“Times Change”

Hyatt Regency Orlando
Ranked #31 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Twenty and more years ago I'd regularly fly down to Orlando to do freelance work, and Nick or Disney would put us up in whichever was the newest apartment complex on the ever-lengthening International Drive. One break from the routine was weekend brunch at the Peabody, head-and-shoulders the most quietly elegant hotel in town.

Well, the hotel got super-sized and somebody pulled the plug on brunch.

Last May and again this February we stayed for a long weekend, both times for weddings and to catch up with the father of the brides. This made us slightly unusual hotel guests--not vacationers or convention-goers. Last May folks in the elevator were in bathing suits, this February, business suits.

We had a metropolitan suite in the new hotel both times, and I highly recommend the ones on the high floors, from which you might see nighttime fireworks from Lake Buena Vista. They have connecting rooms for families.

The good: New pool has plenty of things to do, especially compared to the original pool, which now looks as staid as Mount Olympus. Complete and clean fitness center. Excellent dining right down through the room service. Nice welcome from the folks at the door, even though that welcome gets more perfunctory at the desk.

The unfortunate: Brooklyn Diner, which used to have a fun neon presence as you drove up, now has been pushed inside and has the ambience of a good hospital cafeteria.

The Peabody is in a fine location for seeing Orlando from downtown to Disney, and should work well for families where one parent is here on business. But I miss the old hotel, back before it grew up.

Room Tip: Metropolitan suites are corner rooms with a small unfurnished balcony. Worth it if you get a high f...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ted M
MarshallKelberman, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2012

Dear Ted M:

I am so pleased that we had an opportunity to welcome you back to The Peabody Orlando after so many years. Thank you for your return business. I am glad you enjoyed your recent accommodations and beautiful views from your guest room and were impressed with out Grotto pool and fitness center facilities. I regret that the new décor of our B-Line Diner was a disappointment to you but thank you for your feedback. We continue to offer brunch on Easter, Mother’s Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. Should you be in our area for any one of these holidays I hope you be able to enjoy your holiday meal with us.

Director of Rooms, The Peabody Orlando

Write a ReviewReviews (5,900)

Reviewed February 23, 2012

Everyday at 11am Donald "the duck Master" escorts down a family of wild ducks from the penthouse suite down a red carpet into the centre of the hotel. Here they bath, feed and sunbath in the delightful surroundings of the beautiful Peabody Hotel. Our daughter Beatrice was honorary duck master and got to help escort the birds. Donald is a truly wonderful man and is full of all the wonderful qualities that disney magic is made off...fantastic time had by all and all ages. contact the hotel if you would like to help you do not have to be staying there either...

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family

Dear cjsutcliffe:

I enjoy knowing that Donald and our team of ducks made a special memory for your daughter. Both Donald and our ducks are a very special party of our team. Thank you for visiting The Peabody Orlando and for your review.

Reviewed February 22, 2012

i love every minute in it ....my two kid girls said they dint want to leave, the b liner is great ;the pool uffff next year im planning to come back with my husband for couple days ....

Room Tip: the view to the pool is beautiful
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 21, 2012

This hotel is top notch in every sense of the word. The lobby is beautiful, and so are the rooms. I stayed for 7 days for a work conference, and when I left my computer cord in a meeting room, the concierge permitted me to borrow a computer cord until I could secure mine the next morning. I really appreciated this, as I had much work to do that evening.

The housekeeping staff was outstanding. The room was immaculate, and the bed was extra comfortable. The towels were plentiful, and the room was cozy overall.

It is a lovely hotel, and I cannot wait to return. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone for business or for pleasure. Watching the ducks every morning was also fun and relaxing.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I was here for a conference, and this was truly one of the most beautiful hotels I've stayed in. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but all the common spaces were really well done, and the rooms were ridiculous. For goodness sake, they had a flat screen TV built into the bathroom mirror. How cool is that? The pool was gorgeous as well - landscaped rock waterfalls, a lazy river, etc. Stylish, non-standard decor, a great fitness center (though they charge for it), and terrific food...... I travel a lot for work, and this place is definitely a couple of steps above the usual business hotel experience. If I were paying for it myself, the price might be a little prohibitive, but wow.....

Room Tip: Stay in the newer tower - better amenities.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ehilgeman
Reviewed February 21, 2012

So, I was debating on whether to rate this hotel a 4 or a 5. More likely, I would give it a 4.5. I stayed at the Peabody over the weekend for one night. Normally I stay at the Hilton, but wanted to try something new. Since Peabody had a good rate, we gave it a shot.

Service:
I would say the highlight of the hotel is the service. In fact for all but one instance, every request I had was attended to. The front desk staff were great. The offer to take the hotel cart from the parking to the lobby was great. The friendliness and the helpfulness of the restaurant and coffee shop staff were great.

Rooms:
I was told that I was "upgraded" to an executive king. I'm not quite sure what the normal rooms are, but the upgrade didn't seem to have the feel of an upgrade. However, as far as the room goes, they were above average. The first room that I was assigned had a great view of the lakes across the street. However, there was a constant noise from the elevator mechanical room that I could hear, even though it was two rooms away. The hotel staff moved me to another room on a lower floor. The room itself was quieter but the view was lost.
The room has some neat features, like the lights under the nightstands to help you find your way at night. However, the second room only had one of these. The TV in the bathroom mirror was nice. I suppose if I spent more time in there, I would have used it more. I will say that the hallways were noisy. If someone was talking in the hallway, you heard it in your room pretty loudly.

Location:
So, the location is great for conventions. Just walk across the street. I'd say, this would be good for Universal and Disney. However, I will say that Orlando has bad traffic at times, and not just at rush hour. So International Drive can be a bit tough to navigate some times. I'm sure the hotel staff can show you the back roads that I used to avoid the traffic. Otherwise, the location is great.

Dining:
I stopped at the coffee shop and they were fine. Good staff, coffee tasted great.
I also went to the breakfast buffet at Napa. I would say this was the only below average experience that I had. The staff were great, but the food was not worth the $22 for the buffet. In fact, I wished I had just gotten a fast food breakfast sandwich instead. I commented to the staff and told them that the breakfast was not indicative of the amount spent, and they were sympathetic and kind.

Look and Feel of the Hotel:
There is a new tower and an old tower. My room was in the new tower and it was clean and nice. The feel of the new tower is marble and retro designs. I cannot speak for the old tower rooms, but the area at the base was beautiful. Very elegant with marble accents. It felt more sophisticated.

The hotel is good. I would stay there again. The basic rooms are not luxury, but they don't charge you luxury rates either. As far as comparison to Orlando hotels, you will enjoy your stay here and I would recommend this hotel as one of the top level hotels in the area.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Beautiful place, friendly staff, great
View of pool. But the service was not so convenient. Everything was perfect except you couldn't call down to have valet ready your vehicle. The room service also extremely over priced.

• Stayed: February 2012
MarshallKelberman, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2012

Dear MrCouture:

I appreciate hearing that our staff was friendly and great, but regret that you did not receive expedited service as expected from valet. Thank you for your feedback and the opportunity to discuss your experience with our valet team.