“Where the Wild Things Are!”

Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village
Reviewed October 14, 2009

This was our first trip "home" to the new Kidani Village at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge and Villas.
The cast of characters included myself , my husband, our two boys(age 5 and 2) and my sister and her husband. We stayed in a two-bedroom lock off, savanna view on the third floor. We were in the third "bead" from the lobby, towards the pool.
We found this location to be excellent. We never had to walk too far to the lobby/restaurant or the pool.
One of the great things about this resort is the underground parking. We were always able to find parking right near to the elevator, ride the elevator up and we were right at our room. The underground parking is a great thing for Orlando. The car was always cool, and we never got wet in the frequent afternoon showers.
Back to the room.... I thought the room was spectacular. Everything was brand new, in fact, I think we may have been the first ones to stay in this room. We had a full kitchen with granite counter tops throughout. A nice feature is that in the two bedrooms, there are actually 3 full bathrooms. This makes getting ready a breeze as no one is waiting around to take showers. The master bathroom was so spacious that we were able to set up my son's pack and play in there, and it was like he had his own bedroom!
The best part of the room is of course, THE VIEW! We were able to view zebras, giraffes, wildebeasts, and a host of other animals that I don't even know the names.
To me, this is the draw of the resort, and it was hard to drag ourselves away from the balcony.
This resort is remote, furthest away from all the Disney theme parks(except for Animal Kingdom). But I think this was what I like best. I really felt like I was transported to an African Safari every time we returned to our resort.. We had our own car, so I can't speak on the bus service to and from the theme parks.
I would be remiss if I did not mention the on-site restaurant, Saana. Let me put it this way, we were only supposed to eat here once, but ended up eating there 3 times!
To me, this is one of the best restaurants on Disney property. The food and the wine were incredible. The food is Indian influenced, but it by no means an 'Indian restaurant". The wine flights were perfect and the service outstanding.
The other big draw for this hotel is the pool area, which is more like a mini water theme park! My kids were in heaven.
I think the only draw back to this resort is the fact that there is just too much to see and do, and I felt like I never wanted to leave it and go to the actual theme parks.
Our next trip we will not do the theme parks and just stay put at Kidani Village!
I highly recommend this resort to everyone!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,435)

Reviewed October 13, 2009

I visited Kidani village within a week of it opening in May. On first look, it's a lot less impressive looking than the enormous lobby in Jambo House (the other section of Animal Kingdom). I had a second floor savannah view room and it was absolutely wonderful. It wasn't as lush as it is at Jambo but I was so close and my son kept "mooing" when he saw the red cattle. It's a beautiful resort and there were a few snags but I'll attribute that to the hotel just opening. The water play area and pool are very cool and my 2 year old son had a great time on the kiddie slide and having a zero entry pool is wonderful for parents of little ones. The layout of the hotel is strange as you have to walk through the parking lot to get to the pool but overall, it was a great stay and I'd love to stay there again. We are DVC members and will be at Kidani again in the future.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 10, 2009

The best staff, gorgeous views and charming, spacious rooms, what more can you ask for?

Reviewed October 10, 2009

Wonderful resort. Stayed in a studio villa on the fifth floor in the jambo house. our room was spacious with a queen bed and sofa bed sitting area. the vanity area is outside the bathroom with large counter space and two sinks. there is also a kitchenette area with a small refridgerator, microwave, coffee maker, and sink area. It is great if you like to have your coffee and something to eat in the room before heading out for the day. our balcony looked out onto the savanah. we did see a few animals roaming, but it's not a beautiful view, just grass and some trees. however if you travel with small children they will be delighted to see animals right off the balcony. the janmbo house is the name for the center building of the resort. It houses a huge are with comfortable couches for relaxing or watching guests wander around. the checkin area is here as well as a gift store.the stores stocks souvennires , sundries as well as foods snacks and alcohol. Three resturaunts and a bar are also located downstairs in the main building . There are many viewing areas from and around jambo house. There are usually cast members to tell you things about the animals in some of the viewing areas. there are also benches or rocking chairs shaded for you to relax in while whatching the animals.surprisingly there are no funny animal smells though. I was up early one morning while the poop patrol was out cleaning up, that could be why. The pool area is one of the best of the disney resorts. There is a zero entry pool and slides. It is very large and seems to never be crowded. there is a bar located by the pool with tables and chairs in the area. A shorts walk away is Mara, which is a take out food court. they serve breakfast,lunch and dinner. the food is decent with several selection to order from. there is also a fridge with pre made sandwiches, desserts and beverages. There is more than enough to choose from for a quick bite.There is a full service resuraunt called Boma . I did not eat there though. The other resturaunt is Jiko which is buffet service . I had breakfast here one morning. I have eaten at many of the buffet breakfast in disney world prior to this trip. this is the best one for breakfast.. The selection was very good , you even had a few african inspired dishes. You could also get custom omlets which alot of the other buffets don't offer. There is also the option to order food via room service.There is a fintness center, game arcade and a childrens activity center near the pool area.there was a small bon fire pit where a cast member would tell stories in the evening.there are daily actvities provided for the guests.The resort provides complimentary buses to get to all the theme parks and down town area so you don't need a car while staying here. this is an excellent resort to stay in.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank dmf24
Reviewed October 8, 2009

I traveled with my husband, 2 year old son and my mother. We stayed in a studio for 5 nights. The room was very clean and was big enough for the 4 of us. We had a queen bed and pull out sofa that we just folded up during the day to give us more room. The hotel was beautiful and the staff was very accommodating. Transportation was by bus, and was FAR BETTER than other Disney resorts I have stayed at. You had 1 stop maximum (Jambo House next door). We would take the bus to the Jambo House to eat breakfast and would eat our other meals at the parks. My son LOVED the pool - if you ask him it was his favorite part of the trip. It was a beautiful, relaxing pool.

2  Thank kaytieedid
Reviewed July 4, 2009

We joined Disney Vacation Club in January 2008. We abosulutley love the DVC and love staying at Animal Kingdom Resort. We purchased into Animal Kingdom Villas at Kadani Village. Obviously, Kidani Village did not open until very recently, so we had the chance to stay at the Jumbo House at Animal Kingdom (Jumbo House is the main hotel).

For those who are unfamiliar with DVC or Animal Kingdom, here is the set up. When Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jumbo House) first opened, it was a large hotel and no Disney vacation club villas. Eventually, the 5th floor at AKL was converted to all DVC villas, which are also available to book by cash reservation for non DVC members. DVC expanded and made plans to build Kadani Village, which are ALL DVC villas. The villas range from studios to 3 bedroom deluxe accomadations.

Although Kadani Village is right next door to Jumbo House, the way they designed it, it is a very very far walk from one section to the other. The walk would not be that bad if it is not really hot or humid out. You basically have to take the bus to get from Kadani to Jumbo House. Anyways, the new pool area at Kadani Village has an awesome pool slide and a nice area for kids to play. However, the pool is very small compared to the Jumbo House and you have to walk into the main parking lot to get to the pool area which is in the front of the building. ( I am assuming they did this to maximize on the Savannah view rooms). There was abosulutley no shade at this pool and very few umbrella areas. The Jumbo House pool has a lot of shaded areas and the pool is probably 5 times the size. The slide at Jumbo House is cool.

The Kadani lobby and main entrance is a very very small version (if that's what you want to call it) of the Jumbo House lobby. The lobby is quaint at best and does not have the "wow" factor like Jumbo House. The Kadani store area is also very very tiny and the outside public savannah area is also very very tiny with a small viewing area and fire pit to sit around. There is one restraunt and from the look of it with the price you get for one meal, you are better off going to Boma at Jumbo House and eating at the buffet which is all African cusine and some kid style foods.

For those of you wanting to use DVC points or even non DVC members wanting to pay cash, all of the Jumbo House Villas are now considered to be Value, even the Savannah Views. This will save you on points and/or cash, verses staying in same room or a true value room in Kadani Village. Personally, I enjoyed our stay at Jumbo House (12/08) much better than Kadani Village stay in June 2009. The only difference between the rooms are the size. The studios are slightly smaller in Jumbo house and the bathrooms are set up a little differently. In Jumbi House, the bathroom main area is the toilet and the tub, then the sinks are on the outside of the bathroom. In Kadani Village, the bathroom is all inclusive for more privacy. The one bedrooms in Jumbo House are a tad bit smaller but basically only in bathroom set up. JH one bedroom has one full sized inclusive bathroom with a huge spa tub only, no stand up. The new one bedrooms in Kadani will have two bathrooms. The first bathroom is a standard bathroom and the master bedroom bathroom has a huge spa tub and a seperate glass enclosed stand up shower. Everything else is the same, flat screen televisions, ect.

If you want to save some points and/or money and like the wow factor of staying at the main lodge, then book at Jumbo House. If you don't care about point value or cash prices and want to stay somewhere that is a little more secluded and quiet, KAdani Village is the place to be. Either section is still awesome and has that magical Disney charm, they are just very different from one another. If you have NEVER been to Disney or stayed at Disney property, my reccomendation is to stay the first time at the main lodge of Jumbo House. The lobby there is breathtaking and everywhere you turn, there is something always going on and something to do. You will get the true Disney experience staying at Jumbo House.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
185  Thank snoss93220
Reviewed June 8, 2009

We love Disney! That is why we purchased our DVC membership. We were staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge in Jambo House when we bought our membership. When I heard that the Kidani Village was going to be opening around the time I was planning for my yearly trip to Disney I was ecstatic. We booked a 1 bedroom villa for 5 nights.

When we arrived, we went strait out onto the balcony for a view of the animals and were greeted by the view of Giraffes feeding on the trees near by. The furniture in the villa was beautiful and there were large flat screen TVs in both the living room and bedroom. The master bathroom is well appointed with a whirlpool tub and a large stand-up shower. There's a nice sized closet. There is also a separate bathroom near the entrance for the kids. The kitchen was fully equipped so if you wanted to do some cooking you can.

The pool is really nice. My kids loved the slide and the zero depth area.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family