“Winter Getaway”

Ranked #106 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersGold level
“Winter Getaway”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

My husband and I booked this hotel in January for our MLK weekend getaway to Universal and Disney World. It was affordable, well kept, and it had an Applebees attached to it (which was a plus!) As soon as we checked in we were able to eat and do whatever we needed and then went to our room, which was GREAT! We had a kingsize bed and it was perfect. They also had service to take you to and from the theme parks (also VERY reasonable for Universal $35 round trip including tip).

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chrissy F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
Wellington, Florida
Reviewed July 10, 2014

I'm a long time IHG rewards member. I was in Kissimmee a few weeks for about 5 days. I usually book through the IHG page, but I changed my reservation at the last minute for a day earlier than originally planned. My wife booked the reservation via hotwire rather than the IHG page because she doesn't have my IHG account information. I figured it wasn't a big deal because I've never been denied rewards points from Holiday Inn's in the past for booking a reservation this way, but evidential this particular hotel adheres to stricter booking guidelines, and I was denied rewards points. Yes, I understand their point of view to a certain extent - you often get cheaper rates booking through hotwire or expedia compared to their website, but not by much - and you should still strive to accommodate your rewards club members, who continue to give you business!

It's also the case that most Holiday Inn's give rewards members the opportunity to complete an online survey, or are invited to leave a review on trip advisor for additional points. No one at the checkout desk offered me any such opportunity.

All that aside, the staff there was very friendly and the room was great. The breakfast was also very good and the restaurant accommodations in general were superb. This seems like a very well run place, and I'd probably stay there again, but they aught to be less stingy about giving out rewards points to longtime members.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Orlando-Lake Buena Vista, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Dear evimoore,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It is good to know you like our friendly staff and great breakfast. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service to all of our guests and are happy doing so. I'm sorry for the inconvenience our hotel policy may have caused you. Your comments will be shared with the appropriate departments. We always welcome opportunity to improve.

We value you as an IHG Rewards Club member and we welcome any opportunity to improve.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Miami, Florida
Reviewed July 10, 2014

The room was nice and spacious. I got the two queen bedroom. The hotel was a bit confusing as far the layout and getting around... I got slightly lost trying to get to my room from the front desk and if you don't have your key you can't get into your building. The Applebees restaurant downstairs had bad service. The waitress never returned to our table to gives us the check and I had to get up and ask twice for it. The had a buffet, which was decent. The hotel is really close driving distance to the Disney World parks, about a 10 minute drive.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Irving N
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Orlando-Lake Buena Vista, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear Irving N,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the layout of the hotel prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Frankfort, Kentucky
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Close to both Seaworld and Walt Disney World this hotel has a great setup for families. Kidsuites are available with a small room with bunk beds and a tv for the little ones and a king size bed for the adults with their own tv. The onsite Applebee's offers kids eat free and room service. The childrens movie theatre and arcade offer some activities for the little ones and the pool looked clean. Kidsuite has an in room fridge, microwave, and coffee maker.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 30, 2014

My Fiancee and I stayed at this hotel last weekend on a quick weekend trip to Orlando to celebrate his 30th birthday. I booked this hotel through a package on Allegiant's website. I made the mistake of not reading very carefully and selecting this hotel when I really thought I had selected Holiday Inn Lake Buena Vista where we had stayed before and loved. Oh well. This stay turned out just fine. This resort is definitely not in walking distance to Downtown Disney as stated on Allegiant's site and they do not have a shuttle like HI Lake Buena Vista does, but we actually ran out of time this visit for DD.
Pros: Room was HUGE, Chik-fil-A across the busy highway, free shuttle to Disney parks (albeit 10 minutes late both ways)
Cons: Resort charge, NO conditioner in rooms and super slooowww Wi-Fi.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank KatelynMc
Keith D, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Orlando-Lake Buena Vista, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear KatelynMc:

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. We are glad to hear that the stay went well and will work to make sure your next one finds us even better! Thank you for letting us know that Allegiant has down that we are walking distance from Downtown Disney, although it is possible it is definitely a longer walk than most people would want to take after walking in the parks all day. We have contacted them to review this so that it reads correctly. We do have a scheduled shuttle to the Disney Theme parks and there are a few other options if you would like to go to Downtown Disney as well.
Thank you again for your comments and know that we will use your comments to continually improve our property!

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I'm a Platinum IHG member who stays on IHG properties over 100 days per year.

My family stayed at this "resort" on the last day of our week vacation at Disney World. I was surprised to see cigarette burn holes on the sleeper sofa, but overlooked this issue as simply poor effort and something that would not affect my visit. Hotels charge for this type of damage, but this "resort" chose to let future guests experience the damaged cushions. I stayed in room 581.

Later we realized our toilet would not flush with enough force to remove a few squares of toilet paper. The sink also would not drain in a reasonable amount of time. This problem should have been noticed prior to our arrival at a "resort" property. We called the front desk at approximately 9:30pm, a few hours after check-in, and an engineer was dispatched to correct the problem. The engineer was courteous and repaired the sink and the toilet in approximately ten minutes.

This"resort" does not offer coffee to guests. Yes, we were provided a single serve coffee maker with a whole 2 tiny servings of coffee. No, this is not acceptable. I spoke with the concierge on duty and was told that the only option for coffee at this "resort" is to purchase coffee at the Applebee's in the lobby. I was amazed at his short response, and left the concierge entirely unsatisfied then returned to my room. I've never stayed in an IHG hotel or resort that did not have brewed coffee ready for guests in the lobby. I would be returning to Applebee's for breakfast in an hour or so once ready for the day, but this did not satisfy my need for coffee upon waking. Upon returning to my room my daughter told me that the gift shop had a coffee station with coffee for sale. Perhaps my daughter should inform the concierge of this option so that he could better do his job in the future. I returned to the lobby from the 5th floor a second time, hoping to score some coffee. I was successful in obtaining two cups of coffee for $5+tax. The coffee was weak and hardly flavorful... definitely not worth even 25% of what I was asked to pay. We suspect the same coffee grounds were used at least twice. I was able to get through my cup, but the cup I bought for my mother was wasted as she could not handle the poor taste.

The king bed in our room was comfortable and the hot water for showers was instantaneous and plentiful.

After getting ready for the day we had an excellent breakfast buffet provided by Applebee's.

For a property that adds a fee of almost $12.95 per night to the advertised rate as a "resort" fee, coffee should be available.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Jeremy B
Keith D, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Orlando-Lake Buena Vista, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear Jeremy B:

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. Please accept our apologies for the burn holes in the sofa being missed it is definitely not the standard they we strive to reach. We have addressed this and the other housekeeping observations you mentioned with not only the Director of Housekeeping but also the entire staff to ensure that we are able to improve and exceed your expectations in the future.
The Resort does have coffee available in the rooms as you have mentioned and it is also available for purchase in both the Gift Shop and Applebee's, we are sorry that it wasn't to your liking. The Resort fee provides complimentary gated self-parking, the safe in the room, free local calls, supervised family activities poolside, the family movie theatre and many more items throughout the Resort. We do thank you for your comments and have addressed them with the Upper management and ownership for consideration.

We are very glad that you enjoyed the breakfast buffet in Applebee's and found the King bed in your room comfortable.

New Delhi, India
Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in this property for 4 nights while our stay in Orlando to visit Disneyland. I must say that this property is highly recommended for everyone. If you have kids , take the the kids suite which is room in room for kids with bunk beds. The hotel staff is great , I don't remember the name of the Front Office staff , it was Shannon I think. The check out was smooth. You must stay here if you visit orlando.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Hitesh0743
Dear Hitesh0743:

Thank you for your great recommendation and we have passed your comments on to our team member Shannon! It is great that you loved the kidsuite and we love them too they are just perfect for kids! Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to seeing you again during your future Orlando visits!

Keith D.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Lake Buena Vista
Best Western Lake Buena Vista - Disney Springs Resort Area
Lake Buena Vista
Radisson Hotel Orlando - Lake Buena Vista

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Orlando-Lake Buena Vista? Share your experiences!