“Great experience. Thumbs down on the price and photo ban.”
Review of Epcot Divequest

Epcot Divequest
More attraction details
Owner description: Swim with sharks - as long as you have an open water scuba certificate.
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My wife and I did the Divequest dive earlier this year. It was our first dive after PADI Open Water certification. I held off reviewing it until I had more dives (13 now) to have a frame of reference to rate the experience. That said, this was an ideal first dive in that it is so easy and the staff walks you through everything. Their is a good variety of fish but they oversold the diversity with comments like, "You'll see more in this one dive than 20 in the ocean". I don't know what lame dive spots they were referring to but all my ocean dives were similar in variety of sea life. Although Disney has good quantity of fish in the tank, their coloring is not as beautiful as fish we saw in Hawaii or the Keys like heniochus butterfly, parrotfish, and moorish idols. Still to see a lot of fish plus turtles and sharks in one 45 minute dive makes for a good dive experience.

Booking the dive, however, was a complete pain in the butt. It took over 30 minutes on hold to make the reservation. Then over 40 minutes on hold to later add another person to our party. Then over 30 minutes on hold again when we had to reschedule. Over 1.5 hours on hold to arrange a 45 minute dive is pathetic!

Banning cameras is also completely unacceptable, IMHO, for such an over-priced dive. We did two 45 minute dives in the Gulf for $25 less than the one dive at DiveQuest, yet Disney wouldn't allow us to have a camera just so they can hawk their overpriced DVD of the dive afterwards.

In summary, I'm glad that we did it since it was a great experience overall. We had so much fun we considered doing it again but opted instead to dive the Sheridan Wreck in the Gulf of Mexico with Tanks-a-lot dive charters. Frankly, I'm glad we did too because the Sheridan wreck was an awesome dive and an awesome value compared to Disney. If I had to pick one over the other, I think I would recommend the Sheridan dive over Divequest.

5  Thank TheAviatorTim

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I did the snorkeling here last year, but my husband did the diving. Divers and snorkelers go at separate times. This time, we both did the diving, and we both agreed that we got more backstage time last year with being able to look at the dolphins and manatees, and learning more about what they do there with the feeding and things like that. Last year we felt we got more of an experience overall, where they really took the time with the guests.

THE ACTUAL DIVE - (no photography!)

You get about 40 min., and you see a lot in that time. I am a fairly new diver with just over a dozen dives under my belt, but many of the experienced divers said it was one the best dives they did because of all the sealife they were able to experience all at once. You can sit at the bottom and sharks will swim just a foot above your head. It's pretty cool to see all their rows of teeth so up close.

If you have family with you, they can watch you from the restaurant or the main viewing hall. The children get a kick out of watching and having the divers waving at them.

As stated under the restrictions on their website, they do not allow you to take your own camera, but don't fret. Like everything Disney, they monetize memories, too. They have a videographer to film the dive, and you can purchase it for $25-$35. Sorry, I don't remember the exact amount. The good thing is that all proceeds go to conservation efforts around the world.

ANOTHER COUPLE KIND OF GOT PLAYED (and shortchanged)

Another couple who was diving was pretty late. It turned out it wasn't their fault at all. They were scheduled for a later time, but Disney DiveQuest called them and convinced them to come in earlier and told them that way, we could all have a longer dive. It turned out they scrambled and busted their behinds to rush over for the earlier time (as they said) just so the DiveQuest people could finish their day earlier. We had a bottom time of 38 minutes. They advertise a bottom time of approximately 40 minutes. So no extra time. Of course I'm not complaining about not getting extra time (we got what we paid for), but I didn't think it was right what they did to the other couple with making them rearrange their own schedule and miss all of the backstage stuff so that the Disney staff could get out earlier. They didn't get all they paid for. Part of what they advertise with DiveQuest is the backstage tour. This is the exact wording from the DiveQuest page: "Epcot DiveQuest lasts 3 hours, and you’ll spend approximately 40 minutes on your actual dive." Not a very professional stunt. Other than that, the dive staff were very friendly and nice.

2  Thank CalJackJD
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Met at the front of the park expecting a big group only to find there was only 3 of us in this slot. We were then given a backstage tour of the facility which was interesting as you learn about all the work that goes into looking after the fish in the aquarium (which is huge) and the rehabilatation work they are doing for the injured manetee's, then its of to get ready.
Arrive at the changing rooms to find a locker with your wetsuit, shoes and towels in ready for you, once you have these on its a short walk back thro the inside of the aquairum where all the public are looking at the fish in the tank (some very strange looks as we walk thro in our wet suits) up a flight of stairs to the top of the aquairum.
Once there all you kit is sorted and ready for you and its time to go and have some fun.
We went of for a guided tour around the aquairum for around 10 mins were we swam up thro some coral and thro a small swim thro then it was of on our own.
You are able to swim right up to the aquarium windows and interact with the people looking in which was really good, my 2 children loved seeing daddy in water and were able to follow me around parts of the tank which they had great fun, then it was off to watch the people having dinner in the resturant of which some seemed very surprised to see diver's in there.
The sharks are great and they swim by really close (Inches away) along with the large Eagle ray and there is an abundance of other fish as well, a 45 min dive to remember.
I would like to say a big thank you to the staff who showed us around the aquarium and exhibit as you arfe doing an excellent job.
What a great experiance and a definate must do if you are going to Epcot/Disney, you can book it thro the Disney site just give them a call.
You must be a certified diver to do this and you must take your card, cost approx $180 but you also get 10% off for PADI.

7  Thank Matt P
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This is a "must do" dive. My teenaged sons and I had the best time!! We loved the whole experience. We were a little cold in the aquarium, wearing the shorties that are provided, but you find yourself having so much fun it doesn't matter that it is a little chilly. The backstage tour is really cool and very educational. The DVD is worth the cost, and is very well done. I really, really loved this experience!!

2  Thank Nancy E
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I remember going to Sea Base Alpha when I was a teenager.... It used to be the Living Seas, but after the redo and Nemotization to The Seas Living with Nemo, its still cool. When we planned our Disney trip, I remember something about Divequest and with Google and persistence I found out how to book and what I needed. I always thought the idea of scuba was cool and it really relaxes me once you get settled in.

You need to be Scuba certified (check) and bring your card (check) and a swimsuit (check) and pay the $180 (check). The rest is provided. Along with the dive and equipment use, you get to get a backstage tour of the facility (cool) and an overview of the operations (also cool). Also, the back of Disney is nothing like the front of Disney. You also get to see the dolphins backstage, but don't dive with them.

For a small fee ($35), you can get a DVD of your dive and that is pretty cool how they do it. Worth it for memories and to show the family you with that big ole shark. I hadn't gone diving in three year and this was a great tune-up dive along with a change to see 60+ types of fish and perform for the audience (family). Nothing like getting wife and daughter kisses through plexiglass. Its also cool how they march you in half wet suits through the exhibit to the stairs past everyone.... then you do your dive.

The dive masters and support personnel are all very professional and friendly. I highly recommend this activity to all who have their boxes checked.

1  Thank Mike S