“Underrated and good value”

Holiday Inn Resort Orlando-Lake Buena Vista
Ranked #93 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed here for 1 night as we travelled a day early to miss the snow, and our booked hotel, Hilton's DoubleTree suites, were full that night. Frankly this is a better hotel than the upmarket, more expensive, Doubletree suites. We paid $139 a night here, including a full breakfast, courtesy of Applebees next door. Also the pool-side bar serves Applebees food too. Free internet and great service. There is a bit of riff-raff here, but you get that most hotels near Disney, most of them English like me! Only one criticism, it should be a non-smoking hotel. People smoke in the bar and pool area and it gets down your throat. Get with it Hilton, make all of your hotels non-smoking!

Room Tip: As high as possible
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for two nights. We chose this hotel because they are pet-friendly. The room was clean, staff was very friendly, grounds were nicely kept. Patrick in housekeeping was wonderful and assisted me when my son had an accident on the bed. The internet worked very well and we never had lost or no signal. I would stay here again if they could fix one thing. The digital/satellite television was horrible. It kept pixelating or had no signal at all. With that being said it really wasn't a big deal but I wanted to report the good and bad.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2014

My husband and I spent four days of our honeymoon at this Holiday Inn Resort back in October and had the most wonderful stay! While the hotel's amenities were more than satisfactory, I must rave about our experience with their staff. On the first night, we had forgotten a few necessary toiletries and made mention of it to the front desk associate, Baiscilla. Within minutes a bag filled with toiletries and even some goodies were delivered to our door! A sweet note was attached and this quality of care was continued throughout our stay. High praise to that young lady--you made our trip so much easier and more pleasant! THANK YOU!

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2014

My wife and I had the unusual experience of spending 5 weeks in this hotel. We are retired, and wanted the winter sun and golf in Florida. We found the hotel to be ideally placed. It is about 400 yards from the I 4 road, which is the main arterial road of Orlando.If you are driving a rental car, you can be at Disney in 5 minutes or Sea World/Universal in 10 minutes.International drive is 5 minutes away. You can walkj to the southern set of Premier Outlets shopping mall. You are 5 minutes from the main toll roads leading to the airport, or the quick routes to Miami or Daytona. If you are a golfer, the expensive Celebration courses are less than 15 minutes away. If you want GOOD, reasonably priced golf, you can go to the courses to the North of Orlando very quickly, and pay as little as $20, but not more than $35 dollars for GOOD quality courses. Yes, you drive 40 miles or so, but you cover the distance quickly, and with fuel at $3.30 a gallon, why worry?
There are lots of different types of eating places very close. You can walk to Landry's Seafood, Longhorn, Golden Corral more quickly than you can drive. Carrabba's is about 800 yards., but probably worth the effort-good service and food
That's the hotel's location sorted-perfect.
What really impressed me about the hotel was the way all of the staff at the hotel were really 'on message' with the customer service ethic. Throughout 5 weeks, neither of us walked past a member of staff who failed to say some pleasantry with a genuine smile. This is a real credit to the management.
There is a small gym, with 3 treadmills and a bike and cross training machine, supplemented by weights. We never had any problem getting on the machines (and my wife is a real gym freak) and is well maintained, with a plentiful supply of towels, cleaning tissues and drinking water.
The pool is well maintained, and quite large, with varying depths up to about 6 feet. The shallow end for children was roped off, and seemed secure. Gates had lockable devices for child safety. We noted that one was broken one morning, but fixed by evening-impressive maintenance!
Housekeeping was exceptionally good. Towels changed daily, beds changed regularly, and drinks accessories replenished as required.
The only micro criticism I have was the high speed wi-fi- if the founding fathers had depended on this to write the Declaration of Independence, the US would still be a British colony, I fear.
All in all, we thought 5 weeks in one hotel may be a little boring, but the professionalism with which this hotel is managed made it a pleasure to be there every day.
It's a great family hotel, but a great place for golfers, and general tourists as well.

Room Tip: Some rooms have balconies. I suppose if you want one, you should ask for it to be in the sun, or not...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JohnLeightonBuzzard
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I used one of my reward nights for a one night visit at the start of Feb. Just prior to our stay we had stayed at another local motel. The rooms were very clean, comfortable and modern. We really liked the balcony overlooking the pool. Parking was easy and close, and despite concern about parking fees there were none for our stay. We spent some time at the pool, it is large and there were a bunch of kids activities, and Applebee’s had a bar that was part of the area. Very nice area, with lots of activities. Two comments on the pool…it was way too warm…so much so that it was uncomfortable. The kids didn’t seem to mind, but I did. They also have the world’s smallest pool towels. Overall this was a good stay, again I used points. I did not choose to stay here for the other nights on this trip as the best price I could find was around $120 a night here, while just down the strip I found a room at a Radisson for $79 that was very comparable. Location is fine, but be sure you find the right Holiday Inn, there are a few in the area and it is easy to become confused.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Massachusetts_Dad
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel and it was great. We went to Disney for a couple days and because I have a dog, I needed a hotel that was pet friendly (since all Disney hotels don't allow pets). This hotel was VERY clean (which is a deal breaker for me if it isn't), quiet (even being on the first floor, by the pool & parking lot), and extremely convenient. It was right off I4, which was extremely convenient going to the Disney Parks. Lots of restaurants around this hotel if you don't care for the Appleby's attached to the hotel. Definitely a place I would stay at again!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Unhappy413
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stayed here for 13 nights with our 3 kids aged 11, 8 and 6 in one of the family suites with 2 bunk beds overlooking the pool on floor 4. We found the staff without exception to be friendly and helpful from reception staff , bell men to cleaners. Special mention must go to Dan in the pool area who kept our kids entertained on down time days away from the parks with activities that gave us a couple, a bit of time where we could relax and know they were having fun. It is in a good location and the shuttle buses to the parks were in the main convenient and on time. We did not have a car and used the odd taxi to bring us back when the shuttles were not convenient or when we went to the outlets as although mentioned on some websites (BA) they do not now run shuttles to the outlets - but one is only a mile or so away. The rooms were always clean and the food at Applebees was great value as the kids always ate free. There is a Chick -Fil-a opposite and a Wal Greens pharmacy a stroll away albeit the road outside is very busy! We have been to Orlando many times but this is one hotel we feel we would definitely want to return to

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Lake Buena Vista
Best Western Lake Buena Vista - Disney Springs Resort Area
Caribe Royale Orlando
#87 of 340 in Orlando

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Orlando-Lake Buena Vista? Share your experiences!