“Not Worth The Price of Admission”

Disney's Animal Kingdom
Ranked #8 of 428 things to do in Orlando
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: "The largest of the 4 theme parks at Walt Disney World Resort, Disney's Animal Kingdom park is filled with attractions, adventures and entertainment that reflect Walt Disney's dedication to nature and conservation. The park leads the way in animal care, education and research—for an enchanting experience that blends learning with family fun.Home to more than 1,700 animals from 250 species and sprawling across 500 acres of lush landscape, Disney's Animal Kingdom park is the biggest animal-themed park in the world!Disney's Animal Kingdom park is divided into 7 areas:OasisDiscovery Island® areaCamp Minnie-MickeyAfricaRafiki's Planet Watch® areaAsiaDinoland, U.S.A.® areaEncounter rare and majestic animals—and get close enough to pet some of them! Exciting attractions await, along with live and wild entertainment like Broadway-style musical shows and parades that invite you to be part of the excitement.From the spectacular scenery of the African savanna—where you may spot zebras, elephants and hippos—to the high-altitude, roller coaster thrills of Expedition Everest® in Asia, global adventures abound at Disney's Animal Kingdom park.
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 197 helpful votes
“Not Worth The Price of Admission”
Reviewed March 19, 2005

Visited AK on 8 March 2005 with my wife & 2 children and I must say that it is not worth the excessive price of admission. I agree with some of the other reviewers that Animal Kingdom should not cost as much as Magic Kingdom.
The Safari---The line moved rather quickly and the ride itself lasted approx 15 minutes. Unlike the promotional pictures, you really never get that up close & personal with ANY of the animals. They were all quite a distance away (Ie Giraffes & elephants) and the drivers went so fast that it was hard to point out anything to the kids. Overall though, we found the Safari the best part of the Animal Kingdom.
Dinoland---Was very surprised to see "games of chance" booths here which is so "unlike" Disney. We found the Dinoland area kind of Cheesy overall and what you would see at a regular amusement park.
A Bugs Life 3D--BEWARE if you have children under 5 years old. This 3D movie is GUARANTEED to scare the life out of them. The special effects, noise & darkness are quite heavy duty.
Disney promotes Animal Kingdon as "NATAZOO", but honestly, it is VERY much a zoo with a few rides thrown in.
Animal Kingdom is a half a day Park, if the crowds aren't too big.
I thought we got our money's worth at the Magic Kingdom, Epcot and MGM, but felt a little cheated at Animal Kingdom.

30 Thank onemangang1000

Baltimore, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 113 helpful votes
“Just 'okay'”
Reviewed February 27, 2005

I went to AK about a month after it openned. It was very crowded and there weren't many attractions. I figured that the lack of attractions was due to the park being so new - wrong. I went back in 2003 and it was the same. We easily finished the park in a few hours. This would not be a big deal if it cost less to get in. But to pay almost $60 - the same as Magic Kingdom - is wrong.

What I enjoyed most about the park were: 1. The character breakfast in Dino Land. The food was very good! Especially the cheesy potatoes.
2. Dinosaur! ride. This is the most fun ride! Do not skip it! I rode it twice, and my picture is hillarious! 3. The 3D Bug movie was great!

Other than that, there wasn't that much to see. And I thought the Safari was just okay.

So when you go to this park, just remember that you can probably fit something else on your schedule after it, because it will not take all day like Magic Kingdom.

13 Thank Glendamax
A TripAdvisor Member
“Don't waste your time”
Reviewed February 22, 2005

My family, myself, husband and our three sons ( 6,5 and 2) and my sisters family( sons 8 and 6 ) went to Disney for a family vacation in June of 04. We had planned on a character breakfast at Animal Kingdom. It was wonderful but that was the only thing nice about this park. Like other reviews, it was a glorified zoo with a few rides. It was also so crowded, to be expected at WDW but this place was horriblly crowded. We ate, tried to ride the Dino ride and left. We were all so disappointed. We are going back this summer and will NOT go to Animal Kingdom. Save your time and money and go to your home zoo and spend your vacation at MK, Epcot and MGM.

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
“DISAPPOINTED!!”
Reviewed January 8, 2005

This was our second visit to the animal kingdom - first one was just when it had opened!

I was disappointed that there was really nothing new to look forward to at the park. The park generally looked shabbier than before. I found that some of the areas such as Asia and Africa seemed to make a mockery of the Asian and African countries! My biggest complaint was the toilets which were so filthy and had wet floors - I didn't see one clean one!!

The Swahili pronounciation of theAK's safari Guides was also all wrong but I suppose no one realises this as not a lot of Africans would visit the AK because they can go on a real safari.

The only good thing to look at AK were the plants which have been brought over from all over the world.

My recommendation would be to give this Park a miss if you have already seen animals at a zoo in your own country.

Over and out from Simba 1

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
baileypie79
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 109 helpful votes
“Disney's Own Version of a ZOO”
Reviewed December 12, 2004

The main reason I choice to go to animal kingdom on my weekend trip to the area was because I had watched a special about in on the Travel Network. The thing that made me want to go was the safari ride which I guess I had missed heard the time length of it on the show--so it was the 1st thing I wanted to see upon getting to the park. The ride is a bumpy no longer then 15 min ride & half the time you cant really see the animals---at least close enough to take a good picture. I am from NY and the Bronx Zoo has a much similar ride experience except they call it a monrail ride instead. I did see some cool animals but it wasnt really what I had except. The next thing I saw was the bird of prey show---well worth just to see the beauty of some of the birds--was able to get good photos too at the show. Also, went through the walk through animal exhibit in asia---well worth it too see the tigers--I have awesome photos of the tigers. The raft ride--sucked it lasted for what felt like one min & I didnt even get wet. One of my favorite things was the bugs life show--it was very funny. The dinoland--only has rides no animals. For a park that is called animal kingdom-I was expecting more animals & more variety.---I was disappointed with the lack of animals..then again I grew up with the bronx zoo less then a hour away from my house. Overall, I wouldnt go back but at the same time I did manage to obtain some nice photos of the animals & the bugs life ride was cool. Also, the park doesnt stay open as long as the other parks in fact it closed at 5 and the rest of the parks stayed open longer yet you had to pay the same price as the rest of the place. Keep that in mind--bascially if you live near a nice zoo dont waste your money on this park and go to the other ones at disney instead.

13 Thank baileypie79