“Savannah view was worth every dime”

Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village
Reviewed June 12, 2010

I took this trip with my 5year old (for her birthday), my 6 year old twins and my 8 year old son. I left on Wednesday with the kids and my husband met us there for the weekend.
Lets see the free transport to the villa via bus that you get with staying on property had its ups and downs at the time that I arrived there was a long wait to board our bus...made me a little testy to start off my trip. But the rest of the service was good.
The hotel room I stayed in a one bedroom suite, was spacious...there was a jaccuzzi tub in the master it was wel kept and the children could see girraffe, wilderbeast, ostrich (a vulture for some God awful reason) right from the balcony. I brought binoculars as I was advised to do and animal watch took up loads of thier down time. The restarant at Kadani (the newer villa) was not great. I ate there the first day for lunch with my kids and the staff was nice but the food was not very kid friendly or tasty.
The lodge is a ways away from everything so you must plan carefully and give yourself plenty of time to get from place to place. We did an exellent character breakfast with Lilo and Stitch on my daughters b-day...expensive but worth every dime. They took picture with each character and the food was pretty good. We did Mickey's backyard Bar B Q. The food was so so but the kids LOVED getting up and dancing with the characters so they didn't care. All in all I would stay in the animal kingdom resort again I did not utilize all of the amenities available...so much to do so little time. I did have groceries delivered to the hotel the day after I got there...which cut down of food costs drastacally. But I ended up leaving a lot behind or trying to pack it in my suitcase...next time I will be more carefull about that. I tipped the mades and got little knick nacks and crafts left on my pillow each day...all it was a very nice and relaxing stay.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank dgreatdr
Write a ReviewReviews (1,403)

Reviewed June 7, 2010

Stayed here for a whole week with family and our children. We are DVC members and have stayed in may Disney resorts and most DVC resorts and this is the best we've stayed at yet.
Super relaxing atmosphere, the best pool, great activities, super restaurants, amazing decor, accommodating staff, and just plain fun!!

The only cons: It's size can put you out in no where land and make your walk quite a trip to get to the lobby, pool, etc. The lodge is the farthest resort out, so the buses are somewhat of a pain if you are traveling to anywhere besides AK.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 7, 2010

For most average people staying in a savahhah view room at the AKL is only a dream. Being DVC Members, we were lucky enough to stay here for Christmas! The decorations in the hotel were breathtaking! Our first few nights were at Kidani Village in a studio, then two days in a standard view at Jambo, the next week was spent on the Giraffe trail in a savannah view room at Jambo house!

I loved the standard view rooms, our view was of the pool. We were able to sit on our balcony and see the pool. We also heard the Christmas carolers every morning. The carolers in the main lobby might have been annoying to some who were sleeping late, but not us, we LOVED THEM! We were right by the bridge in the middle of Jambo house...IT WAS AWESOME!

We came back to our hotel to find my Grandparents had snuck in just to sit in the lobby before our dinner reservations at BOMA!

I have seen some reviews about how far from everything AKL is...THIS IS NOT TRUE. The busses were FAR better than any other resort we have ever stayed at! In a 12 day period we had to wait longer than 10 min for a bus one time!

I would stay here every trip if I could!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 18, 2010

My husband and I just got back from a trip to Disney and we stayed at AKL Villas in the Jambo House for the first time. This place far exceeded my expectations. The decor was amazing, the savannah view was unbelievable (we had a giraffe sleeping right outside our room every night), the restaurants were excellent, the pool was absolutely huge and very well kept, the rooms were very clean and the bed/couch was surprisingly very comfortable. However, my favorite park is the Magic Kingdom so the long ride there was a little disappointing. That was the only downfall though. We will definitely return here! I would definitely recommend staying in the Jambo House Villas though. You are close to all of the restaurants and action.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank clkuz
Reviewed May 18, 2010

We love our DVC membership and our only regret now is that we don't own at Kidani! We stayed in a dedicated 2 bedroom Savannah view at Kidani Village for 8 days and loved every minute of it. The 3 bathrooms certainly came in handy for the 6 of us in the room. The master bedroom had a comfy King size bed and the master bathroom was enormous! Loved the whirpool tub and glass shower almost as much as the Lion King hand painted tiles. The balcony was a nice relaxing place to sit and watch the giraffes and zebras during the little one's nap time.

It was too cold to use the pool area but it looks like it would be fun. We can't wait to return in warmer weather to try it out. The fitness center was by the pool and was well equipped with all of the latest fitness equipment.

The buses ran often and we rarely had to wait more than a few minutes for a bus. I do wish that there was a quick service restaurant at Kidani so that we didn't have to walk or ride the bus over to Animal Kingdom Lodge just to get a quick bite to eat.

We already have our trip booked to return in November and are considering adding a stay in September as well.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank KLord47
Reviewed April 28, 2010

We did a split stay of 6 nights at the Beach Club Villa, and 2 nights at AKL - Kidani Village. I had always wanted to try the animal kindgom lodge, and since we couldn't get all 8 nights at Beach Club we did 2 nights at AKL.

The rooms were gorgeous. TThe pool area is very nice, and my kids ages 7 and 9 really liked the slide in the pool, and the water play area with the squirting cannons, and the buckets that dump water on their head. We debated wheter to get a savannah view but since we don't spend much time in the room, and because of other reviews saying that you could seem more from the overlooks, we went with the standard view. We did visit all the overlooks at Kidani and Jambo house and saw all the different animals. My daughter loves okapi and that was one of the higlights of the stay.

We ate at Sanaa, and were somewhat disappointed as the food at our local Indan restaurant at home was better.

The animal Kingdom is also further from the theme parks. It is very close to Blizzard Beach and the kids liked the preteen area with the zip line, tobaggan racers, and iceberg walk.

Overall we enjoyed our stay at animal kingdom villas but will be returning to the beach club next time.

Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank swansfromBoston
Reviewed April 26, 2010

I would have two different recommendations based on the person asking....

If you are frequent visitors to Disney, this is a resort you need to experience once. The rooms are large and comfortable, the view of the animals from your balcony is really cool, the pool/splash area was big. Of all of the DVC properites, the facilities here were the best.

On the other hand, if you are looking to park hop and/or you aren't a frequent visitor I would not recommend this property. Most of the rooms are a serious hike from the lobby/bus stop(to maximize the number of savannah views), the transportation time to all of the parks other than AK is long and no quick service restaurant at Kidani.

Nothing to complain about other than location and relative cost. For convenience and value, I'd take Boardwalk or Beach Club.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family