“Well run and clean, but quite please”

Holiday Inn Resort Orlando-Lake Buena Vista
Ranked #104 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago
“Well run and clean, but quite please”
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Big hotel property, if your room is in the back, you'll drive to the rear. Upon entering I was checked in efficiently and sent on my way. First experience opening door, I smelled CLEAN. I like that, these rooms seem very clean and smell like it. I like that. Otherwise, I like the nice flat screen with HD feed. Better than average size refrig and the bed was comfortable. Big pillows, almost too big. HVAC system worked well. Small microwave included, hair dryer, iron, work desk and one easy chair. I like the place. Nice hallways and general areas. No free breakfast, you'll go the the Applebees for a $12 buffet. My last night here I went to the pool bar for a drink. What bothered me was the bar tender's loose shop talk about all the problems going on. Apparently another hotel employee was there drinking and the two were going on about the other workers and issues with the broken bar cooler. We've all been there, right? But I really don't want to listen to all the workers gripes. Then the conversation shifted to all the FL cities which rank high on the frequency of STD's. Really? Not the kind of conversation I want to listen to when experiencing a warm FL evening by the pool. I'm sorry, but keep it to yourself and discuss your issues along with society's ills after work hours. Holiday Inn, please discuss this with the pool bartender, she need to nip it. Absolutely ridiculous. You're doing a great job there, but the mouths running on overtime is not pleasant.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Fusebuddy
Keith D, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Orlando-Lake Buena Vista, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear Fusebuddy:

Thank you for all the great comments about our hotel but most of all thank you for letting us know about what we wouldn't know without your help! Please accept our apologies for the "conversation" that you had to overhear while at the Applebee's pool bar. We have addressed it with the Applebee's management to ensure that it is not something to be repeated and they have assured us that they have spoken to their employees about it.
Once again thank you for taking the time to let us know that we are doing a great job and how well you enjoyed the hotel. We look forward to seeing you again for a quieter stay!

Keith D.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Family of four spent 8 nights while vacationing at Disney & Universal Studios. The room was clean, larger than average, quiet. There is a $13 resort fee. The Applebee's restaurant provides basic quality food (nothing to rave about) but children under 12 eat free.No free breakfast. The pool is nicely sized. I had the top floor pool balcony facing room, with the A/C running I did not hear any outside noise. Depending on traffic along interstate 4, it will take 10-15 minutes to get to Disney & UStudios. I would stay again.

Room Tip: Room 612 provides nightly views of the Magic Kingdom fireworks.
5 Thank Practical1234
Dear Practical1234:

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our oversized rooms and pool area. Thank you for letting us know how your stay went and leaving a few great pointers for other travelers. If you would like breakfast the next time you stay the hotel does offer a special breakfast rate and a few packages with breakfast included as well!
We look forward to seeing you when you return!

Jacksonville, Illinois, United States
Reviewed June 19, 2014

We stayed here one night before starting our Disney vacation. The rooms are large and clean. Parking is nice and secure and you do see security at times which is nice. The pool area is amazing and there are plenty of places to eat by either walking or taking a short drive.

1 Thank Illinirog70
Dear Illinirog70:

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay we are very glad to hear you enjoyed the pool so much. We do our best to make sure we can offer a nice price and give you all the convenience of being close to Disney and dinning. Look forward to being able serve you again!

San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 19, 2014

I was really looking forward to staying here because Applebee's is the hotel restaurant. I even paid an extra $11 when I booked the room for the prepaid breakfast buffet. It was not until I checked in that I was informed the restaurant does not open till 7am. In my years of business travel I have NEVER encountered a hotel that doesn't start serving breakfast on WEEKDAY until 7am. Typically the buffet will END at 9am!!! This information should have been given to me especially since I paid extra specifically for breakfast. I doubled checked and there is no information on the website about the breakfast hours.

Since I needed to be at the airport before 8am I asked if I could either be given a credit for the extra $11 I paid or if I could use the breakfast voucher on a future visit. I was told NO that nothing could be done so I asked to speak with the Manager who repeated that nothing could be done.

I hope Holiday Inn spends the $11 wisely because its the last dollar they will ever get from me

The other issue I had with the hotel is that I was directed to enter the hotel at an entrance toward the back of the hotel even though it seemed like there was an elevator much closer to my room in the front. After investigating I realized that this was because the closer elevator was technically in a different building and the way they connected is via the fire escape stairwell and that this is supposed to be locked so non guests cannot enter the hotel. However I found that the door's lock was broken and that ANYONE CAN ENTER THE HOTEL FROM THE OUTSIDE.

I would think twice if you are bringing young children to this hotel

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Richard-94122
Keith D, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Orlando-Lake Buena Vista, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear Richard-94122:

Let me start by saying I am very sorry to hear of the experience you had while at our Resort. Please accept the resorts apologies for the service you received from the Front Desk, it does not by any means represent the service standards and expectations that our company stands for or expects. I have sent you a private message to be able to inquire a few more details so that we may properly address this incident and ensure that it does not happen ever again.

Applebee's hours are from 7AM in the morning until 2AM daily with maybe a few variations caused by the seasonal environment of the Disney Resort area. We do admit that this is a little later than the start of most corporate hotel breakfast hours and we agree with you that we should look at our service times again to ensure that we are accommodating all of our guests needs both leisure and corporate.

The entrance door that you spoke of has been repaired and is working properly again. All ground floor doors to the property do require a guest key for entry for our guests security. Unfortunately as with all mechanical items we do experience malfunctions and work to have them corrected as fast as we can. We apologize that we may have been delayed in correcting that issue.

Thank you again for letting us know about your recent stay and know that we will ensure that all items you have brought up are properly addressed by Ownership and Upper Management.

Paris, France
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Very nice big ,bright,clean, new looking room and bathroom which accommodated 2 couples for a night without feeling cramped. We had a fridge and a microwave too. The only thing we were missing was a couple of hooks with hangers for our travelling and business clothes. We didn't use the pool but the area around was very appealing. Breakfast is at Applebee's within the hotel. Watch out for the $11.99 buffet which doesn't include tea, coffee or juice. You'll have close to $6 added to your bill for coffee and a large OJ! The waitress never announced it would be extra. Admittedly, portions are generous : a jug for the coffee and 3 tea bags for the tea but there was only 2 of us .

Room Tip: We stayed in room E129 which was on the ground level so easy access to the car but was still very qu...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Sophie T
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Its a great hotel that along with giving an authentic hotel experience, also makes you feel right at home. The price is pretty good too, just 149 per night. That's an excellent prive compared to all the services offered here. These include a pool, arcade a small screening area where there children and adults alike can watch their favourite animated movies. This hotel apso offers free breakfast for kids and two adults. Lastly the location is great too. Its located at a fifteen minute drive from the disney and universal parks, to reach which you could either take a taxi or avail the free shuttle service to the disney parks offered by the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank TahaTaha07
Tampa, FL
Reviewed June 10, 2014

I'll start from the top- location is GREAT to the Disney area- we didn't use the bus service.
Check-in- slow service but once helped, things went smooth. Great directions to room, nice personalities.
For my building, you had to walk outside to get to the room (no indoor hallways) I think the others were this way as well. The elevator was a little more dirty than the average elevator but it did the job. The room was nicely decorated and upgraded to current standards- granite counters in bathroom area, flat panel tv, ect... the view wasn't great but I wasn't there to look out the window. The bed was super comfy and the pillows and bedding were clean and fluffy! I love that I was able to sleep here! The bathroom was a little under standards in terms of appearance. There were cracks, sloppy caulking and the drain was rusty in the shower- speaking of shower, the shower curtain was hung too high so it would not overlap the tub causing water to end up on the floor. Also, my shower did not drain normally! I didn't realize this until 10pm after my 2 kids were asleep so I ended up taking a shower with the water level rising to my ankles by the time I was done. It took about 2 hrs to drain so no more showers that night! Check out was a breeze..
Noise level was average like other hotels- you always have those obnoxious people who come into the hallway as if they are the only people in the world. I recommend bringing a sound machine to drown out the extras. Otherwise, I did not hear my neighbors once in their room.
I didn't use the facilities so I can't comment but the water area for the kids looked clean and cute. Kids under 12 were able to eat at Applebees (the one onsite) for free- that helped- A LOT!

3 Thank Ram326
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Lake Buena Vista
Best Western Lake Buena Vista - Disney Springs Resort Area
Lake Buena Vista
Radisson Hotel Orlando - Lake Buena Vista

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Orlando-Lake Buena Vista? Share your experiences!