“If not for the animals....”

Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village
Reviewed October 15, 2013

My fiancee and I stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge- Kidani Villiage from 10/5 through 10/10. we We were underwhelmed at first glance of this hotel. There's noting great from the outside front of the hotel. While it was neat looking, nothing too exciting.

Our check in only went some what smoothly. We had a mishap with our magic band, which Sam tried feverishly to fix to no avail, but that wasn't his fault. He was very accomodating, and even gave myself a rose and my fiancee and pirate bandana for the trouble. Very nice! Our room wasn't ready, but only waited about 2 hours. In the mean time, we went to Animal Kingdom, which was an awesome 4 minute ride.

Once into our room, we were greeted with a great space that was decorated perfectly. We had a studio room with kitchenette area. The bed was comfortable as was the couch. The bathroom was very spacious and had a great showerhead. (you know that's important!) We had a balcony facing the parking lot, but our view was mostly trees and the fitness center. Although our room wasn't a savannah (animal viewing room), we were close to the lobby, which was nice. They also had viewing areas of the animals with rocking chairs to sit on, which was great since we didn't have a savannah room. There was also a ton of educational activities going on throughout the day.

With that being said, everything else wasn't too great. Kidani Villiage does not have a quick service restaurant. They do have a small, I emphasize small, gift shop where you can fill up your mug, but that's about it. If you want any kind of snack or meal, you have to go over to Jambo House. The walk wasn't terrible- 10 minutes. You could also hop a bus over to Jambo House since they all stop at Kidani first. Kidani does offer one sit down resturant, but we didn't eat there. The pool at Kindani Villiage was noticably smaller than Jambo House and was nothing great. We went to go for a swim once, but didn't even bother once we saw it. Then there's the buses. The buses going out of Kidani Villiage weren't a terrible wait at all. Maybe 10 minutes; however, going back to Kindani Villiage from a park is a whole different story. From MK, we waiting over 30 minutes every time. DTD was just as bad. It was very frustrating watching several buses for each of the other resorts drive by and not one for yours.

Overall, while it was an okay resort with a nice room, I would not stay there again. Jambo House is another story. They have a grand lobby, a great gift shop, two sit down restaurants and a quick service restaurant. They also have a larger pool/pool area. While the buses are still a thron in my side, if I had a savannah view, I could make it work.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NJkristen
Write a ReviewReviews (1,417)

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed in a one-bedroom savannah-view villa in June 2013. Vacation included myself, husband, daughter & son-in-law and 9yo grandson. We chose Kidani mostly for grandson's first Disney trip!
Even though it did not look it on the hotel map, our room was a long haul from the lobby, though not too far from the pool area. The view from the balcony was amazing...animals galore! Grandson loved it! Very relaxing sitting out there for breakfast or a drink at the end of the day.
The room had a few flaws, though. The kitchen was not very clean on check-in. There were food dribbles down the front of the stove and lower cabinets. Floor, both in kitchen and living room, had not been swept or vacuumed. The clock radio in the bedroom never worked, and we had to call down to get batteries for the tv remote (missing!) My grandson slept on the fold-out chair and found it comfortable, but the other adults thought the sofa bed was awful; however, I think that is typical of sofa beds.
Transportation to the parks was pretty good. Front desk concierge was wonderful! They were extremely helpful arranging transportation to Universal and they also sent the hotel driver to the drugstore to purchase seeded supplies.
All in all a very enjoyable (though not perfect) vacation.

Room Tip: It's definitely worth the extra money to have a savannah view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Enjoyed staying at this hotel, loved sitting out on the balcony watching the animals. Saw cattle, giraffe, zebra, vultures, wildebeest and loved every minute watching them. Would like to see a quick serve restaurant in the Kidani village area rather than walking over to the Jambo house

Room Tip: Savannah view is great
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CRAZYWARRIOR
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Disney ... but after a day of thrill rides, enchanted tales, brightly colored animation, and world showcase impressions ... returning to this oasis is ... nirvana. Immediately after you depart from the bus the peace and quiet envelope you leading you into a zen-like state. I have seen reviews where people speak of the "walk" to your room, that the corridors are long ... well, yes, they are; however, every 20 feet or so there is a marvelous view of the savannah. The art work throughout is authentic and in every nook and cranny.
We have stayed in both a one-bedroom and three-bedroom villa. Besides being impeccably clean, thematically decorated (there's even a Lion King theme discreetly placed in the shower tiles), they are spacious. The staff is beyond reproach! I was on crutches the last time we visited and I swear the staff would have given me a piggy-back ride to our room if I requested! We are trying a new villa (Boardwalk) next year, and I have to admit, I am a wee bit nervous that it will not be as rewarding an experience. But hey, it's Disney so I am pretty sure Boardwalk Villas will have their own wonder!

Room Tip: The savannah view rooms are worth the extra cost!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank celtchic
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Disney entertains with animatronics, robots, and illusions, but nothing compares to watching live African wildlife 24/7 outside my condo. Observing the wildlife from my "savannah" room was the highlight of this visit to Orlando. In fact, I skipped a day at Animal Kingdom to observe the wildlife at various locations at the resort, view the African artifacts, enjoy the cultural activities, and participate in poolside options at the resort.

The condos of Kidani and Jambo combine with regular hotel rooms to create the Animal Kingdom Lodge experience. Unlike some Disney-themed properties such as the Contemporary or Bay Lake which are built "up," the AKL is spread out in a horseshoe shape. This means a lot of walking at times, especially if you're in the far end of a building. I "strolled," so it took me about 25 minutes to get from the Jambo pool to my room at the far end of the horseshoe. Yet the walk was worthwhile when I knew I could sit on my balcony and watch the wildlife.

My sleeping room was a bit small, as I went for the basic Savannah room with a scaled-down kitchenette. It was plenty of space for one person, but a family of four would have been crowded. I was a bit surprised that the kitchenette included only a few items - paper plates and bowls, toaster, coffee maker, plastic cutlery, a few cups and glasses. If I'd known in advance about this skeleton set-up, I would have packed a larger microwaveable cooking bowl, kitchen knife, and cooking spoon so I could steam rice, chop vegetables, or cook pasta. I enjoy trying out new recipes when I travel and stay in a condo, so that was a minor disappointment. Note - minor!

A long list of activities is offered at the resort, so it's possible to spend a day or two relaxing a the AKL. Kidani features a nightly campfire with marshmallows at sundown (behind the pool area). Graham crackers and chocolate are available for purchase at the gift shop in the lobby, so s'mores might be a nightly treat. Movies are shown poolside under the stars every evening, and animal viewing via night goggles also occurs near Saana. Speaking of Saana, it's a wonderful restaurant featuring African food with an Indian twist. Don't forget the naan bread!

I didn't notice any bothersome odors or noises from the animals during my stay. Other visitors, however, complained about the loud calls from some of the birds just outside their rooms. I slept soundly each night, and I noticed the bird calls during the day, but they did not bother me.

Every time I travel I forget something. This time, I forgot the device I needed to zip up a special costume. A Disney staffer came to my rescue, and all was well at the Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween party, thanks to her. All in all, this was a magical experience!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank redink46142
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We stayed here as DVC members and booked a total of 3 rooms. We booked 2-2 bedrooms and 1-1 bedroom villas. What I liked most was that they kept all the rooms close together. I liked the option of having the online check in and when we checked in our room was ready. In our room alone we had a party of seven (4 adults and 3 children). The rooms were very spacious no one falling over each other. The 3 bathrooms in the 2 bedroom was a bonus. The kitchen was roomy as well as the living area. The kids had no complaints they camped out in the living area on the let out couch and let out chair. That as well was another bonus. The downside to the resort is that it is the furthest away from all the parks (except Animal Kingdom) and downtown Disney. The quick grab and go is located at Animal kingdom Lodge. Either you can take the 5 minute walk or the courtesy van to the lodge. Waiting on Disney transportation to the parks was long too. It is a great place to stay to see the animals.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank texasgw24
Reviewed September 26, 2013

This Disney Resort scores points in some key areas: The animal views are magical, the lobby is attractive and the African cast members add an air of realism to the entire place.

BUT, there is something missing here. Maybe it's the linear layout of the place or the strange resemblance to a cheap apartment complex that throws the overall impact of this Villa hotel. The guest rooms are laid out in a chain of prefab-feeling lodges strung out like a themed prison. From one end to the other it must be close to a mile. There is also a lack of quality in the room finishes. While the African themed rooms are at first glance immersive and African, they soon fall apart. The doors are cheap metal and the walls resemble the lowest cost and effort construction possible. But the worst is the small slider window that only fills about 50% of one wall. Why on earth in a room that's all about the view would you put in such a small and common window?

The rooms are also very SMALL. Would it hurt to include a little more room? And why would your ever default to a Queen size bed without a side table on one side?

There is also a loud condenser near the main hotel that should be avoided for sound! Very un-African peaceful.

So what to do? If you are intent on staying at a Disney Hotel with amazing animal views choose the main Jambo Lodge -- it has a much better vide and more energy. The rooms are also lackluster, but it feels less like a themed apartment building done on the cheap.

Jambo! and keep an eye out for the Giraffes!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family