“Refreshingly retro low-tech alternative to theme park overload”
Review of Gatorland

Ranked #14 of 126 Outdoor Activities in Orlando
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Gatorland features 3,000 gators and 89 crocodiles, as well as a number of bird and snake exhibits.
Reviewed November 5, 2013

End of story--after dropping a gazillion dollars for full days at Universal and Discovery Cove, my 11- and 14-year-old both found Gatorland to be their favorite part of a long weekend trip to the Orlando area. The whole shooting match, including lunch, and a bunch of inexpensive add-ons to enhance the experience (c'mon...$1.00 for a seed stick to have the birds swarm you in the aviary?!) couldn't have been more than $150 for our family of four. All of the add-ons made for great photo ops. We didn't do the zip-line.

Gatorland has been there since the late 1940s, and I suspect little has changed about the facility in that time...the simple snack bar menu, "folksy" style of writing on the informational signs, on-the-spot cash handling for the add-ons, the corny jokes the handlers tell in the shows, etc. I'm pretty sure the only computers in use there are for the photo sales and ticket office. And for four hours, my kids had no desire to use their own handheld technology for use as anything other than a camera. Amazing.

The staff is knowledgeable and incredibly friendly--they genuinely love what they do and sharing it with you.

In addition to providing budget relief from the cost of the major attractions, we chose Gatorland because we had a limited amount of time on our day of departure--it fit perfectly in the four-hour window we had available. Try that at one of the majors and you'll use that time just getting from and back to your car. That afforded us plenty of time to see all three standard shows in their regular rotation and do a fair amount of exploring of the park, which includes a lot of non-gator exhibits.

1  Thank tubman
Write a ReviewReviews (4,863)
All reviews
in 46 reviews
"birds"
in 820 reviews

Reviewed November 5, 2013

This is a family-friendly attraction, and a value among Orlando attractions. Our boys (10 and 3) absolutely LOVED it! The 10 year old even got his picture taken with a Gator (extra cost), and that has been his favorite thing ever. It appears they are very concerned about treating the gators well, and educating folks. We didn't zip-line; maybe next time. Only downside: We spent too much time (we didn't have much) on the swamp walk. Yes, it was a swamp. Besides bugs, we really didn't see anything that special. Also the final big show of the day (a feeding) was a bit of a bust, but that was because the gators were so lathargic that day. Worth a visit.

1  Thank NMMommaZ
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We had a lovely time at Gatorland we watched all the shows that were very funny we went on the train ride which was very enjoyable, we had our picture taken holding an alligator, had our picture taken gator wrestling and my husband and son held onto a snake. we had lunch there which was very nice the homemade lemonade they sell was lovely and very refreshing. We fed the alligators hot dog sausages and also fed a very cute deer. Chester the dog eating alligator from Tampa is huge. We really enjoyed our time there its a nice change from the other parks and you can tell that is family run

Reviewed November 3, 2013

My fiftieth birthday ....zipping through the trees of Gatorland...have to admit I was frightened but Angel and Jordan set me straight! What a blast! Both of my zip line guides were very knowledgeable about the history behind Gatorland an educational trip too! My first experience at Gatorland was when I was about five, goodness I am as old as Gatorland. Floridians take advantage of what is in your backyard!

1  Thank KimPatton
See more reviews
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We booked a night walk to feed the gators and had the pleasure of George as our guide. What a fantastic guide he was, passionate, helpful, enthusiastic and nothing was too much trouble. The park was closed to other customers but myself, my husband and in laws. He took us to look at the reptiles first and I was able to hold a tarantula, Burmese python, 2 baby alligators, a monitor lizard and a skink. Truly wonderful and just up my street! No pressure on anyone else to hold them but if you have kids i can guarantee they would love this! After a tour of the park and a photo opportunity with one of the gators, we were able to feed the gators in the large enclosure and what a sight it was! It was extremely educational and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I would certainly recommend this to anyone, there is lots to see and do, loads of other animals and birds. Fantastic value for money and a great day out.

1  Thank E E