“A Safari in The United States!”

Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village
Campbell, California
“A Safari in The United States!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2011

We stayed in a stunningly beautiful room at the Kidani Village. To wake up in the morning and see giraffes, zebras, exotic birds and cattle roaming below my deck was an experience I will never forget. Thank you, Disney!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (519)
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2011

Staying at Disney is expensive but we decided to splurge as we (very early 30s professionals) were introducing my inlaws to our crazy Disney infatuation. We got a 2 BR / 3 bathroom villa and for only $460 (40% off promo rate) per night through Disney. The Magical Express free transportation was very organized and efficient. The hotel was superb - saw lots of animals outside our savanna room balcony (mostly in AM and near sundown). Sanaa was fantastic for dinner as was Boma brunch buffet. We also booked and ate at the superb Kouzzina on the Boardwalk, Hacienda de San Angel at Epcot (superb view in any part of the restaurant of the fireworks), and was even able to reserve the Tomorrowland Terrace Wishes Dessert Buffet (at Magic Kingdom) - all online prior to our trip.

The rooms were very nice, as was the kitchen with everything we needed. They happily brought us robes, a tea kettle, another luggage rack, and extra coffee at our request. Also, I was expecting a package and it appeared in our room one night without my asking about it at the front desk. The safe in the bathroom closet was useful. The master bath with shower and jacuzzi was fantastic. The toilet is incredible - FWOOSH! Scary at first but very powerful. Nice amenities. The front desk was helpful. The gift shop had everything we needed, including a 2L (1gallon) milk for $3 that lasted the week. (We brought a box of cereal or had parfaits from Earl of Sandwich for breakfast.) In general, the Animal Kingdom Lodge and Villas are African themed and a bit dark for ambiance. They are very appealing to an older crowd. Pool was nice as were the hot tubs. Our room was on the side of the pool and we easily accessed it down 1 elevator and through the parking lot. Room 7724. If you have mobility issues, ask for a room close to the lobby or elevators.

The shuttles to Disney parks and Downtown Disney (doesn't start til 8:30am) are great but they always end up taking a while, which is the case for all shuttle services at any hotel. We love Earl of Sandwich for a quick and cheap bite at Downtown Disney.

Well worth the extra money. PS there are hidden mickeys in the carpets, bedspread, and ... well, you'll have to do the rest of the hunting all over Disney!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank yvrgirlToronto
upstate NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2011

I enjoy both the Jambi house and Kidani village resorts at the animal kingdom lodge. Seeing giraffes, zebras, crowned cranes, and antelope out your balcony is always refreshing and entertaining. The Boma restaurant at Jambi is the best! When you eat at their ethnically nuanced fare at the huge buffet, you will always eat there every visit, I guarantee it! The Kidani pool a nd slide are great. Lots of activities for the kids and a great health center. Can't go wrong here.

• Stayed August 2010
Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2011

I am in love with Kidani Village. It's the smaller property of the two lodges that make up Animal Kingdom Lodge. There are about 400+ rooms in Kidani Village, a mixture of studios and 1 and 2 bedroom villas. We stayed in a studio which had a large bed and sleeper sofa, kitchenette, and large bathroom, balcony with view of the animals on the savannah (giraffes, zebra, etc.).

My only complaint would be that we were placed at the far end of the hotel. It was literally a 6 minute walk from the lobby elevator to our room. However, we discovered a shortcut by avoiding the lobby altogether and walking by the pool and taking the last parking garage elevator up to our floor. Normally I wouldn't mind a bit of a walk to my room, but after a long day at the Disney parks or when you realize you forgot something in your hotel room, it makes a difference.

However, again - the ambience of the hotel (smaller than many other Disney properties), decor, amenities, etc. really made up for it. The pool area is fabulous. There's a large splash/toddler zone, a larger slide and a smaller one, and a pool bar. The community room for the hotel has pool, foosball, video games, coloring and markers, etc. all day long with scheduled activities as well. If you want to pay a few dollars, they have even more crafts. Most nights there is a drum circle in the library area (again, great for kids). And at night they have the firepit going that overlooks the savannah.

In the gift shop, there is a soda station if you have the free refillable cup. There is a good restaurant, Sanaa, that is a mix of Indian & African.

You can walk or catch a shuttle over to Jambo House (the larger hotel that also is part of Animal Kingdom Lodge).

We really loved Kidani. Dare I say - it "made" our trip.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank SunnyInCleveland
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2011

Hi,
This was an anniversary trip- my spouse and I are in our late 50's and we loved everything. We were prepared not to have the towels changed based on previous reviews, but we had housekeeping service every day- I think because we were not paying with "points" or something like that. Studio Room was spacious and comfortable for two;. would have been a bit tight for three. Kitchenette had everything we needed for breakfast in the AM- including a toaster (but not toaster oven, which we didn't need). Saw lots of animals from the balcony. Parked right by the elevator and room was not far. Checked out the pool- the fitness center is next door so you could always change there. Would go back tomorrow. Also ate at Boma and Jiko- both delicious.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank uuperiwinkle
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2011

I recently made a trip to the Kidani Village villas to celebrate my 50th birthday. Everything about the resort was fantastic. Extremely friendly staff, beautiful hotel, and a fabulous room. Had an exceptional meal that night at Jiko at Jambo House. Everything was going along perfectly until I awoke at 2:30 in the morning to bites, and when I got up and turned on the lights, discovered many bedbugs in my sheets and on the pillows. I immediately called the front desk, and within minutes a wonderful manager (Vicky) was at our door with a bellman to move our things to another room. Once in the next room, an exterminator appeared and they stripped off the sheets in the new room, and he did a thorough inspection of the mattress, bedposts, and room walls to make sure there were no bugs in the new room (there were none). Minutes later, another person showed up with all new sheets and remade the bed. Vicky stayed with us until she was sure everything was good, and she made arrangements for us to have a complimentary buffet breakfast the next morning (which was delicious), and while we were at breakfast, came to our room and took all of our clothes and luggage for heat treatment in case any of the bugs got into them. She then told us to go to the gift shop and purchase any clothes and carry on luggage we needed to get back home, all at no cost to us. When I arrived home later that night in Atlanta, I got a call from the hotel to tell me our clothes and luggage were already back from treatment, and would be overnighted to us the next day.
My main reason for writing this review is to let people know that bedbugs can be found anywhere, and are an unfortunate reality these days in even the best hotels. The way Kidani Village handled the problem was fantastic, and that is why I would stay there again. (I'd strip off the sheets and check the mattress first next time.) The staff was incredibly helpful and kind especially with such an unpleasant encounter with these bugs. Thanks again to Vicky and the wonderful staff for handling this in such a wonderfully kind manner!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
9 Thank Stooty
Topsfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2011

I liked our room but like others have said you could hear everyone in the halls loud and clear, very noisy at times. You could also hear guests in the adjoining rooms. I have to be honest I don't like staying there as much as Jambo House, waiting with two kids for a bus to get breakfast at times took over a half hour, the walk was too much for our children, both having a disability. I don't understand why Disney can't put a small counter service with coffee for guests inside the front lobby. They could make one similar to the one at Beach Club, it wouldn't have to be big, but just enough for guests to get milk, cereal, coffee etc. I find having to take a bus back and fourth to your room just to get a beverage or a snack is uncalled for at a Deluxe Resort!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family