“3 laps goes by real quick”

Richard Petty Driving Experience
More attraction details
Owner description: Drive or ride shotgun in a NASCAR race car at Disney World Speedway!Take command of the wheel and experience real speed first-hand by driving a NASCAR race car around the mile-long, tri-oval racetrack! You're in for the thrill of a lifetime as you test your driving skills during one of our 8, 18 or 30 lap programs.Looking to enjoy the ride from the passenger's seat? Experience real life racing excitement as you ride shotgun in a 2-seat NASCAR race car driven by one of our professional driving instructors during your 3-lap qualifying run. You'll quickly learn what it takes to compete in NASCAR as you reach speeds up to 140 MPH.
new york city
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“3 laps goes by real quick”
Reviewed October 13, 2010

My wife and I participated in the ride-a-long on Thursday in Orlando/Disney. No appointment necessary just show up. When we showed up 11 am, we were the only customers there and to wait 15 minutes for the driver. Slowly other participants came in afterwards. They put you in the driving suit and helmet. Take pictures now because once you are near the car, only the official photographs for purchased are allowed. We each had 3 laps and you really don't feel the speed of the car until you bank the turns. Then your helmet/head feels like it's going the other direction. If I had the money, I personally would have done the next level which is to drive the car myself. It's something I told my wife we can check off our bucket list. Too bad the Daytona Racetrack was under rennovation otherwise we would have driving there instead.

1 Thank BklynFung

Framingham, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“one of the things to do b 4 the inevitable.”
Reviewed October 1, 2010

I'm a product of the 50's. insatiable neeeed for sound and speed. After many what to get dad for his birthday, for my 70th they gave me the rookie driving experience and a 3 lap ride around at NH speedway. What a blast and a real nice family day. We had so much fun they gave me a repeat for a xmas gift. this will be an annual trip for us as long as i"m around. Don't miss it. PS bring a camera forsure and you can stay as short as 2 hrs. or all day.

1 Thank biggsidd
Canyon Lake
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed February 18, 2010

I bought the rookie experience for my husband as a surprise birthday present....he LOVED it. First of all you get greeted/welcomed by such a wonderful staff then they give you your uniform. They go through alot of safety reviews and explain the experience to you in great detail. THEN....finally off to drive your car. Safety is first with the RIchard Petty team. They make it fun and very memorable. My husband is already talking about "the next" time. Once you buy the experience once, you can do it again during 1 year for 1/2 the price. We plan to spread the word. This was a wonderful experience. Again, the staff played a big part in making this a great experience. I recommend this to everyone! If I could give it 100 stars I would. Trust me, you will not be dissapointed. Yesenia

3 Thank yesy1176
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 138 helpful votes
“The Cinematic Review”
Reviewed October 13, 2009

Sunrise. Chinners is already up and quivering with anticipation. A bit of tumbleweed rolls across in the background. Spaghetti Western music is playing (oooeeeoooeeeooo). A drop of dew hangs from his nose. His face is wrinkled and tanned - a close-up shot reveals a bead of sweat above his left eye. This is a man under stress.

In one hand he grasps his driving license. His other hand is poised over his wacky noodle. He is beginning to look tense but in an attractive way. He kisses Mrs Chinners one last time (she is paying). Then his crash helmet is donned and attached to his thing. (I cannot remember what the thing was called but it stops you breaking your neck).

He reluctantly hands over his noodle and gets in the car. Through the window. He can feel his racing suit chafing as he does so. Momentarily, he gets stuck. One leg is dangling precariously outside the vee hic all. A helper picks his leg up and forces it through, straps him in, and warns him not to show off. Another piece of tumbleweed rolls past. The music changes. "Born To Be Wild" starts as the motor is fired up. Christ, it's loud.

He says something to the helper, and the helper says something back. No-one can hear what has been said - it is that loud. Chinners is confused. He asks again, and the helper shrugs his shoulders. Chinners shrugs back. A piece of tumbleweed blows through the window and into his face. He cocks an eye at the helper. The helper cocks an eye back. They look at each other, cock-eyed. (Tommy Cooper).

The chase car starts off. Chinners slips the clutch. Wheels spin and screech. In no time, he is flying down the track, avoiding tumbleweed. As he approaches the outside of the envelope, he changes to second gear. And third. And fourth. There is no 5th gear on this road trip. God knows, he tries.

Skillfully, he maintains 3 car lengths distance. Eventually. The speed is building, building. The car begins to enter light buffet, the precursor to supersonic speed. It feels as if every muscle and sinew is straining. He must be doing at least 200mph. He is lapped by a faster car. Three times over an 8 lap period. Perhaps he isn't really doing 200mph after all.

Before he knows it, it is all over. He coasts into the pit area. The crowd is going wild. All 8 of them. Mrs Chinners looks up from her knitting, a relieved smile on her face - not a stitch dropped.

The helper unstraps the smiling Chinners. Waving to the crowd, he falls out of the window onto the hot tarmac. A piece of tumbleweed breaks his fall. It is over and time for a McMuffin.

7 Thank Chinners
Palm Bay, Florida
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Awesome Experience”
Reviewed July 24, 2009

Rookie experience purchased for my 40th birthday. All the staff were very friendly. Everything was explained in detail, with a few laughs along the way to settle any nerves anyone might've had.
The ride itself was simply awesome. reaching speeds of 122 mph might not seem too fast, but these are no ordinary road cars!!
Discounts are available for 12 months on further experiences, which is a nice benefit. Highly recommended to anyone who is considering giving it a go.

2 Thank Paul B