“Spirit of Shamu Lives On.”
Review of SeaWorld Orlando

Ranked #11 of 442 things to do in Orlando
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Immerse yourself in wonder at SeaWorld® Orlando, where the aquatic world comes alive. Only here can you experience Orlando's new tallest, fastest and longest roller coaster, Mako, named for one of the ocean’s fastest known sharks. Then, see the world through the eyes of a penguin in the thrilling, chilling adventure of Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin™, and laugh to the all-new Clyde & Seamore’s Sea Lion High™ show. Here you can also climb aboard and ride the mighty Manta®, experience the power and grace of killer whales in the awe-inspiring Shamu® show One Ocean®, and share an epic voyage with sea turtles on the 3D 360 TurtleTrek®.
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I loved SeaWorld in 1979, when I first visited. I still love it.
Viewpoints vary, but I think SeaWorld does a lot more good things for animals, than bad.
There was a few paid political announcements.
I loved Mime Pirate Tom at the Pirate Ship, where the sea lion performs. Hilarious.
The dolphin show was great. The divers and trapeze performers were very good. But I would have preferred more animal performers.
The killer whales were only doing an upclose show, as a new stadium was being build.
No more water skiers, as in 1979. They were good!
The rescued penguins were cool. Literally.
The Manta ride was very cool. I could not ride it all day, with the way they lock you in. (I could ride the Griffon at Busch Gardens Williamsburg VA though).
Food in the park was good, fair price for park food.

Write a ReviewReviews (28,744)
All reviews
in 279 reviews
"busch gardens"
in 293 reviews

Reviewed February 1, 2014

OK but not great. Started badly when the sandwiches we packed (hate to eat the junk, expensive food sold in the park) were not allowed in. Told "no food because there are animals" What a lie! Food is sold in the Park! - just should have been honest and said no food because we want you to buy our expensive junk. Our Groupon tickets would not scan because "the equipment is very old" so it took a long time to manually enter our 4 tickets.
The personnel are very nice but not as many as in a Disney Park and not nearly as knowledgeable.
The shows were entertaining especially the Pirate one and the animal show. Shamu stadium is being renovated but the training show was interesting and enjoyable.
Overall would probably return when our younger grandchildren are old enough but not until after we take them to the Disney Parks.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

Not impressed. Had tickets included with Discovery Cove and thankful we didn't pay any extra money to go or we really would have felt gypped. Place seemed run down and dated. Shows were not at all educational about sea life and were more focused on theater and acrobatics of the trainers where animals were just props. The kids left feeling sad for the animals. Depressing to see these beautiful majestic animals in their sad little tanks for no purpose except entertainment. This place isn't cheap and your money would be better spent going to cirque du soleil and a boat excursion to see wild dolphins and whales.

14  Thank kibloo
Reviewed February 1, 2014

This was park was good, well worth a visit but I still felt a little disappointed with it - partly because I thought i would love it (again - me 2nd visit, 10 years apart).

Shamu & dolphin shows were enjoyable and it was great, as always, to see these majestic animals look healthy and perform their show. But, i cringed at the eighties style music / costumes and found the dancing a bit naff - other people with love it, it was really well done and professionally staged (as always) but it just wasn't my thing!

Loved the Clyde and Seymour show - get there early to see the 'concierge' who shows you to your seats. I don't want to be a spoiler, but he's absolutely brilliant, funny and i'd be happy to go and see him alone.... Cast were brilliant, some nice improv and very entertaining.

The main reason for the 3* is that I felt that it was very expensive. Food, snacks, drinks, lockers were all more than at Disney and Universal and the whole thing felt very, very commercial. The vendors at the shows were selling very small, plasticy gifts that were very expensive - two small items (eg, key rings, torches, bubble blowers etc) could easily set you back $30.

It is well worth going. We loved it, you will love it, i just expected more - probably a victim of its own success and high standards!

1  Thank RichardN28
See more reviews
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I had a great time there. We'd previously watched that movie that came out and decided to go to see if it was true. We got to see the shamu family up close, they kept the back open and we could come and go and see them in the underwater viewing area. I like the look the back tank has. My daughters loved talking to the trainers and seeing the big one up close. The big one was playing with a little one with a toy, he seemed happy and was fed even without doing anything. This is an experience that shouldn't be missed at all. I did the wild arctic tour with my girls, it is well worth the price we all got to touch and learn about harbor seals, got to interact with a beluga (who had to get a 3 second time out when he didn't want to stay with us but they had another trainer call him, he asked for a 'behavior' and fed him, while they sent another one over who played with us) and we got to feed a HUGE walrus. Pictures were included!!! the only complaint I had was waiting on the long lines to get into the park, got to get there super early. All in all it was a great day.