“Nicely rennovated, but a few bumps...literally”

Holiday Inn Resort Orlando-Lake Buena Vista
Ranked #104 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersGold level
Sterling, Virginia
“Nicely rennovated, but a few bumps...literally”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We got a GREAT deal on this hotel on Priceline (name your own price) for our recent Disney trip. The location is great - right off of I4 and 535 but it can take a few minutes to get in/out of the hotel parking lot due to 535 traffic. The hotel has been completely rennovated, the rooms were sparkling clean. We upgraded to a kids suite for an extra $20 a night and it was well worth it. Our kids loved having their own bunk beds and TV. I understand they also have rooms with 4 bunks. Our bed, unfortunately, had a HUGE hump that went right through your back when you laid on it. We slept HORRIBLE the entire stay. The front desk made an attempt to fix it for us. They brought a new mattress from another room and put an additional mattress pad on the bed. But it didn't help - the hump came from the box spring, which felt like it was reinforced with rebar. Other people in our party didn't have the same problem in their rooms. Outside of that, the room was fantastic. The hotel has a movie theater, an arcade, on-site self service laundry, a convenience store, a nice pool area with hot tubs, a playground and so on. A resort fee of about $13 is charged daily. The Applebees that's attached is not operated by the hotel. Though convenient, the arrangement definitely needs attention. Kids eat free at the Applebees for Breakfast and dinner (you have to get a coupon from the front desk). Dinner is well worth it, but the breakfast is a joke. They only do the 'buffet' they advertise on the weekends, which means a crappy 5 option breakfast menu - it's the same as the room service breakfast menu for the hotel. The one day they did have the buffet while we were there, everything tasted like low quality frozen food that had been re-heated from the day before. It was gross. Applebees also runs a Tiki Bar by the hotel's pool. Unfortunately, during our week's stay in November, it wasn't open at all. Their excuse was that it's 'based on occupancy'. It was Thanksgiving week...the hotel was pretty full. There is a pool table and ping pong out by the pool though, which was cool. They discourage you taking bath towels down to the pool from your room, but I wouldn't listen to them. The towels they offer down by the pool are just bigger than a hand towel. The shuttle service they advertise is not comprehensive. To Disney parks, there is only a 7:30 shuttle or a 10:30 shuttle. The return trip schedule is just as sparse, so check it before you plan to use it! The hotel is just a 5 minute drive to Downtown Disney, though, which offers free parking and shuttles all day long to all the parks. Thanksgiving day, I guess they had a sheet shortage. Our housekeeper tore the linens off of all of our beds around 11am and left it that way until after 2pm because she didn't have any sheets. My three year old never got a nap that day, which made Thanksgiving dinner just SPLENDID let me tell you. All in all, I'd recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a budget friendly, Disney convenient hotel with lots of ammenities. We would definitely give it another chance, despite Applebees poor service arrangements, the bed issues and the housekeeping snafu! It was super clean and the staff were very friendly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank GimmeTradeWinds

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Thank you so much for a great stay holiday inn staff!! I work in hospitality and value great customer service. My experience was beyond my expectations. A special thank you to Drevis Gutierrez for making my two year old son smile. :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

Got this hotel through priceline. $50 bid came to about $70 after all resort fees and taxes. Of you know the Downtown Disney area that is a steal. Super clean from the marble/granite lobby to the game room and guest room. It all looks brand new after its remodel from the previous label of Holiday Inn Sunspree. No free breakfast but there is a nice Applebee's attached and you vouchers for free kids meals. Very close to Downtown Disney and Universal. The beds are very comfortable. Simply put... Next time I do priceline I will once again put 4 stars(you have to over aim when naming your own price to not get a dump on those types of sites) and I will cross my fingers and hope to get the Holiday Inn Lake Buena Vista Resort again.

• Stayed November 2012
4 Thank eaglefreak138
North Miami, Florida
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I booked the room online on the corporate website. I noticed a 'low rate guarantee'. I checked rates on the corporate website later - the identical posted rate had actually gone lower, but all employees I contacted refused to honor the guarantee, and not even the lower price, as the lower price was not located on a competitor website.

We arrived at the hotel late. Front desk staff was friendly and helpful with directions to our room.

Room was in very good condition.

Swimming pool: I was assured the swimming pool at this hotel is heated - NOT heated!!! I notified front desk staff about this, but never heard back from them. The heated pool was a main, contributing reason I chose this hotel over the hundreds of other hotels in the area; needless to say, being lied to is now a contributing factor as to why I will NOT stay at this hotel again.

I participated in the Stay 2 Get $50 promotion via the website. Front desk staff NEVER made mention of it, even upon check out. I had to mention it to the front desk staff, and then I had to wait at least another 10 minutes for the front desk staff to finally return to me with the promotional $50 gift card.

Beware asking for assistance from what appears to be concierge services. The adjoining Applebee's restaurant's breakfast buffet looked like a forgotten memory littered with a few leftover remnants of aged breakfast food, so I inquired about other dining options in the area, only to be high-pressured with an attempt to get me to sign up for a timeshare presentation. The woman never did provide me with any alternate suggestions - useless!

Room Tip: For a very good breakfast buffet, drive South on I-4 to Hwy 192 East ... about 1 mile on the left (N...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank AndrewJ5267
Goodlettsville, Tennessee
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We booked this hotel, believing it to be the Holiday Inn on Hotel Boulevard. We were pleasantly surprised at how accessible it was to everything we wanted to do! We loved being able to walk to tPanera, Carrabas, and the large outlet mall. The rooms were quiet, clean and very nice, and the pool was outstanding. It was a fast and easy drive to the Crossroads shopping area and Downtown Disney.

Room Tip: The pool view rooms were very nice!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Denette B
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We booked this thru Priceline .Once the name came thru I checked the reviews and became concern but that is the chance you take when you use Priceline. Check in was quick and painless except for being informed about the infamous resort fee. They gave us a room on the back side of the hotel in what looked like the older part of the hotel with the outside access that was a hike away from everything (laundry room, front desk,restaurant,etc). The room was typical Holiday Inn- nice sized comfortable room with comfortable beds. Out of two hot tubs-one hot tub was completely down ( with leaves in it) and the other was barely warm and only two jets were working. People that were in the hot tub said this was an ongoing problem during their stay. I informed the front desk that both hot tubs needed attention and the desk clerk said she would get someone out there. We went out to dinner, came back and checked with the front desk who said the hot tubs were working. I went out again and the jets were working but the temp was even cooler than before and I almost froze going back to the room. I called the desk when I got back and she said this was the first she had heard of it. The next morning a fire alarm went off and we started out of the room but a staff member in the hallway with a leaf blower told us it was nothing. A few minutes later ( with the alarms still blaring) another staff member came by and said we needed to leave the room which was okay because we were out in the hallway anyway. The fire dept showed up after about fifteen minutes of the staff walking around scratching their heads and trying to find a way to turn off the alarm. Turns out the staff member with the leaf blower triggered the alarm with his gas blower when the fumes got sucked back into the air system. Thankfully we were only here two nights and the front desk did remove the resort fee because of all the problems but I still would not stay here again if I had the choice. This is now 0 for two for my recent Holiday Inn stays and I have always liked Holiday Inn properties.

Room Tip: ask for an indoor room they are in the newer part.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank zwa7907
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Unfortunately we found this hotel sub-standard and checked out about 15 minutes after checking in. The connecting buildings felt oppressive & dark as did the decor in the lobby area. The king room assigned was tight for space, had an enormous in-room air conditioner and harsh yellow stucco walls. We mistakenly thought this hotel was in the Downtown Disney area on Lake Buena Vista but it's on a major road that never gets quiet. Not long after reaching our room we thought we'd have a better look around to assuage our doubts but in the corridor outside the room we encountered a staff member taking a nap on the floor against a wall. That was the decision-maker and we left for another hotel within minutes.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ohjustpeachy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Lake Buena Vista
Best Western Lake Buena Vista - Disney Springs Resort Area
Lake Buena Vista
Radisson Hotel Orlando - Lake Buena Vista

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Orlando-Lake Buena Vista? Share your experiences!