxury hotel, but really for the convention attenders. Yes, it has holiday makers, but they should have a very good reason to pay the upmarket prices as there are better bargains on International drive, and the internal costs are high.

Room Tip: There are rooms with a good view of Epcot. I had a room in the Mallard tower with a view of a buildi...
4  Thank mgoldman666

Dear mgoldman666:

Thank you for review. I value your feedback and am happy to know that your guest room was comfortable.
Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

OK, I always stay and mid and upper rnage hotels but I must admit, this really impressed me. Truly a feel of luxury mixed with an all inclusive resort. Some really cool things include the TVs built into the bathroom mirrors (Yes, shaving and football at the same time, cool!). There are 2 pool complexes, one for family, the other more for adults and exercise. Great and large workot facilites. Overall, just a great place to stay. The only downside I can imagine is understanding why you are in orlando. While you are within walking distance to Pointe Orlando with some ok restraunts there (movie theaters etc...), you still need to drive just about anywhere else. Now, I was there for a conference at the convention center so for that it was perfect (it connects via a covered skybridge), cant comment how I would have felt about the location if I were there purely for vacation
Other cool things include the parade of the ducks into the fountain everday

Room Tip: THe mallard tower is much closer to the convention center if that is why you are going

Dear Jgold10529:
Thank you for your review of The Peabody Orlando, I appreciate you sharing your stay experience with me and am pleased to know how you enjoyed your guest room amenities along with our recreational facilities. I hope you will consider our hotel when planning a leisure visit to Orlando, as we are centrally located to all the area attractions... or just far enough away from the crowds to relax here at the hotel. I hope to welcome you back soon.