“After so much anticipation - blah!”

Disney's All-Star Movies Resort
Ranked #140 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We've been coming to the Orlando area to visit the parks for almost 20 years now. We've always stayed at either a Comfort Inn or a similar chain hotel. We decided to splurge a little and stay on property at Disney. We figured we could take free transportation over to the parks and save a little on the parking fee. I can't say that we were happy with the outcome!

The check-in experience was great. Everyone was lovely. We got exactly what we requested - a room close to transportation. We were in Fantasia 8, just next to a large pool, the restaurant and movies-under-the-stars. So far, so good.

But when we got to the room, we were so disappointed! The room was tiny. The carpet, which had a pattern of embossed stars (to match the movie theme) was worn down in all the places where a person would typically walk. You could still see the pattern around the edges of the room, which made the rest of the carpet look old and unkempt. For toiletries, there was one bar of soap and a tiny bottle of shampoo. The toilet paper shredded on contact - the worst you could possibly have! Around the toilet, the floor tile was horribly stained and looked ancient. This was sub-par when compared to our usual Comfort Inn, for which we had typically paid just over half of what the Disney room was costing us!

When we mixed in the exorbitant prices for mediocre food and the many screaming children, it was all just too much. We were scheduled to stay five nights. After the 2nd night, I got on Expedia and looked to see where we could move on short notice that wouldn't cost a fortune. We found a lovely villa rental which cost us $5 more per night, but gave us far more bang for our buck. Now that we have found the villas, we will stay there exclusively from this point on. (I also reviewed the villa if you want to take a look.)

One more thought: I have always been SO impressed with how immaculate the Disney parks have been. I suppose the economy has hit Disney too because I was shocked at how worn the parks looked, with trash in the water features and a few staff members who looked bored or annoyed by park visitors. I have NEVER seen that before! It was so sad! Don't get me wrong - we still had an amazing time! But the standards just aren't what they used to be.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (6,789)

Reviewed October 24, 2012

First of all, I have to say we chose this hotel for our trip to DisneyWorld because it wasn't very expensive and because we loved the idea of giant Disney chracters. These reasons turned out to be just right, and we ended up loving the hotel: reasonable prices, nice spacious room, very nice food court with a big variety of options, free meals and snacks (it was in our deal), kind staff, and of course- the very beautiful Disney design! We actually spent around two hours just walking around, enjoying the different areas and taking pictures. Having said all of that, you need to keep few things in mind: First, as much as you love the giant characters, the standard rooms are in buildings that are not that interestings (I believe we stayed at the Mighty Ducks building that only had giant hockey clubs in front of it- and it wasn't very close to the resort entrance). If you want to stay in a building with better characters and closer to the entrance, you'll need to take a more expensive room (I think that the Toy Story buildings are the most expensive). Second, since this is a good and reasonably priced hotel, many many people stay there and the buses to/from parks and this resort at the start and end of every day are very busy. I think we had to wait about an hour sometimes just to get on the bus (we were there in Nov-Dec 2011). Last, this is a relatively old hotel so the maintenance isn't so great. Our toilet got clogged twice, the second time being a day after the staff fixed it. Overall- I definitely recommend this hotel if you're looking for something fun and not expensive.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank sportnoi
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Sure you could probably stay at a better hotel while at Disney - but you'll pay heavily for the privilege.

The All Star Movie resort has everything you could possibly need at a stay to the Magic Kingdom. Great foodcourt, laundry room, pools and easy access to the bus / shuttle system.

If you are on a budget this is a perfect onsite option.

Would not reccomend staying offsite, the perks that you get by staying at a Disney Hotel are not to be sniffed at. Fast pass meant that we could go on some of the rides several times as opposed to standing in neverending queues.

Ditch the meal plan - it's overpriced and choice is limited.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Dianne M
Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

We stay here when we comes to Disney. We love the food court, food is delicious and fresh. Housekeeping is always smiling and saying hello. Pool is clean and love the gift shop. Check in is easy. Just wish they would update carpets and furniture, kinda old and ratty but I have no other complaints

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank cameronmom
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed here in May, over mothers day. We stayed in the 101 Dalmatian Building due to paying for a preferred room. I would not pay for a preferred room again, it is much more compressed than music or sports. We did express check in, and still had to wait an extremely long time to check in and get our keys. The food court is always busy, so expect a wait there. A plus is that you can send your park purchases to the shop there for pick up. The room is basic, but that is what you should expect with a value, we had 3 adults and the room was an alright size. I would probably try Pop next time.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I really enjoyed our stay at this resort. The only problem I had with our room was the location as we had to walk a long distance to get to the pool and the main lobby, food etc... We had paid for a prefered location and got in a prefered building but still took about 10 minutes to walk to the pool if you went at a good clip. I will say they were very accommodating though. When I mentioned to them that I didn't feel like I was getting my money's worth paying for a prefered location, they offered to give me what I wanted to make me happy. I asked for another day in the parks for free. They gave it to me for our entire party. Housekeeping was great and did their job well. Very nice crew of people working there. I would definitely stay here again if I ever do return to Disney.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The reason why I chose to stay at this hotel was for the four-story Buzz and Woody, which my son adored. That was the best part of the hotel. We had numerous issues from the moment we arrived. The staff at the quick service area had little patience and did not speak politely to several customers, myself included. Once we got to the room, we discovered the items we requested were not delivered (balloon which I ordered online) and bed rails. A Disney worker knocked on the door 5 minutes later, didn't say a word to me, plopped the rails in the room and shoved them toward the bed. Another 5 minutes later, a different worker delivered the balloon for my son. She made it a magical experience for him and a fun memory.

At this point, it was close to 11, so I pull back the sheets to put my son to bed and discover a 6inch x 8 inch area of dried blood spatters at the foot on the bed. Due to it being so late, I put my son down in the opposite bed and called the front desk when he fell asleep. I explained the disappointment of the customer service we've received thus far, the blood on the sheets and the large chunks of wall missing near the door. I explicitly asked to have the manager call my cell phone in the morning, after 9 am. At 12:15 am, the phone rang. It was the front desk manager. Geesh! These people couldn't even take a message correctly!

The next morning I spoke to the manager who did refund our stay for the previous night and switched our rooms. No apology was offered.

The best thing about this hotel is my son got to say 'hi' to Buzz and Woody every morning. But the level of service and lack of cleanliness was enough to turn us off. We won't be spending our money here in the future.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank WiscMom95
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Holiday Inn Orlando – Disney Springs Area
Disney's All-Star Music Resort
Disney's Pop Century Resort
Disney's All-Star Sports Resort
Disney's Art of Animation Resort
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort

Been to Disney's All-Star Movies Resort? Share your experiences!