“Loved it!! Will return Again & Again & Again....”

Universal Studios Florida
Ranked #8 of 452 things to do in Orlando
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This vast complex houses two theme parks (Universal Studios, for movie rides, and Islands of Adventure, for thrills), an entertainment/nightlife complex (CityWalk) and a variety of hotels. You can buy passes for admission to the parks or just visit the bars, restaurants and stores on the CityWalk.
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage
Reviewed July 14, 2006

Recently returned from a vacation in Orlando with my sister (we're both over 20 years old) & had a wonderful time in Orlando. Universal Studios was the BEST!!! The attractions were more for adults than the Magic Kingdom. They placed free lockers for guest to use in front of some of the attractions (they are FREE for 2 hours). THE MUMMY RIDE IS A MUST SEE!!! If you go to Orlando I would recommend Universal Studios and Island of Adventure, but would definitely recommend buying tickets online (discounted $$) for both parks because they have an admission price for each. We purchased 2-day passes & 3 additional days were FREE (a total of 5 days for the price of 2), we went to Disney some days and ended in Universal due to the free days!!! FUNFUNFUN

10  Thank chichiNY
Write a ReviewReviews (32,692)
All reviews
in 1,080 reviews
"great park"
in 742 reviews

Reviewed July 2, 2006

This was our first trip to Universal Studios (June 18-21, 2006). We decided on Universal instead of Disney as with Universal you can stay on-site and use your room key as an express pass. We loved the Royal Pacific and the express pass was priceless!

Our favorite ride is Revenge of the Mummy. My kids (10 & 12) were a little scared to ride it at first, but after the first ride they immediately wanted to ride it again. I loved Sherk 4-D, the way the characters appear right in front of you is amazing. Terminator was also one of my favorites, plus all the other rides, shows, and attractions are great.

At first I thought Jaws was a little dated, but after riding it a couple of more times it really grew on me. Using the express pass we were able to walk right on the boat and avoid the 45 minute line. Note that if there is lightning in the area they will close Jaws. We had a hard time finding Jaws open after the first day, so if this is a must do on your list, best to get it done first in case the weather turns bad.

I loved the way Universal has the streets laid out and it was fun just walking down the streets of the minature towns. We ate mostly outside the park, but the couple of times we ate inside the park, the food was good. We shopped at the gift shops and never had to wait long to make a purchase.

We bought Flex Tickets and did run into the fingerprint problem mentioned by others. No matter how hard I tired, my fingerprint would not read and validate my pass. Usually after trying a couple of times they just let me go on through, but one time I had to try over and over again, guess it depends on the ticket taker. My son had the same problem, but my wife and daughter had better luck and most times it read their fingerprints.

I would highly reccommend Universal and the express pass.

29  Thank Randyb
A TripAdvisor Member
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed June 30, 2006

I love Universal Studios! Disney is fun, but a little tiring, if you go every year. I'm not a huge roller coaster fan, and I still had plenty to do. My sister, who is a roller coaster buff, also had lots of fun. My 3-year old brother also LOVED IT! WE go every year, and we never get tired of it. If you are planning to go to Universal, here are some tips: Stay at the hotels owned by Universal. The hotels are great, and at each of the 3 hotels, they have an awesome pool. Plus, is you stay at one of the 3 hotels, you get to go to use the other 2 pools. Also, there is a boat ride to citywalk, Island of Adventure, and Universal Studios. (I suggest walking, it's faster.) Also, me and my sister wanted to go to Universal, although we already spent the day at IOA,. My parents went back to the Hard Rock, while me and my sister went to Universal Studios. The biggest reason why to stay at these hotels is UNIVERSAL EXPRESS. The greatest thing that these hotels provide for you. Me and my family never had to wait. Just completley awesome. I do suggest not to go if you have younger children that get afriad of rides, and if you do, I agree it's a waste of money. My brother is not easily scared, so he can handle it. Hoped this review helped!

19  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 16, 2006

We spent one day at Universal Studios in Florida. Purchasing our tickets in advance from Wal-mart saved us a few dollars and meant that we didnt have to queue when we got there. After paying to park (now the accepted theme park norm) we proceeded to a multi storey car park that made it very easy for us to find our car at the end of the day. Despite the rain, the park was busy and the atmosphere was fantastic. No expense spared is how i would describe this park. The 4-d shows are a must. Earthquake, Twister and Jaws were our favourites but we loved all of the attractions. The only thing I would say is that I think they are over cautious with their ride warnings. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and had I followed their advice I would not have been able to do anything! Obviously the warnings are there for everyones protection I understand that, but I considered none of the attractions there to be a danger at my stage of pregnancy. Obviuosly If I had been 35 weeks it may have been different as the restraints may not have gone round my belly!
A fantastic day. WIll definitely visit again!

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
See more reviews
Reviewed June 7, 2006

Perfect place for children too old for DIsney and too young for RollerCoasters! I've read several reviews of parents complaining about the rides frightening their 5 year olds... HELLO!!! Even the commercials tell you that this place is for older kids! My son is 8, and he was still a little frightened of some things! (Like Revenge of the Mummy)
Park was VERY Clean, easy to get around. The lines got pretty long (about 45 mins), my suggestion is to stay at an onsite hotel (free express passes ALL day) or purchase an express pass (only can be used a limited time per ride).... We went at the end of May, the temps got up to about 96, it was hot & humid, but we brought small spray fans that clipped to our fanny packs (Walmart $3).
My son got to meet LOTS of characters, and the staff members were very patient waiting for us to take pictures. (Except for the ET store, the staff there wouldn't allow us to take pictures -- you had to pay for them $22).
Most of the rides have themed stores that you have to go through once the ride is over...
The BEST place to eat was Melvin's Drive Thru! It was cheaper than most and tastest better... (burgers reminded me of Burger King burgers).
My ONLY complaint was entering Universal Studios, they have this "technology"--- they fingerprint you upon arrival, and everytime you enter... my entire family never passed the fingerprint test.... We had to wait in the hot sun and have our fingerprints read over and over again, until they just pressed a button and let us through... What a pain! (BTW, tell them to press the F2 button, it by passes any error reading when it reads your pass ticket or fingerprint.)
OVerall, this park was well themed, clean, staff was friendly and helpful. Actors at the shows were GREAT!

Favorite Ride: Revenge of the Mummy