“Great for a budget Disney trip”

Holiday Inn Resort Orlando-Lake Buena Vista
Ranked #83 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 13, 2013

This was a 4-day/3-night Disney trip for my birthday. Picked this property because it was nice enough and close enough for a nice Disney vacation with my girlfriend without having to pay the crazy Disney property prices. As far as the property itself, for what I paid I would give a rating of a 5/5 because it was clean, had a nice pool/jacuzzi, arcade, gift shop, fitness center, Applebees in the lobby open late with GREAT prices for what you'll usually find for a hotel, and it was within walking distance to 7 Eleven and Walgreens. 3 complaints: the shuttle service to Disney was worthless. It barely runs and when it does it leaves early or late and is very slow including several other stops. The first day it was very late picking up and returning home it left early and we missed it. We gave up on that - just take a taxi or pay the $14 (all parks included) per day parking. The wireless internet actually worked, except it was extremely slow. Finally, the main reason I didn't give a higher rating is the same as most negative responses - THE RESORT FEE. I know it can be common, especially near Disney, and I knew about it before booking. However, I will never give a 5/5 rating to any hotel that implements this bait-and-switch scam. If the $12.95+tax fee was for optional services then fine, but if it is mandatory it should be included in the price of the stay. With all of that being said, I would still consider this property for the value and distance to Disney. TIP: If you want to splurge for a full-blown "magical" Disney experience - go for a Disney resort. You feel like you're at Disney even before and after the parks, and they have constant free shuttles to all parks and Downtown Disney plus "extra magic hours" let's you in an hour early to 1 park each day. If you want something nice for a value but don't mind a bit of distance, South I-Drive (near SeaWorld) has the best prices for all of Orlando. I've payed under $100 for 4* hotels in that area at times. A little far for Disney but good for Universal and perfect for SeaWorld.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Taylor B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Orlando-Lake Buena Vista, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Dear Taylor B,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. We are sincerely sorry to read about your negative experience over the shuttle service. Please be assured that all your comments are being reviewed and actions will be taken accordingly. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Write a ReviewReviews (1,930)

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed here as part of a group in March 2013. I really wasn't sure what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is in a great area with many choices for restaurants, shopping, etc. all within walking distance of the hotel. There is a Walgreens across the street, open 24/7 which was a life saver, Chick-Fil-A, Starbucks, 7-11, and on the other side of the interstate there are more restaurants too. The hotel was centrally located - we were 1 exit from ESPN/WWSports and MGM, which were our destinations for this trip. We had 2Q beds, the room and bathroom were spacious and clean. Coffee maker -single cup, didn't care for that but convenient in a pinch, microwave oven, mini-fridge, and free wi-fi!!! Liked the hotel so much I have already rebooked for another trip in May.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We really enjoyed our vacation in Orlando and stay at the Holiday Inn Resort Lake Buena Vista. Our room was very good; comfortable queen size beds, good air conditioning, lovely bathroom, good refrigerator. We appreciated the business center, shuttles and having a connected Applebee's is fantastic. The pool area looked fabulous (didn't use it as our vacation was all about excursions). It was very useful having a convenience store right in the hotel where we purchased water, beer, snacks and the little things we forgot to pack.The staff at the hotel and Applebee's appear to be well trained or just very pleasant people. Everyone was helpful, interested in us and always pleasant to talk to.

We did not care for the hard sell by one of the ladies working the desk that sells excursions tickets (don't believe she is hotel staff). She offered us "reduced rate" tickets that weren't that reduced if we were willing to go listen to a 90 minute presentation at another resort (timeshare). She was being deliberately vague and not answering direct questions.

Other reviews have mentioned the surprise daily service fee of $12.95, I too was surprised by this. I don't knock this hotel for this practice though as they are trying to stay competitive with the many, many hotels that are available in this area. The shuttles alone are worth this fee. I booked my trip through allegiant air and would have liked to have know about this charge at the time of booking but ultimately it wouldn't have changed our choice of a hotel.

If you are planning a vacation and choose this hotel you won't be disappointed, it is very affordable and they work at meeting their guests needs.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I booked the room through booking.com and seemed reasonably priced.WOW was I surprised - went from $230 for 2 nights to $330 upon check-out

The good - room was ok, bed slept good and very close to disney and outlets

The bad - upon check in I was given a room and when we went through the building maze to find it, SURPRISE there was someone already in the room! Had to call downstairs and they acted like I was the one who went to the wrong room. Wanted me to come back down to get the new keys but I had the bellman bring us the keys and went to room. Had an interior and they gave us an exterior with kids screaming up and down the halls right near the pool area. Also, they had free hi-spped internet but we could never get on it and the cell service in our room kept dropping calls.

Thankfully when I was checking out I explained this and they removed the resort fee. I will not be staying here again!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank JenniferFIelds
Keith D, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Orlando-Lake Buena Vista, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear Ms. JenniferFIelds:

Please accept the hotel's apology for your stay not meeting the same high standards that we both expect. The Guest Service Manager has looked into what occured with your check in and they have made the proper procedural changes to prevent it from happeninging again. I am sorry that the price seemed to go up quite a bit but have found that the $230 quoted was for the room only and did not include the 12.5% Florida state taxes or the Resort fee. I am very happy to hear that they offered the courtesy of removing the resort fee for you.

Thank you again for choosing the Holiday Inn Resort and taking the time to leave your comments, they are greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Keith Di Natale
Revenue Manager

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Me and my wife recently stayed at this resort for four nights. The room was great, very clean and spacious. I like that there is an Applebees onsite so this is very convenient if you come back tired from the parks or a long day out. I was impressed with the differnt amenities including the shuttle service to most parks. The customer service is great in this resort. This Holiday Inn definitely raises the bar for a Holiday Inn. The only issue that I found is that if you stay in a room next to one of the many exits, you will get the noise of he door opening and closing. There are many rooms though so try not to stay next to one of those exits. Other than that observation, I would recommend and may come back in the near future to this resort.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 5, 2013

While I like the old Standells song "Dirty Water", I doubt anyone wants brown water flowing from the hotel sink. Unfortunately, that is what happened when I tried to make coffee in the morning, with notably brown water flowing from the tap.

The well documented resort fee is still $12.95. While they do list it on the website, and advise you at check in, I do not understand why they don't just add in the fee. If it is mandatory, then how does having an additional fee lower the cost to guests? It doesn't of course, it just makes the price seem lower so you book it. As for the resort, like many I did not even use it. It looks like a nice pool, with some hot tubs.

There was some positive to the stay. The bedding was very comfortable, and was probably the best part of the stay. The location is fair, in that it is close to Downtown Disney, but certainly not walkable. Traffic makes it difficult to get to, though it is close to the Interstate exit.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank mainetobuffalo
Keith D, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Orlando-Lake Buena Vista, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Thank you for your comments Mainetobuffalo,

I do want to apologize for the "dirty water" that was experienced when you went to make your coffee in the morning. The hotel had made some repairs to improve the water system during your stay and although all is done to try and not have this occur, it is common after a repair to occur briefly as the water system is reactivated. Your thoughts on the resort fee have been received and we thank you for them.

We are very glad to hear that the bedding was comfortable for you and again thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Resort for your stay in Orlando and taking the time to let us know your thoughts.

Best Regards,

Keith D

Reviewed March 3, 2013

I stayed and had a very nicely appointed room which was super clean and well equipped. The pool area was lovely and there were things going on for all the family to enjoy. Handy to have Applebee's right next door. Excellent location for Disney and the I4. Recommended.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo