“Great place to stay”

Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village
Reviewed April 11, 2011

Our family of four (two adults & two kids, ages 4 & 6), plus two guests (adult and child, age 5) all stayed in a two-bedroom savanna view room for one week. One king and two queens in other room. We shared a common living room and kitchen area that included another full bath plus washer and dryer. Dryer came in handy on the rainy days. Very spacious. We were very fortunate to get a room close to the lobby; that allowed us to have easy access to the pool, store and front entrance. I could see how other people might complain about the walk because it is a big place. I didn't want the worry or hassle of car rental. Took the magical express which got us right to our Kidani Villa (about 30 min, stopped at two other resorts first). The view from our room was great. Animals were always viewable all day, even when it rained. We took buses to all the parks. Average wait for the bus was about 20 min. But the buses took you right to the front of all the parks and no hassle with parking a car. When we wanted to leave, we just went back to where the buses dropped us off and went back. It was pretty easy. Jambo house is the sister resort right next to the Kidani, well it takes about 7-10 min. to walk there, but there is a van that always runs between Kidani and Jambo Villas so we used that most of the time. The pool at Kidani I feel was better for younger kids, it had its own kids play area, plus the main pool with slides. Jambo pool was bigger, but a lot more adults and older kids used it. Food choices or lack thereof was definitely an issue at Kidani. They have only one restaurant which is African cuisine so my kids had an issue with it. Jambo has two fancier restaurants and one with table service that has all the same meals as every disney restaurant does, so it got old after awhile. The Bama restaurant was excellent. It was a huge buffet with enough choices and tastes for all the kids and adults to enjoy, spendy, but worth it for one night. We ordered grocieries from gardengrocer.com a couple of days before arrival. It was definitely worth it. We all had snacks and drinks and food for the kids for breakfast and dinner. By the end of the day, the kids were so worn out, they didn't want to leave anywhere to eat. So The groceries really helped out and saved money. We did not do the dining package and glad we didn't with young kids. We were not limited to staying at the resort, we could have taken buses and ate other places, but chose not to most nights. Also, be sure to buy a beverage cup from the store when you first get there, free refills on pop, coffee, etc. We definitely got our moneys worth.

We went to all the parks, one day in the tornado infested rain. We didn't get too caught up withe all the scheduling and running around like crazy. We took advantage of the early hours for resort guests and did get fast passes when we could and when it was worth it. We did not get the hopper or water park add ons. You only really need or can see one park per day with young kids. You want to make sure you spend time at the pool and relax and that is what we did when we returned from parks in early afternoons.

I would definitely do it again, especially with younger kids. When the kids get a little bit older, we'll try other resorts with more things to do within walking distance. Staff was great, with the two rain days, the staff was busy helping entertain the kids at the resort.

Room Tip: We got lucky
1  Thank bigslimSiouxCity
There are newer reviews for Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village

Reviewed April 9, 2011

would definetley stay again! went with my 2 kids and had lots O' fun! after a long day at Disney we came back to the hotel and crashed. comfortable beds and fun stay @ Jambo house!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 7, 2011

There is no doubt this resort is pricey ... but if you can splurge to make it happen, do so.
We had a room with the savannah view for several nights, and it was magic to see all of the animals - the zebra, the elund, ostriches ...and one night late, we heard some crunching outside on the grass, and there was the giraffe approaching. Really special.
Of course, I can see from other reviews that some people did not see very many animals, I am just saying that we certainly did. And, as we were out at Animal Kingdom from opening to evening, you could still see and enjoy them at night (it is dimly lit). In the morning they are out as well as we prepared to leave for the parks. For sure, the lobby is beautiful and the front desk was fabulous and fun! They even gave us character stickers (not that we had any kids with us, but I guess when you show up with Mickey and Donald watches....lol)... Really enjoyed the outside area, where young people from various African countries help explain a little bit about the animals, etc. That's a great program for both the resort and the young guides. The shuttle comes quick, or it's just a six to ten minute walk to Jambo, so be sure not to miss that resort. They have the animals in safari area there, too, very interesting. Yes, it is true that you may get a room that is a VERY long walk from the lobby (we did), but unless you really have mobility problems, it's not a big deal. After all, you're at Disney, you are going to be walking a lot at the parks. The design we thought was very nice in the hallways. The room was great and the bed comfy and everything was clean. the gift shop has coffee and some breakfast options which we enjoyed at tables looking outside. And to stay on site, and to be this close to Animal Kingdom - the best! Loved everything about the park, from the safari ride (take it several times, always something new to see!), to Camp Mickey & Minnie, it is a great park! The Best! Again, the place is pricey, but we thought it was worth the experience!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank DonNewYorkCity
Reviewed April 6, 2011

I just got back from my trip to Disney a little while back and I am desperately trying to erase the bad memories of Kidani Village. I have stayed at other Disney resorts atleast 5 times in the past 10 years and this was my worst experience so far. I have stayed everywhere from the really inexpensive Pop Century to what was my most expensive stay at the Kidani Village. And the worst experience was the Kidani Village.

We had a 2 br suite, and were happy to pay the $1,100 per night rate simply to get the Disney Experience based on what I have seen in the past. But we were horribly disappointed. The lobby of the hotel is tiny and there is no room for guests to hang out while checking in. The service was incredibly slow and weak. The rooms were very dark and the lighting was very very dark. There were not enough dishes and basic things in the kitchen and we had to keep asking for even the simplest things.

There was NO COFFEE in the room btw. I have NEVER seen a place that will not provide coffee to their guests even if it is a $100/night room. Let alone a $1,100/night room. When we asked for it, it took 1 whole hour to get coffee. And when they did bring it, they asked us if one packet was sufficient and refused to give us more than 2! There was no wireless access and only 1 bedroom had an ethernet connection. We had 4 laptops and Ipads. Thank you Disney, we had not connectivity. I can't remember when the last time was that happened at any hotel!

Room service was EXTREMLY slow. Food was so-so. The distance from the hotel to all parks other than Animal Kingdom is very long and this place is very cut off. All in all it was a really bad experience staying at Kidani Village.

After much begging and pleading I was able to get reservations to move me to the Bay Lake Tower for the last 2 days of my trip. It was truly night and day. Our trip got sooooo much better once we left Kidani Village. Service was much better. The rooms were airy and bright and the distance were ofcourse much shorter to the parks.

If it had not been for the move to Bay Lake, our entire trip would have been a real bust! I hope never to stay at Kidani Village again. Disney, this is not what I have come to expect from our company. You are better than the service you are giving your guests at Kidani.

10  Thank luvtotravel44
Reviewed April 6, 2011

This resort is so beautiful. I think it is one of the most beautiful Disney Hotels. It is a bit far from the parks, but a great hotel.

Reviewed April 4, 2011

Pretty candid here - when you pay $1500 per night for a three bedroom suite, you expect people to clean your room, right? After a long day at disney and finally returning to our room late into the night, our room was not cleaned! I checked to make sure we didn't leave the 'Do Not Disturb' sign on the door and it wasn't.

Excuse me Disney - sorry is not good enough. Sending someone to clean my room at 10:30 when my kids are going to be is not good enough. In my 40 years of traveling, I've never had this happen once.

BTW - the room service here is horrible. STAY AWAY FROM THIS RESORT.

Room Tip: Best tip is to stay somewhere else.
8  Thank tsaoh
Reviewed April 2, 2011

After staying on Disney property twice before we were really looking forward to the special disney treatment but were HORRIBLY disappointed with Kidani Village Lodge. Upon arrival, we were assigned to a room that was still occupied. We had also paid for a savannah view and the view in the room we were originally assigned overlooked a dirt road with a little strip of savannah. Certainly not a true savannah view and not worth the extra dollars we paid for the view. Interestingly, the front desk person told me it was a "good room". I guess the staff is told to tell guests the room is good, but that one certainly wasn't. On the plus side, we were given an upgrade to a 2 bdrm suite due to their error.

We were also disappointed that the resort didn't have WiFi available in the rooms. You have to use an Ethernet cable and there was only 1 connection in a 2 bedroom suite. And to add insult to injury, there's an additional charge to use it - really??? Many hotels 1/5th the cost of this one offer their guests free wifi

Room service was extremely slow - we used it twice and it took over 20 minutes both times just for the customer service team to pick up the line and then an hour or more to have food delivered. Speaking of room service there isn't much selection on the room service menu. I understand they are trying to keep up the African theme, but they could have more tranditional options also available. The rooms were pretty spacious but the construction quality and attention to detail was lacking. The room lighting is also dark due to the dark color choices used on the walls & CFL bulbs.

I would definitely choose another disney resort should I return. We stayed at the Universal Hotels on the days preceding coming to this hotel and thought we'd receive better service than what we received over there - so sad that wasn't the case.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family