Twenty and more years ago I'd regularly fly down to Orlando to do freelance work, and Nick or Disney would put us up in whichever was the newest apartment complex on the ever-lengthening International Drive. One break from the routine was weekend brunch at the Peabody, head-and-shoulders the most quietly elegant hotel in town.
Well, the hotel got super-sized and somebody pulled the plug on brunch.
Last May and again this February we stayed for a long weekend, both times for weddings and to catch up with the father of the brides. This made us slightly unusual hotel guests--not vacationers or convention-goers. Last May folks in the elevator were in bathing suits, this February, business suits.
We had a metropolitan suite in the new hotel both times, and I highly recommend the ones on the high floors, from which you might see nighttime fireworks from Lake Buena Vista. They have connecting rooms for families.
The good: New pool has plenty of things to do, especially compared to the original pool, which now looks as staid as Mount Olympus. Complete and clean fitness center. Excellent dining right down through the room service. Nice welcome from the folks at the door, even though that welcome gets more perfunctory at the desk.
The unfortunate: Brooklyn Diner, which used to have a fun neon presence as you drove up, now has been pushed inside and has the ambience of a good hospital cafeteria.
The Peabody is in a fine location for seeing Orlando from downtown to Disney, and should work well for families where one parent is here on business. But I miss the old hotel, back before it grew up.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury Resort Close to All the Fun & Adventure! Hyatt Regency Orlando is an iconic hotel located in the heart of everything Orlando, Florida has to offer: theme parks, shopping, dining, nightlife and so much more. We've got something for everyone from two sparkling pools, a waterside & waterfall, a full-service spa & salon, 24-hour StayFit Gym, 7 dining & lounge options, and a customer service driven team awaiting your arrival. What Makes a Seamless Stay: • AAA Four Diamond Accommodations: 1,641 guestrooms and suites, with upgrades including view and club level rooms • Resort Pools: Complete with waterslide, waterfall, splash pad, separate kiddie pool area and cabanas available for rent • Location on International Drive: Guests receive two daily I-Ride Trolley tickets to nearby I-Drive locations including Pointe Orlando, I-Drive 360, SeaWorld and Aquatica. • Enjoy Orlando Attractions: We are minutes from Universal Orlando Resort, Walt Disney World Resort and SeaWorld. • Vibrant Dining: Choose from five Full- Service Dining outlets, two bars, a grab & go and 24 hr. room service. Our pools, spa and sunshine are calling your name. Book with us today to make memories that will last a lifetime. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TravelUp, Hotwire, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Agoda, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and HotelsClick so you can book your Hyatt Regency Orlando reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Peabody Orlando Hotel Orlando
- The Peabody Hotel Orlando
- Peabody Orlando
- Peabody Hotel Orlando Fl