Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$181
$157
$263
$193
$153
$208
  • Pool
Marriott's Grande Vista(Orlando)(Great Value!)
$145
Hilton.com
$438
$255
  • Restaurant
Caribe Royale Orlando(Orlando)(Great Value!)
$177
$555
$437
Travelocity
1,459 results
All reviewsjambo housesavannah viewbedroom villadvc membersnight vision gogglesfull bathroomsthe bussanaa restaurantwatching the animalscommunity roombread servicestandard viewsunset savannaroom close to the lobbyjamba househome resortankole cattle
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We have been DVC members for the last 8 years and this is the first time we have stayed at another Disney Resort apart from our "home" resort. The hotel lobby is very well done with authentic looking decor. The shop is very limited though and you are better going to the shop at Jambo House which is far better stocked and much larger. The room we had was on the third floor and was on the opposite side from the pool so we had a 1/2 mile walk to get there. We had a one bedroom apartment which was larger the the ones we usually stay in at The Saratoga Resort, although because of all the dark wood and decor we could have done with more lighting. The apartment had two bathrooms, the main one being huge with a walk in shower with a seat in it a large spa bath and two sinks. The parking is under the building and very limited, although there are some outside parking available. I felt that the resort could have done with another pool because the pool got crowded in the afternoons.
All in all we can't fault the service but the rooms could do with some brightening up and another pool on the other side of the resort would help. We will be back in a few years to see if it has improved any!

Room Tip: Try and get one close to the hotel lobby.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CoatbridgeRonnie
Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

we are DVC members and took our whole family here last year. first of all its so far away from the buses and u have to walk and walk and walk. Jambo house is our choice from now on. the rooms were worn and not up to par. dishes were still in dishwasher. the hair dryer in both rooms was so disgusting that we had to ask for another one. This should not happen at any walt Disney world resort. we have been coming here since 1978 and we expect only the best from Disney as you certainly pay a high enough price.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank KathieMae1970
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I have stayed at Kidani Village 5 times now, while just recently staying 10 nights in a 2-bedroom vacation home. I love it. There are few places on this planet that I have traveled that are more peaceful and relaxing.

One of my favorite things is to eat my lunch or drink a coffee on the balcony overlooking the savannah. The giraffe, antelope, cranes, etc.... it is very peaceful. I could sit out there for hours and watch.

The beds were all very comfortable. Great nights sleep. Bathrooms are very spacious. There are actually 3 full baths in this place. My only issue is that I wish there were brighter lights in the bathrooms. It is a bit dark when you're trying to get ready.

The kitchen is nice. We shopped at Target (about 7 minutes away) and brought our groceries back. A full size fridge and stove make it great for preparing meals and snacks, along with the microwave and toaster.

I'm a bit flabbergasted at those who do not rate this facility 5 stars all the way across.

The decor at this resort is second to none in the northern hemisphere for African decor. And, it's not all behind glass. Many of the artifacts are hands on. It is an enormous collection spread throughout the entire resort.

The staff has always been great, very friendly to my children, and always helpful. There are always Africans from many different African nations there to share their culture and perspective. It is a full experience.

Both swimming pools are incredible, multiple hot tubs and water slides. There are children's water play areas. Games all afternoon and evening by the poolside. There is almost always a movie each night at the pool, along with smores. How can you beat that?

I used the fitness room. Quality machines and plenty of towels. Very clean and modern.

The food was superb! Both my wife and I are gluten intolerant. For each meal we ate out, the chef would personally come out and see that our needs were met. At the Boma restaurant, the chef walked us up and down the buffet line telling us the ingredients and what foods we should avoid. Some of the best flavors in the world are at the Boma and Jiko. Love eating here!

I know that some people complain about the distance. Let me address that. It is Disney World. Kidani is specifically set away from some of the other resorts because of the animals and fireworks at some of the theme parks. It is not far. We got from the parking lot of Magic Kingdom to our parking space in the Kidani parking garage in 8-10 minutes... tops.

Once you're at Kidani, you don't walk any more here than you do at any other resort. I have stayed at several value resorts, moderate resorts, and deluxe resorts. They all require walking. Kidani is cleverly laid out and the walking is on par with any other resort.

If you're paying cash... yah... a 2 bedroom vacation home might be expensive, but it is also going to be 4-5 times bigger than any other regular studio room, and you can do all your own cooking to save money. And, how many hotels or resorts have an African savannah where you can enjoy your lunch?

More than anything, a resort is where you come to relax and escape from your life back home. This is the perfect place to do that. I left refreshed and relaxed.

As I stated in the title... this is the best of the best in my opinion. I would rather stay here than any other resort on the WDW property... even Grand Floridian or other deluxe resort.

Room Tip: I love choosing a savannah view. I have stayed on both the Pembe Savannah and the Sunset Savannah. Both are good choice, but the Sunset Savannah will most likely be closer to the lobby.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Rich N
Reviewed June 6, 2013

My family and I visited AKL for two nights at the end of our stay in Florida this year. If you like the whole staying on site thing then you will of course feel differently than me about this hotel. I thought the resort was fantastic and the staff were very knowledgeable. There was also a lot of activities, my Fav was walking in on a guy as he was proposing to his girlfriend which I thought was soooo sweet. This is a five star resort, but my review is four stars because of my own experience of other five star hotels around the world.

Pros
>washer and dryer in the rooms
> if you are an animal lover then this is the place to be in Disney
> we loved sitting by the campfire getting told stories
> the room was on the same floor as the lobby, so weren't too far away from there and had a great view of the animals, and what a view!!
> I have never seen such a large bathroom in a hotel room before and is very much appropriate as the rooms can hold 4 people so can imagine it gets crowded. there was also a second toilet near the entrance to our room which was useful.
> loved the darkish rooms as it was much cooler, I think they must have done this on purpose so the anima have some shade or something as I have never known a hotel to build their rooms with such big balconies in the shade before
> It's on Disney property but was quicker staying at Staybride Suites in LBV and driving in than getting the bus
> made me want to check out Animal Kingdom (I know such a Disney addict and I had never been but it never appealed to me before) it was a good park, but glad I have never wasted a whole day exploring it before as really for younger kids. Loved the fact you can buy safari hats with Mickey ears there though
> I don't need the decorations of a hotel to have a good time, but obviously Disney have got it right here. Would have expected the lobby to be more spectacular for the price you are paying.
> lots of activities and things to keep the kids busy.
> it was good that I could go to the lobby and someone would fetch my car for me.
The double bed was HUGE!

Cons
> have to get a bus everywhere. The resort is big and kinda of impersonal.
> it all just felt too much, too much of everything although if that's what you are after I can imagine you would have a fantastic trip here
> couldn't help compare it to Hard Rock even though they really aren't the same. Actually there isn't much you can compare it to except a safari and if you compare it to that then the safari wins hands down.
> the windows to the balcony need stickers on them my cousin ran into the windows twice when they were closed (thinking they were open) and this is a potential health and safety hazard (although it was quite funny as it was like it happened in slow motion) poor thing.
> it's easier to order room service than go to Jambo house so that's what we did.

All in all I did not think it was worth e price tag Disney puts on it and if I wanted a relaxing holiday I wouldn't stay here because its way too big and impersonal to be relaxing. Not so good for you g families who are on the dinning palm having to go o er to Jambo house on the bus, so don't know who they had in mind when they built this part of the resort.

I would be very grateful that if you enjoyed this review and found it helpful, you press your mouse/finger on the little button that says YES. Thank you in advance x

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank Lionbird1983
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We've been DVC members for 7 years and have stayed at most of the DVC resorts at Disney. We had eaten dinner at AKL, but not stayed, so decided to do a quick trip there after the Disney Cruise. The lobby area is beautifully done with great views of the Savannah. The gift shop at Kidani is very limited in terms of both supplies and tshirts/gifts. If you are looking for souveniers, head over to Jambo house.

The Community Hall just off the lobby is well equipped with a pool table, PS2s and PS3s, foosball, games and arts & crafts. The 12 & 6 year old girls both enjoyed the available arts & crafts which seemed to be less expensive than some of the art projects available at other DVC resorts -- a picture frame for $3, a "notebook" for $1. The arcade was a big hit with the 14 year old an had lots of gaming options.

The pool area was very nice with a fabulous slide and kids water-play area. The seating was limited in comparison to other DVC resorts and on 2 afternoons we had trouble finding a late-afternoon place to sit. The bar tenders at the pool bar were friendly and the food was good. The main issue with the pool was distance - it was, to say the least, a hike from our room. With kids and gear in tow, it really was not a convenient spot. Ditto for the nearby fitness room that had just received new equipment. Several mornings I woke long before the kids and, if staying at the Boardwalk, would have headed immediately to the gym. At AK I awoke and thought - do I really want to walk more than a 1/2 mile just to get to the gym.

The rooms were very large -- smaller than Old Key West but larger than Beach Club & Boardwalk. The woodwork was very attractive and the layout was great - particularly the two full baths like Bay Lake Towers. The balcony was large and overlooked the savannah. We were on the "wrong" side so did not see zebras or giraffes but there were a number of different animals and birds to see each day. The one "down side" was the rooms, particularly the bathrooms, were very very dark. Working at the desk was really only feasible during the day with the currents open. In addition the master bath had some type of censor that caused the exhaust fan to turn on automatically when someone entered the bathroom - a really annoying feature when someone gets up to use the restroom in the middle of the night.

The biggest "con" to the resort is its layout. Our room was 1/2 mile from the lobby -- confirmed by the valet who initially gave us the distance and by driving the underground parking garage from our room to the lobby. So anytime we wanted to do anything, we started with a 1/2 mile walk -- 1/2 mile to the lobby then additional walk to the pool; 1/2 mile to the lobby then significant extra walk to the basketball court (warning the basketballs & shuffleboard equipment are located at the Community Hall by the lobby not at the courts); 1/2 mile to the lobby then additional short walk to community center/arcade; 1/2 mile to the lobby then additional walk to the Disney bus stop; etc. I think if we had been in the "20's" or "30's" in terms of room numbers rather than the high "70's" we wold have enjoyed our stay significantly more but, of course, no one at check in asked about location preference.

The rides on the Disney buses to the parks (except Animal Kingdom) were long. On the "plus" side the bus only stopped at the other Animal Kingdom Lodge bus stop. It did not do the annoying multi-resort stop common among the Epcot resorts' buses. One day we timed our arrival at the bus stop right, did not have to wait for a bus, and made it to Magic Kingdom in @ 25 minutes. Another day we had to wait 20+ minutes for a bus then had a 35 minute ride to Magic Kingdom. Epcot was a similar time lag.

There were a number of African-themed activities. One involved matching skulls to animals which was a wee bit much for the 6 year old. All of the kids wanted to do the animal viewing with night vision goggles but the short time from was always during our dinner reservations.

Overall a beautiful resort but not as convenient as other options at Disney.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 2d or 3d floor near the lobby (rooms in the 20's & 30's are preferable). While there will be more hall noise, it is worth being closer to the action. The distant rooms (we were in 75 are miserably far from resort activities and amenities, particularly if traveling with small children).
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family